College Golf

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freshman in high school? You've got plenty of time.

Alot of people refer golfers to the books "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" and "Fearless Golf." I read the first couple chapters of "Golf is not a Game of Perfect" at my course and thought it was alright.

I say play in as many tournaments as you can, eventually you'll get use to how it works in tournament golf so you'll have that experience. Plus it will help you build a resume you can show to colleges in the future.

I played 3 seasons of tournament golf and didn't compete at all this past season so I could re-build my game and gain confidence. While I got my game to a great level, I didn't have tournament play to show the coach of the school I go to now. He refused to even play a round of golf with me so I pretty much lost a whole season. I am a sophomore in college now, and I'm doing serious training in the gym to get ready for tournament play this summer (something I've never done before). I've got the confidence from this past season, knowing I can play real solid golf, to help springboard me as well.

Hi, i know this is kinda late but i was in a similar boat...I'm a sophmore in High School and when i was a freshman i was on the golf team. I was good, good enough to at least break 40 everytime but my head and emotions would get to me causing a 45, 43. I read "Golf is a game of perfect" by Bob Roetella. Im not going to say one thing helped me but i came to two conclusions which helped me win three tournaments at the end of the season. A) Everyone has a different mental state that works for them (i.e. Tiger is very serious/Rocco has fun B) Having a temper or giving doesnt help your scorecard....Eventually you just have to do it and for some people you have to hit rock bottom and for me it was after i shot a 89 in a tournament and i realized i was throwing away a chance for college golf. You still have a lot of time just keep working hard and try to play big tournaments. Hope this helps!

I am in college now, but I was in the same situation as the above poster. I played high school golf sophomore, junior and senior years of high school. I have the game to shoot high 30's, but in matches I would always shoot low to mid 40's. And it killed my chances of playing college golf. And honestly I regret it. And you know what it was? When I was over a shot I always seemed to think up every negative swing thought I could. My advice is get out there and have fun, imagine walking off the 18th green shoot 78. But stay focused at the same time, talk with your playing partners and then step inside the golf box when its time to hit your shot. Best of luck competing in high school and college. College golf is amazing so take the time now and get your game down. I'm basically telling you everything I wish I had done.

all i have to say is if u wanna be good u have to believe that you are and until you believe that ur better than everybody else you wont be.... the books those guys above talked about are awesome books and u should definitely read them... the other thing is apply to as many schools as you can, you never know who will offer you scholarships and where they are at, but as long as you apply nobody can tell you you didnt try.... just play alot of golf and work on that short game and before you know it you'll be shooting the good numbers... lol im a sophmore in college and i feel like i didnt apply to enough colleges, but am happy with where im at right now... and definitely wouldnt give it up for anything... college golf is an awesopme experience and if you get the opportunity dont hesitate, if its what you want to do and it sounds like it is... you still have 3 years ahead of you, thats a long time to get good and be ready to play college golf, just keep plugging along and before you know you'll find the weaknesses and strengths in your mental game and then you can improve them and just continue to get better... i started playing golf when i was in 8th grade and played four years in highschool and am now doing what i thought was only a dream when i started , but it was definitely worth it.... lol so just have fun trying to get better if you have fun it will definitely make it just a little bit easier

Zach

Pretty much all the above posts are what you got to do to get yourself seen. I play college golf at a small school in the Bay Area and its great!

NAIA colleges- Athletic scholarships are available

NCAA Division 3- No Athletic Scholarship

NCAA Division 2- Athletic Scholarships are available

NCAA division 1 - Atheltic Scholarships are available

Academic scholarships are all available for any school you may go to.

Important tip- Email coaches and send them your resume of tournaments. Most coaches will not recruit you not unless your a top 100 jr golfer in the nation.

Pretty much all the above posts are what you got to do to get yourself seen. I play college golf at a small school in the Bay Area and its great!

Important tip- Email coaches and send them your resume of tournaments. Most coaches will not recruit you not unless your a top 100 jr golfer in the nation.

Not to shoot down your entire post, but coaches really don't care about your ranking. They will love a top 50 Golfweek player, but they don't go looking for them - and they won't think any differently of a player ranked 200 than one ranked 60. The rankings are so situational... they look at resumes, grades, swing videos.

Pick up the PING College guide, it has almost every answer you could ask pertaining to collegiate golf.

I dont think there is really an age limit...?

