Tour B330 or PRO V1x

goje22

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have on occasion seen a ProV1x spin back a bit but I don't impart enough spin for that to happen more than once in a great while with any ball. That said, I've played quite a few rounds with the B330 and that ball ain't gonna spin back for me, no sir never. So for a low clubhead speed player who comes into the ball flight, the B330 spins less. Would that hold up with a steeper attack on the ball and 20mph more clubhead speed? I don't know.

BTW, the current ball most like what you're asking about is the Nike 20XI-X.

I have tried both the B330 having been a ProV1x man for a while and have to say I'm impressed by them. Great flight off the tee with good performance throughout the bag.

In terms of spin I notice more of a hop and check with the proV1 x with my shorter irons but have to say the B330 was as good as the prov1 x around the greens with my wedges.

I am a big fan of the B330 but think I will be sticking with ProV1 x for its consistency tee to green.

Callaway FT-9 Tour Authentic Stiff 9.5*
Titleist 904F Stiff 15*/18*
Taylormade Burner Superfast Stiff 21*
Nike VR 4-P Dynamic Gold s300
Mizuno MP R Series 54*/58* S300
Taylormade Rossa Monte Carlo 7

[quote name='gussie' timestamp='1376982357' post='7710848']
Have used both balls
Big fan of b330
It's a great ball low spin off driver with straight flight
Definitly a hop and stop ball with irons plenty of stopping power with wedges
[b]Big bonus is cover is very durable in releation to pro v x[/b]
[/quote]

^This, especially the bolded line. I also found the b330 to spin more on greenside chips/pitches than the prov1x, and it definitely sounds better off the putter. prov1x sounds and feels hard. in windy conditions, no question, b330 ALL DAY. this is all just my opinion, of course. :)

note: the b330s works best for me overall.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='rehberg' timestamp='1377008117' post='7711940']
2013 ProV1 and ProV1x have the same short game spin. I even think ProV1x might spin a little more.

B330 is more consistent on driver and irons to me and is a lower spin option for guys who have plenty of wedge spin.
[/quote]

Because my contact is so inconsistent I've never been absolutely sure but it did seem the 2013 ProV1x has just a touch more wedge/short-iron spin than 2013 ProV1. So I think I do agree, to the extent I believe my own eyes. :swoon:

And I definitely agree the B330 is meant for guys with more than ample spin to burn.

[quote name='Willie Malay' timestamp='1376945342' post='7707400']
I've played the ProV1x for a few years. I tried the B330 and didn't like it but I like the B330S. Better spin off wedges.
[/quote]

The 330s has a softer feel, and still has low spin off irons and driver. I'd also suggest the 330-RX, which is basically the same ball as the 330s.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

The B330 (no -S, no -RX, no -RXS) is a firm ball that does not spin much. The B330-S and B330-RXS spin a good bit more and the -RXS is also somewhat softer.

The B330-RX is a much firmer cover ball that probably spins less than any of them, for most people.

Bridgestone bills them as B330 for high clubhead spin players who want less spin, B330-S for high clubhead speed players who want more spin, B330-RXS for low clubhead speed players who want more spin and B330-RX for low clubhead speed players who want hardly any spin at all.

B330 won't work for me with 95 driver ss. Feels like a rock.
Pro V1x feels great and works well. Just costs too much!

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I agree that the B330 feels/sounds hard but it flies just as far off my driver as a Pro V1, Pro V1x, B330-RXS or most other balls. Maybe a bit lower trajectory than some and it won't spin and grab as quickly as most "Tour" balls when it hits the green. But I swing a driver at 90mph and just can't detect any difference in distance for the B330 off the driver.

I have played both of these balls extensively over the last few years. The clear winner for me is the B330.

It is the best combination for me tee to green. I also like the Srixon XV but the Bridgestone is much softer off the putter and around the greens. The ProV1x is a fine ball, but since going to the Srixon and/or Bridgestone I haven't looked back because the improved trajectory and accuracy tee to green.

