2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Elevate 95 vs Modus 3 tour 105

dayvei214

Hey guys wondering if you could help me out on this.

Currently playing Apex 19 with elevate 95 stiff shafts. I picked these up because i've always played xp95 and felt these were pretty similar. I've been hearing good things about the modus 3 and has always been at the back of mind to switch into them. I don't have swing data for you, but I generally carry 8 iron 145-150 / 7i 160 ish. Driver i can say I'm usually averaging around 98mph.

appreciate the help! reason why i'm asking is because i have an opportunity to do a set swap with the new shafts.

My buddy plays your irons with the same shaft and I play irons with modus 105 and we are always trying each others clubs. In my opinion which includes his opinions the modus 105 is a much stiffer shaft overall. My buddy hates the modus 105 he feels they are too stout for him and I feel his are too loose. If you are looking for more control then the modus 105 could be good for you, but it also depends how you load the club. I would say go hit both side to side easy to find those shafts in stock sets. We both hit about the same distances as you.

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

I would say dg105 is a much better comparison I also like that shaft it’s a lighter version of dynamic gold s300 so it’s still very stable. Nippon 105 feels different maybe slightly softer but it just could be the feel.

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Shot dispersion mostly. Granted I think it has a lot to do with my swing than the shaft. I tested amt black and shot dispersion was nice and tight. DG 105 were pretty good also. Had 980? Or 950gh in srixons and those were pretty good... But I ultimately went back to true temper because that's what I started with when I started playing with ap1

I understand you've got a swap chance, so are interested in those, but have you taken some punts on others to see?

I'm a light shaft guy too (play Ping CFSs in S55s right now) and find the C-Taper Lite 105s to be solid. I had some 950s in a set of... I've forgotten now and in a u45 driving iron and thought they were way too noodley.

You can usually find Callaways with PXi shafts too, which are their ~100g PX offering.

Good luck with the search :-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

This is a quote from a post by Howard Jones who is excellent around here with all his info, some food for thought on that topic:

"... Shafts choice is about WEIGHT, then FEEL and DISPERSION

Ball flight is a question of loft at impact, and there is a good reason for why there is bending machines out there, they was NOT made for lie angles only. Look at Tiger Woods, he plays DG X100, and LOW launch profile so we might think thats only natural, he wants low launch?

No he dont, he wants HIGH launch so he plays DG because Weight feel and dispersion is good for him, and then his lofts is set to 2 Weak to get higher ball flight.

Most players THINK their ball flight is to high, most of them has to low ball flight, and when someone is tracing a shaft, its most often for the reason they should leave to LOFT. Its actually close to impossible to find a shaft thats both is good on weight, feel, dispersion AND gives the wanted ball flight, thats looking for a unicorn, and the search for it is hopeless. ALL club heads is designed to be tweaked at least 2* both ways, and its a reason for that, so dont walk over the river if its water you want, a loft tweak is both fast, simple and cost nothing compared to a shaft change.

The only good reason to change shafts is if Weight, Feel or Dispersion is not like wanted, Ball flight is not on that list, its always been and always will be a LOFT issue, not a shaft issue.

Its Loft at impact that makes ball flight, so it does not matter how we get there, the consequences for everything is exactly the same.

We cant "cheat" with shafts because we worry about changing static lofts. Its the loft at IMPACT that matters, and we cant worry about how gapping will look on the paper with stronger or weaker lofts, its dispersion and gaps in play that matters, so if we tweak lofts 1* stronger, or find a shaft who reduce loft at impact by 1* EVERY aspect will be the same, there is no "magic" shafts who can overrule that, thats hunting the Unicorn, he dont exist."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Thanks for that. Makes sense. I ask because I saw this crazy shaft fitting from YouTube James Robinson golf. I guess I'll stick to what I have given i don't know how the modus feels, or how dispersion is... Wish I had the opportunity to have tried the shafts before. With all that is going on outside it's an impossible.

