The "How Confident Are You" Weekly Challenge

I'll be playing in another tournament this weekend that always has a large turnout of both amateurs and pros. I really like this course and it suits my game well, so I'm hoping to put together a couple nice rounds and be near the top. It's rated 71.6/ 132 at just shy of 6800 yards.

I'm going take [u][b]Under 75[/b][/u] for my Sunday round, although I hope to be safely under that. I expect 138-142 to be what it takes to win the amateur division, which it attainable for me if I put together two good days. It would be quite the upset for me to win this tournament considering the caliber of players in it, but it's certainly not out of reach. Just have to come in with a good round the first day so that I'm still in the hunt for day 2. I'll be okay with anything under 150, but my goal is really to be under 145. If I come in under 145 I'll be quite pleased regardless of where I finish.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna go with another under 85 to get back to square and hopefully the few tweaks I found the other night take hold so I can start going with the under 80 more often.

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

i didn't post my bet in last week, as it was a last minute decision to play. good thing too, because i would have lost another sub-80 bet by a couple strokes.

another buttcrack of dawn tee time, a 6:00 start. thankfully, no one had booked the 6:10 or 6:20 because we didn't tee off until 6:15 because seeing the ball's flight was a problem. as much as i like being able to get back home with basically the whole day in front of me, it's tough to play well with literally no range time and just a couple practice putts before hitting off the first tee. gotta work that out somehow.

pretty sure i'm not playing this weekend, but i'll be in for the following week.

really enjoying reading the round recaps, keep 'em coming. good luck, and play well.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I have a tournament round this Saturday at Hacienda Golf Club in SoCal. Love the course. I'm calling sub 75. Course is tricky and tough. Rating/Slope is 73.4/139.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

[quote name='Maddog10' timestamp='1406809116' post='9823107']
I'll be playing in another tournament this weekend that always has a large turnout of both amateurs and pros. I really like this course and it suits my game well, so I'm hoping to put together a couple nice rounds and be near the top. It's rated 71.6/ 132 at just shy of 6800 yards.

I'm going take [u][b]Under 75[/b][/u] for my Sunday round, although I hope to be safely under that. I expect 138-142 to be what it takes to win the amateur division, which it attainable for me if I put together two good days. It would be quite the upset for me to win this tournament considering the caliber of players in it, but it's certainly not out of reach. Just have to come in with a good round the first day so that I'm still in the hunt for day 2. I'll be okay with anything under 150, but my goal is really to be under 145. If I come in under 145 I'll be quite pleased regardless of where I finish.
[/quote]

Chalk this week up as a loss for me. I didn't accomplish anything I set out to do. Shot a 76 on Sunday, and ended the tourney with a two-day total over 150. Really disappointing weekend.

gotta get my skin back in the game. tournament round on sunday. sweet, tough track. par 72, 71.8/132. my head is telling me sub-85, but my heart says a sub-80 bet.

sub 80 it is. will report back next monday.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Got it done this week. Shot 78 at my home club. I was a bit disappointed in the round though. I started the front 9 with a 37 but struggled on the back as it started to rain hard on the 11th. I will be playing a lot the next two weeks preparing for my club championship. Hopefully the extra practice will help me go sub 75 this week. Good luck all!

Stealth Plus 9* Ventus black 7x

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rack RTX 50, 55, 60 tour issue s400
Tour Rat 

Back to square with an 84 and put me down for another under 85 as a few bad holes keep creeping in and the putter refuses to heat up.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1406825302' post='9824823']I have a tournament round this Saturday at Hacienda Golf Club in SoCal. Love the course. I'm calling sub 75. Course is tricky and tough. Rating/Slope is 73.4/139.[/quote]

Shot 73 for my first time doing the challenge. Woohoo!!

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1407159947' post='9852375']
gotta get my skin back in the game. tournament round on sunday. sweet, tough track. par 72, 71.8/132. my head is telling me sub-85, but my heart says a sub-80 bet.

sub 80 it is. will report back next monday.
[/quote]

shot 79 to squeeze in under the wire. weird, fun round. at one point on the front, i went 4-6-4-6-4 with 2 birdies, a par and 2 doubles. i like to call that 'the royal sampler.' closed strong on the round with 4 straight pars with some fun up and ins, including back to back 60+ foot 2 putts and a sandy on 17.

ended up getting beat by one as i watched the guy birdie the last to shoot 78. at least i made him earn it! :)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='GGMUFrost' timestamp='1407160332' post='9852415']
Got it done this week. Shot 78 at my home club. I was a bit disappointed in the round though. I started the front 9 with a 37 but struggled on the back as it started to rain hard on the 11th. I will be playing a lot the next two weeks preparing for my club championship. Hopefully the extra practice will help me go sub 75 this week. Good luck all!
[/quote]

Failed this week, shot 81. We have our club championship this weekend so I will go for sub 80 Saturday.

