GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Mid-cappers: Transition from PING G700s to G410s

 Drawman ·  
DrawmanDrawman Members  122WRX Points: 79Handicap: 11Posts: 122 Fairways
Joined:  edited Aug 13, 2019 in Equipment #1

Love to hear from people who played the G700s and then moved to the G410s. I'm interested in contrasting:
1. forgiveness
2. feel (harshness on mis-hits)
3. distance
4. peak height

Thanks in advance!

Posted:
Post edited by Drawman on
1

Comments

  • agolf1agolf1 Members  2001WRX Points: 1,149Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #2

    I'm interested but mainly because I am interested in the G700 or next iteration.

    Unless for some reason you've come to hate the feel of the G700, I'm not sure there is really a big difference. Maybe the 410s look slightly better and can be worked a tad more but I'd guess this is marginal.

    The peak height question is a good one. Interested to see what people say here.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • DrawmanDrawman Members  122WRX Points: 79Handicap: 11Posts: 122 Fairways
    Joined:  edited Aug 13, 2019 #3

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    I'm interested but mainly because I am interested in the G700 or next iteration.

    Unless for some reason you've come to hate the feel of the G700, I'm not sure there is really a big difference. Maybe the 410s look slightly better and can be worked a tad more but I'd guess this is marginal.

    The peak height question is a good one. Interested to see what people say here.

    Agree on all accounts. I have an arthritic back and the G700s (especially with the Alta shafts) cut down significantly on any harshness from mis-hits. This more than makes up for the clickiness that people complain about with both the G700/G410s.

    I too am awaiting the replacement for the G700s as they may be just "what the doctor ordered." I'm considering the G410s because of the shorter blade length, reduced offset, and excellent reviews.

    Posted:
  • macedanmacedan Members  423WRX Points: 131Handicap: 18Posts: 423 Greens
    Joined:  #4

    I haven't gamed either, but I have tested both a fair amount. Average score for myself is upper 80's/low 90s. I currently play Rbladez but have also gamed the hollow head Vapor Fly's in the past. I for the life of me could not get past the feel and sound at impact of the G700 which is odd considering I did like the Vapor Fly's quite well. I also struggled with contact in general, mostly psychological as the heads were quite thick and my mindset kept telling me to strike it as a wood. Just not for me. That being said, I loved the G410 irons in testing. 10% reduction in blade length and offset really doesn't sound like much, but they are crisp looking irons and played very similar to my current set, just a bit more positive on the aesthetic side.

    Posted:
    TaylorMade M2 '17 10.5*
    Taylormade M2 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Taylormade P790 (4-PW)
    Taylormade Milled Grind 50/09
    Taylormade Milled Grind 54/11
    Taylormade Milled Grind 58/11
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Ball: Taylormade Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Crossover
    Cart: TGW Players 
  • erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OHMembers  4187WRX Points: 255Handicap: 10.5Posts: 4,187 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5

    I have gamed the G700's since they came out (beat out the i200, G400 and some other oems in my fitting). Since the G410's came out I have tried them several times at the fitting center even with my fitted Modus 105 shaft. Maybe it's because I'm used to the larger blade length of the 700's but the 410's seem more difficult for me. I average (83) so not totally a hack, but the 700's just seem easier for me.

    To be fair, at my level I am not trying to work the ball. I need launch and the 700's provide that. I simply try and hit as many greens as possible and/or want an iron that gets me as close to the green as possible on mishits. The 700's deliver there.

    As for the sound/feel, ever since the G400's came out, the G700 and G410's all have that higher pitched click that you seem to find on the more recent irons like the Cally Steelhead XR, TM M2/M4 irons etc. Once you get used to it, honestly you don't even notice it until you try another iron.

    Posted:

    Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 

    Callaway Epic Flash 7w

    Exotics Xrail  4h | 5h

    Cobra  T-Rail 6-SW

    Cleveland CBX 60* 

    Callaway Sure Out 64*

    Exotics Wingman 01

    Titleist ProV1x Yellow

    Handicap: 9.2


  • North ButteNorth Butte Members  11817WRX Points: 1,614Posts: 11,817 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    On -, @erock9174 said:...you don't even notice it until you try another iron.

    Which for some of us, it must be said, means basically every few days ;-)

    Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • WaytallWaytall Members  86WRX Points: 47Handicap: 22Posts: 86 Fairways
    Joined:  #7

    Are the G700 good on half shots? Seems like they would struggle with finesse type of shots

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • gvogelgvogel Members  8475WRX Points: 1,399Posts: 8,475 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @erock9174 said:

    I have gamed the G700's since they came out (beat out the i200, G400 and some other oems in my fitting). Since the G410's came out I have tried them several times at the fitting center even with my fitted Modus 105 shaft. Maybe it's because I'm used to the larger blade length of the 700's but the 410's seem more difficult for me. I average (83) so not totally a hack, but the 700's just seem easier for me.

    To be fair, at my level I am not trying to work the ball. I need launch and the 700's provide that. ** I simply try and hit as many greens as possible and/or want an iron that gets me as close to the green as possible on mishits. The 700's deliver there. **

    As for the sound/feel, ever since the G400's came out, the G700 and G410's all have that higher pitched click that you seem to find on the more recent irons like the Cally Steelhead XR, TM M2/M4 irons etc. Once you get used to it, honestly you don't even notice it until you try another iron.

