2019 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

Comments

• 18majors18majors  1863WRX Points: 1,293Members Posts: 1,863 Platinum Tees

On -, @Argonne69 said:

The 2025 U.S. Women's Open has been awarded to Erin Hills. 'Love the course.

Did you walk the ground of Erin Hills by attending 2017 US Open won by Brooks Koepka?
    How do you compare these big new courses to the gems of Merion or Winged Foot?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Argonne69Argonne69  23268WRX Points: 7,240Members Posts: 23,268 Titanium Tees

On -, @18majors said:

On -, @Argonne69 said:

The 2025 U.S. Women's Open has been awarded to Erin Hills. 'Love the course.

Did you walk the ground of Erin Hills by attending 2017 US Open won by Brooks Koepka?
    How do you compare these big new courses to the gems of Merion or Winged Foot?

No, I've played two rounds at Erin Hills in 2011 and 2013. I haven't stepped foot on Merion or Winged Foot, so I can't really say how EH compares. Merion and Winged Foot appear to have many more trees, and seems to play as aerial attack parkland courses. Erin Hills isn't quite true links, but a ground game is possible if the conditions are dry.

Posted:
  • WestTexWestTex  227WRX Points: 188Members Posts: 227 Fairways

On -, @18majors said:

This is a good article about Korean women's golfer; it wrote something I didn't know before.
    "Lee6, who chose to embrace the numeral and wear it as a badge of honor, even though it originated because there were five other players with the same name on the Korean LPGA Tour, is the daughter of a former truck driver who was paralyzed in a highway accident when “Six,” as she likes to be called, was 4 years old. She didn’t play golf seriously until she was 16. “I’ve always helped my father,” Six said. “When I realized that I was good enough to be a professional, my entire goal was to win tournaments to help my family. I want to do whatever I can for them. I want to make them proud.” It doesn’t get much better than that."

https://womensgolf.com/south-koreans

Maybe it's my browser, but that article says in the second paragraph "In the 21 years since Se Ri Pak (above)..." The photo is clearly In Gee Chun. I can't even with this place right now...

Posted:
  • StoochStooch  1208WRX Points: 873Handicap: 15Members Posts: 1,208 Platinum Tees

Nice move up to #7 by Brooke in the Rolex Rankings. She almost had Lexi at #6 but with the quirks of the schedule year over year she actually had an event added to her divisor costing her the spot by 0.01. Other thing of note is So Yeon dropping out of the Top 10 to #11, maybe this will grab her attention probably like it did for Brooke.

Posted:

On -, @Stooch said:

Nice move up to #7 by Brooke in the Rolex Rankings. She almost had Lexi at #6 but with the quirks of the schedule year over year she actually had an event added to her divisor costing her the spot by 0.01. Other thing of note is So Yeon dropping out of the Top 10 to #11, maybe this will grab her attention probably like it did for Brooke.

2017 Lotte Championship was held one week earlier on week 15 and went off the list earlier; as a result, the tournament last week was a net add for every player who played.

Posted:
  • StoochStooch  1208WRX Points: 873Handicap: 15Members Posts: 1,208 Platinum Tees

So I was over at the LPGA site and was reading a Inkster Blog about the Solheim Cup.
    http://www.lpga.com/news/2019-inkster-captains-blog-feeling-pressure-from-captains-picks
    In part of it Julie was mentioning Dow Great Lakes Bay invitational (team event) and I guess I was naive thinking we would get some fun pairings teaming up and maybe we will, but Julie was mentioning wanting to watch some teams perform. Christy and Lexi are a confirmed team and then I realized this will most likely be a glorified practice sessions every year for the Solheim and UL Int Crown events lol

Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational is a 2 player team event with 2 rounds of better ball and 2 rounds alternating shot but not a match play event

Posted:

Advertisement

Boo. Hiss.

Posted:

There is an important amateur tournament this week; Women's Amateur Asia Pacific Championship held in Japan.
    https://randa.org/Championships/WomensAmateurAsiaPacific
    It's important to note that Korea no longer dominates this space; Japan, Australia, Thailand, New Zealand, Taiwan and the Philippines are all contenders. The favorites are defending champion Atthaya Thitikul of Thailand, Yuka Yasuda of Japan and Yuka Saso of the Philippines.