Dont overlook Div 3 if your not 100% on top of your game. It's not glorifying by any stretch, but there are a lot of really solid div3 schools out there where you are able to compete against guys and have great facilities to work on your game, sort of being in between jobs or maybe your game is just not fully to where you want it to be yet but you still want to pursue it. Also if your a good player but like a smaller school, look at a div3 or small div2, more than likely you can step in and take a top 3 spot on the team and enjoy the smaller atmosphere. Div3 schools work their way around "No Athletic Scholarships" through foundations and such and if your a decent student they'll pile the scholarship your way to get you to play for them.

really, no age limit? Im 26 and have 1 semester on CC under my belt, but I'm going back next year and going to ETSU (assuming Im accepted) and I would love to play, just figured that I was too old. Im a 9 right now but over the summer I had it down to a 3

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

really, no age limit? Im 26 and have 1 semester on CC under my belt, but I'm going back next year and going to ETSU (assuming Im accepted) and I would love to play, just figured that I was too old. Im a 9 right now but over the summer I had it down to a 3

If you are talking about East Tennessee State, be forewarned that they pretty much take only foreigners. One of the two Americans on their team went to my high school and started out playing for an ACC team, so it's a tough place to play.

ETSU typically has a very good team, top 20. Since you are a 9 who was once a 3, you have no chance. Sorry. Div 1 does have age limits. Not sure the exact numbers off the top of my head though. There are some exceptions for people who have been in the military.

There are some jr colleges and small 4 year schools around the Johnson City area that you may be able to play for.

If you don't consistently shoot in the 60s then ETSU is a no go. Plus you have to be from europe! We (Gardner-Webb) used to be in their conference and they had the sweetest ride. It was a Mercedes Van that had all these TVs and stuff in it. ETSU has one of the best golf programs in the nation and they only keep about 6 kids on the roster. I am pretty sure they aren't interested in walk ons.

BTW - No age limit to start playing College Sports. There is, however, a limit on eligibility. You have 5 years from your first year of playing a sport. If you play your freshman year and quit, finish out school in 4 years and decide to go back for your masters or something a few years later you will not be eligible.

This actually came up with a buddy of mine who was a grad assistant for football. His team was on their 4th and last QB (first 3 were hurt). He played 3 yrs of QB (plus 1 red shirt year), but was on his 2nd year of coaching. They had no back-up so they actually check his status for eligibility if they needed him. Couldn't do it, obviously, b/c he was 6 years removed from his first year of eligibility.

cool to know that theres no age limit, and yeah, I guess playing at ETSU was pretty much wishful thinking lol, I know you've got to be REALLY good, like tour level.

Realistically Ill probably end up going to a CC to establish residency then transfer. Hopefully after a nice winter and super full of golf I'll be low enough to at least post competive scores for something on that level.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I'm still pretty certain that there is an age limit to play Division I sports. It may just have something to do with how long you have been out of high school as someone mentioned earlier. With military and former professionals in other sports (baseball) being the exceptions. I was going to call the NCAA Eligability office today, but they are closed until the 4th.

I'm still pretty certain that there is an age limit to play Division I sports. It may just have something to do with how long you have been out of high school as someone mentioned earlier. With military and former professionals in other sports (baseball) being the exceptions. I was going to call the NCAA Eligability office today, but they are closed until the 4th.

I've forgotten all of the rules now, but to play Division 1, unless there are extenuating circumstances, you have a set number of years to get your four years, in relation to what year you finished high school. Also, once you start college (I'm not sure if this extends to community college) you have 5 years to get your 4 in. Worst case scenario you can play a lower level though.

• 2 weeks later...

to play better play the percentages. where is the safest place on the green Or away from trouble and aim there, especially if you have more than a 9 iron in. try that and see how your scores do next time but stay disciplined and use your putting. if you can't putt then oh well go back to your original plan.

Not to shoot down your entire post, but coaches really don't care about your ranking. They will love a top 50 Golfweek player, but they don't go looking for them - and they won't think any differently of a player ranked 200 than one ranked 60. The rankings are so situational... they look at resumes, grades, swing videos.

Pick up the PING College guide, it has almost every answer you could ask pertaining to collegiate golf.

i'm a freshman in college and recently just made the golf team, and what you said about a coach not caring whether you are

a top 50 or top 200 player is something that i have noticed to be EXTREMELY true! my tryouts were held a day after i got back from a 2 week trip to canada and by that time i had pretty much given up on golf, i said i didnt want to play college golf. but when i went to the tryouts my coach came and played 2 holes with us and i ended up shooting a Word not allowed chapping 86. after the round he took me aside and said "what the hell happened?" and i said huh? so he tells me that he thought i had the most beautiful swing out of any of the kids there, and he wants me to come back the next day noT worried about what i'm gonna shoot because i already made the team. i proceeded to go out and shoot a 73 the next day and he said "i didnt have to see your scores to know your a good player, and neither did you..." now were working one on one twice a week and my/his goal is to get me to play for a 4-year college by the end of next year. so what you said about coaches not caring what your ranked is so so so true!!!

JUNIORS PLEASE READ THIS AND TAKE IT INTO CONSIDERATION! IT HAS SAVED MY GOLF CAREER AND NOW I'M BEING PAYED TO GO TO SCHOOL AS A RESULT :rolleyes: