Why do guys say the G25 driver and fairways are high spin?

I recently purchased a G25 driver a few weeks ago and now have a couple of rounds under my belt with it. I have a 9.5 head with a tour stiff ping shaft in it. I seem to hit this things great. No ballooning, I get some roll out after, no real issues. I have been a spiny player in the past and have had trouble keeping drivers sub 3000 rpm's. This guy is working just fine for me though. I have a ss of 108 and hit down on the ball with my driver slightly.

Are guys talking about side spin?

The fairways are so easy to hit and get up in the air. It's like all you need to do is get decent contact.

I'm waiting for my G25 17* hybrid to come in now. Hopefully that will be as good as the rest of the line up..

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
9.6* G Driver -------------------------------------------------------- Fujikura Pro 61 XLR8 Tour
13.6* G Stretch 3 Wood ------------------------------------------ Fujikura Speeder Pro 73 XLR8 Tour
18* 9031 Super Proto Hybrid ----------------------------------- Diamana 82 HY
4 - GW 716 T-MB Irons(4 2* & 5 1* strong) ----------------- KBS Tour V
56 (Bent to 55*) & 60 Mac Daddy PM Grind Wedges----- KBS Tour V Wedge
Ping Cadence Anser 2 Counter Balanced
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because its cool for them to pretend that they need an ultra low spin shaft/ head combo instead of addressing the flipping the have through impact. Seriously you would think most everyone who buys drivers these days has a 120mph as and tour level launch issues bit the reality is most have a swing flaw. Just ask the used car salesman at my local golf galaxy my opinion when he tried to tell me the benefits of the latest greatest "low spin bomber".

I'll just sit back now and wait for the hate mail :)

Because they are! I've tried almost every shaft with my g25 and the all launched to high. I went right back to my adams fast 12ls and the flight and spin are both lower.

Cobra Fly Z+ 10* Aldila ATX Tour Blue 75x
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* AD DI 8X
Titleist 913FD 18* AD DI 8x
Taylormade UDI 20* or Titleist 913H 21* AD DI 105x
Ping S55 4-PW Nippon Modus 130s
Callaway PM (custom sole grind) 53*,60* DG S400
Byron Morgan DH89

i play a 10.5 g25 with an ad di 7x and the launch isnt that high at all and it gets a good amount roll. its a rocket and gets the ball out there but this may be one of the heads where the loft is less than stated. i have a cobra zl 10.5 with the same shaft and it launches much higher. i dont remember the exact numbers but hitting the g25 and i25 in pga ss with the stock x flex shafts, the g25 spin was around 2800 and i 25 3300

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb

Played the G25 with lots of success the past year. Yes, the spin was in mid 3000's, but it was pretty straight. I just demo'd the SLDR and it immediately dropped my spin to the low 2000's even with the stock shaft.
Yes, the G25 IS higher spin. It is a great driver though...

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

It is definitely higher spin than other heads like the SLDR. But that doesn't mean it's broken. I hit it a little than some other drivers, might get a little more balloon in the wind and might not be maximizing distance, but I am out of play far less often.

@MackDaddyMike if you haven't tried the G25 with the Speeder 7.2 TS, you really should. Most amazing shaft I have ever hit in regards to reducing spin and launch. Worth every penny

G25 8.5* - Speeder TS 7.2x
RBZ Stage2 TS - Black Tie 8M3x
Anser 17* - SteelFiber 95x
J40 CB 4-PW - ss X100
J15 54/58
TM Spider Mallet

[quote name='MacDaddyMike' timestamp='1395549111' post='8929281']
Because they are! I've tried almost every shaft with my g25 and the all launched to high. I went right back to my adams fast 12ls and the flight and spin are both lower.
[/quote]I didn't say high launch though. I agree they are high launch. Just not high spin. Whats wrong with launching your driver high? Can't you also flight it down by moving the ball position slightly and teeing it down a little?

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
9.6* G Driver -------------------------------------------------------- Fujikura Pro 61 XLR8 Tour
13.6* G Stretch 3 Wood ------------------------------------------ Fujikura Speeder Pro 73 XLR8 Tour
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1395551019' post='8929379']
Played the G25 with lots of success the past year. Yes, the spin was in mid 3000's, but it was pretty straight. I just demo'd the SLDR and it immediately dropped my spin to the low 2000's even with the stock shaft.
[/quote]The weird thing is that it's actually listed as a low spin high launch driver on Pings website.

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

Guess I am just old school, if ballflight suits your eye, getting good results, why be concerned at all on others opinion of spin? Every player presents ever so slightly (and sometimes drastically) differently, club works for you and obviously works well in various forms for many on tour. Not trying to give you a hard time, just see too many get concerned with numbers on a monitor when should care about number on scorecard.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='fairwaysroverated' timestamp='1395551732' post='8929417']
[/quote]The weird thing is that it's actually listed as a low spin high launch driver on Pings website.
[/quote]

You won't find many OEM's listing their driver as high spin though. That won't sell.

