MACHINE Putters Picture Thread

Comments

• B-ManB-Man silky smooth Members Posts: 1,301 ✭✭
    Nice one Dave. How do you say "kid in a candy store" in Texan? Looking forward to seeing other type hosels (or variations of current ones) and what else your new milling equipment can create.
    Vapor Speed Driver
    TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW
    TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW
    Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW
    Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, 56/10, 60/9
    TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
    BOOM!
  • DB MACHINEDB MACHINE Sponsors Posts: 934 ✭✭
    Thanks B-Man! It is so much more fun when its just steps from my desk and workbench. I'm already dreaming about our next one (bigger, faster, more HP!!!). lol

In the mean time, this little puppy sure does a nice job. Attached are photos of the second op, in action "making chips" and after lopping off the back side (nested nicely in its dedicated soft jaws).

You might start to recognize this shape from a TIG welded prototype that went out on Tour last year, and a few lucky owners ordered as one-off's.

More to follow tomorrow!

Thanks,

-Dave

• choeppnerchoeppner MACHINE Putters Sponsors, Charter Members Posts: 10,298 ✭✭
    Looking Good Dave image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Wait till yall see some of the items in the works image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> This is just the tip of the iceberg image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Machine_DLR_Header_Logo02.jpg

Please feel free to contact me at:
    [email="[email protected]?subject=MACHINE%20Putters"][email protected][/email]
    edited Nov 2, 2011 #3425
    Thanks Chris!

Here's a photo of the brand new Modular Center Shaft-Over Hosel. As previously noted, we made a TIG welded prototype that was used by a prominent player on Tour. Now that we have our own CNC maching center in house, we can now mill new designs like these from scratch. These new hosels are very clean at address, and are simple and reliable to line up, as you don't have the hosel cup jutting out over the leading edge. We made a very limited initial batch in 303 and 1018 for anyone who is interested!

[url="http://www.coolclubs.com/dallasFortWorthLocation.php"]http://www.coolclubs...rthLocation.php[/url]

[url="http://www.hankhaney.com/Facilities/CastleHills.aspx"]http://www.hankhaney...astleHills.aspx[/url]

The teams there have done a terrific job with the facilities, the putter fitting studio is really cool, and the practice green is terrific! We are in the process of installing a full compliment of putters, components and Demo models, and will test prototypes and new designs with the pros, their students and guests. If you live or work in the DFW area, or come through on travel, be sure to visit this really cool facility and see our latest and greatest work while you are there! image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> (call for appointments for fittings or lessons). Hope some of you can make it!

Thanks,

-Dave
  • ThaddyThaddy Members Posts: 1,191
    Dave, with your new CNC mill, will you be able to make similar necks with different offsets? For example, a plumbers neck with 1/2 shaft offset? I really like the clean look of that "center" shaft!
  • MGPTMGPT wowBOBwow Members Posts: 700
    Couple of questions:

-What is the difference in terms of feel and durability between the 303 SS and the 1018 Carbon? And which would you recommend?

-Dare I ask, how much would I be looking at approximately for a damascus?!

-Is the liquid sapphire finish available to the public and if so, what sort of upcharge is it and what metal can it be applied to?

Thanks!
    edited Nov 4, 2011 #3428
    Thaddy wrote:

Dave, with your new CNC mill, will you be able to make similar necks with different offsets? For example, a plumbers neck with 1/2 shaft offset? I really like the clean look of that "center" shaft!

Yes, we will be adding a plumber neck with a half shaft offset to the modular hosel options. Similar to the way we tested prototypes on Tour with modified cut and TIG-welded modular center shaft over hosels, we have been doing the same with the 1/2-shaft offset plumber necks. But now we can do all the CAD CAM in house and experiment much faster and more efficiently with many different shapes, amounts of offset, lengths, etc. You can probably expect to see this model for 2012, and in a new length or two as well. image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

MPellow wrote:

Couple of questions:

-What is the difference in terms of feel and durability between the 303 SS and the 1018 Carbon? And which would you recommend?

-Dare I ask, how much would I be looking at approximately for a damascus?!

-Is the liquid sapphire finish available to the public and if so, what sort of upcharge is it and what metal can it be applied to?

Thanks!

Thanks for your interest and questions.

303 is the most durable, and many customers believe ours is one of, if not the softest feeling around, due to the aggressive VMG grooves on our faces. There is less surface area contacting the ball, the grooves bite the surface of the ball and really feel soft, yet solid. 303 can be transformed by bead blasting, peening, scratching, with a torch, and other means, to change the color and brightness.

