CPM and flex Matching - What chart to use ? FCM ? What is flex slope?

Howard_Jones

We can flex match both taper and parallel tips, both by turning /choosing weak vs strong FLO line, but also by tip trim. Most hosels accept 3/8" tip trim on taper tip shafts before we might get insert problems (hosel becomes to tight vs shaft OD). Since flex matching mostly is used on DESCENDING wgt shafts, and its hard to compare shaft WEIGHT with Constant WGT, ive made a few charts with focus on GRAMS PR INCH so we are able to get a apple to apple compare no matter direction.

DESCENDING WGT SHAFTS ONLY - GRAM PR INCH -

SHAFT WEIGHT IN THE CHART IS NOW DIRECTLY COMPARABLE WITH CONSTANT WGT TAPERS AS "UNCUT" WGT.

Example, we want to make a RIFLE SPINNER flex 6.0 - We need a 7.0 BLANK tipped as a #8 iron, but the weight compare is to DG as #9 or 37.00" and a 7.0 blank will be 126 grams as 37.00" so we talk the area of DG S200 who is 127 grams and typical for wedge use.

DA908PU6CC6Q.pngThe same collection, now as estimated NET CUT WGT.

Basis is a BBGM of 1.25" and 1/8" butt cut for grip cap, a total of 1 3/8" difference to Play length.

TM7XJ94Y4F40.png

For CONSTANT wgt (or AMT) we dont have the same "grams pr inch" for all shaft, but the same uncut weight as grams, and variable grams pr inch depending on what shaft in the set.

SBIR0YHQPCA9.png

ESTIMATED NET CUT WGT CONSTANT WGT SHAFTS - 1.25" BBGM and 1/8" additional butt cut for grip cap - 1 3/8" total difference vs play length. (here standard #9 = 36.00")

UNFC457A55DR.pngWOODS - GRAMS PR INCH

You can read it as NET CUT SHAFT LENGTH AND WEIGHT.

If you dont know NET shaft length, its 1.5 to 2.0 inch shorter than the play length of that club (BBGM is typical 1.5 to 2.0" and maybe another 1/8" for grip cap)

Example, a 95 grams shaft uncut as 46.00 Long, played to 45.00" will be net about 43.00 or 89 grams installed. Since we on woods is down at about 2 grams pr inch, we have to "fail" by 0.5 inch in our judgement of BBGM to be off by 1 gram. so the shaft should be safe to use since weight tolerance from production is larger than plus minus 1 gram.

Reversed use, you find a 42.00 uncut hybrid shaft thats 80 grams....row 42.00" and 80 grams tells this shaft is 1.91 grams pr inch....and the option to that shaft might be a 41.00 long 80 grams...are they the same weight? NOPE 80 grams as 41.00" say its 1,96 grams pr inch, so if it was 42.00" long like the other, that shaft would say 82 grams.....dont let official specs fool you when you compare shafts, make sure you know GRAMS PR INCH, if you dont, then "grams and grams" can be many different measurements just like SW values, they loose meaning if we dont know the whole story and thats GRAMS PR INCH....

Its also grams pr inch we use to calculate weight gain or loss when hard or soft stepping since we gain or loose weight equal to 0.5" inch of shaft.DESCENDING WGT - WOODS HYBRIDS & IRONS - GRAMS PR.INCHFROM 2.76 grams pr inch and below = 46.00" wood as 127 grams, or a 41.00" long descending wgt iron / hybrid shaft of 113 gramsIts the same chart for all, since its grams pr inch that tells what animal this is.

