Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Where to move after college?

Comments

• JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

How about Baja California Sur? Plenty of great golf courses.

• tideridertiderider Members Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

DFW has brutal weather ... hot af summers that never end, but ice storms and blizzards from the great plains ... and, yes, they are, shall we say, enamored with themselves ... but the pga is moving there, so there's that ...

• StetsonStetson Members Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you love golf and Am tournaments than just move to Glasgow :)

Driver: Ping G400 (Tour AD IZ)
    3w: Ping G400 SFT (Tour AD DI)
    3H: Ping G400 (Tour AD DI)
    3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Accra)
    4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
    Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Vokey Links K
    Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H
  • NDSwimNDSwim Members Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

@Pwood28 said:
    Check out DFW, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charleston or maybe Nashville (not sure what winter temps are there). I live in Southern Cal (Orange County) and I'm not sure you can get a better spot from a weather standpoint, but the courses aren't thrilling (definitely not cheap) and the cost of living is getting brutal. I'd recommend staying away from PHX unless you love summer heat. Apart from warm winters and some good restaurants, Phoenix is not a good spot to live and the gold is overstated IMO.

I'm putting a plan in place to out to the DFW area in the next 12 months. Cost of living is good, a lot of good golf and while the weather is not SoCal, it's manageable year round. Not sure what the job market is like in Charleston right now, but if I were coming out of college again, that would be a spot of interest for me.

Phoenix not a good place to live.....have you ever lived here?

• J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

San Antonio is an underrated place to live. Access to a bazillion top flight courses

What's in my bag:
    Cobra F9 Avalance 9* w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 6X 45"
    Cobra F9 Tour 3W w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 7X 42.5"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cobra King Black Wedges 50* & 54* (bent to 55*) Versatile Grind / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"
  • Pwood28Pwood28 Members Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

@NDSwim said:

@Pwood28 said:
    Check out DFW, Tampa, Jacksonville, Charleston or maybe Nashville (not sure what winter temps are there). I live in Southern Cal (Orange County) and I'm not sure you can get a better spot from a weather standpoint, but the courses aren't thrilling (definitely not cheap) and the cost of living is getting brutal. I'd recommend staying away from PHX unless you love summer heat. Apart from warm winters and some good restaurants, Phoenix is not a good spot to live and the gold is overstated IMO.

I'm putting a plan in place to out to the DFW area in the next 12 months. Cost of living is good, a lot of good golf and while the weather is not SoCal, it's manageable year round. Not sure what the job market is like in Charleston right now, but if I were coming out of college again, that would be a spot of interest for me.

Fortunately no...but have spent a lot of time there through college and work. Still own a couple of properties there. I’m not trying to disparage anyone that lives there, to each their own and I know plenty of people still living there. Just offering the contrarian take and my honest opinion.

WITB (short set edition)
    8 club bag (play most of my rounds with this setup):
    TM M3 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Evenflow Black 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree 
    NCW Large Cavity - 24 degree 
    NCW Small Cavity - 32 & 40 degree 
    NCW MB - 48 degree 
    NCW Wedge - 56 degree 
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
  • Pwood28Pwood28 Members Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

@Philomathesq said:

@Pwood28 said:

One word of caution... If you've never spent more than a week in DFW, I suggest you do so before you move out there. The DFW are is very different from the rest of Texas from a mindset perspective. People there think they are the most important people in the world and that the world revolves around them. It becomes very trying very quickly.

@farmer said:
    You have to separate the FW from the D. Ft. Worth, somehow, has a completely different vibe than Dallas. Houston would be a hellish place to live, San Antonio and Austin somewhat better, but traffic and congestion is awful.

Agree with both of these points. I’m actually heading towards Ft. Worth. My in-laws live in Dallas and my wife went to school at TCU. There are good pockets all over the metroplex, but DT Dallas in definitely too much of a scene for me.

WITB (short set edition)
    8 club bag (play most of my rounds with this setup):
    TM M3 440 Driver - 10.5 degree - Evenflow Black 75s
    TM M4 Hybrid - 18 degree 
    NCW Large Cavity - 24 degree 
    NCW Small Cavity - 32 & 40 degree 
    NCW MB - 48 degree 
    NCW Wedge - 56 degree 
    Putter (Still way too many to list!)

IG: Filmooregolf
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Pwood28 said:

@NDSwim said:

@Pwood28 said:

Fortunately no...but have spent a lot of time there through college and work. Still own a couple of properties there. I’m not trying to disparage anyone that lives there, to each their own and I know plenty of people still living there. Just offering the contrarian take and my honest opinion.

Certainly not everyone loves it. Thank goodness for that. That said, I have lived in a couple of cities you listed and despised them. I mean, like I struggle to understand what anyone would like about them level of dislike. So, a perfect representation of how people view things differently. I actually don’t mind people not liking the Valley at all. I get it. And, yet, it is the only place I’ve ever truly loved living.

Like the San Antonio and Denver suggestions as well.

