Driver or 3w shaft to build a really short driver?

BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXerMembers Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Was messing around with my little friends 41" driver with good results. Want to build one around 41" but not sure on length. My Driver is 44" and use a Rogue 125msi tx. I have another of same shaft do I cut that down or use a 3w shaft? Thanks!

G30 LST
3 wood M2 HL
OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
Cleveland Blob
SeeMore Butts

Comments

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Vast majority of FW and driver shafts start out the same. The only difference is how much tipping might have been done and then how much butt cutting. So it's not the starting point that matters.

I will say that the shorter the playing length, the heavier most people prefer the shaft weight. So you might want to consider the actual shaft weight as a better selection criteria. Also with respect to the different tipping - depending on what you end up doing with the final length and head weight, even standard 3w fairway tipping may not be enough. So regardless you might have to do some additional tipping. And if you have to pull an adapter to do some tipping, it doesn't really matter what the original tipping was.

• Adam CAdam C Members Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭

It will all depend on what weight your head will be at as that will determine tipping etc. As Stuart said you can use any shaft but heavier is probably better for most. Of course if the 41 you tried was with a lighter shaft, then go with that since it sounds like you hit it well.

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 2:36am #4

@Stuart_G said:
    Vast majority of FW and driver shafts start out the same. The only difference is how much tipping might have been done and then how much butt cutting. So it's not the starting point that matters.

I will say that the shorter the playing length, the heavier most people prefer the shaft weight. So you might want to consider the actual shaft weight as a better selection criteria. Also with respect to the different tipping - depending on what you end up doing with the final length and head weight, even standard 3w fairway tipping may not be enough. So regardless you might have to do some additional tipping. And if you have to pull an adapter to do some tipping, it doesn't really matter what the original tipping was.

Just adding that 41.00" is considered to be a 7W so that means a head weight equal to that if you want a SW in the standard range.
    Normal tip trim instruction for most wood shafts say 0.5" for each wood, so a 7W is 1.5 inch tip trim, meaning a 3W shaft with only 0.5" want make it unless you pull it and tip it another inch. Look for a 5W or 7W shaft to get one where more tip trim is done from the factory if you want to avoid the pull and tip trim job, or start from a shaft without connector and add one when tip trim is done.

shaft weight is very important, and if the shaft you have has a good weight when played at 44.00" we must ADD 5 grams uncut shaft weight for each inch we go shorter to keep that feel of shaft weight, so 3 inch shorter = 15 grams UP as uncut shaft weight when played at 41.00"

The question is then, how good match is that shaft weight now at 44.00"? good or to the heavy or light side?

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,844 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 25, 2019 8:23am #5

@Howard Jones said:
    Just adding that 41.00" is considered to be a 7W so that means a head weight equal to that if you want a SW in the standard range.
    Normal tip trim instruction for most wood shafts say 0.5" for each wood, so a 7W is 1.5 inch tip trim, meaning a 3W shaft with only 0.5" want make it unless you pull it and tip it another inch. Look for a 5W or 7W shaft to get one where more tip trim is done from the factory if you want to avoid the pull and tip trim job, or start from a shaft without connector and add one when tip trim is done.

shaft weight is very important, and if the shaft you have has a good weight when played at 44.00" we must ADD 5 grams uncut shaft weight for each inch we go shorter to keep that feel of shaft weight, so 3 inch shorter = 15 grams UP as uncut shaft weight when played at 41.00"

The question is then, how good match is that shaft weight now at 44.00"? good or to the heavy or light side?

Agree with all. Just adding that since he mentioned the Rogue - Aldila is a bit different with their tipping recommendations than other shaft OEMs. They tend to recommend 0" for driver and a uniform 1" for all fairways. Now whether the person that prepared the shaft was using that or the more standard approach, I can't say. So careful about any assumptions on how much any shaft has already been tipped.

Also, although most shafts have at least a 3" parallel tip section and can support 1.5" of tipping, there are some shafts out there that only have a 2" parallel tip section - and those should not be tipped more than 1". So make sure to check the shaft specs before deciding how much to tip.

• BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for info guys!

G30 LST
    3 wood M2 HL
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros 4-P
    Cleveland Blob
    SeeMore Butts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file