Driver Fitting Question

ephmen ·  
ephmenephmen  284WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 284

Ideally, I would love to do a driver fitting outdoors on a trackman. As a "feel" player, when warming up, I can see my ball flight and adjust my swing based on what the ball is doing. Indoors, I seem to lack the ability to correct my swing visually. Unfortunately, I don't have access to outdoor trackman fitting, so wondering is it still valuable to get fit even if my swing isn't in great shape in an indoor fitting studio?

Thanks in advance.

Posted:

Comments

• jvincentjvincent  1142WRX Points: 516Members Posts: 1,142

It's certainly better than not getting fit.

If you get fit indoors they should have the LM in driving range mode where you can "see" the simulated ball flight. The modern LMs are actually pretty good at this.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16  8697WRX Points: 1,091Members Posts: 8,697

Yes unless your swing is drastically different. Sometimes indoors with all the visual "distractions" around me, my path and stuff can get weird but usually good enough players can still adjust. Plus, you'll hit enough shots where a good fitter should be able to improve your numbers with just 5 or 6 really good hits. Ideally, you'd probably have 15-20 really good hits to look at, but sometimes that's just not realistic for some guys. It's still worth going IMO.

Posted:
    D - Epic SZ | Tour Z Xtreme 465
    4w - '16 Tour Issue M1 | Diamana B Series
    3h - '17 Tour Issue M1 | Project X Hybrid
    Irons - MP-20 SEL 4-PW | Modus 120
    GW - Glide 3.0 50/12 | S400 Tour Issue
    SW - Glide 3.0 54/12| S400 Tour Issue
    LW - Glide 3.0 58/10 | S400 Tour Issue
    P - EVNROLL ER5
    Ball - Bridgestone BXS

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New Zealand 2679WRX Points: 234Members Posts: 2,679

What are you looking for ..more fairways

Less of a hook.. more

Rollout..lower spin..what shot do you want to minimize

Posted:
    2020 HappyNewYear

Ping I20 10.5
    Titleist 917F2 at15.75
    Ping G 7wd at 20
    Titleist 904 22
    Three TM Covers...

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

MD2 50S
    588 56 TourAction
    900 60 TourAction
    Scotty ProPlatinum

• monkeyboymonkeyboy  776WRX Points: 222Handicap: 8.6Lefty Boomers Posts: 776

Having done both, and personally preferring to see my actual flight outdoors...I would highly recommend finding a place that can do an outdoor fitting.

I also think that f you spend alot of time hitting in indoor bays - you will eventually become more comfortable with them - narrowing the gap in results between outdoor/indoor fittings.

You are going to spend probably $150 on a fitting and $300-$600 for a new driver, that's a good amount of money to really be sure you are not wasting it.

Posted:
    Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (14.5) - Cobra F9 Aldila NV Green 75 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips
  • eagle2838eagle2838  196WRX Points: 107Members Posts: 196

I'd agree that, if hitting outside is important to you, find a place that will offer an outdoor fitting. Are you sure there is not anywhere near you that you can do an outdoor fitting on a good launch monitor? Keep in mind that demo days (especially ones where you sign up for fitting times) may offer this opportunity.

I did my last driver fitting indoors at Club Champion, and I doubt I will do another indoor fitting. I'd put myself in the "feel player" group, as well, and I tee the ball quite high and strike with a negative AoA for the driver. I struggled to get a tee height on mats that was correct, which was exacerbated by the flex in the impact zone of the mat. Basically, what looked like the right tee height was actually too high, but the "correct" height for impact position on the face didn't look right to me, either, and I flattened out my swing to compensate. I have been much more satisfied with subsequent fittings where I have had an opportunity to either hit outside or do a combination of outside and in.

For many golfers, I think an indoor fitting can work really well, and @jvincent is right that modern LM's (certainly Trackman) do a really good job of representing actual ballflight. So, it probably depends a bit on your exact concern and your next best option. Any fitting is going to be quite eye-opening if you have never done one or if it has been a while.

