The "How Confident Are You" Weekly Challenge

[quote name='GGMUFrost' timestamp='1404225835' post='9615469']
Sorry, I forgot to post, we ended up not getting to play Sunday due to some family stuff. I would like to predict sub 80 for this Saturday though.
[/quote]

73 Saturday! I am really stripping it right now, shot 71 yesterday after work. We have our member guest at my club this Saturday and I will be going for sub 75. Good luck all!

Stealth Plus 9* Ventus black 7x

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rack RTX 50, 55, 60 tour issue s400
Tour Rat 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1404392040' post='9629337']
[quote name='Maddog10' timestamp='1404391757' post='9629309']
[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1404347676' post='9626869']
Can I get in? I'm a 12.3, so under 85.

--kC
[/quote]

Yep, everyone is welcome. I'll put you down. Good luck this weekend.

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1404391101' post='9629217']
[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1404226775' post='9615619']
ok, so I have 1 maybe 2 rounds tomorrow at Turning Stone in Verona, NY... depending on how my playing partner feels we will be playing Shenendoah first and Adunyote right after. If we play the whites I will bet 250 under 80.... If we play the blues I will bet 250 under 85 at Shenendoah.

At Adunyote we will play the blues simply because whenever I play a PGA Tour destination I like to beat myself up. So I say 85 there as well.... for the 2nd 18. For $250.
[/quote]

ok, so we played neither of the two... we played Kaluhyat... the 3rd of the 18 hole courses at Turning Stone. I can't go back on my bet but probably would have said under 85 since I have never played the course and we played the blues (just like I said for Shenendoah)...... shot 82 from the blues..... up to you OP on how you wanna proceed.

that being said, I am playing Saturday and will bet $500 under 80
[/quote]

Nice round. Since it wasn't on the weekend it's a non-issue, it wouldn't have counted for you or against you either way. Maybe in the future I can revise the challenge to keep up with weekday rounds too, but for now it's just one round per weekend. That makes it simple and easy for me to keep up with. I know it's inconvenient for those that don't get a chance to play Fri-Sun on certain weekends, but for now I want to keep it restricted to weekends only. I know a lot of guys, myself included, play nearly every day and I think that would just be too much for me to keep up with at the moment, plus I think people would get tired of having to come post their predictions/scores every day.
[/quote]

I hear ya... and sorry for not re-reading the rules....

So, then.... it will be $500 for under 80 Saturday, July 5
[/quote]

took a quad on 18 for an 81...... FML.....

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

Nice round Frost!

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1404842306' post='9660499']
[/quote]

Ouch! I had a similar moment on Sunday. The 9th hole at our course is normally a 3-shot par 5 where it takes two shots to reach a dogleg and then about a 130 yard approach shot into the green. A perfectly placed drive that is long and down the left side gives you the option of trying to carry the trees in order to reach the green in two. Well there I sat, 2 under through 8 holes and in perfect position to go for it in two, and then I blew it. Went for the green and didn't make it. In my best Roy McAvoy impression, I grabbed another ball and went for it again... Trees. Went for it again... Trees. Went for it again... Made it. It really wasn't THAT hard of a shot, but I just kept hitting the ball slightly off center and didn't have enough carry. Anyways, to summarize I tapped in for a cool 11 and went from staring at a 34 to shooting a 40 on the front 9. Had I been playing with anyone or any type of round that counted then I wouldn't have even tried, but I was alone with nobody behind me so I just had to prove to myself that I could make it. Turns out I can, but it may take me 4 attempts.

[quote name='Maddog10' timestamp='1404843634' post='9660663']
Nice round Frost!

[quote name='joey2aces' timestamp='1404842306' post='9660499']
[/quote]

Ouch! I had a similar moment on Sunday. The 9th hole at our course is normally a 3-shot par 5 where it takes two shots to reach a dogleg and then about a 130 yard approach shot into the green. A perfectly placed drive that is long and down the left side gives you the option of trying to carry the trees in order to reach the green in two. Well there I sat, 2 under through 8 holes and in perfect position to go for it in two, and then I blew it. Went for the green and didn't make it. In my best Roy McAvoy impression, I grabbed another ball and went for it again... Trees. Went for it again... Trees. Went for it again... Made it. It really wasn't THAT hard of a shot, but I just kept hitting the ball slightly off center and didn't have enough carry. Anyways, to summarize I tapped in for a cool 11 and went from staring at a 34 to shooting a 40 on the front 9. Had I been playing with anyone or any type of round that counted then I wouldn't have even tried, but I was alone with nobody behind me so I just had to prove to myself that I could make it. Turns out I can, but it may take me 4 attempts.
[/quote]

yeah.... I just let my head get the best of me. Hit a crap drive and had 200 in. Can't go long so I hit a 5 iron, didn't catch it all but was only about 15 yards short up a false front.... skulled it over. Hit a great flop shot (or so I thought) to a front pin and it kept on rolling..... rolling..... rolling....off the false front... so I putted the ball and crushed it long. 3 putted from there... awesome.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

It's that time again fellas. Some of you already posted your selections for the upcoming weekend, but if you haven't then jump on in.

