Pro V1 durability?

rwill522

I have just recently worked hard to get my handicap down to about 8. I plan on giving Pro V1's a shot for this season. How durable are these? I am not rich and really can't afford to continually shred balls and ruin them on well struck shots. It would kill me to have to pull a ball out because of durability issues. Thanks for your input and feedback.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a soft ball they are incredibly durable. As with most balls, hit a tree or a cart path and you are going to see some mark because of it. If you play at a course where you hit 8-10 full wedge shots a round, you may go through the top layer or paint a bit, but that is all

Titleist Trip - New Bedford

Titleist TSi3 8* with Tensei AV Raw White 65X
Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80X
Titleist 918H2 18* with Tensei CK White 90X
Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
Vokey sm9 54, 58 with Amt x100

Evnroll ER2

Tell me where to get these ProV's that you guys are playing, because the ones I use are not durable. I hit a few full wedge shots, and it's guaranteed to have "bite" marks in the ball. I still occasionally pick some of the ball's top layer out of my irons too. That has always been my biggest complaint about ProV's, it's sucky durability.

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

Tell me where to get these ProV's that you guys are playing, because the ones I use are not durable. I hit a few full wedge shots, and it's guaranteed to have "bite" marks in the ball. I still occasionally pick some of the ball's top layer out of my irons too. That has always been my biggest complaint about ProV's, it's sucky durability.

I agree.

My main ball is the Top Flite TL Tour and I cannot tell the difference between it and the 2007 Pro V1x. **If you can find the Top Flite TL Tour in stores than buy as many as you can, I currently have 9 dzn boxes**

I play the 2007 Pro V1x a lot right now because I have a couple dozen and there is no point in letting them sit around and trying to sell them on the internet for anything reasonable is impossible because then shipping screws you or the buyer over. But the Pro V1x has an excellent cover, nice and soft, true to putt, and most importantly for the budget golfer... DURABILITY!! It is extremely durable. The Pro V1 has proven over and over and over to be the most sought after ball in golf and the number one ball on every professional golf tour. The balls are expensive but if you are a decent player would does not play half his round from the hazards or the woods than the cost of the ball makes up for itself with how long it lasts.

I can play a Pro V1x at $6/ball for at least one full 18 holes... or I can play a ball that doesn't bite the greens, doesn't feel good, doesn't give me confidence for $2/ball. And the $2 ball is getting replaced every 3 or 4 holes because it gets scuffed so bad. I even played the Top Flite Gamer and ripped the cover to $|-|iT but the Pro V1x will hold up for me until I lose it or skip it off a couple cart paths.

People don't realize that if they aren't always losing balls than the Pro V1 is the better choice. They don't scuff as easy, they feel great, and they provide pin seeking confidence ;)

If people have the money to upgrade their equipment every year but complain about ball prices than maybe they should just rethink their spending habbits. Yeah, the equipment is new and shiny... oooo, ahhhh.. shiny... but big deal.. I can hit my TM 300 driver just as far (and more consistant) than my buddies $800.00 limited edition TM Superquad.. no joke, he hates me for it too.

But if I play an NXT Tour instead of a Pro V1 than my game gets horrible because I can no longer attack pins that I am use to and the ball doesn't feel as good as the Pro V. I am not trying to make you only play the Pro V1 because I don't even do that.. they are expensive and I have found a cheap alternative... but as far as durability..

I HAVE YET TO FIND A BALL MORE DURABLE THAN THE PRO V1x (I don't play the regular Pro V as I don't need the extra spin)

to me I am prepared to pay for these balls as they bring the best out in my game, still the best putting ball out there and that always fill's me with confidence on the greens

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Both Pro V models are great and if I had an endless supply of cash I would game the Pro V1. I'll simply use a brand new one every time I shredded one after a full wedge shot. In reality I no longer play the Pro V1 or Pro V1X as I've found a better ball for the price and durability (Srixon Z-URS).

Must admit the new Callaway HX Tour ix golf ball could rival the top ball in golf ... time will tell.

Wade

Both Pro V models are great and if I had an endless supply of cash I would game the Pro V1. I'll simply use a brand new one every time I shredded one after a full wedge shot. In reality I no longer play the Pro V1 or Pro V1X as I've found a better ball for the price and durability (Srixon Z-URS).

Must admit the new Callaway HX Tour ix golf ball could rival the top ball in golf ... time will tell.

Wade

+1 on the iX remark. I used one yesterday, it still looked nice and clean after i tortured it. I still have 5 dozen ProV's to go through before I commit to buying another brand, but I am planning on switching to something more durable.

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

Wade

I could not agree with you more with the statement above.

There's a couple pics that Joe Kwok took comparing the durability of both balls in the thread below...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=140921

Another vote for the ZUR-S. The performance of the ProV1 is superb (definitely the best ball to putt with as someone mentioned) but I'm amazed that anyone can say that it is durable. Compared to the ZUR-S or to a lesser extent either of the Nike Ones, at the end of a round the ProV1 looks like it's been thrown in a wood chipper.

Maybe it is just different strokes for different folks....

• 4 weeks later...

I dont know how you guys can play a V1 for a whole round or more. One 20 yd nipped lob wedgs for me and the cover is shredded and i have to peel off streamers from it. The durability is shocking in my opinion (idealy id want a new one at least every other hole if i cud afford that) but what can you do? All tour calibre balls are the same i guess

Wade

+1 on the iX remark. I used one yesterday, it still looked nice and clean after i tortured it. I still have 5 dozen ProV's to go through before I commit to buying another brand, but I am planning on switching to something more durable.

Go through your 5 dozen ProV1's yet? hehe... just wondering if you have found a ball that has better durability than the Pro V1?

Wade

Go through your 5 dozen ProV1's yet? hehe... just wondering if you have found a ball that has better durability than the Pro V1?

I still feel that the iX is more durable than the ProV1x. I started to rotate them into my mix to start using them, but I still have a bunch of ProV's to use up, lol.

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black