Any Apple Watch users ?

Anyone have an Apple Watch and use it for Golf on the course?



How does it help you? Besides telling time!
«1

Comments

  • pstmstrpstmstr Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    I have the Apple Watch series 4. I use the Golfshot Plus app. I get yardages front middle back and keep score on it as well. It has improved a lot and I never take my phone out any more.
  • DrewcruiseDrewcruise Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Is there a vibrate setting on the watch so it doesn’t ring during the round? Any issues with battery life? Thanks
  • jsanatxjsanatx God Bless Texas Members Posts: 1,974 ✭✭
    I used my series 3 with the Golfshot and Hole 19 apps and it worked fine. This year, I decided to start using the Grint, for the official USGA handicap feature, but unfortunately, it doesn't have an Apple Watch app. While I was using the GS and H19 apps, I did not notice any battery issues. I usually had ~75% battery life left after a round. You can set you set your phone to vibrate to avoid rings.
    917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
    Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
    Titleist 718 AP2s
    Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
    Vokey SM5 46*
    Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
    Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
    Vokey TVD 60*
    SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g
  • topsparktopspark Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Hole19 .

    Battery life with watch great, but does drain faster
  • Frankensteins MonsterFrankensteins Monster Members Posts: 6,684 ✭✭
    edited Feb 12, 2019 7:44pm #6
    Drewcruise wrote:


    Is there a vibrate setting on the watch so it doesn’t ring during the round? Any issues with battery life? Thanks




    You can put it in silent mode to mute everything, dings, notifications, etc., just like an iPhone and iPad.
  • ghoonkghoonk The Hoarder Members Posts: 224 ✭✭
    Drewcruise wrote:


    Is there a vibrate setting on the watch so it doesn’t ring during the round? Any issues with battery life? Thanks




    I set mine to Do Not Disturb
    Srixon Z785 w/ stock Miyazaki Mahana (S) shaft
    Srizon F65 3w (15*) w/ stock Miyazaki Kaula (S)
    Srixon Z U85 20* driving iron
    Taylormade P7TW irons (3-PW) in S400 tour-issued shafts
    Taylormade Hi Toe 54 and 58 wedges
    Scotty Cameron California Coronado putter
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2019 4:25pm #9
    aadadams wrote:




    The guy that started that thread seems like the cliche from those Angie’s List commercials. Where your neighbor asks you if you know anyone who does home repairs ?

    Great! Tell them to be here next Tuesday and Call around to get several quotes. Make sure they are insured and bonded!



    He says at one point to someone trying to help him: Does it satisfy all my stated requirements?

    C’mon man do your own research once someone recommends an app.



    Lol
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,979 ✭✭
    I have AW3 and have been a Hole 19 user for years now. The only thing I wish that app had was a HC feature but I use the Handicap App as well on the iPhone and its simple and works perfect.



    I kind of want to try Fun Golf app and wonder if it's worth $20 year as the 3D maps kinda look cool but haven't tried the rest of the watch/phone combo to see if it's better/ worse than Hole 19
    Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • denvergolfdenvergolf Castle Pines, COMembers Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I must be the only one that has no issues/challenges with golfshot...works great for me.
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero TD - 9* Black Smoke 6.5 - 70
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero - 15* Black Smoke 6.5 - 80
    TaylorMade M3 20* Hybrid, Kuro Kage XT 100TX
    TaylorMade P.7TW, 4-W, DG Tour Issue X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 52-mid, 56-mid, and 60-low
    Titleist Cameron Tour Rat 1-M 
    2019 TM TP5x
  • pstmstrpstmstr Members Posts: 64 ✭✭
    denvergolf wrote:


    I must be the only one that has no issues/challenges with golfshot...works great for me.




    Must be 2 of us. Works great on both phone and watch for me. Quick and accurate yardage, easy to keep score with number of putts.
  • titzercmtitzercm Members Posts: 4
    BB28403 wrote:


    Anyone have an Apple Watch and use it for Golf on the course?



