The $5000 TaylorMade SLDR Guarantee - 20 GolfWRXers. 4 Locations. Details here!

I know the people were already selected but I thought I'd throw my reasoning out there. My sldr numbers are not better than Titleist driver because the weight on the sldr slows my swing speed down 3 mph compared to the Titleist. I can't get them to lower the head weight, so all things even the Titleist is better. Of course at the Kingdom they may be able to make a custom head to my club head speed up with Titleist.

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1396053614' post='8972031']
[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1396049165' post='8971613']
[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1396046169' post='8971309']
So, what's the OEM breakdown for the guys that were selected?

TM?
Ping?
Titleist?
Callaway?
Etc..
[/quote]

Ummm, TM for me
[/quote]

Which driver are you bringing?!

I am so happy that you are going :). As I recall you couldn't quite dial in the SLDR with lie angle etc... I hope they build you one for the ages.

In addition - thank you for your contributions over the years. I can thank you and Metalhead for opening up my equipment world back in the day... You are a true pioneer!
[/quote]

Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words, a bit taken back by them.

Well if we opened up your club world, you have since traveled the club world like very few have. Your contribution on here are well respected because you tell like it is and are non bias.

Yes it was true that I tried very hard to dial my SLDR's (SLDR's please note) and kick my gamer out of the bag. I guess someone else will be trying super hard now! More power to em if they do so because I am pretty confident in my ability to fit myself correctly and other too, but then again they do this for a living and I only wish I did it for a living!

It will be fun for sure and as you know, once there you are family!

On what I am bringing.... Ummm, I might sneak in my ST Oban Devo combo, my JetSpeed PX combo, my SLDR head, and for sure my R11s DI 6 combo.

Really, the ST Devo is just as good as the R11s for me and I am intrigued by the JS PX combo but have very little time with it as I just got it a few days before the invite.

[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1395398741' post='8916583']
[u][b]March 28: Part 2 of the SLDR Guarantee for GolfWRX[/b][/u]

Well, the lucky 20 GolfWRX members are set and all are excited to visit TaylorMade Performance labs around the county. They have their doubts about the SLDR driver and TaylorMade is out to prove them wrong. Now an apples-to-apples driver comparison is fun, but TaylorMade is prepared to put their money where their mouth is...literally. Check out this short video.

That's right. TaylorMade is putting up $5000 cash at each location. For every yard a GolfWRX members driver beats SLDR, they'll earn $25. For every yard SLDR beast the GolfWRXer's driver, they'll earn $25.

Get ready! Look for a thread next Friday where we cover the results LIVE on GolfWRX.

Lets see who earns the most!

[u][b]March 21: Original Announcement Below[/b][/u]
[color=#b22222][size=6][b]APPLICATION PERIOD HAS ENDED. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY.[/b][/size][/color]

Today, TaylorMade Golf launched its SLDR Guarantee campaign nationwide. If you buy the SLDR Driver anytime today through June and you don’t love the new distance, TaylorMade will give you your money back. You can't really beat that.....or can you?

TaylorMade knows that GolfWRX members are different. You want to see through the marketing. You analyze every inch of every club. You want to know the full tech story behind everything. Some of you have tried the SLDR and love it. Some like it. [u]This event is not for you.[/u] Watch this short video for the full message for us from TaylorMade's Tom Kroll.

TaylorMade wants GolfWRX members who are skeptics, the non-believes and the doubters of low, forward CG design that powers the SLDR driver to take this challenge. 20 GolfWRX members will be flown to 4 different TaylorMade Performance Labs across the country. Each will be fit for SLDR and test their driver head-to-head with TaylorMade's flagship big stick.

[color=#b22222][b]LOCATIONS[/b][/color][list]
[*]The Jim Flick Kingdom, Carlsbad, CA
[*]TMPL at Gleneagles, near Dallas, TX
[*]TMPL at TPC Sawgrass, near Jacksonville, FL
[*]The Kingdom at Reynolds, near Atlanta, GA
[/list]
[color=#b22222][b]DATE[/b][/color]
April 4, 2014 - Look for the LIVE thread
[size=2](trip will be April 3-5 for attendees and include a round of golf as well)[/size]

How will they ensure the results are fair? Data. Cold hard numbers. Launch monitors will be used in each location to ensure similar swings and prevent sandbagging. GolfWRX will have reps at each location and we'll cover it live for you.

