2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

UST Elements Chrome Review - TourSPX Build, Tour Issue Results

[quote name='Hifade' timestamp='1403927608' post='9594885']
It's late and I'm beat but I will add one quick update. So, I played at Muirfield Village today. The course was very wet so most balls hit and jumped a foot or so......no roll. We played it from about 6900 yards, but it played more like 7100 or so. It played looooong. First, it was incredible, if anyone is wondering......absolutely perfect. Furthermore, they treat everyone like royalty.

In short, I hit every fairway but one. The one I missed was just a horrible swing and really the tee shot required a FW instead, but what the heck. I was able to easily more it right or left, at will, and it responded willingly. I back off a couple and steered them into position with no problem. When I really reached back and went after 3 tee shots, I hit them really well and very long. I absolutely unloaded at 15 (uphill par 5) and 18 (great finishing hole - uphill par 4). At 15, I had 221 left and hit the green leaving a 18 foot eagle putt. On 18, I had 131 left and hit it to 8 feet. Both ended with birdies.

All I can say is this shaft is awesome. It's tight, responsive and very long for me.

More to come........
[/quote]

Great to hear!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is honestly one of the most well written reviews I've read on here in a long time- well done, BackwardsGolfer! I'm definitely even more interested in giving this shaft a try after reading this review. Sounds like UST has a winner on their hands, which isn't surprising. They make a grade "A" product, always one of my top one or two considerations in regards to shafts. I just shafted a Pro Mini with a VST Silver Tour SPX 100, took it to the course, and fell in love. Always a job well done, UST Mamiya. And, well done on the review BackwardsGolfer. Definitely coming away from this much more informed.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

[quote name='GoIrish17' timestamp='1403982813' post='9597515']
This is honestly one of the most well written reviews I've read on here in a long time- well done, BackwardsGolfer! I'm definitely even more interested in giving this shaft a try after reading this review. Sounds like UST has a winner on their hands, which isn't surprising. They make a grade "A" product, always one of my top one or two considerations in regards to shafts. I just shafted a Pro Mini with a VST Silver Tour SPX 100, took it to the course, and fell in love. Always a job well done, UST Mamiya. And, well done on the review BackwardsGolfer. Definitely coming away from this much more informed.
[/quote]

Thank you so much for the compliments! I think this is what this site is all about!

Got my first round in with the 6F4T in my 10.5 913 D2 and all I can say is WOW!!! While I played a relatively short course and only hit it a handful of times when I did it was awesome. High, towering bombs was all that I saw. The shaft is probably the smoothest that I've ever played and I've played a ton of different ones. Looking forward to getting it back out on the course next week. If you have a chance to give this a whirl don't pass it up.

[quote name='indygolfman' timestamp='1404092307' post='9604605']
Hmm, this thread has me thinking.... Razr Hawk Tour with a Chrome could be the ultimate ballspeed monster?
[/quote]

Only if it fits you. No one can really tell you that.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer....just throwing in some realism. Just because the shaft is new and a lot of us like it, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. That's an expensive mistake to make.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1404132900' post='9606633']
Hmm, this thread has me thinking.... Razr Hawk Tour with a Chrome could be the ultimate ballspeed monster?
[/quote]

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer....just throwing in some realism. Just because the shaft is new and a lot of us like it, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. That's an expensive mistake to make.
[/quote]

^^^^^^this^^^^^^

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

[quote name='Hifade' timestamp='1404133172' post='9606653']
[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1404132900' post='9606633']
[/quote]

[/quote]

^^^^^^this^^^^^^
[/quote]

I can tell myself that it fits me in my Anser 8.5! LOL I've been playing this shaft for a few months now and I'm having the best driving year of my life.

All I meant was that if this shaft increases ballspeed a little, and the RHT was known for it's increased ballspeed... then maybe that would be a sweet combo. :taunt:

TSR2 9* - 1K White 70
TSR2 15* - AD DI 7
Apex UW 19* - Diamana D+ 80
T150 4-PW - PX
SM8/SM9s - Modus 120
Scotty 5.5

I got some reps in with my Elements Chrome 7F5T this weekend, both on the range and on the course with generally positive results.

I was set to play 18 hole Sunday coming off what has been the best driving round of the year for me the weekend before with my usual 910D3 AD DI 7x combo and got in a range session Saturday evening when I gave the Chrome a run for the first time.

My initial thoughts were wildly good. I mean game-changing incredibly good. My usual range has a large Oak tree at what I estimate to be about 250 years out and the tees were set up so that it was straight away for me. I had been hitting drives with the AD DI that were in the vicinity of the tree, sometimes a little left, sometimes a little right, and most that were catching a limb as they started to fall out of the sky.