    How does it help you? Besides telling time!




    As a software engineer and someone has developed several apple apps, I really hate the watch as a gps for golf. Hate is probably too strong of a word, but the user experience is so much better on garmin approach watch from a yardage accuracy point of view. I have compared the GPS, Bushnell Laser, and apps several times. Often times I found the iphone apps as much 6 yards off from middle fairway yardages on F/M/B. IMHO, the speed and accuracy that a gps watch provides is just my preference.





    I will say the apple watch / iphone is more responsive on start up and the UI is better. But once your out on the golf course, I prefer my garmin watch. I also have my watch set up with all kinds of custom notifications and alerts that I really don't want to disable and activate during golf. I kind of like to escape all that when I play.



    I guess end it is your preference, but as say this heavily biased towards apple products, I prefer a garmin watch.
  • aadadamsaadadams Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Having owned a couple of Garmin watches before the move... I can say that the Garmin watch was often off by similar amounts when compared to a laser. Not trying to be a smart-a** or anything just saying that if you're shooting the pin from 200 yards out and your watch misses by 6 yards that represents a minor 3% error. If your shots are more precise than the error in the measurement... That's awesome!



    Final note: My largest problem with the Garmins was always battery life, I was lucky to get that thing to last through the round... My devices were the S6 and S20 for the record.
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,709 ✭✭
    aadadams wrote:


    Having owned a couple of Garmin watches before the move... I can say that the Garmin watch was often off by similar amounts when compared to a laser. Not trying to be a smart-a** or anything just saying that if you're shooting the pin from 200 yards out and your watch misses by 6 yards that represents a minor 3% error. If your shots are more precise than the error in the measurement... That's awesome!



    Final note: My largest problem with the Garmins was always battery life, I was lucky to get that thing to last through the round... My devices were the S6 and S20 for the record.


    Sounds like you got a dud S20. Mine lasts for three rounds before it needs a recharge.
  • aadadamsaadadams Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Possibly, I didn't question it because I was coming from the S6 which got about the same in reality while promising much more... At any rate, I sold it to one of my buddies who was an android user... One thing's certain, having many options is a good thing for us, as no one size will fit all... If only this snow/ice crap would GO AWAY, so that I can use my watch rather than talk about it, image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> .
  • larryd3larryd3 Members Posts: 589 ✭✭
    Back on the apple watch, Fungolf works really well. It was mentioned in the above suggested article also. Gives you pretty much all the info you need and it uses the gps on the watch so you don't need your phone with you.
    TM M4
    Epic 15*
    816 H1 19*
    816 H1 24*
    PXG 0311 5-gw
    54* SM6 M
    58* SM7 S
    PXG Operator H
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭
    titzercm wrote:
    BB28403 wrote:


    Anyone have an Apple Watch and use it for Golf on the course?



    How does it help you? Besides telling time!




    As a software engineer and someone has developed several apple apps, I really hate the watch as a gps for golf. Hate is probably too strong of a word, but the user experience is so much better on garmin approach watch from a yardage accuracy point of view. I have compared the GPS, Bushnell Laser, and apps several times. Often times I found the iphone apps as much 6 yards off from middle fairway yardages on F/M/B. IMHO, the speed and accuracy that a gps watch provides is just my preference.





    I will say the apple watch / iphone is more responsive on start up and the UI is better. But once your out on the golf course, I prefer my garmin watch. I also have my watch set up with all kinds of custom notifications and alerts that I really don't want to disable and activate during golf. I kind of like to escape all that when I play.



    I guess end it is your preference, but as say this heavily biased towards apple products, I prefer a garmin watch.




    What about tracking how far your shots go for later use. And to later see them on a map.

    Any experience with that side of the GPS wearables or apps?

