Deciding to play regular shafts

How, when and why did you folks decide to drop down in flex on your shafts? What did you switch from and to? What differences have you noticed in length, feel or control?

I recently decided to subject myself to a shaft fitting at the local shop. I told myself I would not be macho. I swung within myself at a speed where I knew I could control it because I didn't want to know what shafts I "could" hit, but which shafts I "should" hit.

with a 6 iron speed around 77-78, I came up with Dynamic Gold R300 as my optimal shaft on the Mizuno optimizer.

Does that sound about right?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have been playing stiff, I would think the R would help you. Swing speed is not the only consideration for flex, but at your swing speed I would agree with the optimizer.

I switched as my swing speed slowed & I wanted higher trajectories. I'm experimenting right now with going to graphite.

Ping G410+ 10.5
Ping G400SFT 3W, 5W 7W
Mavrik 6-GW
Cleveland CBX 52, Titliest SM8 57
Odyssey DoubleWide F LStrokelab

You can also experiment with "softer" stiffs, especially when coming from S300's, etc...I've finally given up on S300's and have ggod luck with Nippons and Hogan Apex 4's...

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

• 2 months later...

I find this an interesting topic. I'm 78 and certainly not a long hitter, and have always used regular shafts. I have tried senior shafts, but I have never hit the ball farther with them. I even tested them at a USGA super store with the same results. I would have thought the more flexible shafts would give me more distance, but until they do, I'll happily stay with my regulars.

Don McCobb

Even when I was playing in High School and after in some Tourneys I played Regular shafts and my irons were the best part of my game. As I got older I started using stiff shafts, tried this one and that one and never found the same feel through impact, so I said forget this! I went to the True Temper R300 Dynamic Gold HL and I get that same soft feel. I remember a few guys on Tour switching to Regular and their iron games improved. I left ego out a long time ago and what works, works.

Kevin
HULL17RW

• 3 months later...

The funny thing is there is a reason they are called "regular" because that is what regular people are supposed to play, when did everyone decide they needed stiff shafts....:rolleyes: Jack Niclaus, who was one of the longest hitters on tour in his prime played S flex shafts during his prime. He dedicates a chapter in Golf My Way to the subject, he swung over 120mph and played clubs with softer shafts than a lot of mid cappers you will see on the couse on Sunday morning.

I switched to regular shafts in most of my clubs several years ago, I hit the ball slightly higher with them, it keeps my tempo under control and my shots feel more solid. It is a myth that you will hit the ball farther because the shaft springs the ball forward from my understanding, but if your problem is elevating the ball properly you may find you carry the ball farther especially with the longer irons, you may get a higher launch and more spin. Ironically the only club in my bag that is stiff flex right now is my driver, it is the stock Ping shaft and it just feels right to me, I often find that I feel I have more control with a stiffer driver shaft and have better feel with regular in my irons, especially with steel shafts that are fairly low torque.

Like so many other threads the best advice is to get fit, don't go in with preconceived notions, don't let your ego take over etc. etc. What really made my mind up was after hitting some regualrs and finding that I hit them real well then playing with a guy who hit the ball way longer than me and noteing that he was playing stiffs when I assumed he played X's. I knew right then I should not be playing the same shaft as him.

The best advice is to play the lightest and most flexible shaft you can control.

Also remember one companies stiff may be another companies regular, not all shaft flexes are created equal. For example a Diamana White board stiff is going to play much different than a stock Callaway stiff flex. A Dynamic gold S300 will play much different than a Ping AWT stiff. You may find that a R300 will play closer to the AWT stiff etc. etc. Find what works for you not what someone else plays. Also consider the weight of the shaft, the flex point and tip stiffness, many of these factors are more important than the stated flex of the shaft.

For the record I am 45 years old, have been playing for 25 years and am a 6.5 handicap. I rarely look at stiff flex clubs any longer.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 1 month later...

Just turned 59 and started playing when I was 8. Have started to consider changing from stiff but had a fitting done at a Mizuno demo as I was considering changing from Titleist to Mizuno. While the Mizuno tech suggested a different length/lie than my current clubs, he did recommend DG300. Decided not to switch, so will continue and reconsider when I do buy new irons.

As far as distance, I've read/heard comments about gaining some distance with less flex, but most of my research and from the pro's and fitters I've talked wtih the shaft is more about ball flight and control.

• 5 months later...

