Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I'm not too sure what to think about the chop shot. it has never really worked for me that I can recall and was almost always the result of an error in technique rushing the swing and then decelerating to impact. It would seem that I invariably would end up with a low and hot shot or a complete misfire that went no where.

I can recall working on chips and pitches where I could take a fairly long swing with good acceleration through the ball that would land fairly softly as long as I followed through and released the club. That's a stark contrast to the results I would see with a chopping action and i would generally observe similar results from other players using that method.

As for favourite clubs, I've played a variety of lofts in my wedges over the years. Initially it was a 56° alone after a 46° PW. The I went with a 54/60 combo. Then came the 52/58 combo. The higher loft wedges could be problematic. Lots of potential for errors as I recall especially in low bounce versions. Something in the 52°-54° range seemed to offer me the best combination of versatility and results, but you weren't flopping up over a 20' pine tree and getting it to stop on the front of the green. Having said that, I do recall a year or so ago being stymied by a tree with only a 53° Tom Watson SS in the bag and managed to lay it wide open and get it up and over a maple and still hold the far side of the green.

In terms of shots, simplest is best I find so I opt for a couple of methods of wristless chips; one using a putting stroke with the toe down and a slightly closed face that yields a running shot. The other is what I call a Stricker-type pitch where I use a bit of turn and bring the club back and through with little in the way of wrist action. Those will land fairly soft. The running shot can be done with a variety of clubs depending upon the amount of run-out you want. The soft landing pitches are more typically done with a lofted wedge.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks for your tolerance, Spooky. Here's specifically why the face-on thing was mentioned. Face on reveals ball placement in the stance;: weight over one or both feet; amount (if any) of forward press at address/impact, any lateral sway, etc. Those are all biggies. But I might be able to spare you the extra effort through sharing. Thanks to another golfer I've checked with (you know who you are my friend)...who actually made this drill more of a habit for longer periods than me personally.

While one size doesn't fit all - you'd probably hear others who practice wedges off of boards and decking say things along these lines:

1. A more lofted wedge is typically used - maybe a 56* or even 60*. The goal is to accelerate through the strike and still manage to get a higher flight. Sounds like an impossibility given the bounce on the bottom of the club (we'll get to that in a minute).

2. Like you they often open up the face of the club in their initial grip, and also like you there's very much a goal of "picking it clean",

3. The clubface remains pointing skyward in your vids - just after impact. And with that, the handle moves around your left hip in the follow-through. Some call this "handle dragging" - some refer to it as "rounding the corner". I think you'd find that motion to be what others experience.

4. I believe the target for this drill might tend to be a little farther out typically - probably in the 20-40 yard range which would mean a little fuller swing. Not to get into the semantics of a chip shot versus pitch shot, but your trajectory with that club at that distance would be (IMO) perfectly fine. Your trajectory is very consistent which is a good thing!

Getting back to the "bounce" thing and seeming impossibility of hitting a higher longer shot with more lofted club off of boards/decking. IMHO it takes the following to pull it off.

There's a lot of different grinds on wedges out there with all levels of very little to lots of bounce.

Most wedges will let you open up the face in your grip (which you do). Depending on the grind and bounce the leading edge of the clubface will start to automatically "lift" a little at address when you do. But...that leading edge can make contact well below the equator of the ball. That edge by itself may not fully slip "under" the ball but its far enough below the equator that plenty of upward lift in trajectory still happens. The bounce is used to "skid" the clubhead through the strike which is why folks doing this drill often swing a longer targets... they're going for lots of acceleration.

For me personally (This may not work for you personally)...I set up with a little less forward press of the handle than for the lower/shorter chip shot. Like you I personally set the feet up to the left a bit and the clubface is a little right of the target. For me, I allow the trail elbow to be very slightly bent at setup. I swing the club back along the target line rather than swing it back up over my toe line. The toe of the club points to the sky going back through 9 o'clock and the face points to the sky just after impact - just like you do. At impact the handle and wrists are fully dumpling their angles and the butt end of the club is barely ahead of the ball or possibly even with it. But still, like you I'm picking it clean if possible and letting that handle swing around my left hip. So about the only difference in our two individual approaches is a little tweak to the trail (right) elbow, It's possible you set up with a little more forward press of the hand than me for this drill. You take it back over your toe line and for me it moves a little more back over the target line (more so than the toe line anyway). We both end up finishing the same (basically). It just so happens for me, I'd have a more lofted club and a little bigger swing but I "think" you and I are in the same general ball park FWIW.