You notice how PING uses low, Medium low and very low. They could have easily used high, medium and low but no one is going to buy something that is perceived to be high spin.

Driver - TBD
3 Wood - TBD
5 Wood - Mizuno MX700, PF v2
4-PW - Adams CMB, C-Taper
Wedges - Mizuno T4 52/58, S400
Putter - Odyssey Versa #7, SS 3.0
Ball - TF Gamer

[quote name='fairwaysroverated' timestamp='1395551612' post='8929413']
[/quote]I didn't say high launch though. I agree they are high launch. Just not high spin. Whats wrong with launching your driver high? Can't you also flight it down by moving the ball position slightly and teeing it down a little?
[/quote]

I'm not saying it's a bad driver! The G25 is one of the straightest drivers I owned. But it's also one of the shortest drivers I tried compared to the Anser, SLDR, Fast 12LS, and Cleveland Classic.

Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='Cochese23' timestamp='1395551095' post='8929383']
It is definitely higher spin than other heads like the SLDR. But that doesn't mean it's broken. I hit it a little than some other drivers, might get a little more balloon in the wind and might not be maximizing distance, but I am out of play far less often.

@MackDaddyMike if you haven't tried the G25 with the Speeder 7.2 TS, you really should. Most amazing shaft I have ever hit in regards to reducing spin and launch. Worth every penny
[/quote]

I will definitely give it a try!! I still have my G25 head and a ping adaptor :)

Byron Morgan DH89

[/quote]

+1 on the G25 + Speeder 7.2 TS Combo

Ping G30 LST 9* Rouge Silver 70
Cobra LTD Fairway Kuro Kage Silver TiNi
Ping Anser 17* TFC 800H
Ping S55 3-PW Modus3 125
Ping Glide 54 SS, 60 ES
Odyssey Works Versa #1 Wide

It's been said many times on here and like it was mentioned above by buckeyefl : If you have a decent swing the G25 is definitely low spinning. Add a lower spinning shaft into the right G25 head and you get one of the longest drivers you can buy. It's also the most forgiving driver available. There's a reason the majority of the PING tour staff bag the G25 but unfortunately most people on this site feel they're giving up something that is considered a "game improvement" club. Like somehow it's costing them yards or effecting bragging rights on the tee box. My G25/Ahina combo is longer, lower spinning, and far more forgiving than any SLDR combo I've ever tried. If the G25 is spinning too much you've either got the wrong shaft, your swing is at fault, or it's the combo of the two.

While I understand the G25 may not be for everyone it's a very versatile and low spinning club that definitely fits a very wide range of golfers from tour pro's to weekend hackers. To say it's high spin is just plain wrong.

Taylormade M2 9.5* @ 7.5* Rogue 110 Silver 60x
Taylormade M2 15* VTS Red 75x
Ping Rapture DI 18* VTS Silver 85x
Ping S55 3-PW PX Flighted 6.0
Ping Glide 52* SS & Glide 58* SS
Ping Anser Milled #6 35"

I'm with Mitchell. I play an Anser over the G25. For NO solid technical reasons. I like the head shape. I like the ball flight and I like the way the ball moves off that head. I tried the G25 with six different shafts when it came out. Same ones I tried in the Anser. I do get a bit more distance out of the Anser but... All that aside, if I had to give up the Anser and play a G25 I'd be fine. It's a great driver. FWIW, I'm certainly no expert.

I played the G25 driver for a brief time and would say it is high launch/mid spin. Spin was in the low 3,000's for me with the standard TFC X flex shaft. The forgiveness was great but it launched too high and spun a little too much for me to keep playing. Also the feel off the face was hard and it produced a pretty loud sound.

Titleist 915 D3 7.75*
Ping I20 17* Hybrid
Ping I20 20* Hybrid
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW
Ben Hogan Tk15 50*, 54*, 58*
Ping Scottsdale TR Shea H

When I first tried out a G25 driver (that I ended up buying) at the time I was playing a G15 driver. The salesman at Edwin Watts said the G25 would be slightly lower spin and also more forgiving than the G15. Those numbers seemed to be backed up on their launch monitor, although since the lofts were different I couldn't say for sure. But the G25 gave me a bit higher launch angle (couple tenths of a degree) and slightly lower spin (couple hundred rpm) than most drivers of similar loft.

So in my extremely limited, slow swinging experience it's more of a low-spin than high-spin clubhead. Maybe. I think.

Definitely very forgiving.

[/quote]

theres something in your swing causing this overly high trajectory. Then when you go use you 8* x-stiff combo, you have to make the "hit it high move" to get the ball off the ground and ingraining it in your swing.

R11s 9.0*
i20 2& 4-u
CG16 54*
SM5 58*
Eye 2 62*

I think G25 is one of those drivers that can be specd to anybody I've had some of the lowest spin numbers with the G25, I've had some 1700- 1900 but when I get crazy with my hands those numbers go up like they would with any driver. The best factor about this club is the performance is consistent across the whole face, so even if it did spin more I'll take 265 and straight rather than 285 and in the trees anyday

It's the most widely used driver by the PING staffers, so it must be producing numbers acceptable for them.