6MKDOXHV6JFA.pngFROM 1.72 grams pr inch and below = 46.00" wood as 79 grams, or a 41.00" long descending wgt iron / hybrid shaft of 70 grams

ECK97WIXRCR3.png

If you study the chart like it was a large PHOTO - you get to see the patterns of CONSTANT wgt shafts from the "pattern" or diagonal lines the same number as grams "draws" on the descending weight map. The progression rate from #3 to #9 in a set of CONSTANT weight is 11%, on the "Grams pr inch" chart, while AMT ends up with a progression rate of about 33% plus minus depending on shaft weight range. Steeper progression rate as grams pr inch the higher the shaft weight is.To be able to make a compare of 2 shaft and its "official weight" we need to know GRAMS pr INCH who is uncut wgt / uncut length, and thats what this chart help you with.

• Like 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Just a thought Howard, having been there and done that with the "removal/install" tutorial. You may want to convert this to PDF also just in case something happens and your post gets wiped out. It's obviously a lot of work, and fortunately, you can also attach PDF files to the posts here so less chance all your work may be lost.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Adding a post with practical use of the weight chart....

Lets say you have a shaft on your desk, but have no idea "where you came from" or what that shaft was as uncut wgt, or how to pick a shaft with similar weight feel for a club next to it.

From the hips we say this shaft was net cut 42.50" and came from a driver, and feels "just right" and now the weight is 65 grams.

65 grams in the row for 42.50" say this shaft is was 70 grams uncut as 46.00" when it was new (Balance point might send us off a little but not much)

Another task: "Constant weight woods"

Now we want to make a 5W - and give thats 5W the same "feel of shaft weight" as our driver shaft gives.

The driver was 45.00 long, our 5W shall be 42.00" or 3 inch shorter.

We now start from the row for 45 long at 70 grams, and follow the 70 grams (1.57 grams inch) line on the chart to a 42.00 long club and we should end at 1.67 grams pr inch or 77 grams uncut shaft weight as 46.00 long for your new 5W. Then we have the "Constant weight" feeling, by making NET shaft weight the same. This difference of 7 grams shaft weight / 3 inch gives a progression ratio of 2.33 grams added shaft weight pr inch shorter.

If we want the same MOI value from each shaft, we have to go ASCENDING wgt with a slope steeper than to "constant weight woods", but the factor vary with shaft weight and play length, but for woods below 70 grams, use a progression ratio of 3.5 grams added shaft weight pr inch shorter, and for woods above 70 grams, use 4.0 grams as progression ratio. Compared to the "constant wgt woods" we can now choose 2.33 grams up pr inch, or 3.5-4.0 grams up pr inch.

In our example we got "constant wgt woods" by starting from a 77 grams blank for the 5W or plus (3 x 2.33) while for MOI we have (3.5 x 3 or 4.0 x 3) = 10.5 to 12 grams up from driver to 5W

HYBRIDS 80 - 110 grams use 5 grams added shaft weight to get shafts with the same MOI. (irons above 110 grams needs a progression of 6 grams pr inch like AMT)

NND9Q8VGFVZV.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TRUE TEMPER AMT SERIES

Since the tread is dedicated to shaft matching in general, both flex and weight, we cant finish up without some talk about True Tempers AMT series. Since AMT has progressive shaft weight, this shafts "moves" more in weight than normal when we hard or soft step them, but instead of seeing that as a "problem", see it as something that gives us options True Temper forgot to tell us about. Normally we can convert uncut shaft weight to "comparable shaft weight" by adding weight equal to 0.5" inch "lighter" for each Soft step, and 0.5" inch "up in weight" for each step when we hard step (see grams pr inch charts)

AMT is 3 series of shaft models, RED who is SEMI Ascending using COSNTANT wgt long irons, then Ascending wgt mid and short - RED is a "high launch" profile.

AMT Black is "MID weight and MID flight" and true Ascending all the way like White with 3 grams pr shaft or 6 grams pr inch.

AMT RED & BLACK SERIES

3QFN50UXKA4B.pngAMT WHITE SERIES.

