Most forgiving/easy hitting iron heads pre 1975

ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I've looking to get some playable vintage irons. I have a set of 52? Mac TA 985T's, but the telephone pole shafts are a bit too stiff and I don't really wanna drill out the hosel pin to replace them, I also have a **** near pristine set of 66 Wilson Dynapowers all original as well. I'd hate to destroy either of them especially when they won't be my day to day clubs.
So, I figured it would be nice to hear some opinions on some easy hitting irons from the pre 75 days. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,465 ClubWRX

There is no such thing.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hogan Director's. A little heel cut out, a little flange, the Apex shafts were lightish and not terribly stiff. A bit longer blade than some contemporaries, still serving as my barn clubs.

• dcopp7dcopp7 Members Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2019 2:30am #4

Karsten Pings? They came out in 1969

Cleveland Launcher 460 Titanium 10.5* driver

Cobra MAX 16.5* 3 wood

Cobra Bio Cell 19* hybrid

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

OLD Northwestern heel shaft putter
  • deejaiddeejaid Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭

1958 Wilson Dynapowered. Easiest to hit classic blade iron I’ve tried. Almost like a GI iron compared to others of the day. Wide sole width, rounded leading edge, and zero offset. Pro Fit steel shafts are pretty easy to swing. 1959’s look exactly the same but the sole is a bit more narrow. The 1961 the sole was narrower as well. It was one year only, 1958, that was perfection.

The bag......Cleveland persimmon woods, Ping ISI irons and wedges, Ping Anser putter.
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if pre 1975 but Spalding Executives were the very popular GI irons back in the late 70s.

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,465 ClubWRX

@LeoLeo99 said:
    Not sure if pre 1975 but Spalding Executives were the very popular GI irons back in the late 70s.

Early & mid 80’s depending on the model.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hogan Apex Edge (year 2000+) and Mizuno MX line. Both are forged and oversized. Cavity back, GI.

• mickeytbonesmickeytbones Members Posts: 866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wilson X31...various models have a wider sole with a softer leading edge.

• KirasdadKirasdad Kirasdad Members Posts: 747 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 15, 2019 7:24pm #10

Hogan Apex 73/74 generally thought of as a fairly playable blade of that era. Lowish COG, decent sole, good turf interaction, lighter than standard shaft weight. That set of irons in no. 3 flex is about as "forgiving" lol, as you'll find. Sets are hard to come by though. They pop up on eBay from time to time, and I think Hogan made that model for several years till '78 maybe?

Current bag:
    Callaway BB 43.75” 10 degrees (actual 11 degree loft)
    PING G10 4 wood 17 degrees
    Sonatec 20 deg. hybrid
    PVG component 5-PW Apollo stepless steel
    Ram Watson SW
    Acushnet Bullseye putter

• teevonsteevons Members Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have been paying a set of Golfcraft irons from the 60's with Glass shafts, very easy for me to hit, love them and at almost 70 YO very easy on the body, surprised kirasdad did'nt mention them as he has a set now also, lots of Golfcraft on ebay but none with glass shafts

• scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Karste ping 2s I would guess. Still very playable today so 1975 must have been great to hit.... The k3 rails came out in 1976 I think which are even easier to use.

• scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@scruffynick said:
    Karsten ping 2s I would guess. Still very playable today so 1975 must have been great to hit.... The k3 rails came out in 1976 I think which are even easier to use.

• ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply's everyone, the 58 Dynapowers catch my eye more than the others mentioned. We'll see, I'm in no hurry.

• gsea33gsea33 Members Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the 65 Dynapowers and as good as any blade made and just as forgiving as today blades. The weight and feel is above any other blade. I use the SW in any set I play with it is so sweet :smile:

Titleist 975D 10.5
    Titleist 975F 14.5
    Titleist 975F 20.5
    Ping Eye 2 2, 4-SW BECU
    Titleist Acushnet Bullseye

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file