  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭
    aadadams wrote:
    Having owned a couple of Garmin watches before the move... I can say that the Garmin watch was often off by similar amounts when compared to a laser. Not trying to be a smart-a** or anything just saying that if you're shooting the pin from 200 yards out and your watch misses by 6 yards that represents a minor 3% error. If your shots are more precise than the error in the measurement... That's awesome!



    Final note: My largest problem with the Garmins was always battery life, I was lucky to get that thing to last through the round... My devices were the S6 and S20 for the record.




    Sounds like the lithium battery had lost its charging ability. The sad thing is that they cost only $5 from China, it’s just nobody can put them in to such a small watch.

    In that light I would suggest no one ever buy a watch used because they only have so many recharges before they die.
  • aadadamsaadadams Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    So true... these things are basically disposable. All's well that ends well, as I'm happy with the apple watch... Heck they might even offer a battery replacement for their watches... I bought the 2nd version upon release, and I have seen no noticelable decline in battery life. It'll last me about 36 h on a charge, if I play golf that comes down a bit. Given that duty cycle though, I end up charging every night anyway.
  • siegs07siegs07 Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    FunGolf and Golfshot Plus both look great. I have an Apple Watch 4 with cellular, I would like to be able to leave my phone in my locker and start and play rounds without ever touching my phone. Then when the round is over and I'm in the clubhouse or at home I would like to look back through my round on my phone. Do they both do this? And do either of them offer a free trial?
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
    Cobra King F9 Tour 4w
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-PW
    Mizuno T7 52* and 58*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,979 ✭✭
    siegs07 wrote:
    FunGolf and Golfshot Plus both look great. I have an Apple Watch 4 with cellular, I would like to be able to leave my phone in my locker and start and play rounds without ever touching my phone. Then when the round is over and I'm in the clubhouse or at home I would like to look back through my round on my phone. Do they both do this? And do either of them offer a free trial?




    Fun golf does not offer a free trial but you can try a month for $4.99. Worth at least 5 to try. I’m going to this month. Headed to Myrtle this weekend to play for 4 days. I’ll know real quick if I like it or not.
    Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • siegs07siegs07 Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Minarets wrote:

    siegs07 wrote:
    FunGolf and Golfshot Plus both look great. I have an Apple Watch 4 with cellular, I would like to be able to leave my phone in my locker and start and play rounds without ever touching my phone. Then when the round is over and I'm in the clubhouse or at home I would like to look back through my round on my phone. Do they both do this? And do either of them offer a free trial?




    Fun golf does not offer a free trial but you can try a month for $4.99. Worth at least 5 to try. I’m going to this month. Headed to Myrtle this weekend to play for 4 days. I’ll know real quick if I like it or not.




    Perfect, going to Palm Springs in a few weeks I won’t even pack my Garmin I will just use that app and try it out. Thanks!
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
    Cobra King F9 Tour 4w
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-PW
    Mizuno T7 52* and 58*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
  • ChrisO72ChrisO72 Members Posts: 59 ✭✭
    titzercm wrote:

    BB28403 wrote:


    Anyone have an Apple Watch and use it for Golf on the course?



    How does it help you? Besides telling time!




    As a software engineer and someone has developed several apple apps, I really hate the watch as a gps for golf. Hate is probably too strong of a word, but the user experience is so much better on garmin approach watch from a yardage accuracy point of view. I have compared the GPS, Bushnell Laser, and apps several times. Often times I found the iphone apps as much 6 yards off from middle fairway yardages on F/M/B. IMHO, the speed and accuracy that a gps watch provides is just my preference.





    I will say the apple watch / iphone is more responsive on start up and the UI is better. But once your out on the golf course, I prefer my garmin watch. I also have my watch set up with all kinds of custom notifications and alerts that I really don't want to disable and activate during golf. I kind of like to escape all that when I play.



    I guess end it is your preference, but as say this heavily biased towards apple products, I prefer a garmin watch.