Posted:
  • AWinfortheAgesAWinfortheAges  305WRX Points: 201Members Posts: 305 Greens

On -, @Stooch said:

So I was over at the LPGA site and was reading a Inkster Blog about the Solheim Cup.
    http://www.lpga.com/news/2019-inkster-captains-blog-feeling-pressure-from-captains-picks
    In part of it Julie was mentioning Dow Great Lakes Bay invitational (team event) and I guess I was naive thinking we would get some fun pairings teaming up and maybe we will, but Julie was mentioning wanting to watch some teams perform. Christy and Lexi are a confirmed team and then I realized this will most likely be a glorified practice sessions every year for the Solheim and UL Int Crown events lol

Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational is a 2 player team event with 2 rounds of better ball and 2 rounds alternating shot but not a match play event

I think we all knew Lexi and Christy were teaming up for this event. I'll have to root against them because if they win they'll have to team up again to defend. We've seen this team 5 times at least. I'd like to see Lexi beg and bribe to recruit Sung Hyun Park or, dare I say it, Inbee Park to be her teammate next season. That would grab some golf headlines.

Posted:

On -, @AWinfortheAges said:

On -, @Stooch said:

I think we all knew Lexi and Christy were teaming up for this event. I'll have to root against them because if they win they'll have to team up again to defend. We've seen this team 5 times at least. I'd like to see Lexi beg and bribe to recruit Sung Hyun Park or, dare I say it, Inbee Park to be her teammate next season. That would grab some golf headlines.

This exactly some of the types of pairings I was hoping for Lexi and Inbee or SHP would interest me, Lexi and Krusty, not so much. My dream pair (not that it will ever happen) would be Brooke and Sei Young Kim 2 of my favorite players on tour. They could over the course of a week shoot a +5 or a -40 and for me that would be fun seeing which one it is lol. Sadly I think this event will have more of a Nationalistic flavor to it, which GC will like it's their favorite angle to push in coverage

Posted:

It's encouraging to see the ticket sales of this year's USWO at Charleston is going well:
    "Ticket sales to the Women’s Open are also brisk, with about 100,000 spectators expected." It could match the success at Lancaster in 2015.
    usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2019/u-s--women-s-open1/articles/u-s--women-s-open-golf-charleston-community.html

LPGA's purses would've stayed at less than $1.3 million if not for USGA's incessant drive to move it up. A good chance this year's USWO purse will be $6.0 million because CME Group has upped the ante to match USWO's $5.0 million purse. The winner's share will be $1.08 million if the purse is $6.0 million.

Posted:
    Post edited by 18majors on

Advertisement

Xiang Sui, who's a third year player at China LPGA; has qualified for Korea Dream Tour this year. She's a top 5 finish in 3 events and is currently No. 10 on order of merit.
    Xiang, who picked up fame as a natural beauty in Korea after she played a joint CKPGA and KLPGA event in 2017; is very popular in Korea. She's had sponsor invitation to play the main KLPGA tour many many times.
    Xiang is 20, there is little chance she'll be a world beater; but it's nice she's on the tour.

Posted:

I done some complaining about the pairing we would likely see at the Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational later this summer, I would like to retract all my complaints. After looking at the schedule, it's the week before the Evain with one of those Saturday finishes, so I'm thinking many of the top pro's are gonna be taking this one off.

Posted:

On -, @Stooch said:

I done some complaining about the pairing we would likely see at the Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational later this summer, I would like to retract all my complaints. After looking at the schedule, it's the week before the Evain with one of those Saturday finishes, so I'm thinking many of the top pro's are gonna be taking this one off.

Not only that, but the Women's British Open is the week after the Evian. A lot of players like to play the week before a major, but having two majors in a row definitely throws a **** wrench into it.

Posted:
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NY 4853WRX Points: 826Unregistered Posts: 4,853 Titanium Tees

Jin Young opened up a half-stroke lead in the scoring average ranking. Impressive. And the TV people still talk about her like she's just another player in the field. Bunch of jerks. Oops am I allowed to say that here.

Posted:

Yealimi Noh looks heavenly beautiful in her Descente outfits; too bad we can't see her until she gets a status from one of the tours somewhere.

https://instagram.com/p/Bw2bKe9ltSR/

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer  1479WRX Points: 739Members Posts: 1,479 Platinum Tees

Been wondering what`s up with Marina Alex, I was kinda thinking she was hitting her stride last year and might continue this year. 7 events in and nothing better than a T16 at Diamond Resorts..hmm.