Hard stepping "destroys" the AMT thinking very soon, while Soft stepping extend the weight progression into wedges so pay attention to how weight moves for each x we soft step. Normally we would not soft step a shaft 3 x but combined with "Tiger stepping" or 3/8" tip trim to adjust flex stronger we can stretch it to SS3 for weight reasons, while flex will be a little softer than SS2. Bare in mind that shafts thats lighter = thinner shaft walls = softer, so AMT is actually softer as they go longer compared to the original. Again a flex slope "personal" for the actual model.

82X11C5ASDNB.png

I have not been able to measure out AMT options to rate them "correct" by the FCM system and conversion options we have (see post #1), so this chart is based on "older ratings" for the classic DG for R, S and X flex, and the normal soft stepping rules. AMT MIGHT play a tad softer than the chart for some models because the AMT #6 iron is softer than the classic DG #6 iron, but the chart is only made to give the ball park withing half a flex to make it easier to see what options we actually have for AMT. Flex tuning by tip trim /Tiger stepping is NOT included in the chart,

1163QWJ09X5X.png

• Like 1

Good idea. but lets hope the servers on WRX is stable and good for a few more days until im happy with it.....You might have spotted the REAL reason for why im starting a tread like this, and does editing to older posts like my DIY Driver tune up?...Iwe been in "the making" of a book for years, but its always something forgotten, could have been formulated better etc....so its easier if i concentrate on "1 chapter at the time" and write for a wide but interested audience. Later this treads of good quality will be connected by a tread who works as a INDEX for each subject....

That means the "book" im writing want be on my own blog as the plan was, but a INDEX here on WRX with collections of "good treads" where im happy with whats delivered with education for the reader in mind. Those texts WILL be collected as PDF so the reader can down load all at one without the debate, but since it also links to the "original text", the option who bring that tread back to life and ask questions is possible. WRX Tech forum is the best plat form to reach out with Golf tech info, so why not take it to the max, and take advantage of the options it gives as a sum? this way i dont have to run my own blog and domain either, and its will always be available, also for the future and thats important for me.

One day i dont bother anymore, but what im writing about want go out of style for Club makers, and hobbyist club makers and thats the ones im writing for here. i try to do my best to clean up those many misunderstandings there is around different Golf club tech issues.

This "collection" that im doing is also educating for myself, i notice things i did not notice before what i did into my notes...its always been there, but i did not see it, so next post here i will add is about HOSEL SPECS and how we make 1 shaft to play as it did when we move it to a head with different hosel specs. Example the love for many, the old Original Grafalloy BLUE, played in a Bore Trough head design driver, and now we want to try the BLUE again, but in a modern Club head....We cant just relate on "todays tip trim instructions" when the shaft we deal with is from a different time where tip trim instructions was VERY different compared to now....

Il get back to that one, its a "baked in" part of how we deal with RIFLE FCM and KBS TOUR Parallels to make sure they play "dead on specs" (they hardly ever do, since Hosel specs vary, and PRE Cut shafts or Trim charts is based on a specific standard for Hosel specs...il tell you how to compensate both ways depending on what hosel specs you got, or "from hosel to Hosel"). Woods from driver via woods is part of that chapter.

So, when ALL is done, it will be "my complete book" for "How too" and how i mean we should do this , so SHAFT WEIGHT is one section - Flex match and Hosel Equalizing thats related to the flex question is another, FITTING (the existing DIY) is a third chapter, and i have tons of text collections to the building process itself from A-Z.....The works shop.....tools....yes is almost a book, when collected and "cleaned" and connected like planned, it will be, and free for all to use and share info from in non commercial cases. (no resale of text and info allowed, thats the only restriction)

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks this is some great stuff I do my own clubfitting and have been using the CPM charts from Hireko to hard and soft tip the cheap shafts I buy in order to get it where I want it for my swing which is between stiff and x.

As it is now the I understand the lighter weight for the same cpm's will results in a club that plays stiffer.

I have played X100's but recently have tried the Apollo 95' and now the FST 115's because I have already maxed out the tipping for the Apollo's and while I like the kick I see it does cause me to lose it more to the left that I want. I think I need around 310 cpm's per Hirekos chart(5 iron std.) for my irons and as far as the woods I am now trying to use the Apollow wood shaft to see if I can get it to feel right. I had TT lite's but I never like how they feel. I have already hard tipped the Apollo wood shaft to the max and according to my linearly interpolated estimate I'm about 273 compared to the standard stiff cpm of 259, but it still feels a little soft so I'm going to cut off an additional 1/2".

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want Descending wgt parallels to play stronger than max tip trim, we start with max tip trim, then we can hard step once or twice as we like to go beyond strongest tip trim option. (leaving butt cut as the last step we do.)

• 1 month later...

Hi Howard and others!

Howard's original post on this topic is simply marvelous. It has helped me understand so much. Thank you for that.

I do have a follow up question.

If I am building a set of clubs with descending weight parallel (.370) shafts and I know the slope of the shaft...would you recommend I tip the 6i to standard trim measurements and then adjust to the slope of the shafts from there. For example...Say I have a DG R300 .370 descending weight shaft. I would tip the 6i to recommended trim and then I would measure and trim so that the 7i is 4.5 CPM higher and so on and so forth. Is this correct? 

Another follow up. 

When you were measuring the CPM for the descending weight parallel shafts with a 6i head on and measured to D2 with a 50g split grip at standard length...Were most of the descending weight parallel shafts trimmed to the manufactures recommended tip trimming instructions? It seems like they were to make your chart as reliable as possible. Maybe I am incorrect which is awesome! I love to learn so any input would be wonderful!

Thanks!

• 9 months later...

This is such an important topic, thanks to the OP for putting in the time and effort.

I have been building clubs for many years, but never really dove into FCM numbers and what they mean. But I've been wondering (and this could be stupid or crazy, so excuse the newbie question), but:

*Has anyone ever tried to build a set of clubs that truly match CPM, driver to wedge?*

(Closest example of this would be Bryson playing his irons at fixed length/ head weight. Presumably flex matches exactly, along with weight, torque, FCM, CPM, etc, b/c they're all basically the same club.)

So say that number is 350 CPM, for argument's sake. Would it be possible to build a set that matches CPMs through the bag? Driver at 350, wedge at 350, etc?

Not only that, would it be possible to match overall club weight through all 14 clubs? (I'm not saying it would be desirable, but would it be possible?) Not swingweight (not a fan), but club weight.

Obviously the shorter irons would be softer flex and the longer clubs would be stiffer. But isn't this kind of what we see anyway? Tour shafts go from TX drivers to X irons to S+ wedges. What if it were just a smoother continuum? Aren't they kinda frequency/ weight matching their clubs now, ish?

I don't mind different length clubs. Don't need to go full Bryson. But I do notice that I have to adjust my swing for each club based on different stiffness, weight, flex point, etc, even though they all theoretically 'match.'

Thanks for any thoughts.

Humbly,

Rolf in MA

Edited by rbpwrx
clarity

Taylormade R7 Quad TP 8.5* w/ Aldila Rogue SIlver 125msi 70TX

Titleist 915Fd 13.5* w/ ACCRA FX 470 M5+

Titleist TS2 17* hybrid w/ Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 95X

Titleist U500 20° w/ MMT 125 TX (HSx1)

Cobra King Forged MB 4i-Pw w/ KBS C-Taper 130X

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 52/58 mid w/ Rifle Spinner 7.0
Bell 2Way Blade w/ Rifle 7.0 HSx5 + Flatcat Tak Svelte

9 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

*Has anyone ever tried to build a set of clubs that truly match CPM, driver to wedge?*

So say that number is 350 CPM, for argument's sake. Would it be possible to build a set that matches CPMs through the bag? Driver at 350, wedge at 350, etc?

you missed the point. We do NOT want the driver and wedge to have the same butt CPM, they should be 85 CPM apart if the driver is 45.00" and the LOB wedge is 35" ( 10 inches each of 8.5 CPM in the FCM system)

VQZDCMDEPITF.png

Edited by Howard_Jones

9 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

(Closest example of this would be Bryson playing his irons at fixed length/ head weight. Presumably flex matches exactly, along with weight, torque, FCM, CPM, etc, b/c they're all basically the same club.)

