2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf is dying: "lost 5 million players in the last decade... another 5 million will quit in the next

Yellow Jacket

[quote name='JWells' timestamp='1398267501' post='9151451']
It's been said a million times and I'll say it again. Golf courses are way too hostile towards beginner/bad golfers.

Most (not all) course employees/pro shop employees are on a pedastool and look down and anyone who is unknowledgable about the game.

Slow play can be annoying but it's even more annoying and inappropriate when people are rude to other customers on the course, this is where marshals need to be more proactive.

I got involved in the game 2 years ago. When I was a beginner I felt like an outsider and at times treated as such.

Also the golf manufactures need to chill out with the constant releases of new product lines. Not only is this hurting the stores that sell them. It just keeps giving the game a persona of being too expensive to play.
[/quote]

I have only noticed this behavior at high priced places. not lesser expensive municipals where beginners should be learning so they don't waste a ton of cash

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you are a golfer, why do you care if people quit? why do you care if golf is in decline? The only people that truly care are the OEMs. Their free ride is over. Their reign of terror is coming to an end..hopefully soon. To me this is the best thing that can happen to golf. I don't need to play behind some jackass that jumped on the Tiger band wagon. No skin off my back if you leave.

A real estate buddy of mine who is struggling in the golf course development business is having much more success in converting bankrupt courses into cemeteries.

Business is particularly strong in FL....people are dying to get in.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[quote name='par_machine' timestamp='1410457870' post='10102185']
if you are a golfer, why do you care if people quit? why do you care if golf is in decline? The only people that truly care are the OEMs. Their free ride is over. Their reign of terror is coming to an end..hopefully soon. To me this is the best thing that can happen to golf. I don't need to play behind some jackass that jumped on the Tiger band wagon. No skin off my back if you leave.
[/quote]

With respect that's a really short-sighted view. In one way or another - all players present conditions are tied to the revenue generated by the industry....so a lack of participation may appear to yield good benefits in the short run, but at the sacrifice of the game in the long run.

If people stop playing - you are right - in the short run you get better tee times and easier to make...less crowded. But in the mid run - the course is losing money so it cuts down on staff hours, and/or amenities. Bathrooms aren't cleaned; one cart girl instead of two; no more water stations. Or worse - they reduce maintenance - and now YOUR enjoyment is directly impaired. Cutting down the rough every 2 weeks instead of every week. Greens dry out; fairways get neglected. In the long run - courses simply close.

can someone tell the groups in front of me that make rounds 5.5hrs long that golf is dying and to not play anymore??? that would be swell.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1410463827' post='10102867']
[/quote]

With respect that's a really short-sighted view. In one way or another - all players present conditions are tied to the revenue generated by the industry....so a lack of participation may appear to yield good benefits in the short run, but at the sacrifice of the game in the long run.

If people stop playing - you are right - in the short run you get better tee times and easier to make...less crowded. But in the mid run - the course is losing money so it cuts down on staff hours, and/or amenities. Bathrooms aren't cleaned; one cart girl instead of two; no more water stations. Or worse - they reduce maintenance - and now YOUR enjoyment is directly impaired. Cutting down the rough every 2 weeks instead of every week. Greens dry out; fairways get neglected. In the long run - courses simply close.
[/quote]

All true! However, its really supply and demand doing what it does best... thin the heard on its way to finding who really supports the game and to what extent. I, for one, am willing to tolerate some course closures and inconveniences, drought influences, even green fees going up to insure profits. When we stop and think about it, golf courses are no different than other business segments coping with competition. And what you described will more than like be found at muni courses owned by struggling cities or underfunded owers.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I am with Pepper. Golf is not immune to supply and demand that governs every business. At some point in time, equilibrium will be reached. OEM's, courses, and other ancillary businesses will disappear. No big deal. Certain golf addicts in certain parts of the country will be inconvenienced. Perhaps your favorite course will shut down, etc. But at the end of the day, those of us who love the game will still have a nice place to play.

If I have to, I will move or join a private club or pay much higher greens fees. This trend in golf decline is a blessing.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1410464379' post='10102923']
[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1410463827' post='10102867']
[/quote]

[/quote]

All true! However, its really supply and demand doing what it does best... thin the heard on its way to finding who really supports the game and to what extent. I, for one, am willing to tolerate some course closures and inconveniences, drought influences, even green fees going up to insure profits. When we stop and think about it, golf courses are no different than other business segments coping with competition. And what you described will more than like be found at muni courses owned by struggling cities or underfunded owers.
[/quote]

Yes and no. The difference is whether this is a temporary cycle or a permanent trend. It seems a bit more like the latter. I was merely trying to answer the other poster's question as he seemed to not understand how lack of demand would affect him at a micro level.

