New ping L8 review!! Please read and Beware!!

So as a life long ping fan in both clubs and bags I was over the moon when they said they were bringing back the original looking l8, so many great memories of that bag in various different colour ways pre and post stand versions!

so after pre booking the white version as they are ltd edition it arrived yesterday and I’m sad to say it is going straight back!

The reason is simple, it simply is not fit for its primary purpose: carrying golf clubs around the course!

Now before I go into more detail I will say that Ping have added some lovely touches with the bag and aesthetically it’s very pleasing and premium, things like leather zipper pulls, a nice leg retraction system, great fabric bla bla bla.

Another lovely touch is also its downfall, they have added a very luxurious black velvet to the divider and strap(I’ve highlighted on the pics).

so why is this the downfall, well it’s simple, the strap simply won’t stay on your shoulder as it’s too smooth! Whether you carry clubs facing forwards or back. On at least 6 occasions it slipped off altogether and managed to rescue with my elbow but I was constantly hitching it back up!

to check it wasn’t just me I gave it to my playing partner to carry to the tee! Low and behold same thing!

The question begs why have a company as big and as fastidious With design as them let this happen, how was it missed? I’m sending mine back and can only assume it will be the first of many! The straps need to be changed, simple! In the meantime I have a hoofer tour coming so all is not lost!

please let me know if you’ve had any issues!

GM67SZ8AP7H1.jpeg

BN3CAFPI6XIL.jpeg

Thanks. Too bad.

that bag is exactly how I want my Ping bag to look but with their great dual straps for carrying.

how was the dividers? Any club tangle? Can these even have replacement straps added?

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Well, I clearly don’t want a carry bag with only one strap option. Maybe from some of these premium bags that give you both of them if you want to swap out, but not a single strap as my only option.

thanks.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

"Another lovely touch is also its downfall, they have added a very luxurious black velvet to the divider and strap(I’ve highlighted on the pics)"

The original L8+ and Hoofer models came with the velvet top and velvet on the strap. I have original versions of both. To be completely accurate, the very first versions had just the plastic top, then they added the velvet shortly after to protect from shaft wear.

Can't go back to single strap unfortunately, otherwise would be ordering this bag.

I checked the new L8 out last week and as a former L8+ owner, I was a little let down. The "velvet" strap didn't bother me but I think the single strap is a big miss. They should have made a double strap that is convertible to a single if desired. The bag is heavy for it's size and basically only has 2 pockets not including the small valuable pouch inside the larger apparel pocket. The bag is well built to be fair with the traditional heavy polypropylene fabric but I would have preferred to see the lighter ballistic nylon type fabric that Ping used on some of the older L8's. The new Craz-e Lite bag on the other hand is a really nice bag and a winner for the walking crowd. Extremely light and comfortable to carry. Fabric is light and thin but appears to be strong. Not a lot of storage space but the pocket quantity and layout is well thought out adequate for all the basics and a set of rain gear when needed. It's basically an upgraded, modernized minimalist style bag with a stand and double straps.

I have owned Ping L8 bags since 1989 and still have 3 which get a run out every so often for old times sake.

Mine are all single strap but I do have an old sun mountain loop which helps to turn it into a double strap.

Now have just purchased the new hoofer lite as my everyday bag and the new L8 for summer but due to age and some shoulder issues I will only carry on a flatfish course or for a quick 9 ( at the moment due to the UK winter and trolley ban I carry with a half set)

The point raised about the strap being problematic is true but if you have a loop or vessel tour strap then it isn’t an issue IMHO.

My biggest gripe is the fact you cannot replace the strap without sending it to ping as it is stitched together at the top.

Now in the old L8 days you could send your bag back to ping at the Gainsborough facility and they would replace the old wooden spines straps etc and even stitch up any rips. It truly was a fantastic service and when people say the old L8’s were good they really were. Ping no longer offer this facility so will be interesting when you need a new strap.

What I will say is the quality of the fabric is very good as well as the stitching and some of the details are great.

I will attach some pictures so may help.

I will also purchase a new vessel tour strap to go with the bag.

The only reason I don’t use my old L8’s regularly is the lack of club dividers which funnily enough back in the day didn’t seem to matter.

• 3 months later...

So just curious, did you add the second strap (specifically the Vessel Tour Strap) and if so, how did it work out? I have been shopping (and shopping and shopping) for a new bag and while the L8 has the least "features" its the one bag that really speaks to me when I have it in hand and it is clearly built to last which is important to me. I just pulled the trigger on a push cart (assuming they aren't lying about the thing actually being in stock) so I'm not in a big rush to drop more $$$ on golf but would love to hear if you have any further feedback. Thanks!