Not only that, would it be possible to match overall club weight through all 14 clubs? (I'm not saying it would be desirable, but would it be possible?) Not swingweight (not a fan), but club weight.

All this questions was really answered in the posts above.
TOTAL wgt progression is a personal fitting parameter who vary from player to player, so the average of 15 grams pr inch is only a average and guideline, its NOT what every player should use, so YES we can match all parameters, but each parameter has to be set right for the player, NOT for "the system".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rbpwrx said:

What do you think you'd gain by this?   Not a set that felt or performed the same through all the clubs.  

Matching butt frequency only "works" to give you a similar feel when using the exact same shaft model AND flex AND weight.   Even just changing playing length makes it questionable - hence the need for the shaft OEM's to develop the various flex slopes.   So once you change any of those (e.g. jump from an iron shaft to a hybrid or wood shaft), matching butt frequency would have no point and would be meaningless.

Edited by Stuart_G

On 5/11/2021 at 6:22 PM, James Fowd said:

Hi Howard and others!

Howard's original post on this topic is simply marvelous. It has helped me understand so much. Thank you for that.

I do have a follow up question.

If I am building a set of clubs with descending weight parallel (.370) shafts and I know the slope of the shaft...would you recommend I tip the 6i to standard trim measurements and then adjust to the slope of the shafts from there. For example...Say I have a DG R300 .370 descending weight shaft. I would tip the 6i to recommended trim and then I would measure and trim so that the 7i is 4.5 CPM higher and so on and so forth. Is this correct? 

Another follow up. 

When you were measuring the CPM for the descending weight parallel shafts with a 6i head on and measured to D2 with a 50g split grip at standard length...Were most of the descending weight parallel shafts trimmed to the manufactures recommended tip trimming instructions? It seems like they were to make your chart as reliable as possible. Maybe I am incorrect which is awesome! I love to learn so any input would be wonderful!

Thanks!

All shaft specs (compared) with different shaft models and flex slope, is ALL STANDARD...Standard tip trim, standard play length, standard SW value (D2 or D3), NO grips, all measured "play ready" (except for the missing grip), using a 5.0 clamp. Plain standard tip trim will give the flex slope we see, so unless we want a different slope and as example wants to tweak it against FLIGHTED (progressive less tip trim into the long, progressive more tip trim into the short, we just leave it as standard if thats what we want, of we can pick the #6 or #7 as Standard, and use custom tip trim for the rest (like 5/8" tip trim between clubs instead of 4/8") 

• 10 months later...

I hope this reaches howard.

I just managed to get my hands on a set of New (old stock I think) Rifle Precision Lite FCM 5.0 (blue sticker) Taper tip shafts 0.355. On the top of each shaft is a little white sticker Which states a cpm ranging from 228 - 229 cpm. 

My Clubs have a hosel  of 0.370. 

I looking at using your software (descending weight FCM) to build a set of MOI Matched irons as an experiment. 

1st Question After measure the tip section using a shaft tip measuring gauge I believe there is some tip for me to trim if required. To reach a certain FCM. 

2nd Question would you be able to tell me what the base FCM of the shafts from the following info.

club  length weight  tip length inch

3i     42 2/8     121g      8 3/8

4i     41 11/16   117.57    8

5i     41 1/8       117.33    7 3/8

6i     40 1/2       115.3     6 6/8

7i      40            113.75    6 3/8

8i      39 7/16     110.6     5 1/8

9i      38 7/8       112.43   5

pw    38 5/8       110.60    4 7/8

These shafts are un cut and the tips have not been prepared . Insert depth of my iron heads is 1 1/8 inch.