I personally can’t do the Northwest. Prefer dry and hot but would pick it over the majority of suggestions. If you like it a bit more wet and cool, should definitely check it out. Seattle is probably my favorite city that there’s absolutely no chance I’d ever live In.

Yes to each his own, but saying someplace is not a good place to live when never living there and only visiting is just ignorant.

Visit each place you are considering as that will narrow down the final list and then decide from there.

You are young so wherever the job takes you enjoy it , you are going to have the chance to move many times if you want.

• 2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@LoganHecky said:

@2bGood said:
    Good for you for asking the question! Not many do and just end up living where they grew up or went to school.

I am a fan on the pacific north west myself. Lots of a great golf and year round play as the winters are mild. I will take the more temperate climate along with the rain over the scorching hot summers of the places being mentioned so far.

I’ve been interested in the northwest as a possibility. What are the typical “cold” temperatures in winter and how many days get just completely rained out?

It depends on where you are specifically. Cold days are high 40’s with a few days low 40’s. But you get days I. The 60’s in winter too. Where I am we close the course between 5 and 20 days a year. Typically rain is not the issue as most of the courses drain well. It more we have a freak cold day/night where it gets down to freezing and you get snow instead of rain.

Portland for instance on average only gets 2 days a year where it stay below freezing. So it is not typically a big issue. But I recall years where we had enough snow fall during the cold snap that it took a couple weeks for the course to clear.

Typically though March - October is very solid golf weather and I actually love playing in the winter as the courses are quieter and it great to get outside.

• JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Also Mediterranean islands such as Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, Malta, Cyprus, and the Balearics.

• Zac1321Zac1321 Members Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Flagstaff might not be a bad option, weather is pretty mild, a few snow days but doesn't really stick and if that happens on a weekend drive down to phoenix. not super well versed on the golf scene but theres enough courses around there and down in Sedona. just depends on job but seems like theres enough going on there that it owuldnt be too big of an issue

• mshankmshank New game ... playing for position ClubWRX Posts: 127 ClubWRX

I also commend you for doing some leg work on this early!

Although the golf is not year round - I think you should at least give the Raleigh area a look. It offers a great cost of living, weather is hot in the summer for sure but it is manageable. The city itself is blah but the golf scene here really is awesome - you’ve got the college courses, some great public tracks and the pinehurst area is a short drive away.

• AppAlumAppAlum Members Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mshank said:

Although the golf is not year round - I think you should at least give the Raleigh area a look. It offers a great cost of living, weather is hot in the summer for sure but it is manageable. The city itself is blah but the golf scene here really is awesome - you’ve got the college courses, some great public tracks and the pinehurst area is a short drive away.

How is golf not year round in Raleigh? I live in Winston and play all winter long.

• Mitch JordanMitch Jordan mbbagman Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

Great golf culture in the Carolinas and the Carolina Golf Association offers a slate of well run tournaments.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@leerob3 said:
    Austin Texas. Plenty of golf and BBQ.

That would be a good pick. Middle Tenn around Nashville or even down around Chattanooga too. No state income taxes in TX or TN. That matters. Plenty of manufacturing around Nashville and Chattanooga for a mechanical engineer.

• UCFKyleUCFKyle Members Posts: 27 ✭✭

I have never played golf in Nashville, but if I was in my early 20's and single, I would move to Nashville. It is Vegas for women. Only place I have ever been where consistently there are more women then men in the bars. I tell all my friends' sons to go to Vandy.

Nashville has lots of smaller colleges and universities too. Vandy is a tough swing if you are not well heeled or prodigiously smart, perhaps both.

Knock on Nashville is the publics are not extraordinary. There are fine options though. Nice private options abound.

Broadway and second avenue are a hoot. Nashville is a very young, hip scene. I'm 34 and I am too old for it.

Chattanooga has a nice, laid back city center that is nowhere near as "bustling" as Nashville or Atlanta but plenty to do. I can't speak to all the golf there as I haven't frequented it. Sweetens Cove and Sewannee (sp?) are just up the road from 'Nooga and are fun tracks.

• chrisokeefe12chrisokeefe12 Holland, MIMembers Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I am also from Michigan and looking to move out. I have really thought about Texas and Kentucky. I have decided on NC. Love the area and there are a lot of nice golf courses in the area. It would probably be hit or miss on whether you can play year round there, but I will take it.

• PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

@chrisokeefe12 said:
    I am also from Michigan and looking to move out. I have really thought about Texas and Kentucky. I have decided on NC. Love the area and there are a lot of nice golf courses in the area. It would probably be hit or miss on whether you can play year round there, but I will take it.

I moved from Michigan to Texas several years ago and have regretted it ever since. So, my advise is to stay the course and ignore Texas. I'm actually looking for jobs in NC (Charlotte area, mostly), so I applaud your choice. Good luck!

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

• mshankmshank New game ... playing for position ClubWRX Posts: 127 ClubWRX

@AppAlum said:

@mshank said:

How is golf not year round in Raleigh? I live in Winston and play all winter long.

