So I’m going to HHI for a 3 day trip and looking to play golf two the days. I’m looking for recommendations on which courses are in good shape and are fun to play.

The only courses that off the table are Robert Trent Jones (closed on both days I’m going), Harbor town (not paying $300), and hilton head national (aerification). Looking at Palmetto Hall Cupp course, Oyster reef, and Old south.

Any other recommendations that I would not be disappointed with?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played both Old South & Oyster Reef a number of times, haven't played Palmetto Hall Cupp Course. Both Old South & Oyster Reef are fun to play, Old South has more of a public course feel while Oyster Reef feels a bit more resortish to me. Oyster Reef will be a bit more expensive, we usually play Old South for around $55 in February on our annual golf trip. Oyster Reef's website has $140 as their greens fee this time of year. Not sure how firm that is, will you be going with a group or as a single?

It's on the island where Old South is just off island, actually in Bluffton. The clubhouse, pro shop & restaurant are a little more like a resort course where Old South feels more like a really nice municipal course. Quality of the courses is similar, Oyster Reef probably a little better. The higher price at Oyster Reef is more indicative of it being on the island vs. off island than a huge difference in quality of the course. I think you get better golf for your $ off island than on. We always stay at Palmetto Dunes in February, they have really nice packages during the off season. We play the 3 courses at PD during our stay, but we always pick a course just off island (Old South, HH National, Crescent Point, etc) to play on our way in before we check in.

We just got back. Heron Point is in great shape. We played Robert Trent Jones and weren't impressed. They actually charged for range balls which to me is insane if you're paying for a round of golf thats over 100 dollars. We played Old South also and liked it. They're greens were a bit rough as they hadn't punched them at all this year. I would recommend both the sea pines courses as the best on the island. Harbour Town is shut down until end of June anyway.

Not sure why Old South is aerating so late. I played there at the beginning of May and asked about aeration since I was coming back in June and they weren't going to aerate until the second week in June. I've been playing that course for 20 years but in recent years the green quality has gotten real inconsistent. Last summer they were some of the worst greens I'd ever played. I thought last month they were okay but I could see them losing the greens again in the summer heat.

At HHI right now. Played Hills then Fazio then RTG @ Palmetto Dunes. Hill and Fazio are decent layouts but the greens are literally unplayable. Full shoulder turn required for a 10 ft putt. Soft as heck and you can see actual blades of grass on the greens.

RTG better layout and greens were just sanded and rolling great. Long story but paying for carts only but if I paid $100+ for Hills/Fazio I would be upset.

Net/Net, play RTG but not Hills or Fazio. Cant comment on others on the island as we have a package through Palmetto Dunes.

Oyster Reef one of my favorite HHI courses. Lots of sand traps. Twilight rate usually decent. Haven’t played Atlantic Dunes since the renovation, but when it was the Ocean course, another of my favorites. PD RTJ also very nice. Those are probably the 3 courses I’ve played the most on HHI. I’m not familiar with 2020 conditions.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

I really enjoy Arthur Hills and the condition I've usually found to be really good although I agree on the greens. The last few times I've played there they've been super slow; good condition and no issues with the roll just really slow compared to other courses. I don't know much about putting greens. Perhaps they need to be replaced to get to normal green speeds.

+! . I played Oyster at the end of April for $60 in the afternoon. It was a complete steal. They shut down the course a couple years ago for renovations and it's been in incredible shape the last couple times I've played. As far as premium public courses on island I'd put it as good as anything outside of Sea Pines. I really like RTJ's stretch of holes going out to the ocean and on the inland but the beginning and end are kind of bland. 18 is a really mediocre finishing hole in my opinion for a premium course.

Thanks for the info. I need to call around and verify the scheduled dates. I keep hearing a lot about how rough Old South can get in the summer. I hope they can keep it watered and in good shaped, it seems to be one of the most recommended for a true low country gold experience.

Is Heron Point much of a let down compared to Atlantic Dunes or Harbourtown?

Heron Point is a great course. Atlantic is a bit more expensive since it's been recently renovated but Heron definitely holds it's own. We were discussing our fall golf trip and I honestly prefer Heron or Atlantic to Harbour Town. They manicure them immaculately just like HT. Range facilities are much better there. Imo you spend 100-150 for the experience of playing where the pros play, which is fun occasionally but I do prefer the other courses.

Have played both HH National and Atlantic Dunes this week. Both in good shape. Aerated at HH National about three weeks ago, so the greens were a little sandy (but still playable). Spent a few minutes at the bag drop afterward talking to the employee there and he said the greens would be perfect in mid-July. Typically, Harbour Town is punched the last week in July—they even aerate the fairways then and close the entire golf course. Played Heron Point during that same week last summer and it was really good.