The real test will be hearing if your next golf outing or two yield some nice little shots around the green with a great sense of control. It follows that anyone who can snag one off a wooden flat surface just might be comfortable hitting a routine golf shot out there since you've been tested by a drill that sounds simple but takes a little doing to get it right. Well done.

Thanks agin for the help and for taking the time that detailed response required. Depending on the shot I want to play I my play the ball a bit forward or back in the stance. I may keep more weight on the front foot or rear foot again depending on the shot I am trying to execute. But off the board I was more weight front foot and ball in the middle or just a tad forward. Here is a little more info/responses to your responses

1. My typical home course wedge set up is: 50/10, 54/14 and 58/9. The only "beater" wedge I had was the MP-32 PW so that's what I used on the board...lol. I love my gamers and was not going to subject one of them to this drill,,lol!

2. I wasn't too opened, just had the face opened just a bit sine the loft was lower than what I'd normally be using around the green.

3. I saw a vid recommending using more body and less arm/hand to increase chipping consistency, so I have been playing around with that motion.

4. I tend to have a totally different move if I am out further than green side. I go to more of a hinge and hold for 20-50yd stuff. Green side/fringe chipping is probably my biggest weakness in the game. So much so that if I can putt it I will. I'm MUCH more comfortable with a wedge if I am a little further away from the green.

I hope my next outing-tomorrow-has a few nice chips in the round! Thanks again.

All I can say is that my attempts at hitting flop shots were successful ....the shot flopped....i took the 60 out of the bag

and used it to adorn the " No CARTS BEYOND" sign in the grass off the patio.. I use the 52/56...they suit me better.

I have found that i play more bump and run around the green. I just feel I can control the distance better..Normally use an

8i for that. The 56 is normally the club for pitches inside 80 yrds.....I use The Peltz clock method and have three lengths

that I can be reasonably close to achieving...

I find it very telling that there is a "bounce " discussion taking place without it bouncing into unplayable territory ! Great work

grillers !

I carried a 60deg for a bit as well, and like you I too removed mine from regular rotation. Every now and then I play a course where I know it will be nice to have....I actually have a 64deg that playes the same role. The most lofted wedge I normally carry is a 58deg.

Actually the flop is one of my go-to shots around the green when the lie is bad. Deep rough, leaves, pine straw, sand, etc and it's one of the few shots I can consistently hit pretty well. For me it takes a lot of the guesswork out of a trouble shot 54deg or 58deg- depending on the bounce needed, have the face wide open, weight on the front foot and really take a good swipe at it. Once you get over the fear of the force of the swing not matching the distance the ball needs to travel it gets easier to pull off IMO.

Thanks for your tolerance, Spooky. Here's specifically why the face-on thing was mentioned. Face on reveals ball placement in the stance;: weight over one or both feet; amount (if any) of forward press at address/impact, any lateral sway, etc. Those are all biggies. But I might be able to spare you the extra effort through sharing. Thanks to another golfer I've checked with (you know who you are my friend)...who actually made this drill more of a habit for longer periods than me personally.

While one size doesn't fit all - you'd probably hear others who practice wedges off of boards and decking say things along these lines:

1. A more lofted wedge is typically used - maybe a 56* or even 60*. The goal is to accelerate through the strike and still manage to get a higher flight. Sounds like an impossibility given the bounce on the bottom of the club (we'll get to that in a minute).

2. Like you they often open up the face of the club in their initial grip, and also like you there's very much a goal of "picking it clean",

3. The clubface remains pointing skyward in your vids - just after impact. And with that, the handle moves around your left hip in the follow-through. Some call this "handle dragging" - some refer to it as "rounding the corner". I think you'd find that motion to be what others experience.