Posted:
    TM M3 460, HZRDUS Black 65 6.0
    Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White 75 6.0
    Titleist TS2 HY 19*, EvenFlow White 90 6.0
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 5.5
    Mizuno MP59 4-6 PX 5.5
    Mizuno MP69 7-P PX 5.5
    Miura New Wedge 51* PX 5.5
    Miura K-Grind 56* PX 5.5
    Scotty Studio Select NP2 2008 33" / SeeMore X2 Black 33"
    ProV1x

• ephmenephmen  284WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 284

Thanks everyone. This seems to be particular to the driver for me. Fingers crossed for now.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jeff1727jeff1727  207WRX Points: 58Handicap: 14Members Posts: 207

I think it depends on the place. I took lesson indoors at a place that had very high ceilings and had excellent lighting. I felt very comfortable there and was able to get a lot out of the lessons. He did offer driver fittings but did not carry any other shafts besides the stock shafts. I decided I wanted to at least test some different shafts so I made an appointment at another place in town. I showed up and after a few swings knew I was in trouble. The ceilings felt very low and it was dark. I felt claustrophobic and my swing was all over the place. It was a complete disaster. I was swinging well under 100 MPH and longest carry was 220. I typically see 103-109 with carry close to 255-270. Got fitted outdoors in Florida while visiting my parents.

Posted:
  • HobbsHobbs  65WRX Points: 43ClubWRX Posts: 65

I participated in a driver fitting at CC about a year ago. They actually fitted me into my driver that I brought in, but changed the weight setup and a different shaft. The fitter lowered my loft sub 8* because he wanted to lower my spin rate and on trackman my numbers looked "ideal". However, like @eagle2838 said, I could not get a tee height that I actually play, but I had to "settle" for what they had.

I returned to the outdoor range for a lesson from a coach who uses a trackman as well and my numbers were "off". I wasn't getting the carry distance from my fitting and ball flight was low. The swing coach absolutely hated my driver and he never comments on equipment because he's understands they are $$$ and everyone's preferance is different. Worst was my spin numbers were so low and the ball would just fall out of the sky. And I noticed the ball falling out of the sky at previous range sessions after the fitting, but I thought it was "me" since the driver was just fit for me.

Once the swing coach found out my loft was sub 8*, we cranked it back to 9* and my outdoor trackman numbers immediately improved and the ball flight/launch were dramatically better. In fact, I am hitting the driver better than I have ever before.

So long story short, try to get fit outdoors. While trackman (or other LM) numbers are essential (I believe) to optimize your swing/equipment, the true test is playing a round and the "eye test". If you have no other choice but to have an indoor fitting, make sure the fitter or company has a return policy (if you purchase the club from them)so you can get dialed in and feel comfortable. CC wanted $$$ for the new shaft and luckily I already owned the club head.

I was able to find the same shaft I was fitted for on ebay for a lot less than from CC. I was willing to take the risk of spending less on a shaft than what CC charged with their fitting guarantee they provide for 90 days. Besides, I'm a golfwrx club ho now, so what's one extra shaft added to the bunch.

Good luck with your fitting!

Posted:
    Cobra F9 - Accra TZ6 65 M5
    Cobra F9 Tour 3/4 - 15* - Diamana D+ Limited 70x 
    Mizuno MMC 2 Iron
    Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-PW
    RTX4 50*, 54* and 58*
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style
  • BigHook25BigHook25  2299WRX Points: 122Members Posts: 2,299

I had a similar experience and it was also at CC. If I got fit again, it would be outdoors. I really struggled with the driver in the fitting (didn't end up buying one), and there were some shots that were read as being way different than what I felt. One I thought I hit dead straight, just pure, and the monitor read it way different. From then on, my swing and trying to manipulate everything was never the same.

I guess it just depends on how comfortable you are in those hitting bays or not.

Posted:
  • meliason_14meliason_14  23WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 23

Been fit both ways. I would be more concerned with the fitter than inside versus outside. Big difference between experienced fitters and a pro who does fittings on the side.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.