Golfers in Austin, TX

epmonies

Neighbor said Greyrock greens are gone. Worst shape he's ever seen them in last week, I'm disappointed with what the city is not doing with that property. Should be half the price and build a culture similar to what it has at Muni/Keizer.

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1

• 2 weeks later...

Greyrock's greens were an embarrassment to golf a month ago. 3-6 greens are still awful. I can't believe they hosted a state tournament this week, UIL, the city and Greyrock management should have to answer questions.

I had high hopes when the city took over Greyrock, they have the land and money to do a "Winter Park" type facility. So far they have failed.

• Like 1

Ping PLD3
Pro v1

• 3 weeks later...

Played Bandit on Sunday, greens were in good shape. With the amount of rain and storms we've received this year, tough to be critical. Fairways were ok, lots of shaggy grass which beat no grass.

It had been a year since I'd been out there, one of the funnest golf layouts in the area. Keith Foster knows how to architect golf. Pretty refreshing for all the horrible layouts we have in this area.

• Like 1

Ping PLD3
Pro v1

Much like the last year. I felt like they rebounded for a bit there in March, but again there are several spots that are just unplayable. Overall though it’s a good time to play there.

WITB:

D - Titleist TSi2

3w - Titleist TSi2

3h - Titleist TSi2

4-9i - Titleist T100s

45*, 49*, 54*, 58* - Artisan Golf

P - Artisan Golf 0117

• 2 weeks later...

Coming off a weekend of Austin muni golf.....Mo Willy in decent shape, better than expected from the reports. Kizer fairways are immaculate, but their greens are horrific. Did not play Clay, but heard their greens are just as bad as Kizer.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

Been a while friends... Well, I broke from the mold and went to play Delaware Springs this past weekend. Fun little track and great bang for your buck with how well the greens are maintained. It's a trek but worth it if you have the time to spare.

Taylormade M3 9.5° Tour AD DI 6S
Taylormade M5 15° PF V2 6F4
Taylormade M3-r 17° PF V2 F4-S
Titleist 913h 21° Diamana S+ Blue 82HY
Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Titleist SM7 Raw 46°, 54°, 60° PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @J_Birdie said:

> Played Lions Sunday and the greens were smooth but slow. I heard they cut them for firecracker qualifier and were then a little faster. Probably still one of the better greens conditions I have ever played on an ATX muni.

That's good to hear. Kizer and Clay are a disgrace right now. They went from being decent with a few bare spots around May 20th, to borderline unplayable by June 10th. Which is all very interesting considering the rest of the course is in great shape.

> @cjblake09 said:

> So is Kizer and Clay really not worth playing right now? Headed down next week for work and looking to get some rounds in after i get off work.

I guess it depends on what your tolerance for poor greens? A lot of bare spots, the grass that remains is clumpy, and they mow infrequently. I've certainly played on worse, but they are not good. I was recently at Grey Rock, which isn't too much further from downtown and the practice green is near perfect there. So that's another reasonable option.

> @J_Birdie said:

> I’m in Austin right now and Kizer Clay greens are trash.

At the risk of sounding pretentious, this is precisely why I can’t stand to play these munis anymore. Not to mention the minimum 5 hour round... ?

I mean I don’t expect the greens to be perfect but what’s the point if you literally can’t putt on them?

Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Hey guys (and gals?). I'm visiting Austin from Chicago around mid-July and could use some recommendations for area courses to fit in a couple of weekday rounds.

Some parameters:

* I'll probably be staying somewhere around the Austin Convention Center. I'll rent a car, and although I'm willing to drive for a great course, I'd prefer to find good options within about 30 minutes.

* Looking for fun 18-hole layouts (where you have to shape the ball a little, not back & forth parallel holes), great conditioning, decent pace of play, and good value (would prefer to stay under $100 BUT willing to pay more if the course is really worth it).

* Not sure what the topography is in Austin, but I'd like to find courses with elevation changes from tee to green

* Likely playing days are Wed or Thur, but I might call an audible another day

As another option, if there are great private tracks that can be accessed through either Club Corp or Boxgroove, I've been looking for an excuse to join one of those.

TIA

Hey there - I'll throw out some of my favorites that match your criteria but I'm sure you'll get some input from the rest of the guys here. I think many of the muni greens in town are in rough shape... haven't played any of them in a while for that reason but others will confirm that I'm sure.

Public courses w/ good elevation change & good greens right now: Falconhead & Avery Ranch

Semi-private w/ good elevation change & good greens right now: Onion Creek & River Place

Private: Barton Creek Foothills or Canyons, Lost Creek, UT Club

I just recently played Falconhead, Canyons, and Lost Creek in the last two weeks and all were in tip-top shape. I'd go Falconhead if you're going public and Onion Creek on semi. Private will just depend on who you know or it never hurts to call the club directly to get an out of town play. No charge for asking right?

Have fun out there - Hope the visit and play goes well.

/ep

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Hey guys (and gals?). I'm visiting Austin from Chicago around mid-July and could use some recommendations for area courses to fit in a couple of weekday rounds.

>

> Some parameters:

> * I'll probably be staying somewhere around the Austin Convention Center. I'll rent a car, and although I'm willing to drive for a great course, I'd prefer to find good options within about 30 minutes.

> * Looking for fun 18-hole layouts (where you have to shape the ball a little, not back & forth parallel holes), great conditioning, decent pace of play, and good value (would prefer to stay under $100 BUT willing to pay more if the course is really worth it).

> * Not sure what the topography is in Austin, but I'd like to find courses with elevation changes from tee to green

> * Likely playing days are Wed or Thur, but I might call an audible another day

>

> As another option, if there are great private tracks that can be accessed through either Club Corp or Boxgroove, I've been looking for an excuse to join one of those.

>

> TIA

>

>

Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @J_Birdie said:

> I played out at Great Hills and Crystal Falls today. GH is great tee to green and a little bumpy on the greens but overall great. Crystal Falls is in solid condition. Some suspect spots on some greens.

Is Great Hills fully private? If so, when can I come and play it with you? ?

Titleist 714 AP2 PX 6.0
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @epmonies said:

> > @J_Birdie said:

> > I’m in Austin right now and Kizer Clay greens are trash.

>

> At the risk of sounding pretentious, this is precisely why I can’t stand to play these munis anymore. Not to mention the minimum 5 hour round... ?

>

> I mean I don’t expect the greens to be perfect but what’s the point if you literally can’t putt on them?

>

>

I played Mo Willy yesterday and the greens had their typical issues. But I will say the fairways were in great shape and finished just under 4 hours with a foursome. I don't expect great greens at Muni's, but honestly they could simply just be rolled to smooth them out a bit. One guy had a 10' putt that jumped up in the air three times, once getting nearly 2" off the ground.

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Hey guys (and gals?). I'm visiting Austin from Chicago around mid-July and could use some recommendations for area courses to fit in a couple of weekday rounds.

>

> Some parameters:

> * I'll probably be staying somewhere around the Austin Convention Center. I'll rent a car, and although I'm willing to drive for a great course, I'd prefer to find good options within about 30 minutes.

> * Looking for fun 18-hole layouts (where you have to shape the ball a little, not back & forth parallel holes), great conditioning, decent pace of play, and good value (would prefer to stay under $100 BUT willing to pay more if the course is really worth it).

> * Not sure what the topography is in Austin, but I'd like to find courses with elevation changes from tee to green

> * Likely playing days are Wed or Thur, but I might call an audible another day

>

> As another option, if there are great private tracks that can be accessed through either Club Corp or Boxgroove, I've been looking for an excuse to join one of those.

>

> TIA

>

>

epmonies list is great, I'd also throw in Wolfdancer. Since you are playing during the week you can play in the morning around $80, and its right at a 30 minute drive from Downtown. Typically in great shape, has some really interesting holes, and is a fun/challenging course.

@epmonies and @TexTau56 - thanks for the suggestions. Does Barton let non-resort guests make tee times, or are they uber-strict on the private resort thing?

Also, any take on the following courses that I've also seen mentioned? I don't know which of these fall into the category of munis with conditioning issues, so let me know what to avoid as I narrow the search:

* Teravista

* Star Ranch

* Grey Rock

* Shadowglen

> @DeeBee30 said:

> @epmonies and @TexTau56 - thanks for the suggestions. Does Barton let non-resort guests make tee times, or are they uber-strict on the private resort thing?

>

> Also, any take on the following courses that I've also seen mentioned? I don't know which of these fall into the category of munis with conditioning issues, so let me know what to avoid as I narrow the search:

> * Teravista

> * Star Ranch

> * Grey Rock

> * Shadowglen

> * Crystal Falls

> * Vaaler Creek

> * The Bandit

> * Cowan Creek

>

I've only tried to get on Barton Creek once without a member or employee, and was told only members and resort guests. Not sure how strict, or if it depends on who you speak to, time of year etc.

* Teravista - suburban course laid out through a neighborhood. Usually in great condition, fun track, but wouldn't make it a destination or above some other options.

* Star Ranch - similar description to Teravista

* Grey Rock - Austin's "nice" Muni. Typically in good shape, but in my opinion the least interesting and fun. I'd rather play Lions or Mo Willy over Grey Rock any day. Suburban, and design is very repetitive.

* Shadowglen - Usually not the best shape, suburban, nothing special.

* Crystal Falls - Used to be one of my favorite public courses. Has had a lot of development around it in the past 10 years, but still beautiful, Hill Country course. If it is elevation changes you seek, this will not disappoint.

* Vaaler Creek - I have not played because it is kind of a hike for me. But have heard nothing but good things.

* The Bandit - Good Conditions, fun and interesting layout. Might be a little far from Downtown during the week. Avoid I-35.

* Cowan Creek - I play and love this course for what it is, but wouldn't make the drive that far north from Downtown. Especially considering your options closer (Falconhead, Onion Creek, Wolfdancer)

Hope this helps!

Edited to remove my last post/question. Thanks, @TexTau56! As you were typing, I removed the last 4 from my list once I mapped them...too far given what seems to be other great choices closer to downtown.

It looks like it'll come down to some combination of Falconhead, Avery Ranch, Onion Creek, River Place and Wolfdancer. I'd like to get in 36 holes, so I'll work to find two of those that are close enough together so I can do a morning and afternoon round.

Appreciate the input from you guys...it is a big help.