I am (and always has been) a regular guy. Regular for me is DGR300 (or equivalent). I hit my sons blades (he is 20 and I´m 52) with DGS300 as well (or poorly) as i hit my own but like (or is used to) the feel of the softer shafts. Played graphite (85 g and pretty stiff) in my irons for a couple of years but went back to steel last season. I play to a handicap around 12 and hit my 5 iron about 150 meters.

I'm playing a set of Hogan Apex PC irons with the #3 Apex shaft (their version of the 'regular' or medium shaft). My first wife and best golfing buddy teamed up to surprise me with them at Christmas, 1985. For years I really didn't like them. I was playing Hogan Medallions with #5 Apex Pro shafts at the time--a heavier blade and an X-shaft. My buddy was always an innovator and early adoptor, so he decided to borrow a page from Nicklaus's book and get the PCs with the #3 shafts and D-0 swingweight. I tried and tried to learn to like them, but didn't. Since they were a gift from 2 people very important to me, I held on to them. In 1989, after fractured vertabra and other accumalated injuries, I had to give up the game altogether. After I retired in 2007, my wife convinced me that, since I had been working out, stretching, and doing a little yoga, and my back was better, that it was time to go to the range and try to hit a few balls. I pulled out various clubs, stuck them in a bag, and off we went--and no, I took neither set of Hogans.

After trying numerous sets of irons--old, new, and in-between, I pulled the Apex PC #3s out and tried them. They still weren't quite right, I had already added 1/4" wooden extensions, so I regripped them with Jumbo Tacki-Mack wraps (which by the way, I discovered were a lot more comfortable than the 'arthiritis' grips on the market). Determining that the swingweight wasn't right, I took the easy (and economical) way out and added a pre-cut lead strip, 2 swing-wgt ea. equiv., to each iron: AMAZING!!! Like all golfers I typically try/demo everything w/n reach, but nothing compares to the pure feel of those old PC #3s.

I have another set of Apex PCs w/#4 shafts that I picked up at a flea market, thinking that I must losing something by playing the #3s. I even set as a goal, working out and getting myself and my game back in shape to play the #4s the previous 3 summers. Why? Dunno, thought I was giving up/losing yardage of something. Then a few weeks ago was hitting short and mid-irons and found that I was hitting the 6-iron (w/#3 shaft) from 165 to 180 yards. I realized that, that's not too shabby for a 56-year-old with arthiritis and a broken back. That: I should be grateful to be playing at all and hitting it that well (amazing also how much better my accuracy is--don't see near as much timber and wildlife as I used to).

So, Yes, I will probably continue to try to hit stiffer shafts on the range from time-to-time, but when it's time to tee-it-up, I'll stick with the Apex 3s. However, whether it is due to the length of the clubs (in the woods) or the dynamics of the swing and wrist action (wedges) I do hit stiff shafts in woods and wedges (graphite or steel) when my arthritis is not bothering me.
Play Well Gang! Ol' Pard

• 3 months later...

How many of us would know what shafts we have without the shaft bands or stickers? I have been using "R" shafts for ever but do not put the shaft bands on when I install them.
At the moment I am using KBS Tour 90 R shafts in Miura PP 9003 irons........I was at the range a few days ago and was showing them to one of the young pros........he hits Clevelands with 7.0 Rifles.... so I told him mine were KBS Tour X....after he hit a bunch of balls with mine he commented how solid they felt and thought he might switch to KBS :rolleyes:

Blind testing is a wonderful thing!!!

Yonex Tri-G 10* driver
Yonex Ezone GT 15*  3  wood
Yonex Ezone GT 18*  5 wood
Yonex Ezone GT irons 4-AW
Miura Tour Black 54* SW
Miura Tour Black 60* LW
Miura KM007 Putter

Anyone considering "downgrading" to DGR300 or graphite shafts to get more launch & distance....you should give KBS Tour 90 in stiff a try.

I played DGR300 in my Nike Blades for years...until I hit the 40's...then that 3 and 4 iron trajectory started lowering drastically. I recently switched to the KBS Tour 90 in stiff....and couldn't be happier. They are both lighter (increases swing speed) and higher trajectory & higher spinning. It's nice to hit my long irons high again.

Your golf store should have an Adams CB2 demo, with a stock KBS Tour 90 shaft in it. Just do it.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

• 2 years later...

