To Join or Not To Join.......

OK, so couple options on the table in front of me....

1. Maintain Associate Membership at current club (Public track which used to be a TPC, but has lost that designation, still in good shape). Costs $299/year and gets me into all the club tourneys and such, gets me discounted greens fees ($38-$42 instead of $65-$70). Has been pretty good, but sucks paying that much still.

2. Join same club as a full member. Cost is $1,750/yr($150/mo) and includes unlimited greens fees (still pay for cart), access to all club tourneys, discount in the pro-shop. Course is 25 minutes from my house, 12 minutes from my office.

3. Join a NEW club which is private and is directly across the street from my house. Much tougher, tighter course, more expensive (Young Exec membership is $200/mo and includes access to unlimited green fees, unlimited range, access to the pool, the clubhouse and dining room, tennis courts, and fitness facilties.) It's not an easy walk in terms of layout, so walking isn't a great option, but it is doable. They are running a special now where theyll wave my joining fee of $1,000 and then give me the remainder of whatever month I join for free.

I know 3 looks like the obvious choice, but I think what I'm really curious about is what some of you guys pay for membership and whether or not $200/mo is a decent amount for a nice private course compared to some others. I've never considered joining a private club before, and like all the added amenities, but I'm really in this thing for the golf.

Young exec membership is good til I'm 40 btw....8 more years.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of the prices that are thrown about for US private memberships that sounds exceptionally reasonable and practically the same as it would be over here, especially so if it includes tennis/fitness etc.

What is there in terms of silly nickel and dime charges like monthly F&B etc?

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

[color=#282828]$200/month is a good deal if the course is in great condition and well kept, plus you also get access to all the extra amenities. I would check to see if they have any food/beverage minimums, as that's how they try to get you sometimes.[/color]

[color=#282828]Other than that, #3 is definitely the best of those options... as long as you can make good and frequent use of it. [/color]

If you truly love golf, do #3. Unless the membership is composed of a bunch of jerks, I really think your going to appreciate the amenities of going private (especially with it being across the street.) Plus, it sounds like you don't have a lot of risk if you decide this club isn't for you after a year.

Even tough you say it's a tough walk, I'd also check out and see if the course has some smaller "loops" that are a bit more walkable. One of the things I love about my course is that it has a couple really nice 3 and 4 hole loops that are great for practicing when the course isn't busy. Being right across the street, this would be an ideal way to practice after work.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I'm going strictly by two factors: having worked at top 50 private club(s) and been member at top public or semi private course. I'm not sure the toughness matters, but one thing to consider is if member at private may be able to reciprocate at other clubs....maybe. If you are not going to use the pool and all other things that you are surely paying for private, then don't do it. A good example is a great golf course and crappy food?! The public options means you are a member but others outside that scope may get a tee time before you....every time! I never really had the member feel at RTJ trail, but considering everywhere I went I could walk and green fees/range was covered it was all I needed. Last thing....seriously I have been on very nice courses....what matters most? Which course seems to have the best facilities....greens keeper....pro...people working there? I would start there....

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

$200.00 is a great price considering all you are getting, however with a club it's usually not the dues that get you it's the "extras" that sneak up on you. For instance a hamburger at my club is $8-9 but you end up paying around $15.00 with tip and service fee. Grab a few beers, treat a friend to lunch it all adds up, you just have to keep track.
I used to be a member at a club across town $125 all the range balls and carts I wanted, awesome clubhouse and pool everything you need. Neither my family or I used it very much. I have since moved to a private club closer to my house my family and myself use the club all the time. It is about 3X more expensive but is of far more value because we use it so much more.

In short the best club to join in the one that you will use the most.

well IMO scenario #1 & 2 entails whether the connections you have made at the former TPC are ones you want to maintain (men's club, tourneys, people you play with in general). #3 pushes towards decisions based on challenge of a new course, a better course? being right across the street is nice, but is that really that important? and if you don't know the demeanor of the membership (are there a bunch of Judge Smails wandering around the place?) or don't have any real connections (men's club, tourney, regular foursome you play with) is that ultimately going to be a negative?

$200!! Mine is $430/month plus $35 food, $165 range and handicap per year then its $20 for carts.

How long does the Jr excutive membership last? When that's done what will the price be?

I would go full private instead of what sounds like a semi. Rounds should have a better pace. Membership should be tighter and more fun and easier to get a game. I've met a lot of good people at my club.

I don't think either is a bad choice however.

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1442349240' post='12318186']
OK, so couple options on the table in front of me....