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

OP said "Beware" and I should have listened. Even after reading the review, I could not stop thinking about how nice this bag looked and convinced myself that no way would the designers at Ping allow the huge flaw that is a very slippery strap. I WAS WRONG. In all fairness, I bought this online from Golf Galaxy knowing that I could get a refund if unsatisfied and literally after trying the bag on for less than a minute, I knew I had to return the bag.

I wish they had this bag in a double strap that looked consistent with the retro vibe while also being 100% comfortable and functional. Oh well.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

• 2 weeks later...

That stinks that they don’t come worhbdual

straps. I still have my original red/blue L8 and I had to buy an izzo strap for it. That used to be the best option back in the day.https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/izzo-sidewinder-strap/1078582.html?country=US&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz4z3BRCgARIsAES_OVfqxKYTcsRtV84TWAbBhYz7aLgGHy0rGbcE-ea7zol6ISV0I7BFPl0aAqDSEALw_wcB

I’m going to order an all white one with no logos printed.

Taylormade Qi10 - 9* Ventus Black 7x
Taylormade Qi10 - 15* Ventus Black 8X
Srixon ZX Utility MKII Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X Hybrid
PING Blueprint S- 4-PW DG Tour Issue X100 
Titleist Vokey SM9 - 56.14F & 60.10K (LB) Wedgeworks DG TI S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X SS Proto 35.5"

Titleist Pro V1

• 7 months later...
On 2/7/2020 at 9:44 PM, Jw231176 said:

So as a life long ping fan in both clubs and bags I was over the moon when they said they were bringing back the original looking l8, so many great memories of that bag in various different colour ways pre and post stand versions!

so after pre booking the white version as they are ltd edition it arrived yesterday and I’m sad to say it is going straight back!

The reason is simple, it simply is not fit for its primary purpose: carrying golf clubs around the course!

Now before I go into more detail I will say that Ping have added some lovely touches with the bag and aesthetically it’s very pleasing and premium, things like leather zipper pulls, a nice leg retraction system, great fabric bla bla bla.

Another lovely touch is also its downfall, they have added a very luxurious black velvet to the divider and strap(I’ve highlighted on the pics).

so why is this the downfall, well it’s simple, the strap simply won’t stay on your shoulder as it’s too smooth! Whether you carry clubs facing forwards or back. On at least 6 occasions it slipped off altogether and managed to rescue with my elbow but I was constantly hitching it back up!

to check it wasn’t just me I gave it to my playing partner to carry to the tee! Low and behold same thing!

The question begs why have a company as big and as fastidious With design as them let this happen, how was it missed? I’m sending mine back and can only assume it will be the first of many! The straps need to be changed, simple! In the meantime I have a hoofer tour coming so all is not lost!

please let me know if you’ve had any issues!

GM67SZ8AP7H1.jpeg

BN3CAFPI6XIL.jpeg

You still got the bag?? Looking to get a white one can’t find one anywhere? 
did the strap sort itself with time. 

• 10 months later...

I like most things about the L8 bag, including the single strap. I wanted a bag that was more basic but did not lack in quality, fit and finish. This bag has that. It fits nicely on my BagBoy Nitron push cart. Clubs fit in and out of the bag as well as any other bag on the market. That’s not to say that it’s good, but not any worse. I hate bags with a boatload of pockets because I always forget which pocket I put items in and need to check numerous times. This bag really only has two pockets; however, a more accessible valuables pocket on the top is probably one thing I wish it had. There is an interior one with a zipper but it’s awkward to use. 

• 3 months later...

No slipping while carrying for me.  Only slides when I lower my shoulder to remove the bag.  Actually a good feature.  This may be an issue for some depending on their anatomy.  If you have sloping shoulders, or huge traps, you may have a problem.  I am very fat with wide shoulders, so plenty of real estate to keep the strap in place.

The bag is high quality and is not overwhelmed with 11 pockets.  Retro in a good way,  The varsity does have double straps, but I have not seen one of those in the wild yet.  Could be a good choice for the slippery shoulder bunch.

Although it is only available in 1 colorway, the Ping Varsity L8 (only available online) has a dual strap set up, it's great. I bought one!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

• 1 month later...

Update.  It has been over 5 weeks and a dozen rounds now, and the L8 is a great bag.  I have not had any problem with the shoulder strap slipping.  It is plush and soft and comfortable.  I am a “wide body” and have plenty of room on my shoulder for a strap or two.  I think if you have narrow or sloping shoulders, it might be a problem, but if the bag interests you, try it out in the store.  You can determine yourself if your build works with the shoulder strap.  The best thing about this bag is not having so many zippers.  I can see myself ordering this again in 5 years.