The G25 is the lowest spinning G series to date. I wouldn't categorize it as a "high spin" driver. Higher than i25 and Anser, yes. But definitely not a high spin driver.

PING 430 Max 10.5 
PING G430 Max 18.5 
PING G430 Max 20.5 
PING i230 4-W DGS300 120
PING Glide 4.0, 50SS / 54SS / 58SS
Axis 1 Joey

The Ping guys on tour don't seem to have in issue with the spin in the G series, same with the Titleist guys. It may be a higher spin head but everyone knows its the swing that matters. The forgiveness comes from having a bit more spin than a club like the sldr. Check out bst it would appear people are giving them away there are so many for sale.

[quote name='Todai' timestamp='1395558371' post='8929659']

[/quote]

+1 on the G25 + Speeder 7.2 TS Combo
[/quote]
I would also try a 7M3 in it if you are interested in the 7.2 combo. I found it to be longer, just as low, and a lot cheaper! I did a head to head last year with a Speeder 7.2 TS, Fuel TS, and Matrix 7M3. The 7.2 TS was the straightest but shortest. The Fuel TS and 7M3 were VERY similar with the very very slight edge going to the 7M3.

PXG Black Ops Swing Balance Yellow
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus Red 8X

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8X

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

G25 is not a high spin head but I wouldn't classify it as low spin either. In my personal experience some of the lowest spin combos I've ever had are the R1 and SLDRs with the Fuji TS 6.2 shafts. I have a G25, Anser, SLDR and R1. The TM heads are longer due to the much lower spin factor. The R1& SLDR are neck and neck followed by the G25 and then the Anser. The Anser is a 10.5 head which puts it behind the eight ball from the start. Flat out it just hits too high with too much spin.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='golf1931' timestamp='1395582105' post='8930417']
[/quote]

theres something in your swing causing this overly high trajectory. Then when you go use you 8* x-stiff combo, you have to make the "hit it high move" to get the ball off the ground and ingraining it in your swing.
[/quote]

I'm saying the G25 launched higher and spun more then any other driver I tried. It wouldn't be my swing because the other drivers I tried launched lower and spun a lot less for me.

Byron Morgan DH89

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1395552186' post='8929435']
Guess I am just old school, if ballflight suits your eye, getting good results, why be concerned at all on others opinion of spin? Every player presents ever so slightly (and sometimes drastically) differently, club works for you and obviously works well in various forms for many on tour. Not trying to give you a hard time, just see too many get concerned with numbers on a monitor when should care about number on scorecard.
[/quote]I'm not concerned with how others view this driver. Not looking for people to see things as I see them. Just wondering how other get to that conclusion is all. Just a question to bring up some conversation.

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

[quote name='freddyottawa' timestamp='1395552625' post='8929453']
[quote name='fairwaysroverated' timestamp='1395551732' post='8929417']
[/quote]

You won't find many OEM's listing their driver as high spin though. That won't sell.

You notice how PING uses low, Medium low and very low. They could have easily used high, medium and low but no one is going to buy something that is perceived to be high spin.
[/quote]Yeah, thats a good point. Can't argue with that one much.

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

[quote name='MacDaddyMike' timestamp='1395553984' post='8929517']
[quote name='fairwaysroverated' timestamp='1395551612' post='8929413']
[/quote]

I'm not saying it's a bad driver! The G25 is one of the straightest drivers I owned. But it's also one of the shortest drivers I tried compared to the Anser, SLDR, Fast 12LS, and Cleveland Classic.
[/quote]The answer was a beast for me. I wish I still had that guy. I don't know if you can even order them anymore.

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi

[quote name='ekimox' timestamp='1395562110' post='8929729']
It's been said many times on here and like it was mentioned above by buckeyefl : If you have a decent swing the G25 is definitely low spinning. Add a lower spinning shaft into the right G25 head and you get one of the longest drivers you can buy. It's also the most forgiving driver available. There's a reason the majority of the PING tour staff bag the G25 but unfortunately most people on this site feel they're giving up something that is considered a "game improvement" club. Like somehow it's costing them yards or effecting bragging rights on the tee box. My G25/Ahina combo is longer, lower spinning, and far more forgiving than any SLDR combo I've ever tried. If the G25 is spinning too much you've either got the wrong shaft, your swing is at fault, or it's the combo of the two.

While I understand the G25 may not be for everyone it's a very versatile and low spinning club that definitely fits a very wide range of golfers from tour pro's to weekend hackers. To say it's high spin is just plain wrong.
[/quote]After playing mine I have to agree with this statement. At one time it was a high spin driver for me, but after lessons and test I found that it was due to glancing across the ball that made the spin go so high. If you get solid contact and compress the ball the spin seems fine. Even into the wind,

[b]MAIN BAG[/b]
Bridgestone B330
Leoupol 4Xi