1. Maintain Associate Membership at current club (Public track which used to be a TPC, but has lost that designation, still in good shape). Costs $299/year and gets me into all the club tourneys and such, gets me discounted greens fees ($38-$42 instead of $65-$70). Has been pretty good, but sucks paying that much still.

2. Join same club as a full member. Cost is $1,750/yr($150/mo) and includes unlimited greens fees (still pay for cart), access to all club tourneys, discount in the pro-shop. Course is 25 minutes from my house, 12 minutes from my office.

3. Join a NEW club which is private and is directly across the street from my house. Much tougher, tighter course, more expensive (Young Exec membership is $200/mo and includes access to unlimited green fees, unlimited range, access to the pool, the clubhouse and dining room, tennis courts, and fitness facilties.) It's not an easy walk in terms of layout, so walking isn't a great option, but it is doable. They are running a special now where theyll wave my joining fee of $1,000 and then give me the remainder of whatever month I join for free.

I know 3 looks like the obvious choice, but I think what I'm really curious about is what some of you guys pay for membership and whether or not $200/mo is a decent amount for a nice private course compared to some others. I've never considered joining a private club before, and like all the added amenities, but I'm really in this thing for the golf.

Young exec membership is good til I'm 40 btw....8 more years.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.
[/quote]
In my opinion, if you like the current club that you are playing join it. $ 150/month is a deal in my opinion, in my area it would be $295/month at least. If the New club that is close to your home with the additional amenities is really nice and you like it, join it for the $200/month since you have 8 more years left at the young exec membership. Both clubs are a bargain at those prices ! Good Luck

Not to hijack, but I'm in the same boat and not sure what I'm going to do. Down in Palm Beach County (Florida), you can get great summer deals on the less luxurious clubs (about $1,200 for 6 summer months) but once winter hits, it closes up tighter than a snare drum.

Most of the clubs around me are $150,000+ initiation fee plus about $20k a year. These are luxury clubs with all the amenities and each have several tour pros as members.

Those are way out of my range, however, there is a club about 25 min from me across the county line which is much cheaper cause they don't have all the crazy amenities and aren't considered super luxurious. It's still a great private course that gets virtually no play in the afternoons, don't have tee times and have a great staff.

If you are under 50, there is no initiation fee and you pay $5,000 for the year plus $25 cart fee per use. Then there is a $600 yearly food that's mandatory. That is about as cheap as you can find down here for private. And once you go private, you'll hate going back. But like everything else in life, it's about what you can afford for discretionary spending.

I'm really debating this. I've always been a summer guy down here and rarely play in the winter to save some money. But I got my cap down to 7 and just love watching my game improve. Hate to stop playing next month but $5,600 for 12 months is more than my 6 rainy summer months for only $1,200 that I'm used to. Decisions decisions. First world problems I guess. :)

So all the above means I'd vote 3. I love private clubs and all what they offer. I really enjoy sub 2 hour rounds in the afternoons and the whole no tee time thing. Just a matter of what you can afford and only you really can answer that.

Thanks for all the input guys! I snuck out for an afternoon round and just barely got 18 in at club #1 as the sun was setting.

Im stuck on the decision bc #1 does have a number of my friends out there, I played league there this year, etc and its an option for weekday golf bc its relatively close to my office.

Club #2(option 3) is great for summer practice after work or weekend rounds it would save me almost an hour of commute time but like today there would have been no chance of me leaving work and getting 18 done in time. I do have a buddy who is a member at this club and he plays league and im assuming they have blitzes, etc. from what i gather there is no food minimum but there is a yearly men's association fee. I forget how much. Maybe $100 or so.

For an extra $50/mo i can upgrade the Jr Exec ONE membership which gets me clubcorp reciprocal at any club corp in the country , but I dont travel for work any more and im not sure its worth the $600/yr.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1442363248' post='12319360']
Thanks for all the input guys! I snuck out for an afternoon round and just barely got 18 in at club #1 as the sun was setting.

Im stuck on the decision bc #1 does have a number of my friends out there, I played league there this year, etc and its an option for weekday golf bc its relatively close to my office.

Club #2(option 3) is great for summer practice after work or weekend rounds it would save me almost an hour of commute time but like today there would have been no chance of me leaving work and getting 18 done in time. I do have a buddy who is a member at this club and he plays league and im assuming they have blitzes, etc. from what i gather there is no food minimum but there is a yearly men's association fee. I forget how much. Maybe $100 or so.