What effect on tip trimming and butt trimming effects the Cpm of these shafts. 

I'm looking at building a set of Moi Matched Clubs With an Fcm of 4.7.

Any help would be gratefully received. 

4 minutes ago, golfnut1300 said:

I hope this reaches howard.

I just managed to get my hands on a set of New (old stock I think) Rifle Precision Lite FCM 5.0 (blue sticker) Taper tip shafts 0.355. On the top of each shaft is a little white sticker Which states a cpm ranging from 228 - 229 cpm. 

My Clubs have a hosel  of 0.370. 

I looking at using your software (descending weight FCM) to build a set of MOI Matched irons as an experiment. 

1st Question After measure the tip section using a shaft tip measuring gauge I believe there is some tip for me to trim if required. To reach a certain FCM. 

2nd Question would you be able to tell me what the base FCM of the shafts from the following info.

These shafts are un cut and the tips have not been prepared . Insert depth of my iron heads is 1 1/8 inch.

What effect on tip trimming and butt trimming effects the Cpm of these shafts. 

I'm looking at building a set of Moi Matched Clubs With an Fcm of 4.7.

Any help would be gratefully received. 

Im not familiar with the LITE version, i never had any specs for them at all, so please send a mail to True Temper and simply ask if they have the same tip trim instructions as the standard FCM model. If the answer is yes, its strait forward, and i can do the numbers for you.

For the standard FCM model, we need the following specs
- Play lenght
- Hosel Total (BBGM + Insert)
- SW value (Moi is fine, but we need a base line from the club we duplicate MOI from)
- FCM blank (FCM 5.0 in your case)
- Blank flex (the white sticker you saw with 228-229 CPM, its measured with a 2.5 clamp and 255 gram tip wgt)
- FCM target
- Optional, is it a set with 4/8" or 3/8" between clubs?
- Optional, what flight pattern is wanted? Standard or Flighted? and where in the set do they change? (Flighted set has "1 standard" and longer irons with higher flight, shorter with lower, so we have to pick the iron where ball flight changes from standard)

On 1/12/2023 at 1:10 AM, Howard_Jones said:

Im not familiar with the LITE version, i never had any specs for them at all, so please send a mail to True Temper and simply ask if they have the same tip trim instructions as the standard FCM model. If the answer is yes, its strait forward, and i can do the numbers for you.

Howard i got a reply from TT and they said yes same tip trim as the standard FCM model.

On 1/12/2023 at 12:54 AM, golfnut1300 said:

Howard 

If i was to soft step these shafts would that make the base FCM 4.7.

With the above shaft specs is it possible to convert them to a flighted set. The 7i would be the standard flight.

19 hours ago, golfnut1300 said:

Howard i got a reply from TT and they said yes same tip trim as the standard FCM model.

Howard 

If i was to soft step these shafts would that make the base FCM 4.7.

With the above shaft specs is it possible to convert them to a flighted set. The 7i would be the standard flight.

The shaft set you have is PRE CUT to Rifles standard for hosel specs (butt cut only), so if you want me to do the numbers, you will have to deliver those specs im asking for above, i cant do anything without them. You will also have to tell what club numbers you will build.
Yes they can be soft stepped, both once or twice and they drop 0.4 for each step.

If this set can be modified to Flighted depends on the specs im asking for.
If MOI match by using the SW system is target (progressive SW value) i have to know what iron we shall duplicate resistance from.

Edited by Howard_Jones

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/10/2022 at 5:49 AM, Howard_Jones said:

you missed the point. We do NOT want the driver and wedge to have the same butt CPM, they should be 85 CPM apart if the driver is 45.00" and the LOB wedge is 35" ( 10 inches each of 8.5 CPM in the FCM system)

Howard, as you wrote " What do we try to match really? if its anything we try to "fix or match" its the shafts NATURAL slope, we should NEVER tune flex to please a chart on the wall, so "matching" is about to get the ORIGINAL FLEX SLOPE as "strait" as possible. That means if we want to judge each model correct, we need to start by making the slope and a chart for THAT model." 