I have also played the B330s and it performed well. I am not sure if I prefer it to the B330, but the "S" did check up more around the greens.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

[quote name='boss playa' timestamp='1377144493' post='7723526']
b330 is firmer and harder to shape cut or draws etc. feels like a rock. try the srixon z star xv. better than both imo
[/quote]

Very surprised by this. I have compared this years B330 to the XV on countless occasions because these are really the only two balls I play. For me, the Bridgestone has much better feel. I would agree that older versions of the Bridgestone feel horrible. Maybe since you are an Aussie you have gotten to play the new VX with the "spin skin" more extensively and that ball feels better? I have never hit this version as it only became available a few weeks ago in the US. Anyway, the 2012-2013 Bridgestone is much softer for me than the 2012-2013 Srixon. Both excellent balls, however.

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

[quote name='goje22' timestamp='1376934477' post='7706250']
I am looking for a tour urethane cover golf ball that spins a little less on the greens than a regular PRO V1, but still has good short game bite. Just not spinning back 25 feet. I have narrowed it down to the V1x and tour B330. Anyone tried both? Any input?
[/quote]

Not real sure, but I think the pro v1X spends a little more than the reg. pro v1. Adam Scot and Jason Dufner use the pro v1 and I don't see them spinning it back 25 ft. You may want to check those grooves and make sure you are legal. I think a good ball fort you would be Srixon Z Star XV.

[quote name='bigbutch' timestamp='1377658771' post='7757075']
[quote name='goje22' timestamp='1376934477' post='7706250']
I am looking for a tour urethane cover golf ball that spins a little less on the greens than a regular PRO V1, but still has good short game bite. Just not spinning back 25 feet. I have narrowed it down to the V1x and tour B330. Anyone tried both? Any input?
[/quote]

Not real sure, but I think the pro v1X spends a little more than the reg. pro v1. Adam Scot and Jason Dufner use the pro v1 and I don't see them spinning it back 25 ft. You may want to check those grooves and make sure you are legal. I think a good ball fort you would be Srixon Z Star XV.
[/quote]

I've been working a bit with some of the B'stone reps and finally settled in on the B330-RX...and not b/c of swing speed...I'm a 110+ guy with the driver, but I got the best numbers with the RX and the S was a close second...if you are going to compare something to the V1x, I'd certainly give the RX a run...you might just surprise yourself and for my $$$ it lasts a bit longer too!

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1377663447' post='7757379']
[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1377221460' post='7728880']
[quote name='boss playa' timestamp='1377144493' post='7723526']
b330 is firmer and harder to shape cut or draws etc. feels like a rock. try the srixon z star xv. better than both imo
[/quote]

Very surprised by this. I have compared this years B330 to the XV on countless occasions because these are really the only two balls I play. For me, the Bridgestone has much better feel. I would agree that older versions of the Bridgestone feel horrible. Maybe since you are an Aussie you have gotten to play the new VX with the "spin skin" more extensively and that ball feels better? I have never hit this version as it only became available a few weeks ago in the US. Anyway, the 2012-2013 Bridgestone is much softer for me than the 2012-2013 Srixon. Both excellent balls, however.
[/quote]

The older iterations of the Bridgestone B330 were about 10-14 compression points higher than the 2012-2013 version. The reformulation this past time around was pretty drastic in terms of compression and also in our dimple pattern. I agree the old B330 really was quite hard, but that has since been fixed. The B330 and B330-S are very close in terms of compression (only five points separate them) but the biggest difference is the Urethane blend, which is much softer in the S.

About the Srixon, the "Brand New" XV has been described to me by those whom I have fit that play it as a much firmer feeling golf ball, and a step back for that line. Back when I was an Assistant Pro I absolutely loved the XV, but it was the prior version, so I only have hearsay to go on at this point.
[/quote]I like your posts very much and I am glad you have contributed to these ball threads.

I play the B330S and like the feel and the flight I get. The spin is very predictable and it works well for my game. I also like the feel and flight of the B330.

