TM P-790 vs TM UDI 4 iron replacement

Beastmode Broker ·  
Beastmode BrokerBeastmode Broker Canadian AF  6331WRX Points: 146Handicap: 4Members Posts: 6,331 Titanium Tees
looking to fill the 4 iron spot in my bag

did some research and looking at either the P-790 or the UDI (either the TP or the RSi version)

any advantage to have one over the other, everything equal as far as shafts go

I will use this club mostly from the tee, long par 3's, fairway finder on tight par 4's

I don't want it for super low shots, I still want some height w it, but lower than a hybrid provides

look forward to your feedback!

-BB
Posted:
Taylormade M1 440 9.5 | Kuro Kage DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15 | RIP Alpha B 70 X
Callaway XHP 20 | RIP Alpha 85 X
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW | TI DGX100 ssx1
Callaway MD3 RAW 52S / 56W | DGS300
Titleist Vokey SM6 RAW 58K | DGS400
Taylormade Milled Collection Mullen 35"

Comments

• CaseyDanCaseyDan  919WRX Points: 223Handicap: 10Members Posts: 919 Golden Tee
    I had the P790 for a month and sold them because I just didn't like the hallow feel I got from them. It wasn't much but I could tell. A week ago I got a UDI 3 and after 10 balls I asked myself "is this cheating?" Hit the next 10 and I'm in love. Yes, I know all the honeymoon talk but man have I been missing out the last 3 years. Strongly considering the 4 as well.

My vote is UDI but I know TM has a P790 UDI coming to I believe.

My 3 cents.
    Posted:
    2016 TaylorMade M2 w/ Ventus 6s
    In Search Off.........
    Titleist 818 H2 w/Atmos Blue
    Callaway Apex Pro Dots
    Titleist SM7 Raw 52/56*
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60*
    Cameron Del Mar
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Gtyler14Gtyler14 Va 688WRX Points: 67Handicap: +2.2Members Posts: 688 Golden Tee
    The TM udi is set to release from my understanding in 2 iron only about 17 degrees
    Posted:
    Tour issue M4 8.5 w/ Kuro Kage dual core 70TX tipped 1” 44”
    Tour issue M1 T3 14.3 Kuro Kage dual core 80TX tipped 1 42.5” or Diamana bf 80TX tipped 1
    Tour issue TM m1 3HL 17.8 fujikura p95x tipped 1 41.75”
    TM 790 UDI x100 39.75
    TM 750 tour Proto 4-pw tour issue x100
    TM MG AB 54 Tour issue x100
    TM MG AB 60 tour issue x100
    Nike method 001
    Scotty Cameron select Newport 2
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan  919WRX Points: 223Handicap: 10Members Posts: 919 Golden Tee
    bobcat wrote:

CaseyDan wrote:

I had the P790 for a month and sold them because I just didn't like the 'hollow' feel I got from them. It wasn't much but I could tell. A week ago I got a UDI 3 and after 10 balls I asked myself "is this cheating?" Hit the next 10 and I'm in love. Yes, I know all the honeymoon talk but man have I been missing out the last 3 years. Strongly considering the 4 as well.

I assume you realize that both the Tour Preferred UDI's and the RSI TP UDI's are also 'hollow technology' clubheads much like the 790's. The upcoming 790 UDI 2-iron you mentioned is a 'hollow technology' clubhead as well. That said, ALL the currently available clubs above feel very solid to me with C-Taper Lite 110 shafts!

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />

Yeah, I had a feeling that was the case after posting, but for some reason the UDI felt softer "less Hollow" IMO. They did have different shafts so that may be one reason. I think it may also be that the 790 set and I didn't get a long well may have also Been a reason for my preference of the UDI over the P790.
    Posted:
    2016 TaylorMade M2 w/ Ventus 6s
    In Search Off.........
    Titleist 818 H2 w/Atmos Blue
    Callaway Apex Pro Dots
    Titleist SM7 Raw 52/56*
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60*
    Cameron Del Mar
  • cavanaghcavanagh  641WRX Points: 94Handicap: 9.2Members Posts: 641 Golden Tee
    i have had the p790 and the Udi and also the L.i.f.t irons and have to say the UDI are the best have the 4 iron in play now and love the feeling from the face
    Posted:
    Callaway Great Big Bertha Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 75g

M3 3 Wood Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 75g

Callaway X2 Hot po 20 degree Hzrdus 85g Black
    P770 4-P Project X LZ 6.0

52, high toe

58 Hi Toe

Taylormade Spider Red 
    TP5 X

[twitter]
  • J13J13 Dad golf Maryland 16133WRX Points: 1,141Handicap: +1.6Members Posts: 16,133 Titanium Tees
    bobcat wrote:

CaseyDan wrote:

I had the P790 for a month and sold them because I just didn't like the 'hollow' feel I got from them. It wasn't much but I could tell. A week ago I got a UDI 3 and after 10 balls I asked myself "is this cheating?" Hit the next 10 and I'm in love. Yes, I know all the honeymoon talk but man have I been missing out the last 3 years. Strongly considering the 4 as well.

I assume you realize that both the Tour Preferred UDI's and the RSI TP UDI's are also 'hollow technology' clubheads much like the 790's. The upcoming 790 UDI 2-iron you mentioned is a 'hollow technology' clubhead as well. That said, ALL the currently available clubs above feel very solid to me with C-Taper Lite 110 shafts!

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />

But you can hotmelt the UDI image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> I added 5gs to mine and it's perfect
    Posted:
    Driver - Under construction
    Fairway wood - Under construction
    Irons - Under Construction
    Wedges - Under Construction
    Odyssey Versa 6
    Srixon Zstar XV

WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

Instagram-
    On -, @Jminis13

• chisagchisag Chicago Suburbs 3203WRX Points: 535Handicap: +0.3Members Posts: 3,203 Titanium Tees

looking to fill the 4 iron spot in my bag

did some research and looking at either the P-790 or the UDI (either the TP or the RSi version)

any advantage to have one over the other, everything equal as far as shafts go

I will use this club mostly from the tee, long par 3's, fairway finder on tight par 4's

I don't want it for super low shots, I still want some height w it, but lower than a hybrid provides

... I own both and you sound like you are describing the UDi. While the P790 4 iron is not super low, it has a mid launch that you can keep low or launch higher with a slight ball position adjustment. The UDi launches much higher with a thicker sole and more weight low. I loved the UDi until I started the P790 4 iron and I prefer the lower ball flight both off the tee and from the fairway laying up on par 5's. With a tee it is easy to launch the P790 high on par 3's. They are both very forgiving and it just depends on what you are looking for. I think if I played somewhere with little to no wind, I would still be using the UDI but since Chicago can be quite windy I prefer the P790.
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Tour Length ... Tensei Orange 65s
    Cobra F9 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s
    Cobra F8 18.5* ... Even Flow Blue 75s
    TaylorMade GAPR Mid ... KBS 80Hys
    TaylorMade UDi 18* TP 2 iron... Kuro Kage Black 90Hys
    4-pw TaylorMade P790/760 ... Steelfiber 95's/Recoil Prototype 95's
    SM6 52* F Grind /SM7 D Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
    Bobby Grace 6330 ... 33.5"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • youngun87youngun87  446WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 446 Greens
    Any idea if/when the p790 UDI will be released to retail?
    Posted:
    TM M1 Oban Kiyoshi
    TM AeroBurner 15* Diamana Kai'li
    TM AeroBurner 18* Diamana Kai'li
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4 Project X LZ
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey 50*, 56*, 60*
    Tour Rat Proto

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.