I got a chuckle out of the shaft band thing. I don't use them on my clubs either. Right now I am experimenting with soft tipping on the S300s which is what I have hit most of my life. A funny thing from the past came to me when reading this. Years ago when I played on some of the minis I did a psych out thing. I was hitting a set of old Spalding Elites with TT S 300s in them. I had found a roll of Spalding shaft bands marked "ladies" on them I put them on the shafts. You should have heard the muttering "that big guy is hitting ladies shafts" Psych out 101 funny

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 1 month later...

I changed from stiff to regular when I hit a demo club in R flex: it felt so easy to swing, so smooth. I auctioned an 6 iron in regular flex and compared it to my 6 iron in stiff flex (same brand, same model) and realized that 1. I gain a few yards 2. ball flight was even more consistent 3. trajectory was closer to what i am looking for 4. less vibrations in arm and back when not purely stroke.

• 1 month later...

I am 55 and switched to regular flex about 5 years ago. The advantage I found was the better feel and the fact that I didn't have to work so hard to get the clubs to perform. I don't hit as far as I used to but I'm scoring as well if not better than ever.

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver
Cobra Fly Z Faiway
TM Aero Burner Hybrid
TM RSi1 4-AW Irons
TM Tour Preferred ATV 56*
SC Fastback 1.5

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1289885680' post='2792672']
The funny thing is there is a reason they are called "regular" because that is what regular people are supposed to play, when did everyone decide they needed stiff shafts....:rolleyes: Jack Niclaus, who was one of the longest hitters on tour in his prime played S flex shafts during his prime. He dedicates a chapter in Golf My Way to the subject, he swung over 120mph and played clubs with softer shafts than a lot of mid cappers you will see on the couse on Sunday morning.

I switched to regular shafts in most of my clubs several years ago, I hit the ball slightly higher with them, it keeps my tempo under control and my shots feel more solid. It is a myth that you will hit the ball farther because the shaft springs the ball forward from my understanding, but if your problem is elevating the ball properly you may find you carry the ball farther especially with the longer irons, you may get a higher launch and more spin. Ironically the only club in my bag that is stiff flex right now is my driver, it is the stock Ping shaft and it just feels right to me, I often find that I feel I have more control with a stiffer driver shaft and have better feel with regular in my irons, especially with steel shafts that are fairly low torque.

Like so many other threads the best advice is to get fit, don't go in with preconceived notions, don't let your ego take over etc. etc. What really made my mind up was after hitting some regualrs and finding that I hit them real well then playing with a guy who hit the ball way longer than me and noteing that he was playing stiffs when I assumed he played X's. I knew right then I should not be playing the same shaft as him.

The best advice is to play the lightest and most flexible shaft you can control.

Also remember one companies stiff may be another companies regular, not all shaft flexes are created equal. For example a Diamana White board stiff is going to play much different than a stock Callaway stiff flex. A Dynamic gold S300 will play much different than a Ping AWT stiff. You may find that a R300 will play closer to the AWT stiff etc. etc. Find what works for you not what someone else plays. Also consider the weight of the shaft, the flex point and tip stiffness, many of these factors are more important than the stated flex of the shaft.

For the record I am 45 years old, have been playing for 25 years and am a 6.5 handicap. I rarely look at stiff flex clubs any longer.
[/quote][quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1289885680' post='2792672']

[/quote][quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1289885680' post='2792672']

[/quote]

Dlygrisse is appreciated, at least by me, and I am sure others, for his well seasoned and accomplished insight into the issues of shaft flex and who might, or might not benefit from the use of stiff shafts. Although I played stiff graphite irons, TM 320's, for over five years, and they were stiff flex, I am looking at all things regular these days.

I never had a problem with the irons, and to be truthful, I had forgotten they were stiff for most of the seven years I played them. As one fellow golfer said, "ah, the beauty of the placebo effect"

• 4 months later...

[color=#282828]Like several others here, I'm an AARP member too, 73, and I've just returned to golf after a 20+ year total hiatus. After a couple of days thrashing on the range, where I discovered my golf muscles are suffering from dementia, and the rest of me the stiffness of old age and inactivity, I knew at the very least I needed to replace my woods if I was going to play, persimmon is out. With that in mind, I drove 50 miles to the nearest golf shop with a computer, and got tested. The ***cough*** rust showed and I topped out at 80 mph, off 20 or so from the time I could play. The guy testing me said I should go to a senior shaft on my clubs. I tested a half dozen brands at the shop, all with soft senior shafts, narrowed it to two, but decided to sleep on it. And maybe do some more practicing in the meantime.[/color]

