Houston Junior Memberships

flop_offense

Hello all,

Recent college graduate (played D1 golf at a smaller school) and I'm looking to join up as a junior at a club. Living in Midtown so 30-45 drive on Saturday and Sunday mornings isn't too bad since I'm not driving to work during the week.

Does anyone have opinions on the following:

Champions, Pine Forest, Riverbend, Sugar Creek, and Golfcrest

Really like Champions but not sure how the process to join up is. Max I'd be willing to drop on initiation is $10k so that basically rules out the inner-beltway 8 clubs, Lakeside, Royal Oaks, and GCOH. Not really concerned about monthly (not gonna harp over $100/month difference).

Looking for good course(s), ability to walk on weekends, and high golf IQ membership. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

Welcome to Houston! My thoughts:

1. Never join a club "blind" based on the recommendations of others. Each of the clubs you mention will offer you a free round of golf and a tour of the facilities if you call the membership director and say you are looking for a new club to join.

2. You might also include Westwood and Braeburn.

3. You should really explore the best local public courses before committing to an initiation fee and monthly dues. Play Cypresswood Tradition, Gus Wortham, Blackhorse South, the new Memorial Park in November, Woodforest, High Meadow Ranch, Wilderness, Eagle Pointe, Timber Creek, GCOH Tournament, etc. You might be happy with those offerings.

4. Finally, if you live in midtown, then the Downtown Club (two locations Met and Houston Center) offers gym memberships with cart fee golf privileges at local club corp affiliate courses (including Riverbend but excluding Deerwood). For about $500 initiation fee and $190 a month, you get gym membership and golf access from Sunday afternoon to Friday morning. For $2K initiation and $460 a month, you get all that plus anytime golf access at the four Kingwood courses, Golf Trails Woodlands and Lake Windcrest (but no Deerwood access). For $730 a month plus a larger initiation, all of that plus full Deerwood access. Each level of membership comes with travel access (100+ miles from Houston) to club corp courses for cart fee only. I have played Traditions at A&M and Hills of Lakeway in Austin several times for cart fee only. Great courses. There are several in Dallas that are highly rated as well. Club Corp runs initiation fee discounts all the time, so ask.

Personally, I have the Downtown Met gym membership with the $190 a month dues/golf privileges, and supplement Friday afternoon to Sunday morning play with the local public courses.

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

Where do you work? I think proximity to work is important as well if you want to get out and play some afternoon golf after work or hit up the range. With your budget and being a junior you can pretty much join any of the courses you mentioned.

I am a member at Riverbend and the initiation for juniors and monthly cost are hard to beat. Its a golf club with country club amenities, a tough golf course and a great locker room.

I have played Golfcrest as well, its a neighborhood country club so you get a lot of private golf carts, but the golf course is great and one of the best greens around.

Sugar Creek is next to Riverbend, has 3-9s one of the 9's (Robert) is ok.

Like poster above mentioned for your budget Westwood and Braeburn is an option, I believe Braeburn has a junior waitlist. Course is on the shorter side but great track. Westwood has the best practice area in town, great parkland course.

Any questions especially on Riverbend, message me.

Obviously play the courses first if you can. I personally don't like the courses at Sugar Creek, I haven't played Riverbend in over 20 years, and I've never played Pine Forest, so I won't comment on those clubs. I also think you should add Westwood to your options.

I think Champions will have what you're looking for. 2 courses, and I can't imagine they'd punch the greens on both at the same time, so you likely won't have to play punched greens if you don't want to. Cypress is definitely better, but Jackrabbit isn't bad. Both are walker friendly (and you can use your own push cart). They have a handicap limit (around 10, I think). I'm 99% sure the junior initiation is less than $10K, although you may have to pay more when you turn 30 or 35.

I also like the course at Westwood. The benefit there is that it's much closer in case you want to get out there after work. Very walkable course, but I think if you want to use a push cart, you have to rent one from the club. Dues may be cheaper than Champions, but I'm not sure.

Golfcrest will likely be the cheapest option - it was $500 to join and $250 per month with no F&B minimums when I was a member. It's a decent course, but definitely not on the level of Westwood or the Cypress course. The greens are some of the best you'll find in Houston though. I've played in some TGA events with a couple of different guys who said it's hard to get into some good games at Golfcrest. I can't argue with that, although I wasn't looking for that when I was a member.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses guys. Really appreciate the insight.

I have gotten to play Champions Cypress, Pine Forest, and Sugar Creek. Not totally impressed with Sugar Creek and I feel like Pine Forest lacks a really good practice facility.

> CougarRed said:

> 3. You should really explore the best local public courses before committing to an initiation fee and monthly dues. Play Cypresswood Tradition, Gus Wortham, Blackhorse South, the new Memorial Park in November, Woodforest, High Meadow Ranch, Wilderness, Eagle Pointe, Timber Creek, GCOH Tournament, etc. You might be happy with those offerings.

Yeah, this past summer I played Gus, Cypresswood, BlackHorse, Eagle Pointe, and GCOH.....great courses but just not looking to hang around public courses.

> jflores8 said:

> Where do you work? I think proximity to work is important as well if you want to get out and play some afternoon golf after work or hit up the range. With your budget and being a junior you can pretty much join any of the courses you mentioned.

Working downtown - really looking for solid weekend option and maybe possibility of getting out on fridays during the summer.