As a related aside: Dick's announced it's effectively getting out of the golf business, reducing in-store footprints, and shuttering several of it's Golf Galaxy stores. At a micro level that affects an equipment ho directly. The sad thing is that when they came to town they drove out a lot of the independent stores - and those stores are closed forever. Times change... :(

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1410466622' post='10103141']
I am with Pepper. Golf is not immune to supply and demand that governs every business. At some point in time, equilibrium will be reached. OEM's, courses, and other ancillary businesses will disappear. No big deal. Certain golf addicts in certain parts of the country will be inconvenienced. Perhaps your favorite course will shut down, etc. [b] But at the end of the day, those of us who love the game will still have a nice place to play.[/b]

If I have to, I will move or join a private club or pay much higher greens fees. This trend in golf decline is a blessing.
[/quote]

That's an assumption that I'm not so sure will be entirely true. Industries don't operate in a vacuum. It's not just "muni players" who are not joining the game - it's golfers in general. Whether you're at the local muni or a top 100 club in the USA - levels of play are down everywhere. Every level is operating as a business and it requires demand. So your muni will make changes, as will the country club. In a word - even if your muni closes - when you try to join the country club it may not be as nice as you remembered it. :)

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1410469087' post='10103391']
I am with Pepper. Golf is not immune to supply and demand that governs every business. At some point in time, equilibrium will be reached. OEM's, courses, and other ancillary businesses will disappear. No big deal. Certain golf addicts in certain parts of the country will be inconvenienced. Perhaps your favorite course will shut down, etc. [b] But at the end of the day, those of us who love the game will still have a nice place to play.[/b]

[/quote]

That's an assumption that I'm not so sure will be entirely true. Industries don't operate in a vacuum. It's not just "muni players" who are not joining the game - it's golfers in general. Whether you're at the local muni or a top 100 club in the USA - levels of play are down everywhere. Every level is operating as a business and it requires demand. So your muni will make changes, as will the country club. In a word - even if your muni closes - when you try to join the country club it may not be as nice as you remembered it. :)
[/quote]

It may not be the number of players has decreased, but the number of courses has increased, so more business are competing for a pool of players that are not growing as fast as the number of available courses.

I maintain the position that golf is, and always has been for those who can afford the time and the money. These people must first become financially successful, then successfully raise a family, then afford an expensive game. Golf is not meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

Its not fair....so what?

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[quote name='njlam' timestamp='1410469623' post='10103437']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It may not be the number of players has decreased, but the number of courses has increased, so more business are competing for a pool of players that are not growing as fast as the number of available courses.

I maintain the position that golf is, and always has been for those who can afford the time and the money. These people must first become financially successful, then successfully raise a family, then afford an expensive game. Golf is not meant to be enjoyed by everyone.

Its not fair....so what?
[/quote]

I am not complaining - I'm simply explaining. There's a difference.

As for your position about golf - it seems very logical - but myopic. I agree that a lot of folks look at golf as a reward indulgence that you give to yourself after you've become financially successful. Well - that's one way to look at it. And it's a very conservative way IMO. I suppose that this is possible if you work maybe 10 years or longer then reward yourself with a $$$ membership at Club Hoity Toity?

My way of thinking is different - I say if your clients play golf - join Club Hoity Toity early - borrow the money if you have to. Golf as a business tool is amazing - it gives you exactly what you need - access to decision makers + time alone...which enhances your ability to win business and build relationships. In short - compared to your example where you pay the membership initiation as a sunk cost; now you're using "golf" as a profit-engine. You'll pay back your initiation inside 2 years, and then forever after it basically spits out cash - paying for all of your personal and family golf - and much more. At least that's how I view things and many many many club members (who actually paid for their memberships - not their legacy family who didn't) tend to view things. Your career or business will be much farther ahead with golf and its free; versus waiting all that time to give it to yourself as a reward.

...just explaining. :)

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've been around long enough and embedded in business enough, worst case, golf will revert to the way it was in my youth; for those with money and time. I've been though three recessions too... The difference lies in whether or not someone is on fixed income or something greater. As for your assumption regarding golfers in general, here in CA and where I travel and play, golf is not in trouble. Its just rightsizing itself after a growth spurt. No different than my business after over thirty years, or all the businesses we deal with. The country clubs back in my youth were no different than most country clubs today. Also, nobody in their right mind with money will spend large sums to join a club that carries itself like a struggling muni. A membership with money makes things happen because they can. Faltering revenue stream as a result of struggling customer base, lets things go. Cocktail and cigar time... :beach:

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Lightning Down Under' timestamp='1410301130' post='10091841']
Need to turn them all into trailer parks or cemeteries
[/quote]

Yes / we have a 5 star private private country club down the road . I so so so so so see them turning it into a trailer park . I envision the pink flamingos , the green algae covered bird baths . The tramp stamped beauty queens , mullets ; and cheap beer. I'm waiting for this day .