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

I've been slacking on keeping up with the challenge lately. Apologies... Seems like a mix of wins/losses this week for those that participated. Congrats to the winners, better luck next time for the rest. I have the spreadsheet updated but am waiting on one more score before I post the results.

I didn't make a wager this past week but I wish I would have. I was so frustrated after my tournament last weekend that I decided I needed some time off. I didn't play from Sunday until Friday, but when I came back my swing felt better than it had since earlier in the spring. I had a little rust on the short game on Friday, but after working through that I posted a 67 (-5) during our Saturday morning foursome. Swing is feeling really good right now. I'll make an official prediction for the upcoming weekend on Thursday, but I feel a sub 70 wager coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Failed miserably in the first round of the club championship, shot 96. Was going to withdraw and I talked myself out of it. I ended up shooting 73 the next day. Hoping to play this Sunday and shoot sub 80, but I am trying to teach myself to hit a fade again, snap hooks were a big part of the 96. Good luck all

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

what happened to this thread? :(

I fell asleep at the wheel on this thread. I got a new computer at work (where the spreadsheet was saved) so I lost all of that, and since I haven't been able to participate the last week or two it's just slipped my mind. Plus participation across the board has been down so I haven't been getting many notifications on it. Anyways, I think I have the spreadsheet caught back up for the most part, but if anyone notices an issue or has a discrepancy just let me know and I'll change it. Here is the updated scoreboard.

Capture_zps2a4efc1a.png

By the way, nice turnaround at your club championship Frost. Way to stick with it after the tough first round.

[quote name='Maddog10' timestamp='1409076612' post='10012101']

By the way, nice turnaround at your club championship Frost. Way to stick with it after the tough first round.
[/quote]

Thanks, it was tough to go out there the second day as I really played terribly the first day. It made it even worse that I was playing with guys I had never met before. I think the best part of the whole thing was shooting 51 on the front Saturday and then 34 on the front Sunday.

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

wait a minute...

<takes off shoes and does math>

that's a 17 shot swing! way to go, that's an amazing turnaround.

maddog - my 'record' looks correct, thanks for reconstructing. i'm not playing this weekend, good luck to those who are.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Alright fellas, I'm back in the game this week. I have round scheduled tomorrow morning and I'm going looooooow. By that I just mean [b][u]Under 75[/u][/b]. Would like to bet lower but I've only played once this week and once last week, so that's a quite a change from my usual 5 rounds per week. Seeing that this challenge is all about confidence, I don't think I have enough of it to go with under 70.

Back in the green with a 78 yesterday. Ended up with two eagles, both on par 5s. I am the only guy I know that can make two eagles and still manage to shot 78. Going for Sub 80 again next week. Thanks!

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

Dang it I keep forgetting to subscribe to this thread. I did make an 84 for my last wager. After Friday's 77 I am gonna get brave and go with under 80 this time around.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

Seems like this thread may be dead but I will go with sub 80 this weekend. I am rolling a new putter so I am hoping for a little honeymoon magic

Sim 2 Max Ventus red 8x
T200 3 tour issue x100
T100 4-W tour issue X100
Tour Rat 

..thread alive... ALIVE!!!!

finally getting to play again after an extended absence from the course. par 72, rating 72.4, slope 137 from the tees i will be playing (blue). former (and future) site as a us open qualifier. haven't played 18 in two going on three weeks and have had a skeevy short game as of late.

don't care, going with my gut on this.

sub-80

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Big loss 84 and probably not playing next week as I am slammed with work and a little burned out. Hope everyone one plays well.

34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1409943130' post='10071251']
..thread alive... ALIVE!!!!

finally getting to play again after an extended absence from the course. par 72, rating 72.4, slope 137 from the tees i will be playing (blue). former (and future) site as a us open qualifier. haven't played 18 in two going on three weeks and have had a skeevy short game as of late.

don't care, going with my gut on this.

sub-80
[/quote]

7:50 tee time today. A full range warmup before the round makes a hella difference. 40/38 FTW, even with a triple on 8. Course was just awesome. Fast greens, lush rough, and impeccable fairways.

If anyone is ever in Maryland, check out Worthington Manor. There's a reason the USGA keeps having qualifiers there.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Sorry guys, know I'm really slacking here. Been travelling a lot lately with work and haven't been at my office computer which has the spreadsheet. I think I've got the results up to date with the exception of the scores I'm waiting on from last weekend. Participation really took a surge forward this past week which is great to see, so I will try to do my part and keep things more up to date on the thread. Unfortunately I was out of town with work last weekend and wasn't able to play, but I hope to change that this weekend. Will be spending Tuesday through Friday in Florida this week and am hoping to squeeze in a round at the Hombre in Panama, which I've heard is a nice course. We shall see. As far as weekend rounds I hope to play Sunday after returning from Florida, but I'll make a wager later in the week if this looks to be the case.