A couple years ago I tried the B330 and found it to be too hard for my liking. I also saw that my swing speed (generally about 102-104) was too low for the 330 and 330S as the 105 swing speed was listed as a cutoff. I tried the first version of the RXS and found it to be way too soft. Flew low and short, almost like a knuckle ball.

Then I saw the current model description and listing as being softer in the B330 and B330S. I figured if the ball is that much softer, it must fit into a slightly slower swing speed category, which would be me. When I went to get them, the clerks and even the Bridgestone guy at the Golf show was still committed to the 105 mph swing speed cutoff. I made my case that a softer ball could logically fit a slightly slower swing and I was willing to pay to find out. The clerks were somewhat annoyed I did not take their advice, but I found that both balls are delightful to play and provide a quality golf shot that is better for me than the ProV1 and the Z-Star. I also picked up the new version of the B330RXS and found it to be improved over the first iteration.

Please comment on why Bridgestone is sticking with the 105 mph swing speed as a cutoff when we are now looking at a different compression ball in the new 330 and 330S. I assume there are business reasons to keep it, but it no longer applies from a golf standpoint, imo. Perhaps the new cutoff would be close to the old one so it may be confusing to change, but there are some good players swinging at about 100 mph that could have a higher quality shot with the B330S than whatever they are currently playing and thereby enable Bridgestone to get the sales over Z-Star XV, Lethals, ProV1 and Nike. None of those competitive balls tell 100 mph swingers to stay clear off their high performance pro line ball.

Randomly played both this weekend (Pro V1x on Friday, B330 on Sunday). B330 spun a bit less off the tee, distance was similar. The big difference for me was iron spin and wedge play. The B330 was always a couple feet in front of its pitch mark, where the V1x was often behind it (which was why I was trying the B330). I preferred the B330, but the V1x is very predictable (which I can't say about the softer balls like the standard Pro V1 and the Srixon Z Star).

There was a flip-side, though. I had two wedge shots into short pins on the B330 day (both in the 70-80 range). My instinct was to throw them in low and past the pin and suck them back 10 feet. The B330 wouldn't come back for me--The V1x will.

The B330 didn't offend me around the green--which is probably a dumb way of saying that it generally did what I expected it to do. I can say the same thing about the V1x. Some of the older B330s felt more like an HX Hot around the green. This latest generation does not.

I find both the B330 and the 2013 V1x to be extremely durable compared to past generations. In the past I'd expect to go through 3-6 balls a round. I was able to play a single ball for both rounds--and I'm super picky. Truth be told, I could probably have played between 27-36 with either.

Not sure what I learned...I still have 7 dozen PRO V1xs in my locker (The V1xs this year are so much more durable that I've been through less than half the balls I went through last year), so those will be in the bag in the immediate future. I might actually start playing the B330 in the dog days of next summer, though, when spin conditions in Kansas City get to the point where I start pulling back 7 irons again.

FWIW--103-108 SS, 5.1 index.

After playing the B330 for most of the summer I picked up a dozen B330s balls for a trip to Pinehurst. I played #2 and it was firm and fast. The B330s was excellent. It checked up when I needed it too and gave me the kind of accuracy I have come to expect from either of the Bridgestone premium balls. Very very impressed with this ball.

Does anyone know if they plan to change them next year? I sure hope not.

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1378932421' post='7833919']
After playing the B330 for most of the summer I picked up a dozen B330s balls for a trip to Pinehurst. I played #2 and it was firm and fast. The B330s was excellent. It checked up when I needed it too and gave me the kind of accuracy I have come to expect from either of the Bridgestone premium balls. Very very impressed with this ball.

[/quote]

Yes they are. Two year cycle. Actually the 2012 ball is now on sale at most places. Great ball IMO.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

[quote name='buckI' timestamp='1378938517' post='7834443']
[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1378932421' post='7833919']

[/quote]

Yes they are. Two year cycle. Actually the 2012 ball is now on sale at most places. Great ball IMO.
[/quote]

Yes, I grabbed a bunch. I may need to grab some more. Love these balls so much.

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby