2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Titleist CNCPT 02 vs T-MB

b1e3

I'm currently in the market for a new set of irons, currently playing Titleist 695MBs. I don't play nearly as much as I used to, so looking for something with a bit more forgiveness, without giving up too much of the classic blade look. I'd like to stick with Titleist - both the CNCPT 02 and T-MBs caught my eye and felt good in some demo sessions...the ball really seems to launch off the face compared to my current 695MBs.

I am curious to get your thoughts on how these irons compare to each other. I understand the CNCPT 02s are incredibly expensive, but cost aside how should I be thinking about the difference between these two irons. Would you consider one more forgiving than the other, etc?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you try AP2 as well? I prefer the feel over T-MB and it has a nicer grind on it. CNCPT is so expensive it's hard to not consider the price... haven't hit them but they do look nice. I had the 716 T-MB in 4 and 5 iron and they launched high and had a nice straight flight to them. That said, I found them a bit fade bias (good for me since I tend to overdraw) so if you hit it right maybe you'd want to look more towards another option in the lineup. Personally, I find Ping to be the best in terms of forgiveness, feel, playability, and ball flight (for me). I'd check out the i210 and maybe even something from PXG if you're open minded. I don't really like the PXG price point as I think an iron is an iron to a point but they do get good reviews and it might be the combo of launch forgiveness and playability you want.

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @smitty said:

> > 500 per %$#king club? What a joke.

>

> Their limited quantity and marketed to golfers who don’t care about price. That’s the kind of pricing you see when there isn’t a budget that marketing and r&d are working towards.

>

>

Oh I get the tactics, I'm a marketer myself. Guess that was more me saying I don't think any iron is worth 500 per club. I take that back, I'd pay that for a custom one of one forging.

2020 will be Titleists year !So much great product arriving...

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Yeah I think the original concept irons sort of turned into what ended up being the AP3. With the new irons they just announced I don't see anything else new coming around the corner. You could probably find a good deal on a set of AP3s if you're wanting a bit more forgiveness and punch. They're not the best feeling irons but not bad by any means and look ok. I would also stay away from the TMBs as a full set.

> @matthewb said:

> You might want to wait and see if/how Titleist incorporates the CNCPTs and T-MBs into the new irons line. That info should be arriving soon.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I've owned both sets but not for long and i dont play often but here's my opinion...

Concpet, too expensive for what you get, which is nothing that you can't get with another iron, you will have buyers remorse. Buying basically 8 drivers plus the driver you have already, just not worth it. TMB, i wanted to love them but didn't, they arent easy to hit and dont do anything especially well. Sound feel is just okay, they are so hard you can't really even bend them. Price wise they are a bargain compared to concepts but that's about it.

• 5 months later...

I owned 2 sets of TMBs and loved them.

As a golf junky in search of breaking 80 (get close every year and committ to things like equipment, short game clinics, etc.), it seems like I can never get all parts of my game will click at once so it leaves me searching for every little advantage I can.

That being said, my TMBs were fit by Club Champion and I was hitting them fine. When my wife said the kids would "buy" me the CNCPTs for Father's day, I was pumped. Yes, they are expensive so I went to club Champion to try them out with the mindset of not buying them unless I truly saw improvement. To be honest, I really wanted the CNCPT02s as they appealed to my eyes more.

I tested the irons out vs my TMBs and to my disappointment I did not find any gains throughout the fitting. Then I decided to try the CNCPT 01s since I already had the time booked for the fitting. To my surprise, I was gaining 10 to 15 yards more. I was a bit skeptical but given I had a direct comparison to my TMBs I felt assured these were empirically better so I ordered a set.

It took longer than usual to be delivered. I was hoping to get them in time for a 2 day tournament (GCAT) but they took nearly 4 weeks to arrive. I shot 114 and 97 tmduring those two days......BUT then the magic happened. I received my irons right before the next 2 day tournament. I had only one range day with them and I was blasting my iron shots. Example....prior PW went 120 yrds and my 01s were now at 135 yrds (Total carry). For my longer irons, my prior 5 iron flew about 170-175 yrds, my 01s went 190-195 yrds. (note, I hit a pretty strong draw).

So they went to test over the next month in live tournament action. I ended up winning 2 tournaments. (and as I am writing this, I just won another tournament yesterday). Now, did the irons do everything to win the tournament? No, my driver put me in good positions, my shirt game clicked, etc. But my irons have been solid. In this fickle game, it is about confidence and these distances give me more options off the tee.

Yes, the lofts are w to 3 degrees stronger which should translate to just under 5 yrds (I believe it takes 4 degrees to be 5 yrds). The real gain comes from the hit face. The ball flies off the face. My sense is that when you hold this club in one hand vs another (I held my buddies PXGs) you can tell the club head is heavier, ir at least the distribution is such that it feels heavier. If true, then it is simple physics. Force equals mass x acceleration. If I maintain the equivalent acceleration, then I am bound to hit further.... .and all of my smash factors are up.

To boot, the look of the 01s grew on my and yes, there is an exclusive feel. Yes, it is unfortunate that the costs are so high but this game is a bit elitist to begin with. I spent years buying second hand stuff and holding on to them for many years. This is probably the first time ever that I feel my bag is complete from putter to irons to woods. I can certainly say I have been stoked to have them in my bag.

Oh last thing, the distances created a big gap between my 50 degree wedge (110 yrd) vs my 01 PW (135 yrd so I shelled out for the 01 GW and took a hybrid out of my bag. Now I carry 5 wedges (lob, Sw, AW, GW and PW).

I hope this was helpful. I wish my fellow golfers all the best of luck with this game we love (and love to criticize).

Bondz congrats on the journey and the Successful Upgrade. This is what drives the design team!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Congrats on finding a winner. I've been on the fence for ordering a set of the 01 as I'm playing a lot less due to back and hip issues. The day I tested them at Club Champion I was having a sciatica episode and they were still awfully good compared to my C16. I was able to curtail the desire until seeing your post. Looks like I may take another trip down the ever deepening rabbit hole.

The cost wasn't the major factor in deciding not to buy. Playing so much less due to the back and hip issues and the C16 have been really good. Having said that, after reading your review and I can remember how good the 01 felt at the demo even though I was in considerable pain. I played last month in a charity event where it was cool and the back very stiff. That is where I think these could be helpful as they seem to be even more forgiving and easier to launch.