    Working the ball is overrated for us guys that shoot 83!

    Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • cfmgolfcfmgolf Members  692WRX Points: 130Handicap: 5-9Posts: 692 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #9

    I have had the G700's for quite some time now. Sound - if you are playing a harder ball (think Srixon VX vs V) then it will have a slightly clickier sound. I certainly had no issue with this as the flight and forgiveness have been great. Came out of Cobra Forged Tec's. "feel shots or 1/2 shots" - again don't really have an issue with them either. Can hit them pretty consistently and don't have an issue with ball jumping. I don't really try to turn them left or right, so this is a non issue for me. Hitting a lower flight shot full shot with the shorter irons is a little tough though. They do want to go high and straight.

    Posted:
    Cobra Speedzone 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow
    Cobra F9 3/4W w/ Tensei Blue 1/2" Short 
    Callaway Rouge 3H & 4H
    Ping G710 5-P w/ KBS Tour 120
    Cleveland CBX 2 48*
    Cleveland CBX 2 52*
    Cleveland CBX Full Face 56*
    TM Spider X 34" blue
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  2001WRX Points: 1,149Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #10

    On -, @Drawman said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    I'm interested but mainly because I am interested in the G700 or next iteration.

    Unless for some reason you've come to hate the feel of the G700, I'm not sure there is really a big difference. Maybe the 410s look slightly better and can be worked a tad more but I'd guess this is marginal.

    The peak height question is a good one. Interested to see what people say here.

    Agree on all accounts. I have an arthritic back and the G700s (especially with the Alta shafts) cut down significantly on any harshness from mis-hits. This more than makes up for the clickiness that people complain about with both the G700/G410s.

    I too am awaiting the replacement for the G700s as they may be just "what the doctor ordered." I'm considering the G410s because of the shorter blade length, reduced offset, and excellent reviews.

    Yeah, I just want something that goes high and straight (no need to do anything else). I'm mainly interested in the next round of the G700 or i500, as I'd like to try the hollow-body irons and there is a decent shot I will get them with graphite shafts. I'm a bit torn on the blade size thing. I'm all for forgiveness/help (which is correlated to size) but I'm not sure I want something that's larger than what I have now. At the same time, the lack of offset in the i500 bothers me, and I don't know how big of a difference there will be on the bad swings in a round.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • DrawmanDrawman Members  122WRX Points: 79Handicap: 11Posts: 122 Fairways
    Joined:  #11

    Working the ball is overrated for us guys that shoot 83!

    I hear you. I'll play late in the day at my course, and a worker will ask if it's okay to grab the pins for the night. My answer is "It's fine, I'm just trying to hit the green!"

    Posted:
  • oiler45oiler45 Members  387WRX Points: 206Posts: 387 Greens
    Joined:  #12

    I don't consider myself a feel player at all but after a couple of months I just couldn't stand the feel or sound of my G700's. I'd actually have guys I was paired up with ask me what I'm hitting cause they sound so "off" when hit thin, especially off the tee. I demoed the G410's but didn't love them either. I sold my '700's and ended up buying some used AP1's - happy so far. The Pings performance was great - high and far - just didn't like the sound.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  2001WRX Points: 1,149Posts: 2,001 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @oiler45 said:

    I don't consider myself a feel player at all but after a couple of months I just couldn't stand the feel or sound of my G700's. I'd actually have guys I was paired up with ask me what I'm hitting cause they sound so "off" when hit thin, especially off the tee. I demoed the G410's but didn't love them either. I sold my '700's and ended up buying some used AP1's - happy so far. The Pings performance was great - high and far - just didn't like the sound.

    Are they any worse than hitting a hybrid? Understand there is a difference in what people are accustomed to with a 19 degree hybrid vs a 45 degree PW but is the actual feel/sound any worse? I've thought about getting the G410/400 26 and 30 degree hybrids and then some irons. Basically wondering if the G700s are something of a compromise.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • oiler45oiler45 Members  387WRX Points: 206Posts: 387 Greens
    Joined:  #14

    I do think they sound worse than a hybrid - or maybe you're kinda expecting a hybrid to sound a certain way - not sure. When the G700 is hit flush they feel and sound ok - but mis-hit them a bit and they sound real strange. Performance is great -and I think they look fine - but ...

    Posted:
  • short gameshort game Members  302WRX Points: 38Handicap: 13Posts: 302 Greens
    Joined:  #15

    i went the opposite way. Had i200's and changed to the 410's. Good move for me.. Hitting more greens. Love the shape of the 410's. The feel is a bit hollow - not as soft as the i200's. i loved the 200's on the range - just couldn't bring that game to the course.

    Posted:
    Ping G 400 Max 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
    Epic 3 wood
    Ping G 400 7 wood
    Ping G 410 4,5 hybrid
    Ping G 410 6 - UW
    Ping Glide 3.0 54 / 58
    Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

    Titelst Pro V1

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.