My advice, and something I've done several times now, is search eBay for a same head 6-7 iron with the shaft you are curious about. Try it out. If it works you have a new practice club, if it sucks put it back up for sale.

• Like 1

TM Stealth 10.5* -- Speeder Evo VII 569s

TM Stealth 16.5* -- GD AD-IZ 6s

Titleist T200 4 -- Accra 200H M4

Titleist T100S 5-GW -- Modus 120

TM MG3 52*, 56*TW, 60*TW -- KBS HiRev

Sik Jo C -- KBS CT Tour

Ya definitely not the best time to want to get some range time in to try the shafts. Like the chap above says, trolling eBay for cheap single irons to test out different shafts. I messed about for years before settling on the handful of shafts I know I like and enable me to put my best swing on.

I've been tempted by the Modus 105 and DG 105, but so far have resisted buying more stuff I'll likely just return :-)

F.T.

I have similar numbers as the poster, driver is 98-102mph. I carry the 8 iron 155 (with JPX900 HMs) but 150 with Apex CF16s. My previous set of irons was the Apex CF16s with XP95, stiff. But I switched the JPX900 HMs with Modus 105, stiffs. I could easily go back to the Apex CF16s with the XP95s. I could get a little hooky with the XP95s as I found that those shafts loaded and kicked hard in the tip. With Modus 105s, the tip does feel a little stiffer and the hooks are now replaced with pushes. But I’ll take the pushes over the hooks. Dispersion a bit tighter with Modus 105 but that could be a function of the different club heads. Both shafts feel smooth, both have similar feel in terms of weight. For me the Modus 105s can just handle a more aggressive transition. I didn’t find the transition between the two shafts to be difficult at all. Though I am happier with the Modus 105s over the XP95s.

IMHO if you are looking for a tighter dispersion, all things being equal, Modus 105s over XP95s.

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

thanks for that. I went out with both sets today. cf16 with xp95 reg flex and apex 19 elevate stiff flex. getting a few extra yardage with apex 19 but nothing to write home about. overall ball flights are about the same. dispersion was pretty good today so perhaps it's because of my ball strike. I still want to give the modus a try but not at the expense of spending 80-100 bucks on one iron.... The deal is no longer available so now im looking for some new irons to trade my cf16. what do you guys think about some ap2? how good do you need to be to play those?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m guessing CF16, CF19, and AP2 are pretty similar. I wouldn’t hesitate to play AP2s if I got fit for them.

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

• 4 weeks later...
@dayvei214 I am going through this same process. I had originally went into this thinking I would end up with the Modus 105/120 but nope - it will be the TT Elevate 95. I hit the Modus 3 Tour 105 and 120 vs the TT Elevate 95 and mtex22 is spot on with his description - the Modus is definitely a stiffer feel. That said, I have been playing the last two weeks with the Apex 19's (trial set of clubs) with the TT Elevate 95 in Stiff and have been hitting them laser straight. So, for my swing it is going to be the Elevate 95. I was wanting to like the Modus but it just wasn't meant to be. Only thing holding me back is that I do want to test the Nippon PRO 950G first. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the TT Elevate 95.

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

Thats how it is, but only "half the story", so let me add a few things here...

We often talk about feel, but what does it make of a difference? is it a "comfort" question? NO its not. The way a shaft feels for the player dictates how he will swing the club for the better or worse, so let me add a example. If the player tries 2 shafts, one that feels strong, and one that feels softer (compared to what he plays now), he want swing them the same. The shaft who feels strong will "push the player" to use more power from transition and down, and he often speeds up his tempo. The shaft that feels softer will slow him down, he will use less power and more "swing tech" to make it work. For some player stronger is good, for other softer is better, it all depends on where he is now, is his tempo and timing good and under control or not? That means some of us will benefit from a stronger feel, other a softer than what we play now. The feel parameter makes a direct influence on the next parameter, DISPERSION. If the the shaft feels to strong, dispersion will suffer since the player will use to much power, and sometimes "swing out of his shoes", and if its to soft, he will sometimes loose "dedication", tempo and timing, and by that both club speed, ball speed and distance.

