Sky Caddie SG4 worth upgrading to SG5?

First I love the SG4. I have heard others say that some of the new ones are better but how? I have had no issues with the SG4 ever. Used it in 5 states for 2 years, flawless. I am considering the SG5 because I'm a whore. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 4. But if the color display is the only upgrade then I will probably stick with my SG4. I just got a cart clamp for it this spring also. Can anyone help with:

1) How is the SG5 better than the SG4 other than color?

2) Will the SG5 fit my SG4 cart clamp?

Thanks in advance

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about your second question, but the SG3 and 4 were just relabeled Magellan Explorer units with custom software. The Sg2.5 and SG5 use a totally different and the most accurate GPS chip out there. Here was the press release:

SkyGolf and u-blox bring TruePoint™ GPS technology to golfers worldwide

SkyCaddie<sup>®</sup> SG5 rangefinder Reston, Virginia – January 10, 2008 – SkyGolf, the developers of SkyCaddie, the #1 rangefinder in golf, and u-blox, the manufacturer of high performance consumer GPS receiver technology, announce the development of TruePoint™ precision GPS technology in an exclusive cooperation to provide unprecedented accuracy for golfers.

The SkyCaddie® SG5 rangefinder uses GPS to answer the oldest question in golf, “how far?”, without looking for markers or wasting time pacing off distances. It calculates distances automatically providing golfers with the information they need to play on more than 17,000 golf courses in more than 45 countries. The SkyCaddie is like having a professional caddie in the palm of your hand. SkyGolf’s patented IntelliGreen® technology also allows golfers to measure the full depth and shape of the green from any angle of approach and quickly calculate distances to up to 40 targets at a time, helping golfers gauge distances to hazards and choose the best club for their next shot.

At the heart of the SkyCaddie SG5’s rich functionality is a custom-engineered GPS receiver from Swiss GPS receiver IP manufacturer u-blox. A cooperative engineering effort between u-blox and SkyGolf resulted in the advanced positioning technology TruePoint™. In the SkyCaddie SG5, TruePoint™ provides positioning accurate to under a meter and an ultra-fast time to first fix in a small, easy to use, hand-held device with extremely low power requirements. This breakthrough technology provides dramatically more accurate position calculations than conventional GPS receivers used in consumer GPS devices designed for less demanding applications such as hiking, hunting, and boating. The positional jitter and drift, which are inherent to other GPS positioning products and processes, is virtually eliminated, resulting in reproducible accuracy exceptional in consumer GPS devices.

"We have always provided superior GPS positioning in all our products and constantly strive to continue improving our products beyond those available to consumers. We were looking for a high-precision, reliable GPS technology for our newest golf rangefinder products to provide users with all the enhancements technology could bring to their game. We chose u-blox for their high performance GPS engine and experience, and integrated u-blox specific receiver algorithms which culminated in TruePoint™ precision GPS. This new technology, when used in combination with our high-precision golf course maps, gives golfers yet another level of accuracy improvement they need to play smarter, faster and have more fun," said Richard Edmonson, CEO at SkyGolf.

The size of a mobile phone and weighing just at five ounces, the SkyCaddie SG5 is small enough to be worn on your belt like a cell phone and offers a wide variety of user-configurable options, intuitive menus and a rechargeable lithium battery for longer battery life.

"This innovative device is set to revolutionize golfing in the years to come," said Brad Sherrard, Vice President Sales at u-blox America, Inc. "The combination of SkyGolf’s IntelliGreen technology, which offers users an eagle’s view of the green and many intuitive functions, and u-blox' highly accurate and reliable GPS technology, with its exclusive TruePoint™ precision GPS technology enables the SG5 to calculate distances with unmatched precision. This makes the SG5 the perfect companion for amateur and professional golfers alike."

First I love the SG4. I have heard others say that some of the new ones are better but how? I have had no issues with the SG4 ever. Used it in 5 states for 2 years, flawless. I am considering the SG5 because I'm a whore. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 4. But if the color display is the only upgrade then I will probably stick with my SG4. I just got a cart clamp for it this spring also. Can anyone help with:

1) How is the SG5 better than the SG4 other than color?

2) Will the SG5 fit my SG4 cart clamp?

Thanks in advance

I had an SG3, fortunately it broke, fell out of cart, that was it. SG5 is worthy upgrade, IMO. Onyx color scheme easy to read in TX midday sun, I think way more accurate, acquires and holds signal flawlessly, more targets listed, "3D" graphics and larger screen better too. the uBlock software is far superior to the Magellan, so even 2.5 is a better unit. I get 12 to 14 hours of battery life per charge, lower as temp rises it seems.

Need to go to EB and get the SG5 mount, or might be able to locate just the SG5 clip, which also protected my unit from a cart fall without a scratch.

Being a 'ho myself, I just got Scout 1000 to shoot pins for $169 after rebate on Overstock.com. I think the SG5 is faster from fairway, but the ho in me had to have exact to pin for approaches, the SG5 is still nice to have for depth and shape of green, so know where to miss.

If you're a true 'ho, the SG5 is well worth the upgrade, just sell the SG4 on EB. Good luck.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

• 3 weeks later...

it's my understanding that the upgrade that's coming from skycaddie for 09 is already to go in the SG-5, but NOT in any of the other models.

You can take this for what it's worth, since I heard it from the rep, and well, reps are not exactly known for telling you all of the truth, but the upgrade for 09 is you'll no longer have to download courses. The 5, along with next year's models, will feature course recognition, so that the unit will know that you are standing on the first tee at Pine Trace, or Pebble, or where ever, without you having to do a thing, other then pay.

But, as I said, I haven't actually seen that anywhere officially.

I have the SG5 and I don't think it's worth upgrading from the SG4.

...although the "Black Onyx" theme is pretty sweet! :russian_roulette:

That Onyx theme is pretty hard to see out there. I found myself switching back the the normal theme.

SG5 is supposedly more accurate, but not worth $430 unless you can sell your SG4 for a nice price. It's not worth it for color, in fact you're better off with B/W out there.