So, I have a follow up question. I want to frequency match my Hickory set. Why shouldn't I try to aim for the similar butt CPM for all clubs 36"-39.5" (not the wooden club heads)? Since the the hickory wood has less torsional stiffness compared to modern clubs, the longer clubs tend to twist. In this case it is "just" about sanding to find the right CPM. Why do we really want a CPM difference between each club, just to harmonize the modern shaft properties for the whole set? For my hickory set, wouldn't it be better to have the same stiffness (CPM) for all clubs? Any thoughts?  

18 minutes ago, tbrorson said:

Why do we really want a CPM difference between each club, just to harmonize the modern shaft properties for the whole set? For my hickory set, wouldn't it be better to have the same stiffness (CPM) for all clubs? Any thoughts?  

I'll let Howard give the full answer - but the simple answer is that butt frequency is not an absolute representation of stiffness feel.   Same frequency or cpm does not mean the feel will be the same.   Usually that misconception shows up (in modern times) when trying to match the feel of shafts with different stiffness profiles or designs.  But additionally, there are also several reasons why the stiffness feel can change as the playing length changes - even if the stiffness profile of the shaft is unchanged.  The later is the reason that the various frequency slopes have been used over the years.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tbrorson said:

Howard, as you wrote " What do we try to match really? if its anything we try to "fix or match" its the shafts NATURAL slope, we should NEVER tune flex to please a chart on the wall, so "matching" is about to get the ORIGINAL FLEX SLOPE as "strait" as possible. That means if we want to judge each model correct, we need to start by making the slope and a chart for THAT model." 

So, I have a follow up question. I want to frequency match my Hickory set. Why shouldn't I try to aim for the similar butt CPM for all clubs 36"-39.5" (not the wooden club heads)? Since the the hickory wood has less torsional stiffness compared to modern clubs, the longer clubs tend to twist. In this case it is "just" about sanding to find the right CPM. Why do we really want a CPM difference between each club, just to harmonize the modern shaft properties for the whole set? For my hickory set, wouldn't it be better to have the same stiffness (CPM) for all clubs? Any thoughts?  

Let me turn it upside down.
- Why would you like to do that?
- What is the intention?

Hickory shafts and flex was judged by deflection, and still is.

• Like 1

Why I want to frequency match my Hickory set? I have the possibility, have raw shafts and need to sand then to "correct" flex. 

My idea was to have similar CPM for all clubs, to have less impact of the lower torsional stiffness (for hickory wood compared modern clubs) in the longer clubs.

Don't know if the feel (as Stuart wrote above) will be the what I expect, similar for all clubs. Of course, the properties of the wood, grain etc. varies.

Why use a deflection board when the frequency analyzer is a much more modern, faster and more accurate way to work.

Why do we want a certain CPM difference between each club, is it to harmonize the modern shaft properties for the whole set? Or, will it give a feel of similar flex?

2 hours ago, tbrorson said:

Why do we want a certain CPM difference between each club, is it to harmonize the modern shaft properties for the whole set? Or, will it give a feel of similar flex?

If you did read the main post, you would not ask, but each shaft model has a certain and "personal" slope for butt CPM and deflection due to its design. Flex matching is done to make them all play as they was designed to play, unless we alter it by purpose for feel of flight pattern. its like any other blueprint job, we eliminate tolerances from production. When done the shaft SET would be like it was intended to be from the designer of the shaft.

And YES FEEL is part of it.
I never worked with Hickory shafts, but those STEEL shafts i know has a butt CPM slope in a standard set that goes from 7.67 to 12.67 CPM pr inch, or 3.83 to 6.33 between clubs.

Some graphite models have a flatter slope than this, like the model i play with 3.23 between clubs or 6.46 per inch. (mine is altered to 4.75 CPM between clubs or 9.50 pr inch to make them flighted.)

