Best “non golf” golf shoes

I’m struggling to find a pair of golf shoes that fit well and have a lower drop (and do not break the bank). The True’s look ok, but the knit didn’t fit that great and I am not a fan of the new line they have (price, colors, suede toe box, etc).

I have some older Ashworth that are ok (second generation Cardiff ADC) but they just barely fit and are not made anymore.

I’ve thought about some Merrell Trail Gloves for dry days, anyone here try those? Any other recommendations for something with a lower drop? I think the biggest challenge will be finding something waterproof.

Thanks, drn92

I have the adipures and like them a lot. Minimal drop and look good as a non-golf style shoe - I’ve worn them casually a couple times in a pinch. Have been waiting for the True Linkswear TL01 for a while now. Latest is they will ship the first week of July with preorders in the next few weeks. Unclear if they will be waterproof, but should be low/no drop and have a pretty clean, basic style.

• Like 1

Those are the two exact options I was going to propose. The TL-1 from True has taken forever to foment out. Loved the looks of the white or gray ones back in Jan when i saw them. I asked their twitter page way back if they would be water proof and when and was told May release and not sure on waterproofing. Well here we are in June.

The adipure with a little boost look fantastic to me in white. I have been asking around here for reviews on that since they came out beginning of last year and hadn’t seen Any util recently. Guess it helps DJ put them in play

I know dr92 you and I show up in a lot of similar shoe threads as we wear the same size and have similar wants and features in shoes but I did just get the Ecco Biom Hybrid 3 BOA And after one walking round do love them. No zero or low drop, best I can tell, but comfy for my foot nonetheless

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @jgallant415 said:

> I have the adipures and like them a lot. Minimal drop and look good as a non-golf style shoe - I’ve worn them casually a couple times in a pinch. Have been waiting for the True Linkswear TL01 for a while now. Latest is they will ship the first week of July with preorders in the next few weeks. Unclear if they will be waterproof, but should be low/no drop and have a pretty clean, basic style.

Thanks. I’ll take a look at those. Typically adidas are too narrow up front, but I know they are changing their lasts a little.

drn92

> @Minarets said:

> Those are the two exact options I was going to propose. The TL-1 from True has taken forever to foment out. Loved the looks of the white or gray ones back in Jan when i saw them. I asked their twitter page way back if they would be water proof and when and was told May release and not sure on waterproofing. Well here we are in June.

>

> The adipure with a little boost look fantastic to me in white. I have been asking around here for reviews on that since they came out beginning of last year and hadn’t seen Any util recently. Guess it helps DJ put them in play

>

> I know dr92 you and I show up in a lot of similar shoe threads as we wear the same size and have similar wants and features in shoes but I did just get the Ecco Biom Hybrid 3 BOA And after one walking round do love them. No zero or low drop, best I can tell, but comfy for my foot nonetheless

Appreciate your reply, I do remember a few threads about shoes in the past where we both commented. I am looking forward to the new True’s, but I am hoping they come in more colors. My Ashworth’s are black, and I want something that will go a little better with browns, olives, and navy pants/shorts.

I’ve tried on the Ecco Biom Hybrid 2, they fit pretty ell. Do you know if they are waterproof?

drn92

> @drn92 said:

> > @earleyrc said:

> > Biom 3 are goretex. 3 year waterproof warranty is the best in the business right now I think.

>

> That is great, but I do not want to spend $200 on a pair of shoes. The Biom 2’s are quite a bit cheaper right now.

>

> drn92

I haven't tried the 2s but I'm sure they are great too. I've always liked Ecco for comfort and their waterproofing is top notch. I'm sure they are just as good as the 3 if you are looking for cheaper options.

Here is a tweet i just got

> @drn92 said:

> > @earleyrc rc said:

> > Biom 3 are goretex. 3 year waterproof warranty is the best in the business right now I think.

>

> That is great, but I do not want to spend $200 on a pair of shoes. The Biom 2’s are quite a bit cheaper right now.

>

> drn92

I just bought the BOA from shoes.com for $164.

> @drn92 said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > Here is a tweet i just got

> >

> >

> >

>

> Those are quite tempting. I have black shoes .... not sure if I want to go white for my next pair. I wish they would bring out a brown pair but I bet they will have black, white, and grey.

>

> Thanks for posting!

>

> drn92

They did show a gray pair early this year, yes. I don’t remember seeing a brown.

Biom Hybrid 2’s are not waterproof. Water resistant, can probably get close to waterproof by treating it. Mine have been fine in light rain & morning dew. I do prefer the Biom Hybrid 3’s though; just as comfy, I think they grip a little better, and are goretex. Checkout shoes.com, I picked up 2 pair of the 3’s for $120 each or so after reading the other thread last year.

• Like 1

> @"Dr.Frankenputz" said:

> Biom Hybrid 2’s are not waterproof. Water resistant, can probably get close to waterproof by treating it. Mine have been fine in light rain & morning dew. I do prefer the Biom Hybrid 3’s though; just as comfy, I think they grip a little better, and are goretex. Checkout shoes.com, I picked up 2 pair of the 3’s for $120 each or so after reading the other thread last year.

Think the 2s use their hydromax coating which is their house water proofing. The 3s, do use gore Tex like you mentioned. Yeah, the regular 3s were $120 in some colors last week.

> @cmagnusson said:

> Boombah is more known for baseball cleats and trail shoes but has dabbled in golf. Not much choice (usually only 1 or 2 models at a time) but cheap and incredibly comfy for the couple pairs I’ve tried.