> jacob7071 said:

> I think Champions will have what you're looking for. 2 courses, and I can't imagine they'd punch the greens on both at the same time, so you likely won't have to play punched greens if you don't want to. Cypress is definitely better, but Jackrabbit isn't bad. Both are walker friendly (and you can use your own push cart). They have a handicap limit (around 10, I think). I'm 99% sure the junior initiation is less than $10K, although you may have to pay more when you turn 30 or 35.

>

> I also like the course at Westwood. The benefit there is that it's much closer in case you want to get out there after work. Very walkable course, but I think if you want to use a push cart, you have to rent one from the club. Dues may be cheaper than Champions, but I'm not sure.

>

I think I'm leaning towards Champions. Can't get good info on Westwood initiation but will definitely have to contact membership director. Only having 18 holes opposed to 27 or 36 is a bummer.

Westwood initiation for junior is around $8-$10k and dues about 600. Champions is closer to the $5k and their dues is split into tiers. You can pay more and it goes towards buying up your membership when you turn 35. I believe full is up to $25k. Champions is great golf course from what I been told by numerous folks, the drive from midtown/downtown Houston will get tiring after a while IMO.

Good luck in your search!

> @txeconomist said:

> Champions is either 3k or 5k. Best deal in town. I’m a member at BraeBurn, and think it’s 10k. BraeBurn works for me because it’s close to the house...but for you where they are both probably 25-35 min, I’d go Champions all day.

You were at Riverbend at some point weren't you?

• 3 weeks later...

I played Braeburn last week and I was impressed.

Great course, love the old school feeling of it. scored decent, from what I was told the prices do seem reasonable.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

John Bredemus designed BraeBurn, along with Westwood, the original Pine Forest (before it moved to Clay Rd) & Memorial Park in Houston, Ridglea in Ft Worth and Colonial in Dallas. I think all of those courses have had work done since the original design. Bredemus designed Colonial in conjunction with Perry Maxwell and Ralph Plummer -- the others solo.

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

> @CougarRed said:

> John Bredemus designed BraeBurn, along with Westwood, Pine Forest & Memorial Park in Houston, Ridglea in Ft Worth and Colonial in Dallas.

Ahhh, good information.

it was interesting, the greens looked not the greatest but they ran so smooth and fast. don't think I have a bad thing to say about the place.

Traffic getting back to the heights afterwards was killer; had to stop at P.F Changs at Highland Village to get a break.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

• 1 year later...

Don't know if you have found anywhere yet but I am a member out at Sugar Creek.  Just joined in March (when I moved to Houston) and have been very happy with the decision.  Like someone already mentioned, we have 3 nines.  2 of the 3 are fantastic and one of my favorite layouts around.  Greens are some of the best in the area and the courses are always in good shape. Great group of young guys out there who can play and you can get in a game pretty much any day of the week.  Initiation is 1,500 for anyone under 30 and I think 3 for 30-35.  Dues are comparable to anywhere around.  I live in the Heights and its an easy 20-25 drive to get there.  Would be quicker from Midtown.  

I toured and played quite a few courses before settling there.  Champions obviously has what you are looking for but have to pony up the 25k when you turn 35.  I don't know if that is a deal breaker or not.  Great course but unsure what will happen with it once Jackie passes away.  

Braeburn is currently re-doing the golf course and just hit their members with a pretty steep assessment.  I am not sure if you would have to pay that as a new member or not but I am assuming they would assess you somehow.  They currently have deals with a few courses around so their members can play during the course renovations.  

Riverbend is solid, but I was not impressed by the greens when I was out there. Obviously could have been an off day/week for them but just my observations.  

Golfcrest in Pearland is cheap and was in great shape when I was out there.  I don't know much about their membership but the guys I played with were nice and decent at golf.  Would think there are better options for your price range though.  

If you ever want to come out to Sugar Creek, feel free to reach out and I would be happy to get a group together to play with you (I'm a scratch so I won't waste your time putting you with a bunch of hacks haha.) You can always call the shop and tell them you're interested in joining and they will comp the round.  

Hope this helps if you haven't found anywhere yet.  

BraeBurn did not have an assessment per say. Members have been paying a monthly fee into a fund which has now been increased by like $100 per month. I think the initiation fee will be increased for new members but I am not sure if that has gone into effect yet. Think it’s around $45k right now which may or may not include the increase...not sure. 

BBCC hired Trip Davis to do the redesign. The course is going to be stretched to a little over 7k yards. BBCC has some quirky holes, if he can fix this and with the new agronomy should be a pretty sweet place. Staff and Membership is great.

• 2 months later...
On 1/13/2021 at 10:18 AM, MKG141991 said:

Golfcrest in Pearland is cheap and was in great shape when I was out there.  I don't know much about their membership but the guys I played with were nice and decent at golf.  Would think there are better options for your price range though.  

Anyone know how much Golfcrest is for someone under 35?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/20/2019 at 7:24 AM, flop_offense said:

Hello all,

Recent college graduate (played D1 golf at a smaller school) and I'm looking to join up as a junior at a club. Living in Midtown so 30-45 drive on Saturday and Sunday mornings isn't too bad since I'm not driving to work during the week.

Does anyone have opinions on the following:

Champions, Pine Forest, Riverbend, Sugar Creek, and Golfcrest

Really like Champions but not sure how the process to join up is. Max I'd be willing to drop on initiation is $10k so that basically rules out the inner-beltway 8 clubs, Lakeside, Royal Oaks, and GCOH. Not really concerned about monthly (not gonna harp over $100/month difference).

Looking for good course(s), ability to walk on weekends, and high golf IQ membership. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

What did you end up choosing? Curious if you were happy with what you chose!