Headed to Scottsdale next month. Any one have any must plays?

kwoodling ·  
kwoodlingkwoodling  2WRX Points: 5Members Posts: 2 Starters

Wife has a work conference so I'm tagging along for 3 days of nothing but golf. It'll be my first time playing west of the Mississippi. Probably playing McCormick Ranch since we are staying close by. Where else should I play??

Posted:

Comments

• tw422tw422 Manhattan Beach, Ca. 331WRX Points: 72Members Posts: 331 Greens

I wouldn't waste your time at McCormick - get a rental car and play others - if you've never played TPC do it just for the experience (not a great course). The Waste Management stands will be up and it changes the look and feel of the course especially the last 3 holes. TPC Champions course is good. Grayhawk and We Ko Pa are really good too. Keirland and Camelback courses are good to very good. People will pepper in courses like Quintero, Southern Dunes, Wickenburg, etc...and they are all good but they are pretty far from Scottsdale. If you want something affordable check out Papago - decent muni. McCormick is ok but I was really underwhelmed by it. Stay away from Biltmore - overpriced and not a great course. If you search for a member on this site (Argon??) he's been posting pics of courses he's played in and around Phoenix.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • kwoodlingkwoodling  2WRX Points: 5Members Posts: 2 Starters

I was thinking of making the trip to We Ko Pa. From the photos I've seen the scenery looks amazing! Papago is close by to were we're staying. May swap out McCormick for it. I love a good muni.

Thanks for the great info!!

Posted:
  • vallygolfvallygolf  547WRX Points: 124Members Posts: 547 Golden Tee
    Posted:
  • vallygolfvallygolf  547WRX Points: 124Members Posts: 547 Golden Tee
    Posted:
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONA 3184WRX Points: 332Members Posts: 3,184 Titanium Tees

Argonne is playing the dregs and dumps of the valley. Do not put any stock into any of those courses as options!

Posted:
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 ARIZONA 3184WRX Points: 332Members Posts: 3,184 Titanium Tees

Do not play Mccormick!!! You can go a mile down the road and play either of the Camelback courses which are head and shoulders. If price is a variable, look for some deals...still do not play Mccormick!

Also, do not waste your time or money on Kierland - it is a boring, resort course with no redeeming qualities. TPC is ok, but not a first choice.

If it suits you budget and time wise - the recommendation from me would be: Play Wekopa Saguaro Course, Troon North Pinnacle, Verde River. Papago is a good muni for a little less money.

Posted:

Advertisement

Agreed but he does good course reviews and takes nice pictures so I thought it would be good for someone who is coming to AZ for the first time.

Posted:
    Posted:
  • gsteitzgsteitz  352WRX Points: 74Members Posts: 352 Greens

I came here to suggest WeKoPa, I was there a few years back and those were some of my all time favorite desert courses.

Also, if custom putters are your thing at all I definitely stop by MannKrafted at Sunridge Canyon. LaMont is arguably one of the top custom putter makers in the world!

Posted:
  • Sjewell94Sjewell94  70WRX Points: 40Members Posts: 70 Bunkers

We Ko Pa is excellent. Best conditions for public in the valley. Two courses also, don't sleep on the original Cholla course.

Posted:

TS2 9.5
    TS2 3W
    TS2 5W
    718 T-MB 4
    716MB 5-P
    Vokey SM7 52.08
    Vokey SM7 56.10
    Vokey SM7 60.10
    Scotty NP2

• ATLGator47ATLGator47  11WRX Points: 20Members Posts: 11 Bunkers

Love We Ko Pa and Troon North already mentioned. I tend to really like Grayhawk (hosting the NCAA championships this year). The Boulders is a little further out but not a bad track overall.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • TK3TK3 TK3 Tulsa, OK 242WRX Points: 86Handicap: 7.3Members Posts: 242 Fairways

I agree with the previous posts...cannot go wrong with either WeKoPa course. I would also throw in Talking Stick - North Course as well. A wonderful Coore / Crenshaw design.

Posted:
    My set-up:
    Bag - Sun Mountain MPB
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX with Grafalloy Blue (White)
    3 Wood - Ryoma F3 / Matrix
    5 Wood - Ping G400
    Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 hybrid
    Irons - JDM Titleist VG3 5-PW irons with Nippon Modus 3 shafts
    Wedges - Ping Glide 50* / 54* / 58*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 33"
    Shoes - Ecco Cage
    Ball - Srixon Z Star
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 Austin 6679WRX Points: 1,160Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 6,679 Titanium Tees

I would skip TPC and McCormick.

My favorites are both Troon North courses and both Boulders courses.

Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69  23296WRX Points: 7,263Members Posts: 23,296 Titanium Tees

I don't see how anyone can call Papago affordable. It's currently $114 midweek mornings. If you want an affordable muni that's fun, check out Aguila.