4. I believe the target for this drill might tend to be a little farther out typically - probably in the 20-40 yard range which would mean a little fuller swing. Not to get into the semantics of a chip shot versus pitch shot, but your trajectory with that club at that distance would be (IMO) perfectly fine. Your trajectory is very consistent which is a good thing!

Getting back to the "bounce" thing and seeming impossibility of hitting a higher longer shot with more lofted club off of boards/decking. IMHO it takes the following to pull it off.

There's a lot of different grinds on wedges out there with all levels of very little to lots of bounce.

Most wedges will let you open up the face in your grip (which you do). Depending on the grind and bounce the leading edge of the clubface will start to automatically "lift" a little at address when you do. But...that leading edge can make contact well below the equator of the ball. That edge by itself may not fully slip "under" the ball but its far enough below the equator that plenty of upward lift in trajectory still happens. The bounce is used to "skid" the clubhead through the strike which is why folks doing this drill often swing a longer targets... they're going for lots of acceleration.

For me personally (This may not work for you personally)...I set up with a little less forward press of the handle than for the lower/shorter chip shot. Like you I personally set the feet up to the left a bit and the clubface is a little right of the target. For me, I allow the trail elbow to be very slightly bent at setup. I swing the club back along the target line rather than swing it back up over my toe line. The toe of the club points to the sky going back through 9 o'clock and the face points to the sky just after impact - just like you do. At impact the handle and wrists are fully dumpling their angles and the butt end of the club is barely ahead of the ball or possibly even with it. But still, like you I'm picking it clean if possible and letting that handle swing around my left hip. So about the only difference in our two individual approaches is a little tweak to the trail (right) elbow, It's possible you set up with a little more forward press of the hand than me for this drill. You take it back over your toe line and for me it moves a little more back over the target line (more so than the toe line anyway). We both end up finishing the same (basically). It just so happens for me, I'd have a more lofted club and a little bigger swing but I "think" you and I are in the same general ball park FWIW.

The real test will be hearing if your next golf outing or two yield some nice little shots around the green with a great sense of control. It follows that anyone who can snag one off a wooden flat surface just might be comfortable hitting a routine golf shot out there since you've been tested by a drill that sounds simple but takes a little doing to get it right. Well done.

Thanks agin for the help and for taking the time that detailed response required. Depending on the shot I want to play I my play the ball a bit forward or back in the stance. I may keep more weight on the front foot or rear foot again depending on the shot I am trying to execute. But off the board I was more weight front foot and ball in the middle or just a tad forward. Here is a little more info/responses to your responses

1. My typical home course wedge set up is: 50/10, 54/14 and 58/9. The only "beater" wedge I had was the MP-32 PW so that's what I used on the board...lol. I love my gamers and was not going to subject one of them to this drill,,lol!

2. I wasn't too opened, just had the face opened just a bit sine the loft was lower than what I'd normally be using around the green.

3. I saw a vid recommending using more body and less arm/hand to increase chipping consistency, so I have been playing around with that motion.

4. I tend to have a totally different move if I am out further than green side. I go to more of a hinge and hold for 20-50yd stuff. Green side/fringe chipping is probably my biggest weakness in the game. So much so that if I can putt it I will. I'm MUCH more comfortable with a wedge if I am a little further away from the green.

I hope my next outing-tomorrow-has a few nice chips in the round! Thanks again.

All I can say is that my attempts at hitting flop shots were successful ....the shot flopped....i took the 60 out of the bag

and used it to adorn the " No CARTS BEYOND" sign in the grass off the patio.. I use the 52/56...they suit me better.

I have found that i play more bump and run around the green. I just feel I can control the distance better..Normally use an

8i for that. The 56 is normally the club for pitches inside 80 yrds.....I use The Peltz clock method and have three lengths

that I can be reasonably close to achieving...

I find it very telling that there is a "bounce " discussion taking place without it bouncing into unplayable territory ! Great work

grillers !

I carried a 60deg for a bit as well, and like you I too removed mine from regular rotation. Every now and then I play a course where I know it will be nice to have....I actually have a 64deg that playes the same role. The most lofted wedge I normally carry is a 58deg.

