Efficient Swing plus swing aides or splurge on lessons

Rbsiedsc

So I've been going through Monte's Efficient swing video series for the last 3 weeks and I am getting some gains in my swing but still struggling with transition and coming in over the top. I was looking into adding the Speed Trap 2.0 into my training to help. Is that worth it to do along with his videos or would it be best at this point to just pony up for some lessons to get some one-on-one instruction? Thoughts anyone?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

I'd think it would be long run cheaper to pony up for lessons then buying a pricey Speed Trap only to have it give you little in return (esp since there are cheaper options to self create the same effect). Online lessons with Monte are like the same cost as the speed trap and you'd get personalized results. I do love his Efficient Swing series...its superb.

Thanks for the advice. His video is very superb. Nice and thorough. Just wish I can teach my right arm to flex in the downswing in transition, that is what kills me. Right now, I am looping at the top. My backswing is in good position, then my hands come forward and over the top. Makes a little loop if you watch the clubface. Need to work on my casting.

When you do the efficient swing drills, are you taking videos of yourself and reviewing them while you practice? Seeing what you are actually doing vs what you think you are doing is critical to getting the values from that series.

• Like 1

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Thanks everyone. For those who got lessons with Monte, are the 5 lessons worth it or does he normally nail it with just one? I’d hate to get improvement and not use the rest up. Anyone bank extras for an extended time period or does his code expire?

> @northgolf said:

> When you do the efficient swing drills, are you taking videos of yourself and reviewing them while you practice? Seeing what you are actually doing vs what you think you are doing is critical to getting the values from that series.

Yes I am. I know I am good through left arm parallel. After that I think I may over rotate ( club kids goes outta control) and my transition is likely too steep.

Get the 5 lessons. Your backswing isn't as good as you think it is. Even if it were, nobody has the golf swing nailed after one or two lessons.

Adams 9015D 10.5 Matrix Ozik
TM M2 Deep Face 3HL Fuji Atmos 6
Callaway Apex 20 Steelfiber hls780
Adams Pro Mini 23 Steelfiber i95
Adams A12 Pro Black 5-9PW Steelfiber i95
Adams CB2 GW Steelfiber i95
Vokey SM6 Black 54 S-Grind Steelfiber i110 CW
Vokey Oil Can 58 V-Grind Kuro Kage TiNi 105
Scotty Cameron Pro Plat Newport Mil Spec

It's not how fast you play, it's how well you play fast!

> @Rbsiedsc said:

> > @northgolf said:

> > When you do the efficient swing drills, are you taking videos of yourself and reviewing them while you practice? Seeing what you are actually doing vs what you think you are doing is critical to getting the values from that series.

>

>

>

> Yes I am. I know I am good through left arm parallel. After that I think I may over rotate ( club kids goes outta control) and my transition is likely too steep.

>

>

>

>

Honestly, that’s a damn good downswing considering some of the issues you’re having in the backswing.

My advice would be to try and find someone good, even if you have to drive a ways, to give you hands on how to get your knees and hips moving on the backswing. Then get the backswing wrist action right. My instinct is you will have a really good swing if you get those two issues cleaned up.

Bad news is the lower body action in the backswing is pretty far off, especially first move off the ball and you likely need someone to literally be hands on and show you what it should be.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Thanks. Also have people found his lessons more helpful than local pros?

Rb, Monte has given you some great advice based on what he saw in your videos.

Would you like to share roughly where you live and maybe we can give some suggestions for a good local instructor?

Portland OR area. (Beaverton to be exact) Have the budget for Monte’s 5 lesson setup plus I have a 5 month old so finding time for consistent lessons may be tricky. I did get a fitting by Jari Hakonen and he does lessons on his simulator (Birdie Finish Golf).

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> > @Rbsiedsc said:

> > > @northgolf said:

> > > When you do the efficient swing drills, are you taking videos of yourself and reviewing them while you practice? Seeing what you are actually doing vs what you think you are doing is critical to getting the values from that series.

> >

> >

> >

> > Yes I am. I know I am good through left arm parallel. After that I think I may over rotate ( club kids goes outta control) and my transition is likely too steep.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Honestly, that’s a **** good downswing considering some of the issues you’re having in the backswing.

>

> My advice would be to try and find someone good, even if you have to drive a ways, to give you hands on how to get your knees and hips moving on the backswing. Then get the backswing wrist action right. My instinct is you will have a really good swing if you get those two issues cleaned up.

>

> Bad news is the lower body action in the backswing is pretty far off, especially first move off the ball and you likely need someone to literally be hands on and show you what it should be.

>

>

>

>

Thank you for the advice Monte! I always thought my hips were decent. I appreciate you pointing that out. Years of muscle memory from baseball really hinder my golf mechanics. I also know on the rare occasion I can connect on my swing, I really can bomb a driver 300+). That just always happens few and far between with my mechanics.

