Best golf grip for cold winter weather

eagles1 ·  
eagles1eagles1  1305WRX Points: 122Members Posts: 1,305

I have heard that corded grips are less effective in the winter time as they tend to get too harsh and slippery. Same for traditional rubber grips.

Can anyone recommend grips that remain tacky during the winter months? I hear the Golf Pride 2G is an option, but looking for some input from others, especially for later model grips as I have not researched newer models in awhile.

Thanks in advance !!

Posted:

Comments

• gripandripgripandrip  1140WRX Points: 183Members Posts: 1,140

What are you wearing on your hands? I haven't seen much degradation on grip performance in any weather I would play... (down to about 30). I play the Lamkin Z5 grips.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics...  6555WRX Points: 240Members Posts: 6,555

Tough to beat the Tour Wrap 2G, here.

Posted:
    Ping G410+ 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD GP-6 (X)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • eagles1eagles1  1305WRX Points: 122Members Posts: 1,305

On -, @gripandrip said:

What are you wearing on your hands? I haven't seen much degradation on grip performance in any weather I would play... (down to about 30). I play the Lamkin Z5 grips.

I wear Zero Restriction Windstopper gloves on both hands below 40 degrees.

Posted:
  • gripandripgripandrip  1140WRX Points: 183Members Posts: 1,140

I use the FJ winter gloves and have had no issues with grip... with the Z5, UTX and Tour wrap. Maybe the gloves?

Posted:
  • woods991woods991 believeland 2504WRX Points: 167Handicap: 12ClubWRX Posts: 2,504

lamkin sonar tour

Posted:
    Signature of Solon CC
    Callaway Mavrik (soon) Attas 11 "Jack" 6r 45“
    Titleist TS2 (tour issue)15 Aldila Blue NV 70r 42.75”
    Cleveland Launcher Turbo 18 
    Mizuno Jpx 919 Hot Metal Nippon Modus3 Pro 105s
    Cleveland CBX2 50 KBS Tour Custom
    Ping Glide 3.0 54 (Eye2) sole, Modus3 Pro 105
    Ping Glide 3.0 60 (Eye2)sole Modus3 Pro 105
    Evnroll ER9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”

On -, @woods991 said:

lamkin sonar tour

Interesting choice - good in cold? Seems to be a nice fit.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BirdyjuiceBirdyjuice Granbury, Tx 76WRX Points: 63Handicap: 11Members Posts: 76

On -, @woods991 said:

lamkin sonar tour

Was going to say this or the regular Lamkin Sonar. The sonar is a little softer than the tour, it may give a little more grip in the cold when materials get firm but either way these are both great grips that I think will do well when cold.

Posted:
  • golfguru80golfguru80  32WRX Points: 26Members Posts: 32

i like the regular lamkin sonar

Posted:
  • cristphotocristphoto  3578WRX Points: 258Members Posts: 3,578

I use the same cord grips year round. No problems with slipping. Being in Maryland I see differing weather and, yes, the grips will feel different in winter vs summer but I accept it. I second the prior statement about ZR Windstopper gloves. These work great in any weather I can endure but still give great feel vs other brands.

Posted:
  • brianhorne8brianhorne8  1598WRX Points: 184Members Posts: 1,598

I’ll second the Tour Wrap 2G or my personal favorite, PURE Wrap. Soft, tacky, and you can get them in quite a few colors.

Posted:
  • brianhorne8brianhorne8  1598WRX Points: 184Members Posts: 1,598

I should add they work well in wet and cooler weather with my FJ rain gloves.

Posted:

Advertisement

Thanks, all for the comments. I spoke with the Lamkin rep. yesterday, and he believes that the regular Sonar would be better than the Tour in cold weather. He was kind endough to offer to send me one of each to sample.

Posted:
  • kleinheinzkleinheinz  1WRX Points: 5Members Posts: 1

Lamkin Sonar is great in cold weather

Posted:
  • ChoreaChorea  12WRX Points: 11Members Posts: 12

I agree

Posted:

For the Lamkin Solar, is it the "standard" or the "wrap" style that is better in cold?

Posted:
  • woods991woods991 believeland 2504WRX Points: 167Handicap: 12ClubWRX Posts: 2,504

I am in ne Ohio and the sonar tour has been great not quite as soft as the reg sonar but soft enough great grip loving my recent switch from gp velvet

Posted:
    Signature of Solon CC
    Callaway Mavrik (soon) Attas 11 "Jack" 6r 45“
    Titleist TS2 (tour issue)15 Aldila Blue NV 70r 42.75”
    Cleveland Launcher Turbo 18 
    Mizuno Jpx 919 Hot Metal Nippon Modus3 Pro 105s
    Cleveland CBX2 50 KBS Tour Custom
    Ping Glide 3.0 54 (Eye2) sole, Modus3 Pro 105
    Ping Glide 3.0 60 (Eye2)sole Modus3 Pro 105
    Evnroll ER9 Superstroke ultra slim 1.0p 33”

Advertisement
  • ethan380ethan380  79WRX Points: 13Members Posts: 79

Big winter gloves call for big Grips. Try Bryson Dechambeau's jumbo max.