Actually the flop is one of my go-to shots around the green when the lie is bad. Deep rough, leaves, pine straw, sand, etc and it's one of the few shots I can consistently hit pretty well. For me it takes a lot of the guesswork out of a trouble shot 54deg or 58deg- depending on the bounce needed, have the face wide open, weight on the front foot and really take a good swipe at it. Once you get over the fear of the force of the swing not matching the distance the ball needs to travel it gets easier to pull off IMO.

Sure sounds like you've got a grasp on what you're doing with this stuff Spooky. Best to you on your upcoming round. Sonny Boy and I playing tomorrow. Would normally be happy to just play - accepting whatever good or bad comes from it. Then, work on things later.

Might allow myself some more time during this outing to incorporate what I'm being taught via little practice swings and such so as to avoid slipping into old habits. LMAO - and we all know how that works. Sometimes yes - sometimes not so much. Old habits die hard as they say but it will be fun to be aware of it and see how it goes.

I don't know why, but this is the first song that popped into my head while watching the pickin' and a grinnin'...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I don't know why, but this is the first song that popped into my head while watching the pickin' and a grinnin'...

[media=]

[/media]

Good song Sco! Now we gotta find Mister Sandman!

I did

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Played 9 today. Chipping was different but still inconsistent. Good chips were better, but I still thinned a few. Felt like I played better than I scored. Missed two short putts and had a chip hit the flagstick and bounce out. I do feel like I am making progress though.

Progress is good; no matter how big or small you feel like you're heading in the right direction.

Over time you build a block at a time and then you see those scores coming down.

I don't agree with a lot that Hank Haney says but I do agree with the 3 keys to lower scores that

he emphasizes.

1. Eliminate penalty shots...…...that's a biggie and often times means to play the shot that you feel

the most confident in; whether it's from the tee, a layup or an approach.

2. Eliminate 2 chips...……..while all of us want to get our chips close to the hole we have to at least

get them on the green and not have to chip a 2nd time, or more.

3. Eliminate 3 putts...…..that one is obvious.....we gotta lag them close.

All of these are so very obvious really but if we keep track each round of how many strokes we lose

due to these 3 things it can be quite a few.

Hank calls them the low hanging fruit and I agree. When we want to shoot lower scores the easiest

thing to do is grab the low hanging fruit first and then go after the rest.

I think this is really a mental thing. A kind of resolve when we are out there to focus focus and not

give away shots carelessly. Of course, we will continue to work on our swings and our technique

but we can train ourselves mentally right along side doing that.

No one is going to be perfect on these things but the focus should reduce their occurrence. The

easiest way to know is to keep track of these things for each round with the goal of bringing their

number down.

SLED Gemini

Played 9 today. Chipping was different but still inconsistent. Good chips were better, but I still thinned a few. Felt like I played better than I scored. Missed two short putts and had a chip hit the flagstick and bounce out. I do feel like I am making progress though.

Progress is good; no matter how big or small you feel like you're heading in the right direction.

Over time you build a block at a time and then you see those scores coming down.

I don't agree with a lot that Hank Haney says but I do agree with the 3 keys to lower scores that

he emphasizes.

1. Eliminate penalty shots...…...that's a biggie and often times means to play the shot that you feel

the most confident in; whether it's from the tee, a layup or an approach.

2. Eliminate 2 chips...……..while all of us want to get our chips close to the hole we have to at least

get them on the green and not have to chip a 2nd time, or more.

3. Eliminate 3 putts...…..that one is obvious.....we gotta lag them close.

All of these are so very obvious really but if we keep track each round of how many strokes we lose

due to these 3 things it can be quite a few.

Hank calls them the low hanging fruit and I agree. When we want to shoot lower scores the easiest

thing to do is grab the low hanging fruit first and then go after the rest.

I think this is really a mental thing. A kind of resolve when we are out there to focus focus and not

give away shots carelessly. Of course, we will continue to work on our swings and our technique

but we can train ourselves mentally right along side doing that.

No one is going to be perfect on these things but the focus should reduce their occurrence. The

easiest way to know is to keep track of these things for each round with the goal of bringing their

number down.