Posted:

It's been a real topsy turvy year. A number of players that looked promising last year have faded, and a new bunch have stepped up.

Posted:
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer  1479WRX Points: 739Members Posts: 1,479 Platinum Tees

On -, @Argonne69 said:

It's been a real topsy turvy year. A number of players that looked promising last year have faded, and a new bunch have stepped up.

Agreed, the season is still fairly new yet. Maybe there`s still hope.

Posted:

The legends of Alexa Pano keep on growing:

Alexa Pano, Amari Avery advance to U.S. Women's Amateur Four-Ball semifinals
    https://golfweek.com/2019/04/30/golf-alexa-pano-amari-avery-advance-semis-u-s-womens-amateur-four-ball/

Posted:

Weird that we were talking about Lydia and swings and Coaches in the Mediheal tournament thread and Lydia announces that she's split from current swing coach Ted Oh, not sure what it will mean for game going forward.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Stooch said:

Weird that we were talking about Lydia and swings and Coaches in the Mediheal tournament thread and Lydia announces that she's split from current swing coach Ted Oh, not sure what it will mean for game going forward.

It can only mean one thing. Lydia has been reading our threads. :)

Posted:
  • DON SVODON SVO Hacker in progress...  1148WRX Points: 257Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,148 Platinum Tees

On -, @Argonne69 said:

On -, @Stooch said:

It can only mean one thing. Lydia has been reading our threads. :)

Lydia Ko is just mindlessly floating through golf right now, like a leaf in a stream. I hope she finds something that works for her.

Posted:
    A bag of left-handed junk.
    Driver: 2016 Taylormade M2 Kai'li 70x
    3W: TM R11 15* Kai'li 80x
    2H: Adams Super XTD Project X blue 6.5
    3H: Adams Super XTD Aldila Proto 95x
    4-PW: Mizuno MP-32 satin PX 6.5
    59, 56, 53: Callaway Mack Daddy, PX 6.0
    Cameron Newport 1.5
  • AWinfortheAgesAWinfortheAges  305WRX Points: 201Members Posts: 305 Greens

On -, @Stooch said:

I could swear I heard Judy or someone on a broadcast, this season, discuss that Lydia and Ted Oh's relationship was going very well.

Posted:

On -, @Stooch said:

I could swear I heard Judy or someone on a broadcast, this season, discuss that Lydia and Ted Oh's relationship was going very well.

Bless Judy, was always a big fan but I'm thinking it's almost time for a difficult discussion, like when we told Grandma she couldn't drive anymore. It's a very tough subject to broach, but society will be better for it in the end.

Posted:

On -, @Stooch said:

On -, @Stooch said:

Bless Judy, was always a big fan but I'm thinking it's almost time for a difficult discussion, like when we told Grandma she couldn't drive anymore. It's a very tough subject to broach, but society will be better for it in the end.

Do you have anyone better than Judy in mind? I would still rather hear Judy's comments than anyone else.
    Lydia or her mom could've told Judy that Ted was working out well, even though they already had plans to sever the relationship.
    There could be many more other scenarios, the only thing Judy could do was to report what she'd heard!

Posted:

Advertisement
  • fanofserifanofseri  173WRX Points: 225Members Posts: 173 Fairways

Maybe now that Eun Jeong Seong is missing in action and Lydia is gone, Ted Oh will return my phone calls.

Posted:
  • Enduro59Enduro59  155WRX Points: 138Members Posts: 155 Fairways

On -, @Stooch said:

On -, @Stooch said:

You are probably right about Judy. I wonder sometimes if in reality Judy would like to retire but the golf channel and others encourage her to continue. (beg).It might be out of fear as to who can replace her or backlash to them for perceived age and gender discrimination.
    Back to the topic of Lydia and Ted. When Judy mentioned that recently maybe that was the standard line coming from good sources and something changed suddenly or maybe some of Ko or Oh's camp said it trying to buy time to rescue her results and their business relationship.

Posted:

I actually prefer Karen Stumples now, she grown on me the last couple years, I only suggest retirement as I feel it would be cruel to change Karen's and Judy's positions and have Judy walk the 18 holes each round with the heavy film equipment.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @fanofseri said:

Maybe now that Eun Jeong Seong is missing in action and Lydia is gone, Ted Oh will return my phone calls.

Ted has Muni He and she'll blossom!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.