2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Most unforgiving classic blade?

The hardest vintage irons for me were (god, forgive me. I am a heretic) MacGregor Tommy Armours, especially the 945's. the double flange style puts more weight toward the center/ top of the face.
So you rally have to hit down and dig 'em out, which doesn't fit my swing too well.The more of a sweeper you are, rather than a digger, imo, the harder most of the older stuff is to hit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1401227999' post='9376769']
Couple of tips:
- Give 'em a good clean with saddle soap - it has moisturizers that soften them up. Plus it gets the oil and eccch off them
- Spray 'em down with leather conditioner; it has oils that are absorbed by the grips for long term rejuvenation
- [b]Dampen part of your golf towel when you are playing them. A slight wipe with water on the leather makes it super tacky[/b] - wearing a cabretta (not synthetic) glove also helps with this

[/quote]

Thanks for the tip, this helped a good bit tonight as I took them out on the course for the first time. I'm still getting used to the leather grips but I'm definitely starting to dig these clubs. I was really happy with the way I hit them.

I neglected to mention that the iron set also came with Hogan Precision woods, including driver, 2 1/2 wood, and 4 wood. They're in pretty bad shape so I wasn't expecting much but I threw them in the bag anyway, and Wow! The Precision Driver is really a cracker. The insert sounds and feels like some kind of plastic (cycolac?) but it went real straight with a nice medium trajectory and a lot of rollout. I only missed 2 fairways with it but both were because the ball ran through the dogleg.

I also hit the 4 wood 3-4 times with pretty good results. The odd thing about it is the head size -- its very small for a 4 wood, looks more like a 5 wood or utility wood. I never did hit the 2 1/2 wood, which seems to be a bit of an oddity itself. I've seen Spalding 1/2 woods before but never a Hogan. It has the loft of a 3 wood (16*) but the length of a 2 wood (43"), hence the 2 1/2 wood.

It wasn't my best scoring round tonight but it was one of my best ball-striking rounds... Hmmm, have I found my Set for All Seasons?

BTW, on the 15th hole I caught up to the threesome in front of me and they invited me to play out with them. After we putted out on the 16th (with my bullseye) the old guy in the group, who was probably pushing 70, looked at me with a big grin and said, "Say, where'd you get all them old clubs?"

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Please forgive me Wilson fans but to me anything Wilson or Haig Ultra except the wedges

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1401452057' post='9395183']
Please forgive me Wilson fans but to me anything Wilson or Haig Ultra except the wedges
[/quote]

Big Stu, don't be too hard on the whole line ups.

Unfortunately, Wilson Staff clubs are kind of like having a super hot model girlfriend. You need to pay constant attention to her, you need to handle her on an almost daily basis, and if you do, you end up with one of the sweetest relationships you can have.

However, if you ignore her, stick her in the corner of the garage, and don't giver her any attention, she gets cold in a real hurry, and sometimes it is near impossible to win her back.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Macgregor Split Sole blades are notoriously difficult to hit. The split sole makes the center of gravity go up (harder to elevate the ball) and the lip on the sole means it digs like crazy with no bounce. Low point has to be perfect in order not to hit it fat or thin. Good luck with these ones:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/321237903524?lpid=82

[quote name='rileyj' timestamp='1401477960' post='9397965']
Macgregor Split Sole blades are notoriously difficult to hit. The split sole makes the center of gravity go up (harder to elevate the ball) and the lip on the sole means it digs like crazy with no bounce. Low point has to be perfect in order not to hit it fat or thin. Good luck with these ones:

[/quote]

Got a set similar to those (stamped 'Tourney by MacGregor') festering in the garage somewhere - will have to "dig" them out and take them for a spin. They came with a staff bag I wanted - I've never hit them !

I will put myself through 9 holes of potential pain one evening next week, and report back :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1401481652' post='9398317']
[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1401395373' post='9391393']
Ironmaster, how long have you been using the handle iron master? I think I've played with you before in Ottawa.
[/quote]
Not unless it was Ottawa, Illinois in about 1971. never been to the original Ottawa.
[/quote]

same handle (almost), tx for the reply.

[/quote]
[quote name='JShaw' timestamp='1401501490' post='9400145']
Macgregor Tourney Custom 985 for me. I've played and enjoyed Wilson FG-17s and Hogan Apex PCs and find them much easier to play. My standard miss is toward the toe though and I just can't make myself set up with the ball on the inside of the face thanks to a year long bout with the snap fades about 10 years ago.
[/quote]

+2 The spilt soles were pretty awful I think. As I remember they came out in about '70 maybe, and all the Macgregor guys (and there were a bunch of them at the course I grew up on) went out and got a set for the "innovative sole". Let's just say this innovation was not well appreciated. I had just started playing then, a little kid that sat around and listened to the big guys talk golf. There was a lot of bitching about those irons..The 985's were my first vintage set. Got them a couple of years ago for 25 bucks at Play It again Sports. Good clubs, great feel, but pretty demanding. If you didn't have your low point dialed in, you could dig to China. My wrists are still protesting, and I haven't gamed them in a year or so.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1401246171' post='9379183']
I once tried a set of Powerbilt Scotch Blades that were particularly difficult for me to hit with any consistency- went back to my set of Golden Ram Tour Grinds and joy immediately returned to iron play.
[/quote]