I'm playing a course that I've never played before with a wedding party Saturday morning before going to the wedding that night. Rumor has it that it's a pretty difficult course, especially if you get out of the fairway. It's rated 73.6/139 at 6,930 yards but I'm feeling good about it so I'm going to take the [u][b]Under 75[/b][/u] bet. It's a pretty optimistic wager, especially having never played the course before, but the iron game is coming around and I'm trying to talk myself into going low. I got this.

[quote name='GGMUFrost' timestamp='1404842226' post='9660485']
[quote name='GGMUFrost' timestamp='1404225835' post='9615469']
Sorry, I forgot to post, we ended up not getting to play Sunday due to some family stuff. I would like to predict sub 80 for this Saturday though.
[/quote]

73 Saturday! I am really stripping it right now, shot 71 yesterday after work. We have our member guest at my club this Saturday and I will be going for sub 75. Good luck all!
[/quote]

Shot 74 in my club Member Guest today with a double on the last. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun playing! I will go for sub 75 agian next week. Play well everyone!

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

[quote name='Maddog10' timestamp='1405000634' post='9672637']
It's that time again fellas. Some of you already posted your selections for the upcoming weekend, but if you haven't then jump on in.

I'm playing a course that I've never played before with a wedding party Saturday morning before going to the wedding that night. Rumor has it that it's a pretty difficult course, especially if you get out of the fairway. It's rated 73.6/139 at 6,930 yards but I'm feeling good about it so I'm going to take the [u][b]Under 75[/b][/u] bet. It's a pretty optimistic wager, especially having never played the course before, but the iron game is coming around and I'm trying to talk myself into going low. I got this.
[/quote]

Had a strong finish on Saturday to squeak in with a 73 (+1). Started the day with a double-bogey, and also had 4 three putts in the first 6 holes (we didn't have time to stop at the putting green before the round, and the greens were significantly slower than what I was used to), but once I got things together I played really well. 39-34 for a 73. On the tee box of hole 17 I knew I was 3 over and was going to need to birdie at least one of the last two in order to accomplish my goal this week. Well I stuck an 8 iron for a 3 foot birdie putt on 17, and then rolled in about a 15 footer for birdie on 18 to close out the round. Fun course and a great time with some good friends of mine.

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1404836640' post='9659873']
i have a 6:10am tee time at a local muni on saturday. par 72, rating 72.2, slope 124. long, but relatively straightforward. i will bet the 'under 80 $500.' now, based on my recent play, this is a bet i *should* win. it's a different kind of pressure. we'll see how it works out.
[/quote]

i S the bed on saturday. the early tee time was fine, but walking (push carting) did not suit me in the heat and humidity.

3 doubles on the front 9, plus 2 more doubles on the back = no bueno. 40/44. damn near passed out from heat stroke coming in. really was a shame, as the good shots were some of the best ones of the year, but 84 not gonna get it done.

i am out this weekend with family fun time. good luck to all who post!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Played the Ocean Course yesterday, there was little wind and the course was in great shape, I thought I would share a few pictures with everyone, I hope that is ok. I ended up shooting 78 from the Tournament tees with two bogeys and two doubles, I missed 3 birdie putts from less than 8 feet, with one from 5 feet I missed on the par 3 17th. Play well this weekend everyone!

[attachment=2324303:photo 2.JPG][attachment=2324305:photo 2 (2).JPG][attachment=2324307:photo 1.JPG][attachment=2324309:photo 5.JPG]

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

[quote name='Maddog10' timestamp='1405439752' post='9704853']
Some beautiful shots there Frost! Thanks for sharing. I've never played alongside an ocean, but where I live we have several courses on lakes and rivers that provide some great scenery. Nothing like what you have shown above though. Congrats on a great round. Weather looks awesome as well.
[/quote]

Thanks Maddog, it was quite beautiful out there, we even got to see a few gators sunning themselves. I hope you don't mind the pictures on here. Thanks again for setting this game up, it really makes the weekend rounds that much better. It is a lot of fun to call your round and hopefully come through. Play well!

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

I had an 85 on the number so lost that one. Sorry forgot to post.

No problem. There's always next week.

Pictures always make a thread better, and since Frost shared his I thought I'd add a few of my own from a vacation we took down to Daytona a few weeks ago. My brother-in-law and I played both LPGA international courses down there. These pics are from the Jones course, and were taken with my cell phone so not the greatest quality (meant to take my wife's DSLR camera but left it at the condo). This course had just been aerated a week or so prior to us playing so it wasn't in the greatest condition, but was still a beautiful course. The Hills course had been aerated in the spring and was immaculate.

First Tee: Pretty intimidating tee shot to be the first of the day. Bunkers right and water left.

16AEA22A-FF52-4094-8587-1A56E899DA0C-2473-000002DC2C3FDF45_zps72beb5ea.jpg

The Par 3 17th:

DDB38346-7D60-4BF2-80F5-0D6EDD87E09D-2473-000002DC520187EE_zpse47d60ae.jpg

The 18th Tee: This photo is from a set of tees forward from where we were teeing off. It's a pretty narrow alley from the back tees.

44BFF2C7-BD6D-4330-89B8-94B2085833EE-2473-000002DC71B90086_zpsea945c3c.jpg

From the 18th Green:

A4C4C2EE-D59F-42EB-9F8E-3D4751692D25-2473-000002DCC5394FEA_zps439bc3d0.jpg

Beautiful course there. I will post my wager tonite as Tuesday is usually my get back into the swing of things day and not a good day to wager a score.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

I'm playing in one of my three personal "majors" this weekend which is one of the top pro and amateur tournaments in the area. This is my first year to play in the event, as it is quite difficult to get into. You basically have to turn in a resume that lists your handicap as well as your golfing accomplishments in order to be accepted, and they receive several hundred applications. Regardless, I made it into the tournament and tee off at 7:00 AM on Saturday. No flights, just a standard stroke play tournament. The course plays around 6,900 yards and is rated 72.9. Last tourney I elected to go with my Sunday round and fired a Saturday 68, so I'm switching it up this time and choosing my Saturday round. Hoping that the Saturday pin setup will be a little bit easier. Enough talk though, I'm going to go with another [u][b]Under 75[/b][/u] round. I'm really hoping to be under 70 so that I'm within reach of the lead, but that's an ambitious goal for me on this course. Under 75 would be a solid round that I would be happy with.

[quote name='Maddog10' timestamp='1405605677' post='9719919']
I'm playing in one of my three personal "majors" this weekend which is one of the top pro and amateur tournaments in the area. This is my first year to play in the event, as it is quite difficult to get into. You basically have to turn in a resume that lists your handicap as well as your golfing accomplishments in order to be accepted, and they receive several hundred applications. Regardless, I made it into the tournament and tee off at 7:00 AM on Saturday. No flights, just a standard stroke play tournament. The course plays around 6,900 yards and is rated 72.9. Last tourney I elected to go with my Sunday round and fired a Saturday 68, so I'm switching it up this time and choosing my Saturday round. Hoping that the Saturday pin setup will be a little bit easier. Enough talk though, I'm going to go with another [u][b]Under 75[/b][/u] round. I'm really hoping to be under 70 so that I'm within reach of the lead, but that's an ambitious goal for me on this course. Under 75 would be a solid round that I would be happy with.
[/quote]

Good luck, sending good vibes your way!

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

Well I had a rough weekend. Hit the ball well for the most part, but just couldn't get things going on the greens. In fact, Saturday was undoubtedly the worst putting round of my life. I only missed 2 fairways and hit 14/18 GIR's, but still managed to shoot an 83. I had 9 three putts. NINE! These were the fastest greens I've ever played in my life and I just never could get a feel for the speed of them. I've played this course many times and knew to expect faster than usual greens, but this was beyond what I anticipated. I would run one putt 6 feet past the hole and leave one 6 feet short on the next hole. Just no feel whatsoever. That 83 also included a triple bogey on the final hole as well. My longest made putt of the day was about a 3 footer. All in all, just an incredibly frustrating day.

Yesterday I got it together, though I still didn't have a great day. I played identical from tee to green as I did on Saturday, but for whatever reason I had much more control on the greens. Only one 3 putt and it technically wasn't a 3 putt as I elected to putt from off the green. Managed a 75 yesterday, which still wasn't anything to rave about but was a decent turnaround from Day 1. I never really "made" any putts though. Had several good looks at birdie from about 10 feet and couldn't make any of them.

Couldn't get it done this weekend. Shot 78, I started out great with an 8 foot birdie on the first but a bad hop into a bush on the par 5 5th did me in. I ended up making two straight bogeys and then missed a 4 foot birdie on the 7th. It seemed like I just couldn't make anything and ended up needing to birdie three of the last 6 to get in at 78. Oh well, I am out this week, good luck everyone else!