[color=#b22222][b]THE WRINKLE[/b][/color]
There is an extra wrinkle to this challenge coming soon. Attendees will find out soon enough so stay tuned.

[color=#b22222][b]THE ATTENDEES[/b][/color]
When you're looking for skeptics, it's hard to post and trip thread and get pure honesty. What about those who just want a free trip? In order to prevent that, we're sending out invites to 15 members via PM today who have previous posted their doubts and criticisms about SLDR. They'll be announced soon.

[color=#b22222][b]5 SPOTS OPEN (HOW TO ENTER)[/b][/color]
Having said that, we also believe the general membership should have a chance to attend, provided they are a skeptic, doubter or hater. So do you want to attend? Do you doubt the SLDR technology? Enter below. Give us your best reasons why you think you should attend (no lying!) and we'll pick 5 shortly.[list]
[*]Handicap: 8
[*]Location: Carlsbad
[*]Reason why you should attend: I am your classic high spin player. Tinkerer. continually looking for the driver that will lower my 3800 RPM spin rate. I think I have been through 12 different drivers and keep lowering the loft and stiffening the shaft. These have led to many bad habits. I NEED HELP!
[*]Current driver set-up: Callaway Xhot 9 degree stiff, draw and lower loft setting.
[/list]
GO!
[/quote]

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1396047076' post='8971417']
[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1396043681' post='8971123']
[quote name='chickenpotpie' timestamp='1396034684' post='8970295']
[quote name='deck' timestamp='1396029212' post='8969687']
[quote name='HipCheck' timestamp='1396028204' post='8969521']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1396022061' post='8968823']
It's $25 for every yard gained or loss - stop reading into it - those are the rules - Black and White
[/quote]

I know, right?

We'll even make sure the apples have the same length stem for the sticklers :)
[/quote]

Love this post. You sir deserve a like for this even though you are not allowed any
[/quote]

Will they be the same color too? LOL
[/quote]

Yes. And same family. Granny Smith V. Honeycrisp is just unfair!
[/quote]

Thats a toss up. Being from Syracuse Apple season is taken seriously....very seriosuly.
[/quote]

West Genessee alum here buddy!!! I agree. It's very serious. Have to compare apples to apples. Needs to be the right kind

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

Pink Lady thrown in really screws it all up...Strawberry-Kiwi Apple!! DAMN!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Possibly the coolest shootout EVER! Great crew, and now I'm really interested in the results!! :partytime2:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Nice Deck!! Liverpool class of '92! My cousin played lacrosse for West Genny back in the 80's. They do go overboard here with the apples. Apple festivals. Apple picking. Apple cider. But it is a good time.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1396098769' post='8974023']
Nice Deck!! Liverpool class of '92! My cousin played lacrosse for West Genny back in the 80's. They do go overboard here with the apples. Apple festivals. Apple picking. Apple cider. But it is a good time.
[/quote]

There is nothing like apple season in upstate/western NY. I grew up in buffalo and apple season/fall was always my favorite. Gotta love apple donuts!

TM R9 460 TP 10.5* Matrix TP7HD X
                TM R9 TP 15* Motore F1 S
                TM TP 19* & 22* Rescue VooDoo S
                TM TP 2009 5-PW Project X 6.0
                WITB Link
                Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant 34"
                TM TP '09 54 & 58

[quote name='cadman88' timestamp='1396284651' post='8987333']
Apples to apples.. meaning same exact shaft as current with same length, flex, and tipping..?
[/quote]

Most likely not. Super tricked out state of the art custom fitting vs. whatever you got. Those that bring a driver that is absolutely custom fit and dialed in for them will be the best comparos IMO

It would be nice if they could start everyone out with as close to their current set-up as possible and see those results. Then go ahead and fit them as only the Kingdom can to try and get everyone the most they can out of it. Everyone in this game is looking for more yards and I hope everyone gets some. I'm still not convinced we will see all 20 do better though no matter how much magic dust the Kingdom can sprinkle on em.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

So what's the deal? This is going on in a couple days, is this going to be like the Callawrx trips and the guys are live blogging the fitting?

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1396292724' post='8988405']
So what's the deal? This is going on in a couple days, is this going to be like the Callawrx trips and the guys are live blogging the fitting?
[/quote]

that is what it sounds like to me but so far it is still all a mystery...I have no finger nails left!