So, dont underestimate the feel factor and what it does to the way you swing the clubs, but always start with WEIGHT. The clubs total weight is #2 in importance so dont put up options thats to far apart on weight, we have to dial in the right weight range as a start, and that also eliminates lots of options and make it easier to find the right shaft.

If you are insecure about what shaft weight thats good for you, read my DIY driver tune up and the chapter VISUAL FITTING where i explain how we can SEE if club specs is good or not by looking at the players swing. I explain what to look for, and tells about a simple tests to find the limits for Total weight. If you have a playing buddy with similar interest for equipment, you can help each other out by changing the roles, where one of you becomes the player, the other the club fitter and then you change. All you need to know to make it is described in this link, and its simple stuff that dont demand any advanced tools at all, ONLY some lead tape and someone who looks at the player to see how that changes the players swing for the better or worse.

The closer we get to our ideal, the more sensitive will the player be to changes, so even small numbers for added head or shaft weight matters and can make a huge difference for then players swing and his ability to make a good and consistent impact to the ball, and the same changes (head weight), might change the whole feel of the shaft since we will navigate the club different depending on what feed back the club gives on weight and balance. Put on the edge, you might think new shafts is needed, but it might be 3 grams added head weight thats needed to make it all feel just perfect, so dont give up on those shafts yet, try off what you find in this link, if it still dont feel right, you will know whats wrong and what to look for.

VISUAL FITTING is post #8 in this link, but read post #1 as a start, its written for drivers, but its the same for all clubs in the bag except the putter who has its own chapter in post #9https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/909991/diy-driver-tune-up-diy-fitting/p1

• Thanks 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

I could agree with that feel is big but I feel with my brain which is the issue... Lol I want the 105 to work and the more I work at then the better I'm hitting them but today was a shank fest it was awful even almost killed a mother goose! I felt so bad.... Maybe the 95 is where I need to be but the 105 is where I want to be. I'm the club fitters dream client cause I'll buy and buy and buy. I think i need to get to the course again with the Elevate and see how they work out might be the better bet for me.

Think of shafts as a timing device. Within reason, every shaft can provide a high to low launch and/or high to low spin. You're looking for the shaft that allows you to timing your impact most efficiently and consistently. When seeking to change launch characteristics (launch, peak height, spin, carry, etc.), go to the head. You may need a different head depending on how many of those characteristics you'd like to change, and different heads pair better with different shafts for different swings. If you have the right head, look into adjusting loft and/or lie to change ball flight. Loft to affect launch, spin, peak height, and/or carry. Then, lie to affect your start direction (and in some cases, your shot shape because you may be compensating for misfit lie angles in a way that's affecting your swing path).

So, find the shaft that you can time the best. That's why weight and feel/balance point/bend profile are so important. Not because of their direct effect on your launch numbers, but because of their effect on the timing of your swing and as a result, your strike consistency.

Modus 105s are somewhat polarizing for a lightweight shaft. I've had them for a while. They're smooth but stout - they can aid golfers dropping down from heavier shafts that still want stiffness or golfers already in lightweight shafts that want more firmness. The kick point is in the grip according to Nippon, and I think that's accurate. Dynamic Golds typically kick around the midpoint or lower. Those differences will have disparate timing effects on your swing.

• Like 1

Driver: nope

2W: TaylorMade Mini 300 (13.5*) - Ventus Blue 7x 

5W: Cobra SpeedZone (18*) - Ventus Blue 8x

4H: PING G410 (22*) - Tour AD-95x

5i-PW: Srixon zX5/7 - Project X LZ 6.5

GW: PING Glide 3.0 - Project X Rifle 6.5

SW: Vokey TVD-K Grind - Project X Rifle 6.5

LW: TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw LB - Project X Rifle 6.5

P: Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 (Crescent Neck)

• 6 months later...