> @Rbsiedsc said:

> Thanks. Also have people found his lessons more helpful than local pros?

I have taken lessons from a lot of people in so cal, incl Monte. He’s definitely much better than the average pro. Much - he’s top shelf. I am not sure what your question is - if you can see him in person, do it. Having seen the efficient swing, you’ll understand his core ideas which will make his input more effective. But if you’re out of the region, then I think his suggestion about seeing someone in person to physically move your body around makes more sense than on-Line with him because you’re going to need to feel how strange the change in your lower body is going to be.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Rbsiedsc said:

> > Thanks. Also have people found his lessons more helpful than local pros?

>

> I have taken lessons from a lot of people in so cal, incl Monte. He’s definitely much better than the average pro. Much - he’s top shelf. I am not sure what your question is - if you can see him in person, do it. Having seen the efficient swing, you’ll understand his core ideas which will make his input more effective. But if you’re out of the region, then I think his suggestion about seeing someone in person to physically move your body around makes more sense than on-Line with him because you’re going to need to feel how strange the change in your lower body is going to be.

>

>

Ya I am in NW Oregon so in-person with Monte is out of the question. I thought of lessons with my fitter Jari (see full name above) but will to take recommendations for others on the area. I appreciate everyone’s comments and advice.

It may be more of an investment than you're able to make right now, but Jim Waldron (a frequent poster here- see Arm Swing Illusion) and his Balance Point Golf School is in the Portland area at Quail Valley.

> @mcputter said:

> It may be more of an investment than you're able to make right now, but Jim Waldron (a frequent poster here- see Arm Swing Illusion) and his Balance Point Golf School is in the Portland area at Quail Valley.

For the issues I have with my swing, would the half day really help my woes? I guess any knowledge would go a long ways. I feel like I may need multiple lessons just to make sure I am on track.

The number one issue you need to tackle is that hip movement. Left hip moves way too much and right hip moves in the wrong direction. You could also attack this from improving knee action.

Focus on how this video describes right and left hip movement.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @Rbsiedsc said:

> > @mcputter said:

> > It may be more of an investment than you're able to make right now, but Jim Waldron (a frequent poster here- see Arm Swing Illusion) and his Balance Point Golf School is in the Portland area at Quail Valley.

>

>

> For the issues I have with my swing, would the half day really help my woes? I guess any knowledge would go a long ways. I feel like I may need multiple lessons just to make sure I am on track.

>

Changing an old habit takes some time because, among other things, your whole swing assumes your old move and will have to accommodate to the change. Changing the way our brain and its connections to our muscles works is done through repetition. For these reasons, I believe several shorter lessons are more beneficial than a single longer lesson. And either way, learning how to practice and drill the better motion (and know if you’re doing it better or the same, independent of feel) is essential.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @Rbsiedsc said:

> Portland OR area. (Beaverton to be exact) Have the budget for Monte’s 5 lesson setup plus I have a 5 month old so finding time for consistent lessons may be tricky. I did get a fitting by Jari Hakonen and he does lessons on his simulator (Birdie Finish Golf).

I also live in Beaverton. I’ve been going to Brad Hunter at GOLFTEC in Tualatin for almost a year. I’ve gone from a 9.9 to a 5.5 and have shot in the 70’s more times in 2019 than in all prior years combined. GOLFTEC is expensive but Brad is really good (I’ve gone to a few instructors in the area and he is far and away the best). I’ve referred four of my friends to him and they’ve all bought lesson packages, and they all think equally highly about him.

If you want more details PM me your cell and I’ll text you.

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Rbsiedsc said:

> > > @mcputter said:

> > > It may be more of an investment than you're able to make right now, but Jim Waldron (a frequent poster here- see Arm Swing Illusion) and his Balance Point Golf School is in the Portland area at Quail Valley.

> >

> >

> > For the issues I have with my swing, would the half day really help my woes? I guess any knowledge would go a long ways. I feel like I may need multiple lessons just to make sure I am on track.

> >

>

> Changing an old habit takes some time because, among other things, your whole swing assumes your old move and will have to accommodate to the change. Changing the way our brain and its connections to our muscles works is done through repetition. For these reasons, I believe several shorter lessons are more beneficial than a single longer lesson. And either way, learning how to practice and drill the better motion (and know if you’re doing it better or the same, independent of feel) is essential.

>

100%. Change takes time. You will not be cured in one lesson or five or 10. But you can make huge improvement if you dedicate yourself to consistent lessons and practice over several months.

Thank you everyone for your help. No lessons yet, just trying to take in concepts mentioned here. Really focusing on hip rotation. Still over rotating, especially the left side and I know my right hip could stand to come up higher. Rest of lower body is terrible and I still loop at the top. Try to fix one area at a time. Plan is for lessons in the future to quiet my swing.