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1396292724' post='8988405']
[/quote]

Suppose to be a live feed here on WRX sometime on the 4th

Cobra F9 3 wood
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Load up on the Alleve and tape boys, all except the youngin's might need it!. I know I would have to go stocked up LOL!! I saw some mighty blisters from someone on the last trip. Lotta ball pounding will go on.

Cobra F9 3 wood
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Here comes the boom. So Pumped

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1396294075' post='8988549']
Load up on the Alleve and tape boys, all except the youngin's might need it!. I know I would have to go stocked up LOL!! I saw some mighty blisters from someone on the last trip. Lotta ball pounding will go on.
[/quote]

This is so true.....TM better get it right early because as the day goes on, so does the swing. Luck for me I hit 500 plus balls a week and up to 200 a day at times.

[quote name='jwo' timestamp='1396290219' post='8988071']
[quote name='cadman88' timestamp='1396284651' post='8987333']
Apples to apples.. meaning same exact shaft as current with same length, flex, and tipping..?
[/quote]

Most likely not. Super tricked out state of the art custom fitting vs. whatever you got. Those that bring a driver that is absolutely custom fit and dialed in for them will be the best comparos IMO

It would be nice if they could start everyone out with as close to their current set-up as possible and see those results. Then go ahead and fit them as only the Kingdom can to try and get everyone the most they can out of it. Everyone in this game is looking for more yards and I hope everyone gets some. I'm still not convinced we will see all 20 do better though no matter how much magic dust the Kingdom can sprinkle on em.
[/quote]

My current gamer is a R11s GD DI 6 Stiff.....I have little interest with starting out testing the SLDR with the same shaft, length and tipping because to me a good fitter knows that these two heads are different and he knows by the numbers and by watching you if you have a good fit or not. He should be gather the numbers from my current gamer and go from there in his attempt to better my current set up. Then it's game on for the SLDR Challenge.

As for magic dust, they are offering $25 per yard either way so if it happens, it happens.

I think this is a great marketing tool for TM, and I love that manufacturers are involved with WRX. That being said I think that this idea misses the whole point for me. I would much rather hit my nike 270 in the fairway than 300 into the trees. I personally think that the most realistic way to do this would be to do something similar to Big Break's driving competitions. Distance minus yards off center line. That way testers aren't getting an over-inflated sense of performance. Obviously a custom fit driver is going to be a big help in this respect, but I still don't understand how the +X number of yards is supposed to appeal to people past the "WOW" factor. Is it workable? Is it forgiving? Is it accurate? I want to know where the ball is going, not just how far from where I'm standing.

EDIT: I have hit the Japanese 430 SLDR and I thought it was a very good driver. I was commenting on the marketing technique, not the specific piece of equipment.

Cobra Bio Cell Plus
913 Fd Fubuki K 70S
913 HD 21*
5-PW Tourstage GR X-Blade Forged
Mizuno MP T4 52,56,60
White Hot Versa #9

Forgive me if this has been asked/ answered already... will this impact the participant's amateur status at all?

Sent from my iPhone using GolfWRX Mobile

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Me at the office: Grips club, waggles it, puts club down. Eats a bagel, hits some putts...rinse and repeat!

Getting NOTHING done today and tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='stk13' timestamp='1396348348' post='8992855']
I think this is a great marketing tool for TM, and I love that manufacturers are involved with WRX. That being said I think that this idea misses the whole point for me. I would much rather hit my nike 270 in the fairway than 300 into the trees. I personally think that the most realistic way to do this would be to do something similar to Big Break's driving competitions. Distance minus yards off center line. That way testers aren't getting an over-inflated sense of performance. Obviously a custom fit driver is going to be a big help in this respect, but I still don't understand how the +X number of yards is supposed to appeal to people past the "WOW" factor. Is it workable? Is it forgiving? Is it accurate? I want to know where the ball is going, not just how far from where I'm standing.

EDIT: I have hit the Japanese 430 SLDR and I thought it was a very good driver. I was commenting on the marketing technique, not the specific piece of equipment.
[/quote]

I like the Big Break idea and it makes sense.......but I would refined that idea that is a competition to a reality.

I would walk back the distance from any ball "off the fairway" and not from a stripe in the middle of it. The middle strip makes it a competition between players which this is not. In the real world hitting the fairway with distance is what counts but more often then not we can live with just off the fairway too, otherwise we would be there all day doing this BB style, because we would be attempting to hit that special drive with way to many combinations.