I almost bought a set of those a couple weeks ago for $20, kind of glad I didn't now :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Kirasdad' timestamp='1401522093' post='9401439']

[/quote]
[quote name='JShaw' timestamp='1401501490' post='9400145']
Macgregor Tourney Custom 985 for me. I've played and enjoyed Wilson FG-17s and Hogan Apex PCs and find them much easier to play. My standard miss is toward the toe though and I just can't make myself set up with the ball on the inside of the face thanks to a year long bout with the snap fades about 10 years ago.
[/quote]

+2 The spilt soles were pretty awful I think. As I remember they came out in about '70 maybe, and all the Macgregor guys (and there were a bunch of them at the course I grew up on) went out and got a set for the "innovative sole". Let's just say this innovation was not well appreciated. I had just started playing then, a little kid that sat around and listened to the big guys talk golf. There was a lot of bitching about those irons..The 985's were my first vintage set. Got them a couple of years ago for 25 bucks at Play It again Sports. Good clubs, great feel, but pretty demanding. If you didn't have your low point dialed in, you could dig to China. My wrists are still protesting, and I haven't gamed them in a year or so.
[/quote]

I also forgot about the bi-level sole Macs. I haven't hit any in eons. But the memories are not the best. I think the theory was that the shorter level was supposed to act as a way to keep the clubheads from digging more. But it worked just the opposite way. Created a very thin blade which kind of acted like a plow. Also the weight was moved up the back of the club, which I think would effectively make it harder to get the higher ball flight. So perhaps the were great for windswept hard pan many tracks in Texas. But they were not a good choice (for me, at least) here in the lush fairways of the Midwest.
I have a set of VIP/Nicklaus that were from the Niles circus. Maybe I should give them a second chance at life. After yesterday's rain, I could probably excavate a small basement on the practice tee.

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1401185112' post='9372647']
The only classic blades I've ever hit that gave me stinging hands were the Hogan PCs. Having said that, some of the best shots I have ever hit have been with the same set :)
[/quote]

I'd say hogan pcs also!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1401477494' post='9397911']
You want some nice blades. Ebay the Tad Moore Maxfli TM-1 set that is on there. These are TRUE Tour clubs. i made the heads for a pro so they are gram weighted perfectly and custom all the way. Sweet sticks. Tad
[/quote]

wow just stunning!!!!!!!!

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

THey all do

Get the easiest hitting blade and if you're not used to hitting them you will hit corkscrews down the fairway
nasty physics-defying golf shots

then hone in and hit them well and you'll be ok

i have collected sets for the past year only
up to 14 sets/near completes of flatback thin soles to lower profile to elongated to muscled to blade
they all become as easy as the others with some time

regarding the split-soled irons

does anyone remember the Dunlop 65 musclebacks? they were a sort of split sole design. thick triangular muscleback with the old dunlop globe logo in the corner

I wondered if they were out before the macgregors. Not sure of the timeline of the 65's as they used that moniker for a long time for a lot of differeing styles of irons

dunlop did so with many of their brandings

I picked up a beated 2 iron to mess around with

[quote name='sunofsand' timestamp='1402375962' post='9464731']
regarding the split-soled irons

does anyone remember the Dunlop 65 musclebacks? they were a sort of split sole design. thick triangular muscleback with the old dunlop globe logo in the corner

I wondered if they were out before the macgregors. Not sure of the timeline of the 65's as they used that moniker for a long time for a lot of differeing styles of irons

dunlop did so with many of their brandings

I picked up a beated 2 iron to mess around with
[/quote]
The original Dunlop 65 was a golf ball. It was sold for decades. I think it was a tribute to Henry Cotton, who shot a 65 in the Open back in the 1930's.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1401463939' post='9396485']
Out checking the local thrifts and ran across a couple of Palmer Peerless blades. If they had more than a couple I would have picked them up for a minimalist set. Holy Cow...I haven't seen anything that skinny in years. Now those look like a challenge. Really nice clean looking lines.
[/quote]

I have a set and I find them more forgiving than they look. A few of the sets that I've had over the years that I think of when someone mentions really unforgiving.....MacGregor SS1, Mac Kolochrome wingtips, Hogan +1, Hogan Bounce Sole, Ram TW282 & TW276 Grinds, most every Wilson Staff iron before the '76 bullet backs, early Ausie blades, most every Titleist blade before the 6xx series.

I may be repeating myself, but I've never found the assorted Rams unforgiving (I have a set of TW276, among other Ram Tour Grind sets). In fact, I found them just as forgiving on toe hits as a player's CB I had available to me at the time. Tested it a few times on course, balls would wind up within feet of each other.

It can be hard to intentionally hit one way out on the toe. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors