Joined Up With Someone Really Odd....

Medic

OP, the guy was out of line and didn't want to play with you. I know people with social anxiety and they're odd characters with limited social skills. About ten years back my friends and I played in a muni Men's League where we were paired up with a two-some one night. One of the two was put-off for having to play with us although it was our tee time. We were league rookies and he'd been playing in it for a long time. He complained about everything we did. On the 5th tee box he mishits and raises his voice at us for distracting him and moving in his backswing. I just said to pipe down and lighten up, Francis, you missed the shot, so own it and bring a strong second shot to salvage the hole. He stares at me, I stare back, he moves on and we play a couple of holes in quiet. Bought him a beer when the cart came around and I could sense he felt bad as did we all.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='KE60Ping' timestamp='1391851789' post='8621655']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1391825333' post='8620259']
I'm waiting for the day when 'the other guy' actually shows up in a thread like this and paints his side of the picture. Where are you 'cart guy'?
[/quote]

That's what I was thinking... probably something like "I was out to enjoy a round of golf, so get this, I ask this fellow to wait by the cart as his presence on the tee box with me was simply domineering. He finally obliges, but now I can hear him breathing, constant breathing... I try to tee off, and naturally hit my first shot out of bounds- why? because I hear his heartbeat pounding in anticipation of [b]his[/b] shot! It's always his shot, to the other guy, never [i]my[/i] shot! So I tee up another ball, and by now, his eyes are blinking- LOUDLY! oh yes! but I as the perfect golf gentleman ignore the slams of the giant shutters opening and closing over his staring eyeballs, and attempt another shot,[i] breathing, heartbeats[/i], [i]blinking[/i]!!! How could one enjoy a game with such ludicrous distractions? Then when my second attempt to kindly get the game underway is a failure, he plunges on to the tee box like a gazelle, and expects me to await in the outer areas so that he can take his shot distraction free! As any kind and mild mannered gentleman would at that moment, I announce that under the circumstances which he has created, I have chosen to continue my game on another day, and I thanked him (although it was unnecessary to do so) and politely departed the scene in quiet but determined haste."
[/quote]

Okay, that, right there ^^^^^^ Is one of the funniest things I have read in a long time.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

[quote name='Roody' timestamp='1391865828' post='8622055']
There's a guy at my club whom I got paired up against in the first round of our match play event last year. He hates it when people stand within his peripheral vision (that's how he describes it) when he's teeing off. I quickly found out I have to be standing almost off the tee box in order to appease him. I don't get it, but whatever.
[/quote]

It's funny because I am the same way. I am very lax on the golf course. I mean I don't care if you are walking across the back of the green when I putt. I've even been known to be talking while swinging or stopping a sentence mid way through to swing then finishing after I swing. But for me there is something someone or something being in my line of sight that bugs me. My home course has pretty small tee boxes so to get out of my line of sight you have to basically be standing at the edge of the tee box. It's never really been a issue, I have politely asked people to move once or twice when it was bothering me. It's never been a issue. I get where he is coming from but also think as long as you are being reasonable it shouldn't be a problem. For me, it's basically if I can see the person when I am looking down at the ball to hit than in my mind they are too close.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1391823303' post='8620045']
I don't mind going out as a single. Gives me the opportunity to meet some new golf friends and even if they don't join me up I get to play.

So they set me up with this guy who also showed up as a single and things are going smoothly. He said "if you don't mind I will drive, I am already moved into the cart." Well I didn't care one bit so I moved onto the cart and off we headed to #1. This is when things got a little weird.

We get to the first and I stand up, proceed to pull out my driver, and am completing a little stretching next to the cart. He says "Mind if I take the first honors?" to which I reply "Nope, not at all."

I move onto the tee box well behind him and stand perfectly still. He is lining up his drive and then turns around and says "Would you mind just staying in or next to the cart while I tee off. I find it distracting to have someone else on the tee with me."

Ok...

So I move back over to the cart and he drives one right out of bounds to the right. He then hits another one almost OB and moves to the back of the tee. I figured if I said the same thing to him he might get the point so I ask him "Since you want me near the cart while you are hitting how about you return the favor."

He replies "Well I can see this isn't going to work" and he takes his bag off of the cart and walks off back towards the clubhouse.

I finished playing alone and had a great time. Had not seen him before and I play this course all of the time. And I haven't ever had anyone ask me to "Stay in or near the cart" before. Shadows, movement, and any noise I could understand. Not sure what his real deal was but I was honestly glad we didn't end up playing together. I was about 40 feet behind him by the way - nowhere even close to being in his line of sight. He was just being a DB for some reason. I wonder, if I hadn't told him to return the favor (didn't seem unreasonable given he had asked me to do the same thing) what else he might have done. I guess while he was putting I would have had to wait until he was done putting out before I could come onto the green????

Interesting to say the least.
[/quote]

So you were intentionally confrontational with him and we are expected to believe he is the poor sport in this one?

[quote name='arnold palmtree' timestamp='1392352177' post='8665079']
I don't mind going out as a single. Gives me the opportunity to meet some new golf friends and even if they don't join me up I get to play.

So they set me up with this guy who also showed up as a single and things are going smoothly. He said "if you don't mind I will drive, I am already moved into the cart." Well I didn't care one bit so I moved onto the cart and off we headed to #1. This is when things got a little weird.

We get to the first and I stand up, proceed to pull out my driver, and am completing a little stretching next to the cart. He says "Mind if I take the first honors?" to which I reply "Nope, not at all."

I move onto the tee box well behind him and stand perfectly still. He is lining up his drive and then turns around and says "Would you mind just staying in or next to the cart while I tee off. I find it distracting to have someone else on the tee with me."

Ok...

So I move back over to the cart and he drives one right out of bounds to the right. He then hits another one almost OB and moves to the back of the tee. I figured if I said the same thing to him he might get the point so I ask him "Since you want me near the cart while you are hitting how about you return the favor."

He replies "Well I can see this isn't going to work" and he takes his bag off of the cart and walks off back towards the clubhouse.

I finished playing alone and had a great time. Had not seen him before and I play this course all of the time. And I haven't ever had anyone ask me to "Stay in or near the cart" before. Shadows, movement, and any noise I could understand. Not sure what his real deal was but I was honestly glad we didn't end up playing together. I was about 40 feet behind him by the way - nowhere even close to being in his line of sight. He was just being a DB for some reason. I wonder, if I hadn't told him to return the favor (didn't seem unreasonable given he had asked me to do the same thing) what else he might have done. I guess while he was putting I would have had to wait until he was done putting out before I could come onto the green????

[/quote]

So you were intentionally confrontational with him and we are expected to believe he is the poor sport in this one?
[/quote]

At what point was the OP confrontational? He was more than accommodating from start to finish.

The OP asked the man to return the favor of moving off the tee box and over to the cart while the OP hit. If he is going to ask the OP to move off the tee while he hits, then he darn well better to be ready to do the same. I would go as far as to say this guy should have moved off the tee without being asked since it was such an issue for him. You know, the whole "do unto others" philosophy?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1392433007' post='8671381']

Ok...

[/quote]

[/quote]

At what point was the OP confrontational? He was more than accommodating from start to finish.

The OP asked the man to return the favor of moving off the tee box and over to the cart while the OP hit. If he is going to ask the OP to move off the tee while he hits, then he darn well better to be ready to do the same. I would go as far as to say this guy should have moved off the tee without being asked since it was such an issue for him. You know, the whole "do unto others" philosophy?
[/quote]

This more passive aggressive than anything. If the guy on the tee box doesn't bother you why are you going to make him move as "payback" for asking you to move?

[quote name='arnold palmtree' timestamp='1392444052' post='8672365']

This more passive aggressive than anything. If the guy on the tee box doesn't bother you why are you going to make him move as "payback" for asking you to move?
[/quote]

But Arnold, you are assuming that his presence didn't disturb me on the tee box. After what he said it did.

Ironically your assumption and post-in-reply made you are guilty as you implied I was - of being passive aggressive. Mine was in-person (takes some measure of courage and conviction) and yours was online. (anonymous fearlessness)

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Don W' timestamp='1391828542' post='8620621']
That's pretty wacky.

Once played with a threesome w/me a single, two guys totally normal other guy refused to even read his line until my ball was marked and I was completely off the green no matter where my ball was on the green it was "tooooo distracting". So next hole I dug out the biggest marker I had in my bag which wasn't very big and soon as I put it down he told me if I didn't mark with a penny there might be issues. One of the other guys came over and gave me a penny to mark with and said he's an ok guy just put up with this nonsense and anything else is a non issue. He hadn't said word one to me up to this point other than mark my ball and get off the green, after I put down the bright marker he got the hint and actually came over and apologized about being such a head case when putting and we had a nice round from there on. Turned out he was an okay guy, little gruff and winy in general but who isn't some days.
[/quote]

He would love me ... I use one of those Mondo Markers. I got it in Bandon Dunes and, by God, I'm going to use it. The guys I play with call it a hubcap. I've since ordered the blinking light kit for it.

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

As a single I got paired with a couple of guys. On # 1 one of the guys sticks his peg in the ground ... It had a string attached to it and a second tee that was placed 6 inches away. I had to comment. He said that he never lost tees with this little gizmo. He thought I really liked it so he reached in his bag and presented one to me. If I take that out on Saturday morning, I would justifiably incur a little harassment from the guys. I should put it on eBay.

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

[quote name='KLeC' timestamp='1392497294' post='8675207']
[quote name='Don W' timestamp='1391828542' post='8620621']
That's pretty wacky.

Once played with a threesome w/me a single, two guys totally normal other guy refused to even read his line until my ball was marked and I was completely off the green no matter where my ball was on the green it was "tooooo distracting". So next hole I dug out the biggest marker I had in my bag which wasn't very big and soon as I put it down he told me if I didn't mark with a penny there might be issues. One of the other guys came over and gave me a penny to mark with and said he's an ok guy just put up with this nonsense and anything else is a non issue. He hadn't said word one to me up to this point other than mark my ball and get off the green, after I put down the bright marker he got the hint and actually came over and apologized about being such a head case when putting and we had a nice round from there on. Turned out he was an okay guy, little gruff and winy in general but who isn't some days.
[/quote]

He would love me ... I use one of those Mondo Markers. I got it in Bandon Dunes and, by God, I'm going to use it. The guys I play with call it a hubcap. I've since ordered the blinking light kit for it.
[/quote]

Awesome!

I use a large challenge coin from a class at National Fire Academy - and it often gets called a hubcap. They always make fun when I place it making noises like there is an earthquake and stuff. I was wondering the same thing but of course we didn't make it that far. But could you imagine his reaction to that one or yours?

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1392487742' post='8674317']

[/quote]

But Arnold, you are assuming that his presence didn't disturb me on the tee box. After what he said it did.

Ironically your assumption and post-in-reply made you are guilty as you implied I was - of being passive aggressive. Mine was in-person (takes some measure of courage and conviction) and yours was online. (anonymous fearlessness)
[/quote]

You clearly don't understand what passive aggressive means.

You didn't say anything to him for asking you to move. Instead you approached the subject by asking him to move when it was your time to hit. That is the epitome of passive aggressive behavior.

It has nothing to do with real life vs the internet.

[quote name='arnold palmtree' timestamp='1392510665' post='8676421']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You didn't say anything to him for asking you to move. Instead you approached the subject by asking him to move when it was your time to hit. That is the epitome of passive aggressive behavior.

[/quote]

Wow thanks so much. I feel somehow enriched now. Feel better? Great!
Love to stick around and post some more replies to you but I have to go and block you now. You are being too passively aggressive towards me.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

As odd as the guy was I think everyone gets paired up with someone who they don't "mesh" with now and then. I was paired up with a guy this past summer who always, and I mean always went first. If he was at his ball he was going to hit it. He was not going anywhere - we were log jammed behind a bunch of members so no need to hurry. What was really funny was how he would wait near the pin after he had finished out and if my ball got within 2 feet he would hit it back to me and say "That one's good."

When we were waiting on one tee on the front I asked him if he was in a hurry for some reason and he admitted that he was. (Sure, I know my question must have been "passive aggressive" but still just had to ask given how he was rushing things; guess being "passive aggressive" is in my nature, at least according to some of the Freud wanna be members around here) Anywho, he says to me that he loves playing fast and hoped I didn't mind. I told him I didn't - but just didn't want to hit towards him. (He would go onto the green when I was still about 100 yards out and wait at the green) I even asked him if he wanted to try to play through as a single since he had his own personal cart and he declined. Was really odd to say the least. He could not go anywhere but was determined to get there really fast. Guess he was "faster aggressive".

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Ok...

[/quote]
I was wondering where Mac O'Grady had been hiding out. I guess now we know.........

Callaway 2015 Great Big Bertha 10.5
Callaway Great Big Bertha ll 3W & 5W
Callaway Steelhead lll 9 wood 
Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4/E
Cleveland 588 TA 51* & 56* 
Ray Cook Blue Goose 

Ok...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hahaha....are you for real??? The weirdo asking another golfer to move completely off the tee box and 20 yards away to a cart so he can have the entire golf course to himself is just fine with you?

I would ABSOLUTELY ask him to do the same. I really shouldn't even have to ask, he should just do it on his own. You see, consideration works both ways. If this nut job is going to make ridiculous requests then he should go out of his way to ensure others are completely comfortable. But all he cared about was HIMSELF.

Should everyone have to coddle him because he's a sensitive little freak? He gets to make unusal requests and we just do whatever he asks just so he can be comfortable? What about everyone else???

We are breeding a nation on hyper-sensitive whiners.

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1392517936' post='8677067']

Ok...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hahaha....are you for real??? The weirdo asking another golfer to move completely off the tee box and 20 yards away to a cart so he can have the entire golf course to himself is just fine with you?

I would ABSOLUTELY ask him to do the same. I really shouldn't even have to ask, he should just do it on his own. You see, consideration works both ways. If this nut job is going to make ridiculous requests then he should go out of his way to ensure others are completely comfortable. But all he cared about was HIMSELF.

Should everyone have to coddle him because he's a sensitive little freak? He gets to make unusal requests and we just do whatever he asks just so he can be comfortable? What about everyone else???

We are breeding a nation on hyper-sensitive whiners.
[/quote]

I wasn't there and can't comment on the behavior of the individual you are talking about.

The only information I can trust is the stated actions of the OP and how he reacted to my post.

One dawn patrol morning my buddy and I were at the 1st tee ready to go at our weekly battle. A single comes up in a cart (we are walker rain or shine) and asks to join us. The guys was kinda weird no emotions perhaps suffering from Aspergers. Well In an attempt to scare him off I mentioned he can join us but we were playing $10 a hole. (Actually the standing bet is $5 to break 80 and $1 per hole for continuous GIR pars, we are 5 handis). Well the chump accepts and joins. He ties us with a par on 1 and then chops his way to a double on 2. As we made our way to 3 the guy mentions that he has no cash and would we take a check!

Tinuke
913 d-3 980F (17)
J33B 3-P
Gearhart 52
T.P. Mills SS Softail wide flange mini
Hogan Special SI

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't agree that was the epitome of passive aggressive behavior. But whatever you want to call it, the real issue here is, was it wrong to deal a 'payback' by requesting that the weirdo do the same as his original request?

The answer is: NO.

[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1391882771' post='8623727']
We had an old guy in our golf league who was like this, and I'm also in the occasional scramble with another guy who does this. I also don't indulge them if it inconveniences me. I'll follow normal etiquette but I'm not going to walk 30+ ft away everytime it's your shot. [b]The pros hit shots with people SURROUNDING them.[/b] I think a normal golfer should be able to deal with three guys standing 15 ft away and standing still.
[/quote]Yeah, and they stand [b]IN FRONT[/b] of Bubba. You wanna try that with me? Everyone here is so fond of reminding us hackers that we aren't Tiger, but then when they try the distraction-intimidation thing on the public links they all of a sudden want to hold us to the British Open standard. You can't have it both ways. Be a d*ck at your own risk.

[quote name='Upgrayedd' timestamp='1392649769' post='8685965']
[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1391882771' post='8623727']
We had an old guy in our golf league who was like this, and I'm also in the occasional scramble with another guy who does this. I also don't indulge them if it inconveniences me. I'll follow normal etiquette but I'm not going to walk 30+ ft away everytime it's your shot. [b]The pros hit shots with people SURROUNDING them.[/b] I think a normal golfer should be able to deal with three guys standing 15 ft away and standing still.
[/quote]Yeah, and they stand [b]IN FRONT[/b] of Bubba. You wanna try that with me? Everyone here is so fond of reminding us hackers that we aren't Tiger, but then when they try the distraction-intimidation thing on the public links they all of a sudden want to hold us to the British Open standard. You can't have it both ways. Be a d*ck at your own risk.
[/quote]

Whoa! First off, I'm a hacker too. Secondly, I definitely don't do any kind of intimidation tactics while playing golf. I just stand there about the same distance I see 95% of all golfers stand when someone is teeing off, 5 steps or so. In all my time playing with what must be hundreds and hundreds of different people, my two examples were the only two people I've had complain, and it wasn't just directed at me, EVERYONE complains about the extreme requests of these two individuals. Wow!!

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1392645514' post='8685583']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't agree that was the epitome of passive aggressive behavior. But whatever you want to call it, the real issue here is, was it wrong to deal a 'payback' by requesting that the weirdo do the same as his original request?

The answer is: NO.
[/quote]

Being a bigger person is part of being an adult.

It's absolutely wrong to intentional antagonize someone.

So its okay to be a hypocrite and not do what you expect others to do??

PXG Bat Attack H