[color=#282828]So I did, and about week later drove over to my local golf course to see if they had the brands I was thinking of, and if they were available for testing. They did, but only had a regular shaft in one of the brands while the other was a senior shaft like I'd tested earlier. But I tested them again anyway, and, in truth, it didn't make much difference, I hit both much better than my earlier foray, and got similar shot paths and distances with each, although maybe the shot dispersion was tighter with the regular shaft and the height a bit higher with the senior. I suspect my swing speed was up maybe 5 mph from the previous test, I was hitting the ball at least 10 yards longer, as a few of the old swing thoughts have emerged from the dark recesses of my brain, and I've gained a bit of flexibility. I'm thinking I'll get a bit more swing speed as time passes although down from the speeds I had as a younger player. Technology is going to help though, lightweight graphite shafts and 3-4" of shaft length make a difference. So that's the direction I've gone too, the regular shaft, I don't need more height, and cherish accuracy. Really glad I've done it, today was a very good day at the range, the shot patterns of yesteryear are returning, albeit in their shortened form.[/color]

Always preferred regular shafts in my irons and hybrids.

Recently went from Reg to Stiff in my driver though (callaway razr fit xtreme-S from Callaway Hyper X in Reg) and have become much more consistent. I will say though I have a decent SS for my drives but everything else is around the op's speed(don't know why but I play my irons compact as hell so I guess I lose quite a bit of speed)

My swingspeed, at least according to a little radar gizmo, is in the ballpark for playing stiff shafts. But after a lot of trial and error, taking different sets in stiff and regular out to the course, I've settled on a set of R flex Mizunos as the irons that I like the best.

To get there, it did help me to watch a fair few of Mark Crossfield's videos ([url="https://www.youtube.com/user/4golfonline/search?query=shaft"]https://www.youtube.com/user/4golfonline/search?query=shaft[/url]) as he tests out various flex shafts on a launch monitor. I found those videos to be fairly convincing that even quite radical changes in shaft flex will change the feel of a club much more than it'll change your ballflight.

If you think a shaft is causing your ballflight to go too high or too low, then it would seem that bending the loft accordingly is an easy way to compensate. There didn't seem to be much support in Mark's videos for the idea that stiffer shafts reduce lateral dispersion. I think those videos helped me finally shake off the conviction that there was anything much for me to gain by playing [i]the correct flex[/i] regardless of whether that turns out to be R or S - which leaves me to choose the clubs that I subjectively happen to like the best. And they, coincidentally or not, just happen to be r-flex.

I can't overstate how much I like TT's XP105 with the regular flex. My AP2's came in today and I did a quick check at the range with a 6 iron. The ball flight, and feel, was exactly what I had hoped it would be, notably better (for me) than either the XP 95 or the DG, that I tested when selecting the irons. Titleist's charts on the performance of different shafts for metals, hybrids, and irons are right on the money. Relieved, and anxious to hit the range tomorrow through the weekend to go through the bag from top to bottom. Gotta figure out my distances with each club. Then it's time to get off the range and onto the course and learn how to play again.

• 11 months later...

Been hitting stiff shafts since 1969: (jack nick gold crowns, ping eye 2). Switched to register shafts at age 65. Swing speed with irons had dropped to 85. Only changed because they felt softer and easier to hit. Did not loose any accuracy. Handicap is dropping steadily. But I still prefer a stiff graphite shaft on my driver. Also, have to mention, 3,4,5 are hybrids. All clubs are D0 with matching moi. M

• 3 years later...

I am pretty sure I've never had anything but regular shafts in my irons, though I do have a couple of older sets which bear no indication; they could be ladies' shafts for all I know. I have in my possession two drivers with stiff shafts. One is a Mizuno TP15 with an S400 shaft, which I can't hit at all well, unlike the 3, 4 and 5 woods in the same range with regular shafts. The other is a TM R15 with a 75gr Aldila stiff shaft, which I can hit very well but don't like to use as it seems to me a bit like cheating. There's also a mystery persimmon driver I love dearly (stamped 'Golf Research' on the sole plate - anyone know anything about that?) which has no indication of shaft flex. I have a suspicion it is stiffer than regular, comparing to other steel-shafted drivers of equivalent length. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I liked it even more with a softer shaft, but I'm not going to mess with it.

I have absolutely no idea what my swing speed is either.

Play regular shafts, but wrap X100 shaft bands around them. That's what they do for all the Champions Tour guys.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.