The 1018 Carbon steel is very soft yet solid feeling (more so than 303). It does require more maintenance though. Nickel plate is probably the most durable, followed by copper plate, but copper will tarnish (unless its treated with a dark patina or clear coat, which have their own unique maintenance needs). Hot Salts Gunmetal Blue finish is a great finish, looks beautiful, feels fantastic, but does need to be taken care of.

So, if you want looks and durability to go with a great feel, I would say either 303 in Morning Dew mist, Antique Charcoal (for a slightly darker and more interesting finish), on the lower maintenance side of the scale, or 1018 Carbon with Nickel plating on the best feeling side.

Our Damascus putters start at $1,250 for a M1A and go up depending on the number of Damascus pieces and other custom options.

We experienced some durability issues with the 3rd party supplied Liquid Sapphire finish, so we have decided not to offer it going forward (unless the supplier improves it to our satisfaction). It was applied only to Carbon steel putters.

Thanks again for your interest!

-Dave
    Thanks for the reply Dave.

To be honest I'm looking for a lifelong putter. Putter hoing is the one part of hoing that doesnt excite me!

So durability is key for me. Also something that will look stealthy with age rather than tatty (if that makes sense?)

Could you possibly post a pic of a morning dew finish and a antique charcoal finish for comparison?
    Hello Sir,

I can get those photo's in just in a minute image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> On the drive home right now image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks in advance

-Chris

• GeoGeo Happy Geo's Day in the momentMarshals Posts: 7,105 mod
    MPellow wrote:

To be honest I'm looking for a lifelong putter. Putter hoing is the one part of hoing that doesnt excite me!

So durability is key for me. Also something that will look stealthy with age rather than tatty (if that makes sense?)

Could you possibly post a pic of a morning dew finish and a antique charcoal finish for comparison?

Not for nothing, but I'm betting a MACHINE will be what you're looking for. My own MACHINE stopped my putter purchasing for over two years--a pretty big deal, given my personal "issues." image/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> The stainless putters are plenty durable, and with the right finish, develops an EXTREMELY nice "worn" look over time. Mine is stainless with a light morning dew satin and antique charcoal finish and looks better now than the day it first arrived. It doesn't patina, as stainless steel doesn't react with oxygen or whatever, but it wears beautifully.

The face milling too, is a huge draw. I know deep face milling is en vogue right now, but I personally detest it. It makes a putter look cheap in my opinion--just a fast pass through the flywheel, creating sharp points on the face that can make an otherwise awesome putter feel like mushy crap (again, personal opinion). MACHINE's milling, is different. The face is milled flat, then the vertical milled grooves are added--it'll feel softer than a flat/non-grooved face, but it still feels solid.

Here's some pics of mine:

GARBAGE02.jpg

GARBAGE04.jpg

GARBAGE12.jpg
    :hi:
    Here you go image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Antique Charcoal:

MP_M2A_S_Goldstrom_Redo_14ct.jpg

MP_M2A_G_Cunningham_Redo_WIP_14c2-12.jpg

MP_M1A_P_Chiu_303_WIP_11c.jpg

Morning Dew Satin:

MP_M1A_4pt0_J_Robins_10ad.jpg

MP_M1A_4pt0_J_Robins_10ch.jpg

Thanks George image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> That one is looking really good still image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks a lot for doing that Chris.

Both finishes look great but I would probably prefer something darker. Just been looking through the thread and 3 finishes stand out for me:

Antique Patina

Rainbow Flame

Hot salts blue gunmetal

Which of these would work well with the 303SS?

And my other question, with a standard plumbers neck what sort of face balance would I be looking at? I'd like 3'oclock or maybe face balance in an M2A converter with either beefy or fat back flange.
    Hello Sir,

Shot you a PM image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Please let me know how I can help.

Thanks

-Chris

• SnuflesSnufles Hugz Members Posts: 2,723
    NWS Alpine wrote:

Machine does it again!!!

I wonder who is the genius with amazing taste that ordered this putter. It comes with one of every weight so It can be as heavy as 380g. The reason for that is because it has a second hosel exactly the same with a Belly shaft so this putter can convert back and forth with a turn of a wrench. Hand bent round hosels and heavy melting really smooth out this putter.

