2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Lamkin crossline??? or any other low priced grips?

SHANKSTAR!

are these any good? help please :)
Hey guys.
looking at new grips...
are these any good:http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Lamkin_Coloured_Crossline_Golf_Grips.html
and what do you think of these? :http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Sharpro_Multicompound_Dual_Compound_Cord_Golf_Grips.html

are the sharpros any good?
thanks guys :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look for the michelin ocs tour by lamkin. Was not very popular, but good. They are difficult to keep straight when putting them on, as my clubbuilder has almost cussed me for getting them.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

[quote name='torrejuan' date='05 July 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1278355417' post='2555834']
Look for the [b]michelin ocs tour by lamkin[/b]. Was not very popular, but good. They are difficult to keep straight when putting them on, as my clubbuilder has almost cussed me for getting them.
[/quote]

My personal fave - great feel, traction & durability. Reportedly, the rubber compound & traction pattern were developed from Formula 1 racing.

They're getting harder to find, since Lamkin no longer makes them.

I'd advise against the colored Crosslines. I had the red ones and they didn't last as long as the whites or the blacks. I ended up scrubbing them every week and having a lot of pink towels by the time I cut them off and went to blacks for good.

Regular Crossline whites or blacks are a great grips. Cheap too.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

I had some red Crossline cords on an old set of irons and really liked them. I have not tried the non-cord version.

I recently put a set of the new GP Tour Wrap 2G grips on my clubs and was very impressed with them. I'm digging the shiny, patent leather look they have. They are on the soft side but are very tacky which is nice for my sweaty hands. Anyway, they are about the same price as the Crosslines so you may want to check them out if you don't mind a softer grip and the wrap style.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I like the Crosslines, very good value for their price. There might be better grips for sure, but they will cost at least twice as much.

Yamaha V202 Tour - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha v FW 14° - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha IFF 19° - Tour AD DI-7
Epon Personal 3-P - DG Pro
Yamaha Inpres X 52° 58° - DG Spinner
Golds Factory SUS 303 custom
WITB Link

I'll just add my vote of approval for Lamkin crosslines. I prefer them greatly over Golf Pride of any kind. The non-cords are great, the cords are even better. But for $2 or so, the non-cords are a bargain.

Another bargain -- Royal grips. They last at least as long as the Lamkins, maybe longer. Golf Prides of any variety I have tried get hard or slick relatively quickly.

[quote name='honketyhank' date='05 July 2010 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1278369771' post='2556201']
I'll just add my vote of approval for Lamkin crosslines. I prefer them greatly over Golf Pride of any kind. The non-cords are great, the cords are even better. But for $2 or so, the non-cords are a bargain.

Another bargain -- Royal grips. They last at least as long as the Lamkins, maybe longer. Golf Prides of any variety I have tried get hard or slick relatively quickly.
[/quote]
The crossline is a very good grip and I highly recommend. I have not used any Sharpro grips but have taken some off clubs. I am sure they are fine just lower priced than the multicompound from Golf Pride.

Ping G430 10K 10.5 GD Tour AD DI 6 X Stiff 
Ping G430 SFT 3 Wood Tour AD DI 7 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood Tour 75 Stiff
Ping i530 5-UW Nippon Modus 105S

Ping s159 50/S, 56/W, 60/S Nippon Modus 105S
35 1/2” Ping PLD Mundy 

Wilson Staff Tour Model X

[quote name='turnbowm' date='05 July 2010 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1278364637' post='2556054']
[quote name='torrejuan' date='05 July 2010 - 02:43 PM' timestamp='1278355417' post='2555834']
Look for the [b]michelin ocs tour by lamkin[/b]. Was not very popular, but good. They are difficult to keep straight when putting them on, as my clubbuilder has almost cussed me for getting them.
[/quote]

My personal fave - great feel, traction & durability. Reportedly, the rubber compound & traction pattern were developed from Formula 1 racing.

They're getting harder to find, since Lamkin no longer makes them.
[/quote]

These are also my favorite for traction and durability. I've been using them for almost two season now and it looks like I might get a third out of them. These grips have almost the tackiness of a GP TV with the durability and grip of a Crossline.:good:

Agree the Crossline is a good grip. I prefer the Crossline Tours as they are a tad softer but with just as much traction.

Great grips and IMHO blow the doors off a Tour Velvet.

Funny thing is the Crossline Tours are kinda under the radar. My local golf shop stocks the Crosslines, but not the Tour model. Last time I regripped I had the GM at my local course order some… when they came in, he and two of his staff were so impressed with them they ordered more for themselves. They had never seen them before.

I really like the tacki-mac itomics for a cheap grip. It's kind of an Iomic rip-off, but at a third of the price.

Cobra Orange Bio Cell 'ahina 70
Adams 3446-F 16* Diamana Redboard 73 (Tour issue)
Adams Super LS XTD Fairway 19* Matrix 7X3 White Tie (Tour issue)
Adams Super Hybrid XTD Ti 21* Fubuki Axe
Ping i20 5-UW KBS Tour
Callaway X-forged MD C-grind 53* and 58* KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Squareback w/ Salty Jumbo

[quote name='lasallen' date='05 July 2010 - 10:45 PM' timestamp='1278384333' post='2556683']
I got the black crossline and like them so far
[/quote]
I use to play Lamkin Crossline for a long time. They are very good grips. I now have the Lamkin Performance Plus 3Gen grips and they are awesome. They are tacky, feel great and are wearing really well. Lamkin's are much better than the Golf Pride's in my opinion.