I hear you on those three points for sure. Today I had one penalty stroke- very good for me, one three putt- on nine I lagged a decent putt then missed a three footer... my chipping was a little better, but I still lost strokes in that area of the game. The triple bogey on the par 3 was the killer. My tee shot went right but I had a decent look for my second shot. In the trees off pine straw and just slid the wedge under it so now I’m still in a bad spot hitting three, wedge over the green, chip in and two putt. The 7 on the par 5 was unnecessary too, just a bad choice selecting clubs for my third shot. 205 out, that’s a 4i for me but I had to carry water so I choked down on a 3hybrid and flew the green into the woods behind.

But, I did strike the ball pretty well for me. I do feel like I had a couple of good swing feels that I can take to the next round and I feel like my good chips were better than usual but I need to be more consistent green side.

What do y’all do to practice at home? I have a few putting contraptions I use, I will continue to chip off a board, anything else y’all do to sharpen your skills at home?

Have a mat/net/mirrors I set up in the garage. One room has carpeting that comes close to green speeds.

But I have to say that putting, chipping, wedge play... I've not found a way at home to duplicated the great outdoors. You'd think with the indoor putting practice I've logged, I'd be the best putter in ten states. I'm not. Last year I disciplined myself to hit practice wedge shots from 50 - 120 yards, then go pitch and chip and lastly putt. Figured I could always work on putting at home.

The consequence is I can't read a putt to save my arse. If they're flat and there's no grain - I've got a fighting chance. How many putts though have zero break? How many are up or down hill? Up or down grain? LMAO - I'm all done with indoor putting work. The mat/net stuff - great for winter and rainy days so that won't be moth-balled. No more putting at home for this guy. I made a total mess of a good ball striking day out there. Six pars - no birds. Ball striking was fine other than one brain-dead penalty off the tee box. Putting was a disaster out there. If it broke to the left I saw it going right. Up and downhill rolls paralyzed me. Second round in a row where this happened and I've put in the reps (at home).

Good news - had a freak'n BLAST! 3 hours 15 minutes for three of us to play. Took 16 holes to catch up to the group ahead of us. Recent heat wave must have scared away the masses. Course was in good shape. We laughed out butts off. Each of us had a pretty nice day ball-striking wise. All of us made far too many bogeys or worse due to something in each of our games that was off. ....And we couldn't stop finding humor in it. We put fake names on the scorecard. Sonny wanted to be Koepka. His bud was Justin Rose. I was "Beef" Johnson. There's not much any of us have in common with our name sake on or off the course but it was fun to sort of go in character out there and act silly.

Golf is good. Putting is bad but golf is good!

Hard to argue with the big three on Hanks list. I let him down big-time on one of them.

Have a mat/net/mirrors I set up in the garage. One room has carpeting that comes close to green speeds.

But I have to say that putting, chipping, wedge play... I've not found a way at home to duplicated the great outdoors. You'd think with the indoor putting practice I've logged, I'd be the best putter in ten states. I'm not. Last year I disciplined myself to hit practice wedge shots from 50 - 120 yards, then go pitch and chip and lastly putt. Figured I could always work on putting at home.

The consequence is I can't read a putt to save my arse. If they're flat and there's no grain - I've got a fighting chance. How many putts though have zero break? How many are up or down hill? Up or down grain? LMAO - I'm all done with indoor putting work. The mat/net stuff - great for winter and rainy days so that won't be moth-balled. No more putting at home for this guy. I made a total mess of a good ball striking day out there. Six pars - no birds. Ball striking was fine other than one brain-dead penalty off the tee box. Putting was a disaster out there. If it broke to the left I saw it going right. Up and downhill rolls paralyzed me. Second round in a row where this happened and I've put in the reps (at home).

Good news - had a freak'n BLAST! 3 hours 15 minutes for three of us to play. Took 16 holes to catch up to the group ahead of us. Recent heat wave must have scared away the masses. Course was in good shape. We laughed out butts off. Each of us had a pretty nice day ball-striking wise. All of us made far too many bogeys or worse due to something in each of our games that was off. ....And we couldn't stop finding humor in it. We put fake names on the scorecard. Sonny wanted to be Koepka. His bud was Justin Rose. I was "Beef" Johnson. There's not much any of us have in common with our name sake on or off the course but it was fun to sort of go in character out there and act silly.

Golf is good. Putting is bad but golf is good!

Hard to argue with the big three on Hanks list. I let him down big-time on one of them.

Sounds like y’all had a great round!

I agree on the home putting practice, doesn’t translate totally to the course, but for me it helps with a consistent set up. Even the practice green at my home course doesn’t prepare you for the course greens.

I think a net set up with a mat would be ideal, #goals. But I also realize practicing at home won’t always translate to the course, but it’s better than watching the GC..lol.

Glad you had a great time Judge! I never thought about adopting an on course persona. Gotta think

about that one, lol. Don't know who I'd be...……..ah, I got it...……..Smiley Kaufman! Hehehe.

SLED Gemini

I'm sitting here in the truck eating a triple order of hash browns topped with country sausage gravy

from Waffle House. Totally disgusting and good!

SLED Gemini

I'm sitting here in the truck eating a triple order of hash browns topped with country sausage gravy

LOL - If I haven't hit a Waffle House in the last year then I go to one just for the experience of it. I like sitting at the counter and watching "Flo" yell the order to "Mel" from five feet away. Then the fun begins. Mel is smashing the hash browns down hard to brown them as he flips and chops eggs, Uses that paint brush to butter toast. Flo yells in two more and Mel repeats back her order.

Keep waiting to hear, "Mel, Kiss my grits!"

Gotta hit a WH soon. Been a while.

IHOP is IHOb???

Someone got a huge bonus for that one?

Ever hear an ad jingle and ask yourself, "Someone actually PAID for that?"

Ha! I like Mike! Don't have any of his pillows...…...Cobi buys the pillows and we have many.

And I like the jingle. I wish we had more jingles. I think they are more effective in getting ads

to stick in a person's brain.

Think about it...………...a lot of us still have jingles stuck in our heads from decades ago.

As far as paying for those jingles...……...I don't know what they cost. You and I....we'd just write

our own, lol. We no need no jingle writer.

SLED Gemini

That sounds awesome! I love WH. Conrad, I think we have a lot more in common than just a love of golf! Has there ever been a clubhouse grille meet up?

It gets brought up now and then but despite all the alpha males in here no one has grabbed the

bull horns and made it happen yet. Maybe you're the man to do it Spooky. We need a leader!

We just keep wandering aimlessly around.

A few of us have met and played but that's as far as it's gone thus far.

BTW, you and I aren't far apart. Maybe we can meet up in La Grange or somewhere...…...or if you

want to come play the Trail we can do that. I'll be retiring in about 3 months or so and will finally have

some time to play. I've only played a few courses in Georgia so far. One was in Mcdonough and the

others were up north in Rome and Calhoun.....oh and I played one down south of Macon once.

I've mostly played the Trail in the past 10 years or so because I live there and it's a good deal for

locals.

SLED Gemini

That sounds awesome! I love WH. Conrad, I think we have a lot more in common than just a love of golf! Has there ever been a clubhouse grille meet up?

It gets brought up now and then but despite all the alpha males in here no one has grabbed the

bull horns and made it happen yet. Maybe you're the man to do it Spooky. We need a leader!

BTW, you and I aren't far apart. Maybe we can meet up in La Grange or somewhere...…...or if you

want to come play the Trail we can do that. I'll be retiring in about 3 months or so and will finally have

some time to play. I've only played a few courses in Georgia so far. One was in Mcdonough and the

others were up north in Rome and Calhoun.....oh and I played one down south of Macon once.

I've mostly played the Trail in the past 10 years or so because I live there and it's a good deal for

locals.

I'd love to meet up and get a round in. That would be great. It's always nice to meet people in person that you "know" from the internet.

Part of it is folks being so spread out. Canada, Michigan, SC, NC, GA, PNW, Ohio... Down-Under. We have Grillesters who come and go participation-wise from many scattered parts of the world.

Maybe another part of it is the fact some disappear for weeks or months and then reappear for awhile. Hard to pin down their interest in a larger gathering when in reality they dabble in the Grille on an occasional basis at best.

But the notion has come up many times. Everyone has been so blatantly honest about their game I have serious doubts its about playing in front of each other. We've all waved the white flag on being known online as the world's greatest golfers. I think it's just a difficult thing to do on a larger scale of people and geography.

