Beer and Golf Trip in Asheville

Hey everyone,

Last time I asked for some help, everyone here was very helpful so I figured why not again? We are headed to Asheville NC from Nashville in mid July (Not scared of COVID) and I was really hoping to get some recommendations for a nice course about 30min away from downtown Asheville. It will be my dad and by brother-in-law and myself. All of us are huge golfers. Obviously a public course is needed since we have no connections in NC. I would guess we will play two rounds but I am not sure at this point.

What say you all? Thanks for any help!

Driver : Ping G410 LST w/ Evenflow Black 6.5

Fairways: Titleist TS2 15* w/ Ventus Blue 7x

Taylormade M5 Ti w/ GD BB7x

Irons: Miura CB57 w/ KBS C-taper 125 (4-9i)

Wedges: Raw Zip-core 46, 54, 58 & SM7 50

Putter: Ping Tyne 4 w/ BGT Stability 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 months!? okay...

For your July trip check out The Grove Park Inn (Donald Ross) and i didn't hate Asheville Muni, now far from great so don't expect much

Sierra Nevada has a huge operation. Burial beer is my personal favorite in Asheville. Hi-wire has the best food truck IMO

Enjoy the trip, asheville is awesome

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

Perhaps longer than 12 months. Asheville was awesome and likely will be again one day, but it isn't now and certainly won't be in July 2020.

See here: Asheville News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | WLOSAnd, here: The Citizen-Times, Ashevilleps I live in Asheville.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

• 3 months later...

Update on this. Still going 100%. Our AirBnb is jsut a stones throw from Burial Beer so we will be all over that! As far as golf we have it narrowed down to a Friday afternoon round at either Sequoia National Golf Club, Grove Park Inn, and Maggie Valley Golf Club. Thanks for those recommendations.

Really looking forward to getting out of Nashville to play some golf....

Mountain courses are my favorite and that looks awesome to me. Seems to be pretty open and not too tree lined...

Never played in the area but if you are willing to venture out:

Cherokee Valley- Travelers Rest SC (1hr)

Island Pointe (formerly River Islands) - Kodak, TN (1.5hrs)... one of the most unique courses I’ve ever played

Old Toccoa Farm-  Mineral Bluff GA (2hrs).. will soon be a top 50 public golf course in the country if it doesn’t go private

You sir are speaking my language! I love Asheville and generally visit twice a year.

Grove Park Inn is my preferred course if I want to stay close to town but still play something nice. It's fairly tight but is still fun.

Sequoyah National is pure video game golf and should be played at least once if you have the time. It's probably 50 min from downtown.

Another option is Broadmoor near the airport. It was in good shape last fall when I played it, and the rates are generally low. The main reason I play here is that it's right across the street from the giant Sierra Nevada campus, which is also a must visit. They have excellent food, multiple bars, a huge outdoor area, and you can do self guided tours.

I did my 40th birthday celebration down there last October and played all three courses I mentioned. In all I've probably visited Asheville 12-15 times in the last 8 years or so.

Enjoy the trip!

Looks like we are going to hit up Grove Park Inn since we are going to be packing a lot into one day we wanted to stay in close to town. I hear great things about the course but it could be a little overpriced....

Can't wait to hit up Burial Beer. I live right near Southern Grist and Bearded Iris in Nashville and they do a few collabs each year together with Burial.

I didn't comment on breweries in previous post because I was running out the door, but here's my three cents:

Burial - arguably my favorite brewery, especially for IPA's and stouts; their food truck is excellent too

Wicked Weed - great all around beer and a full service restaurant in a really cool setting. Make sure to check out the downstairs; they have extra barrel aged beers you can't get upstairs.

Hi-wire - smaller brewery but solid all around beer (especially the hazy IPA's). As a bonus, check out Ben's tune-up next door. They have a full restaurant, a sweet outdoor patio with occasional live music, and they make some tasty in-house sake

Catawba - I wasn't initially keen on them, but the beer keeps improving, they have a solid food truck, and they are one of the only breweries downtown with TV's in case you're trying to watch a game while you're out

Brahmari - lots of funky beer styles, seems like they have a lot of fun making beer. I especially enjoy their sour IPA called "the good fight"

Green man - probably the second biggest brewery after after wicked weed. I'm not overly impressed, but it's definitely not bad.

Wicked Weed funkatorium - they make some of the best sours in the country imo; dark angel is my all-time favorite.

Asheville Brewing Company - pretty basic beer; I do like the Shiva IPA, and their pizza is quality.

*Top of the monk - not a brewery; but an awesome craft cocktail speakeasy spot with a rooftop patio where you can smoke cigars.

That's all I can think of for now, I know I missed a few. I'll try to come back and update later...

Thanks for the insight!! Only my wife and I are big sour people so it sounds like we might need to split from the group and hit up a few of your recommendations. I am not sure what we have planned food wise but I will be sure to bring some of the recommendations to the table!

Looking at those pictures of Sequoia it really reminds me of a wooded version of Wolf Creek out in Mesquite, NV.

Also going to be in Asheville next week and looking to play a round or two. Really interested in Sequoia but holes 6, 8, and 9 are under renovation and out of play. Are those some of the more picturesque holes? I'm not opposed to still playing it, but if those are three of the best holes on the course, then I'm not sure if I want to play it if I would be missing out on that.

• 2 weeks later...

Was able to get out the Cherokee Valley last week and really enjoyed it. Course was fun with a lot of great views. Only downside was the greens were still a little bumpy recovering from an aeration, but not enough to ruin the day.

As a 19 handicap, was very excited to have my first (unofficial) eagle. On 18 hit my regular tee shot, struck it fine and down the center of the fairway with my 4 hybrid (longest club in my bag). Decided to play a second ball with my buddies driver, because why not, which was pretty good, cut around the right side of the fairway that curves right. Had about 220 in to the downhill green, far right pin placement, hit it through the trees over the water and onto the green, leaving me a 25 footer with 3 feet of break for the eagle, which I drained. Too bad I bogeyed my actual ball in play for the 3 shot difference.

I am a sucker for courses where you can watch people come in on 18, so we grabbed a beer and enjoyed a cigar on the chairs overlooking 18 to end a great day.

also got to experience a bunch of breweries and some restaurants in Asheville, would say they mostly have the social distancing done right. Most of the places would have you check in outside, and they would take you to your table once one was ready. Every other table, masks required until your seated. If restaurants and the like are going to be open, that is the way to do it. Really enjoyed Bhramari and WW funkatorium (wicked weed was closed due employee testing positive). Also got a drink at Antidote, really enjoyed the set up there