Driver-Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3Wood -Cobra F8 Irons-Srixon ZX7 3-PW Wedges-Haywood Putter-Seemore M1W Ball-Snell MTBX, Vice Pro Plus

[quote name='Mike1' date='05 July 2010 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1278385481' post='2556708'] I now have the Lamkin Performance Plus 3Gen grips...
[/quote]
I am most curious about the PP 3G… as they have essentially replaced (due to their shock absorbing nature) the Sting Free Crossline Tours that are currently on my irons (great grips BTW).

My question is... how do you find the new profile? Closer to +1/32 0r +1/16? Is it proportional fatter than a standard grip or is it mostly fatter on one hand, and if so, which?

another big long time fan of Lamkin Crossline here

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ghost Tour Daytona 12 35´´[/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]SM 5 58°/8 PX 6.5 +1´´ 1° up
SM 5 52°/8 PX 6.5 +0.75´´ 1° strong 1°up
712 MB (3-PW) PX 7.0 +0.5´´ 2° strong 1° up[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]910 H 17° (A1) Speeder 904 X 40.25´´
913 FD 13.5° (D1) Diamana White D+ 82 X 43´´
910 D3 8.5° (D1) Pro Launch Red X 45´´[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist stand bag ultra lightweight, Titleist glooves, FootJoy shoes[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Lamkin Crossline Midsize for irons / wedges and Standard 58 for hybrid / woods[/font][/size]

I really like the compound they use for the Lamkin 85th Anniversary grip. I just install it with the logo/alignment markings down and out of sight. And they're only about $2.00 per grip. I don't know about longevity yet, but I will be regripping a full set with them in the next week...a full set that I hope will stay in the bag for the rest of the year.

I tried lamkin grips off all the opinions on this board a couple years ago. here is my .02

So i had the lamkin crossline tours on a set of clubs for over a year. I really liked them at first until I played in the heat of summer in the south. I felt like I couldnt get a good grip when i was really hot and sweating. I also had some of the crossline tour stingfrees just to see what all the talk was about. They seemed a little more tackier and softer that the regular crossline tours, I still use the stingfrees. i always thought the regular crosslines felt too rough. I never stuck any on clubs because i didnt think I would like them.

I've had the sharpro tour velvets on a set for over a year. $ for $ the best deal out there on grips in my opinion (I think they were less than $2/each. What I hate is they dont make their dualcompounds in a midsize grip. Yeah, I know you can build them up and all that but i prefer to just buy a midsize grip, put tape on and be done. I bought a couple of the dualcompounds to try and they feel really good. I have not noticed that the sharpros wear out any quicker than anything else I've used in the past.

Now, that being said about the Sharpro's. A friend borrowed my set of irons with the sharpros and felt like they tore his hands up. He thought they were really rough compared to golf prides (he likes the NDMC golf prides). I dont. Never had them bother me at all.

Of the lamkins mentioned in all the posts. The michelin OCS tours to me are the best. Especially for the price. I only bought a couple and have them on wedges. I like the feel and texture of the grip. I actually thought about buying some and putting them on my irons. I may do it, but have been looking at Winn grips this time around. I prefer a softer grip and to me the OCS tours are the softest lamkin of the ones I've tried.

Driver

4wd

Hybrid

4-A irons

50,54,58 wedges

Putter

I have been a long time Lamkin Crossline user and GPTVs before those. I recently tried the Tacki Mac Itomics and I love them. They are $3.40 at Golfworks but they are so sticky and still very firm, which I like. The GP Tour Wrap 2Gs are also very nice and sticky but they didn't hold up as well as the Itomics on a recent rainy day for me.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1278392124' post='2556879']
[quote name='Mike1' date='05 July 2010 - 08:04 PM' timestamp='1278385481' post='2556708'] I now have the Lamkin Performance Plus 3Gen grips...
[/quote]
I am most curious about the PP 3G… as they have essentially replaced (due to their shock absorbing nature) the Sting Free Crossline Tours that are currently on my irons (great grips BTW).

My question is... how do you find the new profile? Closer to +1/32 0r +1/16? Is it proportional fatter than a standard grip or is it mostly fatter on one hand, and if so, which?
[/quote]

I too would like to know...I just put them on my new irons, but I was too afraid to put an extra wrap because they are not tapered and thought it might be too much...How much difference will an extra wrap make with these?

Also another vote for Lamkin Crosslines...cheap, durable, grippy in almost any condition, nuff said.
Have them on all my irons and will probably re-grip my wedges with them as well.

Titleist TSi2 9* - Ventus Red TR

Callaway Rogue ST Max 18*

TM SIM2 Max 22*

Titleist T200 4-GW

Vokey SM9 54*/58*

Odyssey Stroke Lab DW

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1278392124' post='2556879']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am not sure of the exact specs but I have played the lamkins on my irons for a while and tried the 3G on my wedges. I thought I might have accidentally bought a midsize grip when I first put them on. The but end is significantly bigger than the crossline and there is very little taper. I thought they were even a little bigger than the tacki mac itomic which is bigger than a normal grip. Not sure if that helps.

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Titleist Ts2 20 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g KBS Tour 115
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB