Best way to get a handicap

jimb6golf ·  
jimb6golfjimb6golf  1684WRX Points: 173Members Posts: 1,684

I'm trying to find out the best way to obtain a USGA handicap. As I am not currently a member at a club I use GolfShot to collect my scores and it determines an 'average to par' or handicap (they are the same calculation per GolfShot, it's just a naming rights thing with USGA). As I am planning a trip to Scotland this summer I need an official USGA handicap but am unclear as to how to obtain without a club membership. I've looked into MassGolf.com but they are on hold while the update the world handicapping process change. Any suggestions?

Posted:

Comments

• Warrior42111Warrior42111 Florida 342WRX Points: 157Handicap: 19Members Posts: 342

I use the grint app. It gives you a virtual home club and you get a USGA HC. Just pint the card from the site and you're good to go overseas.

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5| Project X Even Flow Black X 6.5
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 * |Mitsubishi Tensei CK White 70 X
    Ping G400 18
    | PING Alta CB 65 Stiff
    Callaway Apex 19 4-PW | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Callaway MD4 48* / 54* / 59* | Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 X
    Odyssey Stroke Lab, Toulon Memphis 34"

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MarkripMarkrip Boss fan 62  1748WRX Points: 270Members Posts: 1,748

I also use the Grint and the previous poster is correct.

Posted:
    Driver - Cobra F7
    3w- Adams Tight Lies 2 16
    Hybrid - Cobra F8 19
    Irons- Sub 70 739 5-PW
    Wedges- Tour Edge CB Pro 50, 54 , 58
    Putter- Tour Edge HP Series 01
  • ksmoot81ksmoot81  27WRX Points: 28Handicap: 13.8Members Posts: 27

I don't use Grint but heard its great. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Mass offers an eClub like Virginia does (where I live) so that's probably your only option.

Posted:

D: Cobra F9 11.5* | F: Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5* | H: GAPR Mid 20*, Cobra F6 23.5* | I: Bridgestone J33 CB 5-PW | W: Vokey 200 52/56/60 | P: Bettinardi Minovai

• NewbyNewby  7554WRX Points: 583Members Posts: 7,554

Whether or not you will need a handicap depends on which courses you intend to play.

Posted:
  • ImpImp Fueled  6159WRX Points: 242Handicap: 12.6Members Posts: 6,159

The Grint is a good way if you won't wish to join a club. Minial fee of around $20.

Barring that, since you're in MA, there are many ways to get one locally. Find your nearest public course and inquire if they have a club there that does handicapping. Many times, it's a nominal fee. Anywhere from $30-$80-$100 or ... membership to a club.

If you want to play some different courses with like minded individuals in a tournament setting, you could join a "club " like the New England Amateur Tour or similar: http://www.bagsri.com/index.html $100 or so, and access to weekly and weekend tournaments at sceduled clubs through RI, MA, NH.

Lots of options. :)

--kC

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.