Phil debating move to long putter?

Steve Hennessey

[quote name='Par72' timestamp='1314303636' post='3518952']
[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1314303146' post='3518922']
Hell some players openly admit they should be illegal but they still use them because they are legal.
[/quote]

I call BS! Find me one quote from a player saying they should be illegal while they are using one. Ernie saying so 6 years ago and using one now doesn't count....

For those that think Adam looks funny using the belly putter...what about 21 yr old cutie Michelle Wie using it? how does she look?
[/quote]

Pretty sure they mentioned on the broadcast this weekend that Carl Petterson thought they should be illegal, and he's used one forever.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Potatohead' timestamp='1314303761' post='3518961']
Hell some players openly admit they should be illegal but they still use them because they are legal.
[/quote]

I call BS! Find me one quote from a player saying they should be illegal while they are using one. Ernie saying so 6 years ago and using one now doesn't count....

For those that think Adam looks funny using the belly putter...what about 21 yr old cutie Michelle Wie using it? how does she look?
[/quote]

Pretty sure they mentioned on the broadcast this weekend that Carl Petterson thought they should be illegal, and he's used one forever.
[/quote]

I didnt' see this week but I have never heard that before and I'd love to hear the player say that and not the broadcaster possibly paraphrase....

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ernie's thoughts on the belly putter are stil the same. In recent talks he said that since they are not banned and other people can use them that he would give it a try. He also recently tweeted that he was embarrassed that he is using one now. Adam Scott had the same comments back when Ernie spoke out and has had recent interview questions about it and stated the same thing. I don't know why their previous comments don't matter. If anything it shows they have not been a fan of them way before they even became a huge issue that we make it out to be today. Their opinion has been stronger than most.

[quote name='NWS Alpine' timestamp='1314304290' post='3519000']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ernie's thoughts on the belly putter are stil the same. In recent talks he said that since they are not banned and other people can use them that he would give it a try. He also recently tweeted that he was embarrassed that he is using one now. Adam Scott had the same comments back when Ernie spoke out and has had recent interview questions about it and stated the same thing. I don't know why their previous comments don't matter. If anything it shows they have not been a fan of them way before they even became a huge issue that we make it out to be today. Their opinion has been stronger than most.
[/quote]

Fair enough, Without debating the points made I guess I was wrong if he's tweeting stuff like that. I will certainly admit it when im off and It seems as if youre point is not BS

i love the posts that bones would disapprove or he'd quit if phil went to a belly putter. give me a break

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

[quote name='Potatohead' timestamp='1314290786' post='3518604']
These threads are so annoying. The fact we're being asked to discuss something elsewhere while we are currently ON A DISCUSSION BOARD is ridiculous.

The trolling for page hits is so obvious it's painful.
[/quote]

What, the new golf digest site is of no interest to you?

I be'll shocked if he takes the plunge- for the record, I could care less regarding the use of long putters...

Feherty failed to ask the obvious follow up questions to Bones:

1) Phil's opinion on long putters

2) Has Phil ever experimented with one, or talked about it?

3) What would you do if Phil switched to a long putter?

I took note of that immediately. Invariably the reviews of Feherty's program are positive so I try to restrain from butting in with negative critiques, even if sometimes I can't help it. Feherty spent far too much time with Fluff during that episode, barely exploring anything interesting with Bones. But when the long putter issue surfaced out of nowhere I was shocked Feherty let it slide without competent questioning. That segment was short, and crammed into the end of the episode. But it didn't have to be if Bones had provided more details. It was months between filming and air date.

Phil is one of the all time greats of this game BUT on that short list, he is the worst short putter of any list that is made. Never has someone so good missed so many short ones down the stretch. Remember the 3 putt at Shinnecock from 3-4 feet? Remember when he was battling Tiger at the Masters and he 3 putted from about 5 feet? He blew some short ones at Bethpage too. Maybe he should go to the belly heck it sure can't hurt.
As much as Phil has won, he would've won a lot more if his short putting was better.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1314311963' post='3519352']
Phil is one of the all time greats of this game BUT on that short list, he is the worst short putter of any list that is made. Never has someone so good missed so many short ones down the stretch. Remember the 3 putt at Shinnecock from 3-4 feet? Remember when he was battling Tiger at the Masters and he 3 putted from about 5 feet? He blew some short ones at Bethpage too. Maybe he should go to the belly heck it sure can't hurt.
As much as Phil has won, he would've won a lot more if his short putting was better.
[/quote]

I feel the same way about Hogan, can you imagine how much he would have won had he not developed the yips?

[/quote]

For those that think Adam looks funny using the belly putter...[b]what about 21 yr old cutie Michelle Wie using it? how does she look?[/b]
[/quote]

it would take me awhile to notice the putter...

if the long putters are legal and the player putts better with them why not use it? im not a phil fan so dont care either way, i dont like how they look but people with the long putter are just now recently winning after how many years being used? think its just an overreaction right now.

[quote name='Ben B' timestamp='1314321027' post='3519675']
Phil just needs to realize that he needs to move away from a 6 oclock toe hung putter to something a little closer to a face balanced putter.
[/quote]

+1 to that!!!

First off, I hate belly / long putters, but not because I think it's cheating, but because I can't putt w/ them. If they were that easy, everyone would be using them. They are not a magic wand. I can't line up long puts or judge distance with them at all. Just like any other putter, they suit certain people w/ specific putting tendencies. Just not for me. And w/ Phil's short, compact putting stroke, I can't imagine it would be for him either.

I used a Anser / Newport style putter for years and was just sooooo inconsistent. I decided to give up the idea of looking like Tiger out there w/ a sleek blade and after trying a zing / laguna style, move to a face balanced mid mallet putter. I've tried the Futura (as did Phil for a while), the Craz-E, and really ended up falling in love w/ the Red X and the Piper Redwood. The perfect balance of not looking like a space ship, but w/ more face balance and less toe hang. But the biggest difference is that I just flat out putt better with it.

Every time I see Phil lip out one of those little 3 footers, I always think to my self ... "Why is he using that type putter?". And with Phil, it doesn't take much more than that to start the down hill slide.

I'm no Dave Pelz, but IMHO his short, compact putting stroke would mix great w/ a mid mallet style putter. I know he's an Odyssey guy, so my two favorites mentioned above are out, but why not try a Dual Force Rossie II style? Faldo has always putted lights out w/ one.

I too have a short, compact putting stroke and my Red X has worked wonders. Hell, even my dad saw a difference at age 67 after watching me & had me get him one off of ebay. He loves it.

So, before Phil tries a long putter (as I'm sure he gives a $#!t what I think) he should take some advice from Eric The Clown... "Me forget it? You should forget it! You're livin' in the past, man! You're hung up on some (Wilson 8802 style putter) from the sixties, man!!!" and ditch his "Arnie Antique" for something in between the two EXTREMES of putters.

Titleist TS2 Driver (10.5*) w/ Tensei AV Blue (Stiff)

Ping G410 Fairway Wood (16*) w/ Alta CB Red (Stiff)

Titleist TS2 Hybrid (19*) w/ Tensie AV Blue (Stiff)

Srixon Z585 Irons (5-PW) w/ Nippon Modus 3 105 (Stiff)

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge (50*/11) w/ Dynamic Gold 115

Cleveland RTX Zipcord Raw Wedges (54*/10 and 58*/10) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour

Vokey SM6 Black w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour  (62*/8)

Scotty Cameron Futura X5r Putter (34”)

The thread title is intentionally misleading. Not ruling it out in the context of all he said is a long way from debating its use. Having said that, Phil experimenting with anything would never surprise me, so the comments were worth reading. Would have preferred a more accurate title and not trying to stir up a debate on long putters, which is already being beaten to death on here.

A non issue that will not die.

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1314397704' post='3521930']
The thread title is intentionally misleading. Not ruling it out in the context of all he said is a long way from debating its use. Having said that, Phil experimenting with anything would never surprise me, so the comments were worth reading. Would have preferred a more accurate title and not trying to stir up a debate on long putters, which is already being beaten to death on here.

[/quote]

The title of the thread was a question, hence the question mark at the end of it. The creator wasn't saying that Phil IS debating a move to a long putter, he was more "asking" the possibility of it.

I doubt there are any Tour players that would rule out any legal club or ball. Many wouldn`t consider options when they are on top but let them start going through a dry spell for any length of time and they would play anything if it kept them on the tour, you think they are going to sell shoes because they wont use a long putter, I doubt it.

And anybody here that considers golf important and spends a lot of time with the game and deems it part of their lives would play longer putters also if there was no alternative. Look at it this way you wake up one morning and you have the yips you love the game but are no longer competitive, you try the new putter and it works and keeps you in the game. Don`t tell me you`ll give up the game when you have a alternative, you wont.

[quote name='MERCBENZ' timestamp='1314405795' post='3522147']
I doubt there are any Tour players that would rule out any legal club or ball. Many wouldn`t consider options when they are on top but let them start going through a dry spell for any length of time and they would play anything if it kept them on the tour, you think they are going to sell shoes because they wont use a long putter, I doubt it.

And anybody here that considers golf important and spends a lot of time with the game and deems it part of their lives would play longer putters also if there was no alternative. Look at it this way you wake up one morning and you have the yips you love the game but are no longer competitive, you try the new putter and it works and keeps you in the game. Don`t tell me you`ll give up the game when you have a alternative, you wont.
[/quote]

Good point...for most golfers. However, I can't see Tiger Woods ever going to a long putter---even if his putting gets so bad that he 3-putts 15 times in a 4-day tournament. He knows he would look hideous with a long putter and I highly doubt he would ever make the switch to one.

[quote name='Par72' timestamp='1314285182' post='3518337']
[quote name='fireguyfrank58' timestamp='1314284904' post='3518324']
[quote name='Par72' timestamp='1314284785' post='3518313']
[quote name='fireguyfrank58' timestamp='1314284361' post='3518295']
Hard to believe after Bones just had his quote with David F. that they should not be allowed.
[/quote]

You realize Bones works for Phil, not the other way around?

[/quote]

True but as close as they are it just seems unlikey to me.
[/quote]

Its easy to spout off hypothetical opinions when someone (for once) asks you what you think. Why anyone in the media asks caddies for opinions or anything other than hysterical stories is beyond me. I'm pretty sure if a long putter was the way to Phil earning 8 million next season Bones would ok with that.
[/quote]

yes an 8 million year over what has he made this year 2? id take 8 but i do agree with bones i dont like them one because they look stupid, two because they look stupid and three because now i see tons of college kids using them

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1314398508' post='3521947']
[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1314397704' post='3521930']

[/quote]

The title of the thread was a question, hence the question mark at the end of it. The creator wasn't saying that Phil IS debating a move to a long putter, he was more "asking" the possibility of it.
[/quote]

Didn't know his mom was on here.

The title suggests if you read the post or follow the link there is some information supporting asking the question in the first place, thereby manufacturing interest in a nonstory and teasing the reader into following the link. You really don't understand that?

So if he posts, "Is Phil debating hiring new caddie?", you don't click on that expecting something to support it other than completely innocuous comments?

You know your son better than that.

Now, he is a Big Ten guy (more immigrant really because he's from PSU), so must be okay, but his job is to hook folks with the posts, and seems to do it well.

if, as the proponents say, long putters/belly putters greatly assist with putts in the 3ft - 6ft range, then this "fix" is right over the plate for phil.

as others note, he's one of golf's legendary tinkerers.

this year's british must still sting.

it would obviously be big news because he's phil, but it wouldn't shock me. he and keegan bradley are apparently becoming fast friends, so maybe there's some influence there.

and bones' view will prove to be irrelevant.

Didn't know his mom was on here.

The title suggests if you read the post or follow the link there is some information supporting asking the question in the first place, thereby manufacturing interest in a nonstory and teasing the reader into following the link. You really don't understand that?

So if he posts, "Is Phil debating hiring new caddie?", you don't click on that expecting something to support it other than completely innocuous comments?

You know your son better than that.

Now, he is a Big Ten guy (more immigrant really because he's from PSU), so must be okay, but his job is to hook folks with the posts, and seems to do it well.

LOL, keep going so I can keep reading your hilarious posts. cheesy.gif

[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1314406923' post='3522185']
[quote name='MERCBENZ' timestamp='1314405795' post='3522147']

[/quote]

Good point...for most golfers. However, I can't see Tiger Woods ever going to a long putter---even if his putting gets so bad that he 3-putts 15 times in a 4-day tournament. He knows he would look hideous with a long putter and I highly doubt he would ever make the switch to one.
[/quote]

You know you could be right Tiger may be the exception that proves the rule. I dont see him using the long putter but who knows these days, if 10 years ago you told me General Motors would be bankrupt I`d say "it wont happen" hum s==t happens

We certainly care about what we look like. I thought the point of this game was lowest score. This sounds like the guy that hits a wedge 150 just to say he hit driver, pw just to " look" cool. My goal is to get the ball closest to the hole, and make my putts. I could give a damn if I look cool doing it. I don't have a belly putter but do putt cross handed. My playing partners bust my balls about it but I'm making more putts now. If a long putter made me putt better, I'd use it. I hope Phil uses one and starts winning more tournaments. He's an unbelievably talented player, just struggles with the putter.