I was referring more to January/February being hit and miss - it’s not as ‘year round’ as Florida but it’s night and day different from northern PA where I grew up :smiley:

• Shades234Shades234 San DiegoMembers Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 21, 2019 1:55am #53

Southern California. Should be able to make the cost of living work with your MechE degree. I live in San Diego. I'd recommend it for anyone if they can swing it. Plenty of local events and if you join a club you'll get access to more. I play with the men's club at Torrey every so often. Pretty fun. SCGA is also well run if you want to qualify for their events or anything the USGA is putting on.

I went to school in Los Angeles and wouldn't recommend it for public golf. The city is too crowded for the amount of public golf options. If you're wealthy and can join a club with a 5 figure initiation, then it makes it more bearable. When you get out of Los Angeles proper, you get more options.

@chrisokeefe12 said:

I live in southern KY. It is basically year round golf but the public options are not super. There are however days in January and February when you don't want to be out. Another thing that you guys from the north might not be taking into consideration is that you will be playing on dormant warm season fairways. When they are dry they are very good surfaces to play on but when they get wet in the winter they are not much fun. Overseeding around here is unheard of. Dormant turf in late October is completely different than dormant turf in March.

In northern KY you run into more cool season courses but you also have colder winters and more days with snow cover.

• fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@az2au said:

@Philomathesq said:

@az2au said:

@Philomathesq said:
    At your age, I'd imagine that joining Anthem CC (north part of Phoenix) isn't too expensive, and their courses are pretty nice.

While it is nice it really depends on where he lives. There are some really good deals to be had at better courses but you need to live in the right spot.

Agreed. But, OP asked for some suggestions of actual places to play, and that was the first one that came to mind because of the value proposition. Having said that, I would not want to live near Anthem if I were having to commute to downtown.

Yeah, understood. The area is so big though that he really needs to understand where he wants to live (like Arcadia, Old Town-ish, Tempe or Kierland area at his age) to understand viability. I have completely different recommendations based on those areas. Well, maybe not Tempe. Not sure what I’d recommend there.

I’ll say that if you’re into music, underground culture, nightlife that doesn’t revolve around bro culture or clubbing, and have no interest in flossing in sports cars then Tempe might be the place for you!

Native zonian and Scottsdale would be very low on the list of places I’d want to live based on the Scottsdale culture

Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@fore_life said:

@az2au said:

@Philomathesq said:

@az2au said:

@Philomathesq said:
    At your age, I'd imagine that joining Anthem CC (north part of Phoenix) isn't too expensive, and their courses are pretty nice.

While it is nice it really depends on where he lives. There are some really good deals to be had at better courses but you need to live in the right spot.

Agreed. But, OP asked for some suggestions of actual places to play, and that was the first one that came to mind because of the value proposition. Having said that, I would not want to live near Anthem if I were having to commute to downtown.

Yeah, understood. The area is so big though that he really needs to understand where he wants to live (like Arcadia, Old Town-ish, Tempe or Kierland area at his age) to understand viability. I have completely different recommendations based on those areas. Well, maybe not Tempe. Not sure what I’d recommend there.

I’ll say that if you’re into music, underground culture, nightlife that doesn’t revolve around bro culture or clubbing, and have no interest in flossing in sports cars then Tempe might be the place for you!

Native zonian and Scottsdale would be very low on the list of places I’d want to live based on the Scottsdale culture

Just to be clear, I wasn't ripping on Tempe, I just don't it well enough to make a solid recommendation.

Also, I know you hate Scottsdale but I have no interest in bro culture, clubbing and I'm not sure what flossing in a sports car means and yet I still choose to live here over anywhere else. I'm into hiking, exercise, golf, basketball and family. That's pretty much it. Scottsdale is no different than Arcadia, Chandler, the revitalized Gilbert or downtown except it has prettier mountains than a lot of those places. Everything else is very similar from what I see.

• EllenHartryEllenHartry Members Posts: 3

Five options for those who graduate from college and think what to do next:
    Get a job
    Enter university
    Take online courses
    Relax

What’s the 5th option?

• fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure. Members Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@NDSwim said:
    What’s the 5th option?

Smoke weed every day

Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • trilinkrealtytrilinkrealty Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

My brother just graduated as a Mechanical Engineer and got a good job in the Bay Area. Good golf up there but as everything else crazy crowded.

I live down in San Luis Obispo county and have a nine holer walking distance and Morro Bay Golf Course about 10 minutes away. Tons of other courses within an hour drive. And besides a bit of fog in the summer great year round golf weather.

• digger71digger71 Members Posts: 4

Zac1321 said:
    Flagstaff might not be a bad option, weather is pretty mild, a few snow days but doesn't really stick and if that happens on a weekend drive down to phoenix. not super well versed on the golf scene but theres enough courses around there and down in Sedona. just depends on job but seems like theres enough going on there that it owuldnt be too big of an issue

I love Flagstaff but it has a real winter with low temps well below freezing for 5+ months and average of almost 10 feet of snow a year. Admittedly in the summer there are few places better

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file