For an extra $50/mo i can upgrade the Jr Exec ONE membership which gets me clubcorp reciprocal at any club corp in the country , but I dont travel for work any more and im not sure its worth the $600/yr.
[/quote]

I'm curious at to why you think you would not be able to finish a round at Club #2 after work. Is the drive home that long? I know that one of the benefits I've found about going private is that pace of play on weekdays is crazy fast compared to public play, usually on the order of at least an hour if not more.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

If you enjoy playing at both courses equally, I would factor in two things; pace of play and usability. As others have mentioned, a weekend round at a private course versus public course may make all the difference between getting a round in during the weekend or not golfing at all. I would tend to sway towards whichever club you will get on more easily, whether that is closer to work or home. Also, it's nice getting to play a few holes even when you can't get a full round in, so the course close to home may be better. Either way, both options are great deals.

Sweet Baby Jesus! $200 a month!?!? I'd join that each day and twice on Sunday. I recently joined a club and I can tell you that $200 might cover my bag hold, food, and locker rental. Regardless, I haven't regretted joining a private club yet and have made some great contacts in the short time I have been a member. Also, I love that when I walk in people know who you are, no one bats an eye when you grab a cart just to go to the range, or when I leave my office at 4 and I'm out playing a quick 9 (or 18) by 4:30 and I'm getting 18 done in a 2 hr and 15 minute pace.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

Yea im really leaning hard towards joining the one near my house. The price is solid and I am probably overestimating how hard it would be to play after work like one of you said above. At the very least I could hit some balls probably.

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1442550510' post='12329702']
Yea im really leaning hard towards joining the one near my house. The price is solid and I am probably overestimating how hard it would be to play after work like one of you said above. At the very least I could hit some balls probably.
[/quote]

Once you join, you'll find that you are taking more advantage of the ease in just going down the street any time you want to get in 18, 9 , or even just hit balls. I wondered how mine would work out with my job and I found that often I may get out a little earlier than anticipated and I can get in a quick 18 as a single. Tonight I left my office at 5 and I got in a quick nine before dark. I can't think of any public course I could go do that at on a whim.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1442363248' post='12319360']

[/quote]

What club is this? I'm a member at Piedmont in Haymarket, VA

a wise man once told me that you don't join a club for the course, you join for the members... I don't care how cheap or expensive a club is, if you find out that the members there are not all that 'nice' then it's not going to be the club for you. But the caveat is, how do you know how the members are?

#3 looks like a great option and if you know others that belong there I would pick their brains. I have known a few people who have joined the nicest courses around yet leave because the membership is, 'eh'... same goes for the cheaper ones.

For me, full private for $50 more a month is worth it. I currently am a member of a club that has 2 courses, one public and one private. It would be nice if there was a designated eating and sitting area for members but they gave carte blanche to the restaurant owner and as of now it is a shared space. Which means the service suffers even more. Plus the practice facility is not the best. Rant over.

Anyway, the members are good people, the pro is awesome and the course is a nice course so I overlook the negative as much as I can because wherever I go there will be negatives. My only other options around me would be to pay $7k+ in initiation and $3000 more a year in dues... and for me, in Syracuse, NY, it is not going to happen.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

I say #3 because it sounds like the family can enjoy the club activities while Dad is smoking cigars and playing golf ;)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

go to the one that is the toughest and best well kept. it will make you into a better golfer also one that has groups you can get into. joining a club and finding a group is probably the best thing for your game.

9.5 R15
15* XHot Pro VTS silver
18* TM UDI
20* Adams A12 Pro GD UT95x
5-PW TM Rsi2 KBS tour
52/56/60 Sm5 Tour Chrome
Odyssey Protype #4 SS slim (2015) Ryder Cup USA
Camo Ping Hoofer

Doing the math, I see you are 32 years old. Married with kids? If so, #3 is the ONLY choice. Close to home. Can sneak out when you have a free moment. Mom and kids can grab lunch and lounge by the pool. Slam dunk. Game over.

I'm 42 married, no kids. I joined a private club 7 years ago. Best decision I ever made regarding golf. My wife didn't play at the time, she does now. We met so many friends there. We spend vacations with people we've met at the club. Actually I don't really remember what it was like before we joined. We have some snob members, but on the whole the membership is nice. Decent restaurant, pool, etc.

Go private and don't look back. Unless the course is jammed all the time, and the members are jerks, you'll never regret it! Plus you get to invite your buddies out to play as well. So it's not like you lose them either. Win, win, win!

Rick