Dirty Myrtle does have winter time golf packages... just say'n.

locals.

I'd love to meet up and get a round in. That would be great. It's always nice to meet people in person that you "know" from the internet.

We can make it happen then. I live off I-85 south of Auburn so it would be easy for me to bebop

up I-85 into Georgia somewhere. I'm used to driving, lol.

SLED Gemini

Part of it is folks being so spread out. Canada, Michigan, SC, NC, GA, PNW, Ohio... Down-Under. We have Grillesters who come and go participation-wise from many scattered parts of the world.

Maybe another part of it is the fact some disappear for weeks or months and then reappear for awhile. Hard to pin down their interest in a larger gathering when in reality they dabble in the Grille on an occasional basis at best.

But the notion has come up many times. Everyone has been so blatantly honest about their game I have serious doubts its about playing in front of each other. We've all waved the white flag on being known online as the world's greatest golfers. I think it's just a difficult thing to do on a larger scale of people and geography.

Most anywhere is fine by me. We once talked about doing it in OHIO somewhere as it seems to

be a good compromise spot. Hey, I drove to the Kentucky to play with one mysterious Grillster and

ALL THE WAY out to the PNW to play with Scotee. Have clubs will travel.

SLED Gemini

Just so you don't feel lonely posting your swing Spooky; here's video of my disgusting off plane swing

from 2 years ago...….playing with that mysterious Grillster in Kentucky. You can tell from my body

language that the drive went somewhere I didn't want it to.

SLED Gemini

Myrtle would be nice.

locals.

I'd be down to meet up and get a round in for sure. It's always nice to spend time with like minded individuals.

I used to bend steel as hobby and there was a very active message board where guys discussed their efforts, posted vids, etc. One guy hosted an event at his house and a bunch of us traveled there to compete, etc and it was a fantastic time...mostly because we were all very similar and shared similar interests. I think a golf outing with this crew would be similar.?

As few or as many could result in a good time. Myrtle is a destination for sure...something to think about..?

Myrtle is fine with me. I hear the ads on the radio all the time. They very much cater to group outings

and are begging for golfers to come there.

SLED Gemini

Just so you don't feel lonely posting your swing Spooky; here's video of my disgusting off plane swing

from 2 years ago...….playing with that mysterious Grillster in Kentucky. You can tell from my body

language that the drive went somewhere I didn't want it to.

I think we all have drives that go somewhere we don't intend...lol. I need to get a full swing vid up too.

Myrtle would be nice.

locals.

I'd be down to meet up and get a round in for sure. It's always nice to spend time with like minded individuals.

I used to bend steel as hobby and there was a very active message board where guys discussed their efforts, posted vids, etc. One guy hosted an event at his house and a bunch of us traveled there to compete, etc and it was a fantastic time...mostly because we were all very similar and shared similar interests. I think a golf outing with this crew would be similar.?

As few or as many could result in a good time. Myrtle is a destination for sure...something to think about..?

It's an option but travel-wise is harder on others than Stu or maybe me (about 160 miles one way). The allure is there's 60-80 courses to pick from.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w8ep/myrtle-beach-golf-holiday-from-good-to-legendary

This is where I envisioned Fella and I smoking the tires on a golf cart. One seat lift - one screwdriver - one tweak to the governor - one zooming cart. If we get booted we'd still have 79 other courses to play.

The downsides I see to Myrtle are it's like any location - not a simple thing for most to get to. The other thing is it's a little tricky to time it financially.

Right now in the dead of summer with all the golfers there, golf is CHEAP. But hotels and rented homes cost an arm and a leg. Four months from now it's the other way around. One night's stay in $300/night joint costs $50. But the flip-flop in golf prices means a round of golf on a nice course is $40 today but in four months that same green fee will be $90. I don't know the 'trick' to it. Me and some buds have contacted those "travel agent" type companies in the past and let them find us the best deals and prolly came out of it without going broke. But we could leave in the morn and play that afternoon - play 36 the next day - play 18 the following morn and be home that night for dinner. If we didn't live within 4 hours of the place we wouldn't have been able to pull that one off.

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)