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

I've missed a week or so. Wish I had bet for my Friday round (even though not technically a legal weekend round) as we played the easier course and had a new career best.

Will be an interesting week. Wednesday and Thursday is the two courses at Dismal River and the weekend is the club championship. Since it looks like Saturdays round will be just myself and a good friend (he works Saturday AM so we'll miss the main groups) that should be a fairly relaxed round so I'll take my usual under 80 for Saturday. See if there is any game left after we get beaten up in the Sandhills.

Yesterday I had a good day. 83 on my home course (Par 71). Driving was just "ok", but what really helped was my chipping and putting. 31 putts, but my chipping was dead on (as far as accuracy, just have to work on touch). Hit the pin on 3 of my chips, but they rolled out from 6" to a foot after contact.

Only 2 double bogeys (on 1 and 10) and the rest bogies and pars. No birds (many opportunities)... but hopefulyl that change in my chipping bodes me well for upcoming rounds.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Capture_zps39e2d76f.png

Was a nice weekend for some, and not so nice for others, including myself. Any weekend playing golf is a good one though. Everyone that plans to play this upcoming weekend be sure to jump in and post.

*** REVISED***

I've missed a week or so. Wish I had bet for my Friday round (even though not technically a legal weekend round) as we played the easier course and had a new career best.

Will be an interesting week. Wednesday and Thursday is the two courses at Dismal River and the weekend is the club championship. Since it looks like Saturdays round will be just myself and a good friend (he works Saturday AM so we'll miss the main groups) that should be a fairly relaxed round so I'll take my usual under 80 for Saturday. See if there is any game left after we get beaten up in the Sandhills.

Congrats on a new career best. Also, Friday rounds do count. I've got it limited to Fri-Sun so any round during those days meets the qualifications. I'll put you down for this upcoming weekend. Good luck.

[quote name='Imp' timestamp='1406034907' post='9757163']
MD... you missed mine from yesterday. (Or do I have to put a wager in every week?)
[/quote]

In theory it's easier for me to keep up with if you post your wager each week, and I didn't see one so I didn't put you on the list. However, since your previous was an Under 85 and you came back to post your round afterwards I'll revise it and count this week. I can see where it seems unnecessary for those that plan to make the same wager each week, but several people change from week to week (depending on how they have been playing, difficulty of course, etc) so it makes it easier for me to keep up with if you place a wager each week before your round. Here is how I track things so that it may be easier for everyone to understand.

- Usually on Thursday I go through the thread and find everyone that had made a prediction for the upcoming weekend. Predictions can be made later than Thursday, even as late as when you are walking out the door Sunday afternoon for your round, but then I just come back Monday and add those to the list.

-When a prediction is posted, I go on my excel file and put a "1" if it is their first bet in a category or a "+1" if it is in a category that they have previously bet on. I color the number in white so that I can easily see who made a wager that week and what their wager was. Then once the result is posted, I go back and make the number red or green depending on if they won/lost, or just add it into the record for that category if necessary.

This method makes it easy for me to track, but it really only works if you post your wager each week. I'll go ahead and put down your 83 from this week though as if you had wagered Under 85 since that was your bet the week before. In the future though, it makes it easier to keep up with if you post each week.

Capture_zps39e2d76f.png

Was a nice weekend for some, and not so nice for others, including myself. Any weekend playing golf is a good one though. Everyone that plans to play this upcoming weekend be sure to jump in and post.

*** REVISED***

Congrats on a new career best. Also, Friday rounds do count. I've got it limited to Fri-Sun so any round during those days meets the qualifications. I'll put you down for this upcoming weekend. Good luck.

Due to scheduling problems ended up not playing in the CC. Played at the easier course again and was 10 strokes worse than my career best from the previous Firday. But my 75 (a subtle passive brag, I get to say what I shot last week without saying it :) should win my weekly bet. I'm thinking that in the future on that course I'll lower my number to 75, that's about as high as I'm happy with there.

Nice round shank. Looks like you were the only participant this week so you got an edge on the field. Here are the results. Same as last week but with your round added.

Capture_zpsba5bb384.png

I forgot to make a prediction this week, but it likely saved me some money. I would have went with an under 70 round at my home course, but carded a 74 when I played Saturday morning. It was an interesting day with a lot of ups and downs. On the front 9 I had two eagles but had three bogeys and a double to still shoot a 37 (+1). Back 9 was a little more ordinary but I still couldn't make any putts and shot another 37 for a 74. My round broke down like this:

Par 3's: +5

Par 4's: +2

Par 5's: -5

Another big tournament coming up this weekend. I'll be playing a couple practice rounds throughout the week and then will post my prediction based on how things are going.