Enter the Chrome.

On my first 15 or so swings with this shaft I put at least 10 of those shots square off the trunk or inner limbs near the middle or top of this tree with a hard echoing thud. It was probably the most fun I have ever had at a driving range. Just shot after shot flying solidly and squarely into this poor tree. And they were on a frozen rope type line and trajectory. I literally couldn't miss. Also the feel of the shaft was as good as it gets. It made the AD DI feel like junk. I hate when people say things like that, but that really was my experience during this session. The feel and accuracy of the Chrome were off the charts.

While I had no intention of swapping shafts for the round because I was so strong off the tee during my last round, I couldn't ignore the results the Chrome gave me. Unfortunately, my results were not as solid on the course. I hit the occasion block out to the right on a few drives and hit a number of low draws that resulting in solid results but were dangerously close to being very bad. In general I just didn't have the feel and confidence yet with the shaft. I went back to my AD DI for the back nine and while I wasn't great, I did straighten things out and rattled off 7 straight pars to finish up.

The jury is still out, as it should be given that I have only owned this shaft for a weekend. But if I can re-create my initial driving range results going forward this may be the best shaft I have played. Ever. I wonder if the counter-balancing just takes me some getting used to?

More to come...

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1404142397' post='9607793']
I got some reps in with my Elements Chrome 7F5T this weekend, both on the range and on the course with generally positive results.

I was set to play 18 hole Sunday coming off what has been the best driving round of the year for me the weekend before with my usual 910D3 AD DI 7x combo and got in a range session Saturday evening when I gave the Chrome a run for the first time.

My initial thoughts were wildly good. I mean game-changing incredibly good. My usual range has a large Oak tree at what I estimate to be about 250 years out and the tees were set up so that it was straight away for me. I had been hitting drives with the AD DI that were in the vicinity of the tree, sometimes a little left, sometimes a little right, and most that were catching a limb as they started to fall out of the sky.

Enter the Chrome.

On my first 15 or so swings with this shaft I put at least 10 of those shots square off the trunk or inner limbs near the middle or top of this tree with a hard echoing thud. It was probably the most fun I have ever had at a driving range. Just shot after shot flying solidly and squarely into this poor tree. And they were on a frozen rope type line and trajectory. I literally couldn't miss. Also the feel of the shaft was as good as it gets. It made the AD DI feel like junk. I hate when people say things like that, but that really was my experience during this session. The feel and accuracy of the Chrome were off the charts.

While I had no intention of swapping shafts for the round because I was so strong off the tee during my last round, I couldn't ignore the results the Chrome gave me. Unfortunately, my results were not as solid on the course. I hit the occasion block out to the right on a few drives and hit a number of low draws that resulting in solid results but were dangerously close to being very bad. In general I just didn't have the feel and confidence yet with the shaft. I went back to my AD DI for the back nine and while I wasn't great, I did straighten things out and rattled off 7 straight pars to finish up.

The jury is still out, as it should be given that I have only owned this shaft for a weekend. But if I can re-create my initial driving range results going forward this may be the best shaft I have played. Ever. I wonder if the counter-balancing just takes me some getting used to?

More to come...
[/quote]

Could be throwing your swing weight off just a bit. Maybe take some lead tape with you next time and experiment?

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1404144834' post='9608127']
[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1404142397' post='9607793']

Enter the Chrome.

More to come...
[/quote]

Could be throwing your swing weight off just a bit. Maybe take some lead tape with you next time and experiment?
[/quote]

Yes, that could be it. I will be curious how it performs once I do the little things like get it on my scale and figure out the swingweight and put on my preferred grip w/ a few extra wraps to get the set up exactly like my gamer.

Back to SW, I would have thought the counter balancing would make it feel light, correct? It actually felt a little heavy. Not necessarily head heavy, just overall which was a surprise since the shafts' respective raw weights are within 2 grams.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

[quote name='Judge Smails' timestamp='1404148175' post='9608487']

Back to SW, I would have thought the counter balancing would make it feel light, correct? It actually felt a little heavy. Not necessarily head heavy, just overall which was a surprise since the shafts' respective raw weights are within 2 grams.
[/quote]

I observed that as well. Actually, that's what I [i]liked[/i] about it!