Edited by Howard_Jones

5 minutes ago, Howard_Jones said:

If you did read the main post, you would not ask, but each shaft model has a certain and "personal" slope for butt CPM and deflection due to its design. Flex matching is done to make them all play as they was designed to play, unless we alter it by purpose for feel of flight pattern. its like any other blueprint job, we eliminate tolerances from production. When done the shaft SET would be like it was intended to be from the designer of the shaft.

Howard, I did read your entire post, severel times, learned a lot! Thanks for clarifying things!

But, there are no recommentations or limits for Hickory shafts. No rifle, constant weight, tipping etc, (only the butt can be cut). As you say, we frequency match the design (and limitations) of the modern shafts. I guess the aim for the high end shafts is to minimize the CPM between each club? That is my original thought. The question is very theretical, I doubt I can sand them so accurate that they will be matched, but I just want to understan what I should aim for. 4-5 CPM between each club or same CPM? Looking for recommendations.

1 hour ago, tbrorson said:

Howard, I did read your entire post, severel times, learned a lot! Thanks for clarifying things!

But, there are no recommentations or limits for Hickory shafts. No rifle, constant weight, tipping etc, (only the butt can be cut). As you say, we frequency match the design (and limitations) of the modern shafts. I guess the aim for the high end shafts is to minimize the CPM between each club? That is my original thought. The question is very theretical, I doubt I can sand them so accurate that they will be matched, but I just want to understan what I should aim for. 4-5 CPM between each club or same CPM? Looking for recommendations.

You should ask someone who does flex matching of hickory shafts.
Each set is judged by deflection (Goose to Falcon flex)
Each set has a slope for deflection from long to short
NOW the question is, what is the NATURAL CPM flex slope in a set like that?

https://thehickorygolfer.com/hickory-golf-shafts

Thats what we do with all the others, fine tune them to their designed nature.

This explains a bit about the history behind it all
In the 1920s, iron sets often has groups of clubs with the same length, it started with 2 groups, then 3, then we get to where we are now with individual specs club by club...
To start with, they used 2 different shafts due to this, then 3, then individual

Its all about feel of flex and compensation for added head wht.

https://archive.lib.msu.edu/tic/golfd/article/1966jun35.pdf

Braley SR, is the man behind the FCM flex system who uses butt CPM for judgement, and part of it is its flex slope. They claimed "most player" would feel a more equal flex club to club when the CPM clope was 8.6 CPM per inch or 4.3 CPM club to club.

The problem with that is when we work with other shaft models that DONT have that CPM slope as nature, we DESTROY the shaft design by altering it in that direction, unless we know what we are doing.

Here is the school example
The GREEN Horizontal line is FCM 6.0 CPM numbers
The BLUE line is RIfle Flighted
The YELLOW line is DG S400

45888265_RIFLEFCMvsFOOOREFCMCHART.JPG.16f38ef0e7bbd18558282259996e3209.JPG

If we try to make ALL shafts in a set of DG S400 to play to FCM 6.0, we would need 1/8" tip trim for each 1 CPM stronger or 0.1 FCM stronger

#3 iron would need 4/8 tip trim (about hard stepped 1x)
#4 iron would need 3/8 tip trim (close to hard stepped 1x)
#5 iron would need 2/8 tip trim (about HS 0.5)
...when we get to the #7, we need MORE tip length in direction of SOFT stepping, since we are up at FCM 6.4 with out #9, so we will have to use a #8 shaft to get there for the #9
...what a mess, who destroys the shafts natural design and flight pattern, and it will actually become semi descending weight too, since the right approach (for this flex slope target) would be a hard stepped #3 iron, and a soft stepped #9,,,the others altered BAD inbetween them

So, you might improve TQ as you go longer in hickory by using a flat slope flex, but you will pay on the feel and weight account.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Thanks 1