Pepper

Your post above ^^^^^^^^^^^^ sounds like you have been with us since the Big Bang .

Wow / impressive

Pepper's on the left,,,,,, carrying Ouimet's bag !!! :D

Francis_Oumet_and_Eddie_Lowery_picture.jpg

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='Nacho1234' timestamp='1410488167' post='10104961']
Pepper

Your post above ^^^^^^^^^^^^ sounds like you have been with us since the Big Bang .

Wow / impressive
[/quote]

To undeveloped minds, I have. :beach:

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Course if offering 5 hole rates!!

[url="http://www.anaheimhillsgc.com/specials/the-loop"]http://www.anaheimhillsgc.com/specials/the-loop[/url]

I think it's a pretty cool idea for beginners and families

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1410475360' post='10103939']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Its not fair....so what?
[/quote]

As for your position about golf - it seems very logical - but myopic. I agree that a lot of folks look at golf as a reward indulgence that you give to yourself after you've become financially successful. Well - that's one way to look at it. And it's a very conservative way IMO. I suppose that this is possible if you work maybe 10 years or longer then reward yourself with a $$$ membership at Club Hoity Toity?

My way of thinking is different - I say if your clients play golf - join Club Hoity Toity early - borrow the money if you have to. Golf as a business tool is amazing - it gives you exactly what you need - access to decision makers + time alone...which enhances your ability to win business and build relationships. In short - compared to your example where you pay the membership initiation as a sunk cost; now you're using "golf" as a profit-engine. You'll pay back your initiation inside 2 years, and then forever after it basically spits out cash - paying for all of your personal and family golf - and much more. At least that's how I view things and many many many club members (who actually paid for their memberships - not their legacy family who didn't) tend to view things. Your career or business will be much farther ahead with golf and its free; versus waiting all that time to give it to yourself as a reward.

[/quote]

I was playing a round with at one of the high end clubs near me (won a round in a charity outing as I am simply a member of the proletariat) and one of the people I was playing with had done this at his company. The partners got together and fronted one of the younger partners the money to join the club we were playing as a social member. It cost them around $25,000, but they had made it back 5x over with the new business he secured in the first 2 years.

[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1412084564' post='10211289']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Its not fair....so what?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I was playing a round with at one of the high end clubs near me (won a round in a charity outing as I am simply a member of the proletariat) and one of the people I was playing with had done this at his company. The partners got together and fronted one of the younger partners the money to join the club we were playing as a social member. It cost them around $25,000, but they had made it back 5x over with the new business he secured in the first 2 years.
[/quote]

Pretty simple. Easy for many businesses (but not all), harder to justify as individuals.

[quote name='Frankensteins Monster' timestamp='1412088328' post='10211603']
[quote name='Mario Good Times' timestamp='1398260263' post='9150521']
The less people play golf the better pricing and more tee times available for me.
[/quote]

I'm not sure your math is correct with this one.
[/quote]

His "math" is perfect,,,,,,,,, up to the point where his course gets so little business it has to close,,,,,,,,,,

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1412092376' post='10212007']
The less people play golf the better pricing and more tee times available for me.
[/quote]

[/quote]

His "math" is perfect,,,,,,,,, up to the point where his course gets so little business it has to close,,,,,,,,,,
[/quote]

…and before it closes, poor maintenance will deteriorate course conditions for a few years.

[quote name='natedd' timestamp='1412084564' post='10211289']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Its not fair....so what?
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I am not a member of any club but do use golf as a business tool. 2-3 round a month with clients at various location and yes it pays for itself 10 fold.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1412092376' post='10212007']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
His math isn't correct. Less golfers will not mean cheaper prices. That's not how it works.

80 and sunny this past Sunday. Course was a ghostown, save for the Club Champ playoff going on at the course I was playing. The three guys I was playing with and I kept saying, "where is everyone?!" And they even had a $5 off coupon for 18 promotion going on.
Is golf out of reach financially at $25 walking for people? No. Probably not. I guess people like to watch the TV and stuff their faces more? I don't understand it.

^C'mon this is hardly the first time you'd have seen this. Golf is seasonal to a lot of people.
Football (both NCAA/NFL) signals the start of autumn for lots of folks - even see it around here and we don't have weather as such.

When I started playing in the mid-90s back in BC (I'm sure those who have played way longer could indicate the same) we definitely did have seasons, by the end of Sept a lot of people had brought the shutters down on their golf year. That's no indication it is dying.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.