That is a serious looker, very nice.good.gif
    Had a couple more questions I wanted to ask Chris by email but thought others migth like to know as well:

1. Can you put some photos up of the available grips and explain the performance differences?

2. Can you explain the benefits of the UST FF shaft?

3. Do you have accessories avaiable to the public ie. caps, towels, bags, markers etc and if so PLEASE post some pics!

4. And finally, and in all seriousness, how much would it cost to have this EXACT putter made up??

weaver93 wrote:

• UnderPar18UnderPar18 Previously Ecsugolf1 Members Posts: 5,635 ✭✭
    beruo wrote:

MPellow wrote:

Not for nothing, but I'm betting a MACHINE will be what you're looking for. My own MACHINE stopped my putter purchasing for over two years--a pretty big deal, given my personal "issues." image/laugh.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> The stainless putters are plenty durable, and with the right finish, develops an EXTREMELY nice "worn" look over time. Mine is stainless with a light morning dew satin and antique charcoal finish and looks better now than the day it first arrived. It doesn't patina, as stainless steel doesn't react with oxygen or whatever, but it wears beautifully.

The face milling too, is a huge draw. I know deep face milling is en vogue right now, but I personally detest it. It makes a putter look cheap in my opinion--just a fast pass through the flywheel, creating sharp points on the face that can make an otherwise awesome putter feel like mushy crap (again, personal opinion). MACHINE's milling, is different. The face is milled flat, then the vertical milled grooves are added--it'll feel softer than a flat/non-grooved face, but it still feels solid.

Here's some pics of mine:

GARBAGE02.jpg

GARBAGE04.jpg

GARBAGE12.jpg

That is the nicest looking putter I have ever seen. So simple looking, yet looks sooo amazing. You are lucky to own this putter
    edited Nov 7, 2011 #3439
    Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I wanted to share some pics of a MACHINE that is almost complete and ready to ship to it's new owner image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

This is a Limited Edition MACHINE 4.0 M1A Adjuster with a Damascus Steel Head, and a Damascus Steel Plumber Neck. This customer wanted a Custom Sight Triangle on the topline and custom stamping on the neck image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

The Head and Neck have all been finished in our Hot Salts Gun Metal Blue Finish image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> The Damascus Medallion was given a custom Rainbow Torch Finish image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Enjoy image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

-Chris

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14c.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14cha.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14ad.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14f.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14s.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14chc.jpg
    Post edited by Unknown User on

• w8liftrw8liftr w8lifting, club swinging, Metal Monster!!! ClubWRX Posts: 2,253 ✭✭
    Great putters as always!

I've been away for a while. We bought another house and started a massive remodel job on it the day we closed. Between work and the house I've been averaging 16 hours/day. We are close to completion and moving by Thanksgiving. I haven't touched a club in way too longrussian_roulette.gif I'll be back soongood.gif
    Great to hear from you Tommy image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Please tell me part of the remodel was adding a putting green. LOL

Looking forward to hearing from you

-Chris

DB MACHINE wrote:

Thaddy wrote:

Yes, we will be adding a plumber neck with a half shaft offset to the modular hosel options. Similar to the way we tested prototypes on Tour with modified cut and TIG-welded modular center shaft over hosels, we have been doing the same with the 1/2-shaft offset plumber necks. But now we can do all the CAD CAM in house and experiment much faster and more efficiently with many different shapes, amounts of offset, lengths, etc. You can probably expect to see this model for 2012, and in a new length or two as well. image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks Dave! Looking forward to seeing some examples. That's a model I would be very interested in trying out image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    w8liftr wrote:

Great putters as always!

I've been away for a while. We bought another house and started a massive remodel job on it the day we closed. Between work and the house I've been averaging 16 hours/day. We are close to completion and moving by Thanksgiving. I haven't touched a club in way too longrussian_roulette.gif I'll be back soongood.gif

Welcome back Tommy! Great to hear from you. Congrats on the new house. I'm sure all the extra work and long hours will be well worth it in the long run. Hope you get back to the links soon!

All the best,

-Dave
    Thaddy wrote:

DB MACHINE wrote:

Thaddy wrote:

Thanks Dave! Looking forward to seeing some examples. That's a model I would be very interested in trying out image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks! I posted a photo of one of the TIG welded prototypes in the Frank-N Eye putter thread. Obviously a different head style on that one, but you can get the basic look of the neck. I'll dig up photos of the Tour putter we made, and the other hand cut TIG welded one for comparison, and post them here. The milled styles will be a few more weeks as we work through new head styles and other projects in the cue.

Thanks again,

-Dave
    DB MACHINE wrote:

Thaddy wrote:

DB MACHINE wrote:

Thaddy wrote:

Thanks! I posted a photo of one of the TIG welded prototypes in the Frank-N Eye putter thread. Obviously a different head style on that one, but you can get the basic look of the neck. I'll dig up photos of the Tour putter we made, and the other hand cut TIG welded one for comparison, and post them here. The milled styles will be a few more weeks as we work through new head styles and other projects in the cue.