Posted:

On -, @ethan380 said:

Big winter gloves call for big Grips. Try Bryson Dechambeau's jumbo max.

I have no idea what this statement means.

Posted:
  • woofelfinwoofelfin  354WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 354

On -, @eagles1 said:

On -, @gripandrip said:

dam saw they were $80 on their site- was thinking about just going FJ Weather ones

Posted:

On -, @woofelfin said:

On -, @eagles1 said:

On -, @gripandrip said:

dam saw they were $80 on their site- was thinking about just going FJ Weather ones

They're pricey because they work. I think I ordered mine through Amazon and paid much less.

Posted:
  • Jamesng2003Jamesng2003  42WRX Points: 34Handicap: 20Members Posts: 42

going to order me a pair of the Zero Restrictions

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick  480WRX Points: 179Members Posts: 480

On -, @cristphoto said:

On -, @woofelfin said:

On -, @eagles1 said:

On -, @gripandrip said:

They're pricey because they work. I think I ordered mine through Amazon and paid much less.

Today I played in low 30's temperature with 20-30 mph winds wearing FJ WinterSof Gloves. This was the first time that I've used these gloves. They were outstanding. My hands were completely warm and there were absolutely no grip issues. Is there something special about the Zero Restriction gloves that makes them worth 2 pairs of the Footjoys? I'm not being sarcastic. After playing today, I decided that I want to have a backup pair of winter gloves in my bag in case I tear one mid-round. I was just going to buy another pair of FJ's. But, if there is something better, I'm certainly open to trying them.

Posted:

I like the ZR gloves because the hi-tech Gore material allows the gloves to insulate and be thin enough so you don't lose feel. They literally are the thickness of a regular golf glove. Plus they have the normal velcro closure where the Footjoy has an elastic neck which makes putting on and off more difficult. Plus it binds when you are dressed for cold conditions. The Footjoy seems like a rain glove but with fleece lining on the back of the hand. The ZR has a rubbery texture that allows for good traction. Yes they cost more than the Footjoy but that's a value decision. Currently available from Amazon for $44. Photos attached.

Posted:
  • Bill BroderickBill Broderick  480WRX Points: 179Members Posts: 480

On -, @cristphoto said:

I like the ZR gloves because the hi-tech Gore material allows the gloves to insulate and be thin enough so you don't lose feel. They literally are the thickness of a regular golf glove. Plus they have the normal velcro closure where the Footjoy has an elastic neck which makes putting on and off more difficult. Plus it binds when you are dressed for cold conditions. The Footjoy seems like a rain glove but with fleece lining on the back of the hand. The ZR has a rubbery texture that allows for good traction. Yes they cost more than the Footjoy but that's a value decision. Currently available from Amazon for $44. Photos attached.

How are they for warmth? I started researching them and keep seeing reviews that think of them as a great rain glove, but not warm enough to be a winter glove.

FWIW, while I was doing that research, I found that Footjoy just came out with a new winter glove that appears to be a combination of the Zero Restriction and their old glove. They have a fleece back and velcro enclosure. But, the palm of the glove is cabretta. It's now called StaSof Winter Glove. At $50 per pair, the MSRP is less expensive than the ZR. But, given Footjoy street pricing, it's going to end up being more expensive.

Posted:
  • sayashopsayashop  14WRX Points: 3Members Posts: 14

I’ll be getting a pair!

Posted:

I received my care package from Lamkin. Just had the regular Solar grip installed on my driver. I'm playing tomorrow and will give my review accordingly.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Bill Broderick said:

On -, @cristphoto said:

How are they for warmth? I started researching them and keep seeing reviews that think of them as a great rain glove, but not warm enough to be a winter glove.

FWIW, while I was doing that research, I found that Footjoy just came out with a new winter glove that appears to be a combination of the Zero Restriction and their old glove. They have a fleece back and velcro enclosure. But, the palm of the glove is cabretta. It's now called StaSof Winter Glove. At $50 per pair, the MSRP is less expensive than the ZR. But, given Footjoy street pricing, it's going to end up being more expensive.

I would rate them as equal for warmth. My hands stay comfortable with either but the big difference for me is the bulk. Getting a tee or ball marker out of my pocket is a pain with the Footjoy gloves but simple with the ZR. And as I previously stated if you take the Footjoy gloves on and off when putting its a bit awkward compared to the ZR. In my experience every ZR product I've used appears to be designed by actual golfers as they simply perform as expected. You will pay for that performance however.

Posted:
  • birdie30birdie30  28WRX Points: 21Members Posts: 28

On -, @cristphoto said:

the gore material is nice, i may get a pair

Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4567WRX Points: 512Members Posts: 4,567

Never heard of anyone changing grips over summer to winter. I use tour wrap and love the squishy softness in all weather.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @LeoLeo99 said:

Never heard of anyone changing grips over summer to winter. I use tour wrap and love the squishy softness in all weather.

Never heard of a golfing ho'? ;)

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.