Wow! They don't look bad at all. And only for $60? That's worth a go.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

> @Minarets said:

> > @drn92 said:

> > > @Minarets said:

> > > Here is a tweet i just got

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Those are quite tempting. I have black shoes .... not sure if I want to go white for my next pair. I wish they would bring out a brown pair but I bet they will have black, white, and grey.

> >

> > Thanks for posting!

> >

> > drn92

>

> They did show a gray pair early this year, yes. I don’t remember seeing a brown.

The TL-01 is up on the website. Nice looking shoes, but size 13 is the largest they have. I’d love a brown version as well. The search continues ...

drn92

• Like 1

> @drn92 said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > > @drn92 said:

> > > > @Minarets said:

> > > > Here is a tweet i just got

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Those are quite tempting. I have black shoes .... not sure if I want to go white for my next pair. I wish they would bring out a brown pair but I bet they will have black, white, and grey.

> > >

> > > Thanks for posting!

> > >

> > > drn92

> >

> > They did show a gray pair early this year, yes. I don’t remember seeing a brown.

>

> The TL-01 is up on the website. Nice looking shoes, but size 13 is the largest they have. I’d love a brown version as well. The search continues ...

>

> drn92

Zero drop. They look good. Not sure what “weather ready” is tho. Does that mean for $150 you get some waterproof guarantee?

> @Liam84 said:

> For my money the best really “non golf” golf shoe are the Vans Ultrarange. Traction is better than many “real” spikeless golf shoes and they look way better (at least to me they do). They’re not really waterproof but they work fine unless it’s truly a downpour.

I would get these today if they had size 14 available.

drn92

Do you wear a 13 in adidas and 14 in Nike? That’s me. Wondering if you are 14 everywhere? True used to run big like adidas. You may be able to wear some of those TL-1

> @Minarets said:

> Do you wear a 13 in adidas and 14 in Nike? That’s me. Wondering if you are 14 everywhere? True used to run big like adidas. You may be able to wear some of those TL-1

I typically do not wear adidas as they are usually too narrow up front. I have Ecco loafers in size 47, some Mephisto dress shoes also in size 47 and then Altra or Topo running shoes in size 14. My Cardiff ADC’s are size 13 and just barely fit. Nike is usually size 14 but I haven’t worn them for a while.

drn92

> @drn92 said:

> I’m struggling to find a pair of golf shoes that fit well and have a lower drop (and do not break the bank). The True’s look ok, but the knit didn’t fit that great and I am not a fan of the new line they have (price, colors, suede toe box, etc).

>

> I have some older Ashworth that are ok (second generation Cardiff ADC) but they just barely fit and are not made anymore.

>

> I’ve thought about some Merrell Trail Gloves for dry days, anyone here try those? Any other recommendations for something with a lower drop? I think the biggest challenge will be finding something waterproof.

>

> Thanks, drn92

I have played in the Merrell trail gloves before. They are ok. I'd Probably only use them for casual, dry rounds.

One question on the trues. I'm 11.5, would you suggest 11 or 12? Thinking of grabbing some.

> @drn92 said:

> > @Minarets said:

> > Do you wear a 13 in adidas and 14 in Nike? That’s me. Wondering if you are 14 everywhere? True used to run big like adidas. You may be able to wear some of those TL-1

>

> I typically do not wear adidas as they are usually too narrow up front. I have Ecco loafers in size 47, some Mephisto dress shoes also in size 47 and then Altra or Topo running shoes in size 14. My Cardiff ADC’s are size 13 and just barely fit. Nike is usually size 14 but I haven’t worn them for a while.

>

> drn92

I wear a 47 in Ecco. The Cardiff’s were the same as the gripmore adidas. 13 for me in them. Trues, at least back in the day, fit like those, not like a Nike where I had to wear a 14.

> @Minarets said:

> > @drn92 said:

> > > @Minarets said:

> > > Do you wear a 13 in adidas and 14 in Nike? That’s me. Wondering if you are 14 everywhere? True used to run big like adidas. You may be able to wear some of those TL-1

> >

> > I typically do not wear adidas as they are usually too narrow up front. I have Ecco loafers in size 47, some Mephisto dress shoes also in size 47 and then Altra or Topo running shoes in size 14. My Cardiff ADC’s are size 13 and just barely fit. Nike is usually size 14 but I haven’t worn them for a while.

> >

> > drn92

>

> I wear a 47 in Ecco. The Cardiff’s were the same as the gripmore adidas. 13 for me in them. Trues, at least back in the day, fit like those, not like a Nike where I had to wear a 14.

If my Cardiff’s were any smaller they would not fit. As it is they are tough to wear for a full 18 walking. I tried the TL Knits in a 14. Length was great but they had too much shoe over my instep.

Might just. End up with some Biom Hybrid 2’s.

drn92

• Like 1

> @Liam84 said:

> For my money the best really “non golf” golf shoe are the Vans Ultrarange. Traction is better than many “real” spikeless golf shoes and they look way better (at least to me they do). They’re not really waterproof but they work fine unless it’s truly a downpour.

I have 5 pair of Ultrarange. They are amazing!

> @jtj74 said:

> > @Liam84 said:

> > For my money the best really “non golf” golf shoe are the Vans Ultrarange. Traction is better than many “real” spikeless golf shoes and they look way better (at least to me they do). They’re not really waterproof but they work fine unless it’s truly a downpour.

>

> I have 5 pair of Ultrarange. They are amazing!

To golf in? How durable are they? Do you have them in leather or cloth?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!