Thanks again,

-Dave

Dave, that's exactly the neck style I've been picturing in my mind! I'm looking forward to working with Chris again on my order when they're ready next year image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    I'll definitely let you know as soon as they are ready image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Chicks dig me cuz I rarely wear underwear Members Posts: 3,864 ✭✭
    choeppner wrote:

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I wanted to share some pics of a MACHINE that is almost complete and ready to ship to it's new owner image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

This is a Limited Edition MACHINE 4.0 M1A Adjuster with a Damascus Steel Head, and a Damascus Steel Plumber Neck. This customer wanted a Custom Sight Triangle on the topline and custom stamping on the neck image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

The Head and Neck have all been finished in our Hot Salts Gun Metal Blue Finish image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> The Damascus Medallion was given a custom Rainbow Torch Finish image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

-Chris

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14c.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14cha.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14ad.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14f.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14s.jpg

MP_M1Aa_Damas_Ferrer_WIP_14chc.jpg

Oh WOW! That is my dream putter! It must cost more than my car! Love it. Great job.
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/font]
    Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I wanted to share pics of one more MACHINE that was just finished image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

This is a MACHINE Damascus M1A Fixer with a Damascus Steel Head, a Damascus Steel Plumber Neck and a Copper Cavity Medallion image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> This MACHINE has been finished in our Hot Salts Gun Metal Blue Finish image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

-Chris

MP_M1AF_S_Homstead_LH_Damascus_10c.jpg

MP_M1AF_S_Homstead_LH_Damascus_10f.jpg

MP_M1AF_S_Homstead_LH_Damascus_10s.jpg

• weaver93weaver93 Members Posts: 1,038
    choeppner wrote:

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> I wanted to share pics of one more MACHINE that was just finished image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

This is a MACHINE Damascus M1A Fixer with a Damascus Steel Head, a Damascus Steel Plumber Neck and a Copper Cavity Medallion image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> This MACHINE has been finished in our Hot Salts Gun Metal Blue Finish image/smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

-Chris

MP_M1AF_S_Homstead_LH_Damascus_10c.jpg

MP_M1AF_S_Homstead_LH_Damascus_10f.jpg

MP_M1AF_S_Homstead_LH_Damascus_10s.jpg

I really like all the damascus putters I have seen Dave build, but I must say this one SICK! I don't know if it is the finish or the pattern in the steel, but I would putt left hand to play this one!!!!
  • chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members Posts: 8,538 ✭✭
    What is the feel like on the Damascus relative to carbon or stainless?

Also, trying to get a feel for what color the Damascus is with the hot salts finish. Is it grayish, or brownish, or a little of both? Can't tell what color is from the background, and what's from the putter.
    Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
    WITB Link
    edited Nov 13, 2011 #3451

What is the feel like on the Damascus relative to carbon or stainless?

Also, trying to get a feel for what color the Damascus is with the hot salts finish. Is it grayish, or brownish, or a little of both? Can't tell what color is from the background, and what's from the putter.

Hi Mike,

The Damascus is softer than Carbon or Stainless. The makeup of the Damascus used here is four types of Carbon and one layer of Nickel, folded approx. 32 times to create the raw billet. The layers add to the softness, as they break up vibrations as they tend to flow across the grain but not through it (nearly as much).

A former #1 player in the world putted with two different models, and said they were some of the best feeling putters he had ever tried. He is under contract to use another putter, otherwise I think he would have like to game one. Maybe both! lol

The colors are mostly blue / black, blue / grey and silver (the nickel), with very slight hints of bronze. The different types of carbon steel have different compositions of metals, take polishing differently, and acid etch at different rates, making the various shades of blue / black and blue grey.

There is a subtle iridescence to the colors as well as normally seem in Gunmetal Bluing, especially the deep dark bluing you get with the Hot Salts method and hot oil bath quenching afterwards. Those colors shift in the light, and are hard to see and fully appreciate in a still photo.

In this particular putter, you are seeing the billet copper medallion reflecting in the cavity, and in the photo of the sole, the reflection of my hand in the face at the heel as I hold the putter for the photo.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all the posts and great comments everyone.

-Dave

PS: As I posted elsewhere, the way we orient the grain, running across the face, and the way the acid etches the carbon, we actually see "micro grooves" in the plateau's between the milled grooves (which are actually already grooves-within-grooves as you can see in the close-ups of George's (beruo)'s putter in the thread above). Those micro grooves within grooves within grooves really contribute to the super soft feel. It is still responsive though, since it is an all-metal face. -db2