    Which garmin watch do you use?

    WITB:
    Ping G400Max 9dg Tour 65S
    Ping G400 2h Tour 85S
    Titleist AP3 4-GW TT AMT White X100
    Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.08M, 58.08M
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,979 ✭✭
    Y’all weren’t kidding. My dad just ordered a Garmin s10 (he doesn’t want bells and whistles), just the basics. He had the original Garmin gps watch for the last 5 years. Had to replace a band but worked like a champ. This new one feels about like a $10 watch should feel. So lightweight it feels cheap. He got it to take to Myrlte Beach this weekend for golf. We shall see. I’ll be testing out the fun golf app and he will be testing the s10.
    Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭
    Oh for 2015 again!! Good times
  • rcurley55rcurley55 Members Posts: 125 ✭✭
    siegs07 wrote:


    FunGolf and Golfshot Plus both look great. I have an Apple Watch 4 with cellular, I would like to be able to leave my phone in my locker and start and play rounds without ever touching my phone. Then when the round is over and I'm in the clubhouse or at home I would like to look back through my round on my phone. Do they both do this? And do either of them offer a free trial?




    I have the Series 3 Apple Watch and have tried most all of the free apps out there. Hole 19 is my go-to (I was a devout Golfshot user on the phone). I found Hole 19 to give me the best combo of information, ease of use, and speed compared to the rest. With Hole 19, you start the round on your phone, open the app on the watch, then I turn bluetooth off on my phone. The watch then takes over from there. I have had the app crash (e.g., fail to update location) occasionally, so I just silence my phone and dump it in my bag incase I need to re-boot/restart the round.



    Laser is always going to be best, but at my home course my watch is generally within a few yards of my buddies who use a range finder. Given my 18 hcp swing, 2-3 yards one way or the other doesn't make me want to jump ship to a rangefinder when the apple watch can do so much more no a day-to-day basis.
  • MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 3,979 ✭✭
    I’ve been using Fun Golf while on my good trip to Myrtle Beach and I’ve gone back to Hole 19.



    I have AW3 and for what i want “F/M/B” Hole 19 is super fast and reliable. Fun Golf if I just used my phone would probably be my go to because I like the mapping but the watch doesn’t really give me what I want.



    I use a laser and want the FMB and laser to see what i want to do. Scores are simple on the watch with H19 as well.
    Driver: Adams 9064LS 9.5*
    Irons: Ping I-20 4-W
    Hybrids: Taylormade Rescue Mid 16*, 19*
    Wedges: Scratch 8620 53*, 58*
    Putter: SeeMore mFGP
    Bag: SM Four5 / Ball: Srixon ZStar XV
  • whsbusswhsbuss Members Posts: 188 ✭✭
    Just got my AW4 during the holidays and it’s been to cold to get out. But I have Hole 19 ready to try. What I’m looking for is an app that shows distances to and to clear targets like Golfshot on my iPhone (grandfathered so no AW app)
  • siegs07siegs07 Members Posts: 66 ✭✭

    It looks like Fun Golf app was bought by TAG Huer and I don’t know if I’m sold enough on it to immediately switch over to that account. What I liked about fun golf was that I could start rounds from my watch without touching my phone at all. So it looks like hole 19 is out. Can Golf Shot Plus start rounds straight from the watch? Any other suggestions. I really just want that, f/m/b, and a basic scorecard function.

    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha
    Cobra King F9 Tour 4w
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-PW
    Mizuno T7 52* and 58*
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport
  • aadadamsaadadams Members Posts: 54 ✭✭

    Just noticed that this took place... Seems they planning to make the app available on Apple watch going forward.... Attempted to make the transition on last evening. Not smooth or intuitive, but I eventually got it done. On the plus side, the subpar name IMO will go away with the acquisition... Fun Golf becomes Tag Heuer Golf seems more serious if nothing else.

Sign In or Register to comment.