Personally, I'd make the trek down to Maricopa to play Southern Dunes. Tee times can be had for $90 or less. Definitely one of the better courses in the area, and a real bargain. Otherwise you can't go wrong with We Ko Pa, Grayhawk, or the Troon courses. However, they'll set you back close to $200.

Eagle Mountain is a fun layout, along with Sunridge Canyon.

Posted:

Lol. I gotta agree. If it's your first visit, or 15th visit, then stay away from the low end courses. I've played most of the better courses in the area, and I'm on a budget this trip.

Posted:
  • newg33bnewg33b  81WRX Points: 127Members Posts: 81 Fairways

We Ko Pa Saguaro is my favorite course I’ve played in AZ on my two trips there. I guess ive stuck to the top recommendations here since I’ve only played the two We Ko Pa courses, southern dunes, and the two Troon North courses. The back 9 at Troon North Monument is awesome, so I’d recommend that one too even though the general consensus is Pinnacle might have a better total of 18 holes.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CMCSGolfCMCSGolf  612WRX Points: 144Members Posts: 612 Golden Tee

Holy Smokes, that's pricey. Has it been this expensive for awhile? I thought I remembered playing it for around $50 in 2014 or so. But my memory could be faulty here...

Posted:

Winter rates for non-residents. Resident rates are $24 cheaper. Non-residents can play in twilight for $50. Summer rates are much cheaper. City Card holders play for $69 weekday mornings.

Posted:
  • cbbaroncbbaron Quincy Mass 1170WRX Points: 192Handicap: 9.1Members Posts: 1,170 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    Driver Ping G400 Max Hzrdas Yellow
    3w Titleist 915 Aldila Silver
    19 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    22 degree Titleist 818 Tensei White
    5- Pw Mizuno HMP Nippon Modus 120
    50  Vokey 50 Sm7 F grind
    54  Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
    58    Vokey 58 SM5 S grind
    Putter Scotty Cameron Newport Select 2.0
    Posted:
  • cbbaroncbbaron Quincy Mass 1170WRX Points: 192Handicap: 9.1Members Posts: 1,170 Platinum Tees
    Posted:
    50  Vokey 50 Sm7 F grind
    54  Vokey 54 SM7 S grind

Advertisement

Papago, relative to the other courses in the area at this time of year, is very affordable. 50-80% less depending on the course. I'd also say it's a really good value in term of conditions/layout/challenge/cost. The other thing it has going for is it's close to both Phoenix and Scottsdale. Agree on Aguila although it's a bit of hike from McCormick Ranch area. If you want cheap go to Encanto or GCU however, expect those to be a significant drop off in terms of quality. If you want affordable great quality golf you need to come to Phoenix in May-Sept.

Posted:
    Post edited by tw422 on
  • Tipsy McHookerTipsy McHooker  557WRX Points: 83Members Posts: 557 Golden Tee

Troon North Pinnacle course, We Ko Pa, Quintero. If willing to make a lil drive Wickenburg Ranch is incredible.

Posted:

Nope. $130 after tax and a bucket of balls is not 'good value' in any terms for Papago. Especially considering Southern dunes is less. There are others at a better price as well.

Posted:
  • CuffCuff  11WRX Points: 10Handicap: 10Members Posts: 11 Bunkers

Avoid Quintero. I did not enjoy.

Posted:
  • livigolfslivigolfs  82WRX Points: 24Members Posts: 82 Fairways

Just got back from Scottsdale and I played 4 courses. Ranked them below:

1. We-Ko-Pa Sagauro
    2. TPC Stadium (had voucher)
    3. Wickenburg Ranch - fun layout with a bunch of par 5s and 3s
    4. Verde River

All were really nice even Verde River had great conditions. We-Ko-Pa really stands out though. Loved the design and was absolutely beautiful scenery. I dont know exactly how to describe the feeling other than it's what golf should feel like.

Posted:

Advertisement

Don’t get your logic. SD is currently $110 (goes to $125 next week) and it’s 45 miles from Scottsdale. Papago which is 10-12 miles from Scottsdale is $138. Compared to other courses within the same range 10-12 miles how is it not a better value?

Posted:

Southern Dunes is one of the top 5 public golf courses in AZ. If was in Scottsdale it would be over 200 next week

Posted:
    50  Vokey 50 Sm7 F grind
    54  Vokey 54 SM7 S grind
  • mcmahon13mcmahon13  18WRX Points: 20Members Posts: 18 Bunkers

We Ko Pa is excellent. If you could only play one course in AZ, I would go with Saguarro at We Ko Pa.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • livigolfslivigolfs  82WRX Points: 24Members Posts: 82 Fairways
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.