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense if it's counterbalanced. Maybe the balance point isn't that high up after all...beats me.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I'm kinda in the same boat. Had the Chrome 1/2 shorter than I would normally, which has thrown the SW off a little, and resulting in me feeling as if I'm not quite loading the shaft properly, but I'll add around 4-6 grams of lead tape to the back of my Bio Cell to see if that makes the difference. No Swingweight port in the Bio cell head for any hotmelt, but I may pick up a Titleist 913, because they're doing some good deals on them atm, and because Titleist have weights sold seperately, I can get that SW back up to where I need it, and in theory, should mean I am loading the shaft that bit better.

For what it's worth, I can tell you guys I have my G25 loaded with tungsten tape squares and swingweighted to D9 right now. Oddly enough, it really doesn't feel that heavy. More impressively, it swings very easy, is simple to load and hits high bombs. I've adjusted to the heavier overall weight and now other drivers at D3 or so, feel like feathers.

Oh yeah, 66 & 69 on the weekend with very few fairways missed. It's amazing to me how much easier the game feels when you can keep it in play off the tee. So, the honeymoon continues and I'm lovin' this shaft. It sounds silly but the more I get used to it, the better it seems to get.

just to add to this thread but need to clarify first. I have been a TM guy now for 4/5 years. So, really wanted to like the SLDR and actually started with one in the first run last fall. Fast forward to March and three heads and five shafts later just was not for me. Based on research on the chrome and Will P telling me it is a good combo, had him build me one for a last bite at the apple wiht the SLDR. After three rounds, very glad I did. I am getting better flight and control and i have hit enough other combos to say for me at least this is a winner. Only wish i would have tried this three monts and a few hundred dollars ago. i dont notice crazy length gains but i do feel like over the course of 18 holes this combo has proven to be a winner for me. have tried three titliest combos, BB and also CT 2.0 Tour. Just my $.02

[quote name='Elpresidente' timestamp='1404229244' post='9616051']
I want to try it, which flex should i take, 110-115 mph SS with a relatively early release. Fubuki K60x is now in my Driver. Want to pair it with a 430 SLDr 10.5.

Thanks
[/quote]

sounds strange because the fubuki is a little soft and high launching with that SS

I wouldn't foresee many playing the fubuki and the 430 because they are geared towards different crowds

I went the 70 gram x flex my SS is just a bit higher than yours but you will be more than able to handle the xflex

chrome is a 100x better shaft for dispersion vs the fubuki

[quote name='redraider1685' timestamp='1404229765' post='9616133']
I want to try it, which flex should i take, 110-115 mph SS with a relatively early release. Fubuki K60x is now in my Driver. Want to pair it with a 430 SLDr 10.5.

Thanks
[/quote]

[b]sounds strange because the fubuki is a little soft and high launching with that SS[/b]

I wouldn't foresee many playing the fubuki and the 430 because they are geared towards different crowds

I went the 70 gram x flex my SS is just a bit higher than yours but you will be more than able to handle the xflex

chrome is a 100x better shaft for dispersion vs the fubuki
[/quote]

Doesn't necessarily matter. The Fubuki may be "soft" (actually the K isn't that weak), but golfers with late to very late releases are the ones who really see the benefit from a tip-stiff profile.

For him I'd say go with the 6F5T. He could try tipping a 6F4T if he's really smooth.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Thanks
[/quote]

At that ss you will definitely be in the f5t flex profile. The weight will all depend on the dynamics of your swing such as load, tempo, and release point but will most likely be between the 6f5t and 7f5t.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251573888165

Did you buy a new driver or give up on the shaft?

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

[quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1404268116' post='9620441']

[/quote]

Believe it or not, my wife bought me one off of my wishlist before she knew I had already made the purchase.

So, i have two, of the exact same set ups. To keep the wife happy, gotta get the other one back so she can buy "nessessities".

Chrome is here to stay in my bag. But unfortunately, I like my wife, a lot. So my ho'ing has to stay under control.

[quote name='BackwardsGolfer' timestamp='1404268757' post='9620505']
[quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1404268116' post='9620441']

[/quote]

Believe it or not, my wife bought me one off of my wishlist before she knew I had already made the purchase.

So, i have two, of the exact same set ups. To keep the wife happy, gotta get the other one back so she can buy "nessessities".

Chrome is here to stay in my bag. But unfortunately, I like my wife, a lot. So my ho'ing has to stay under control.
[/quote]

Smart man. Me, on the other hand, will be looking for another to go into my FW.......and then, maybe another for an upcoming G30

Hey BG, I'm not sure I've seen that kind of increase in ball speed before. Is there anything you might attribute it to besides the shaft? Calculating your clubhead speed from the smash factor, you actually swung slower with the Chrome, 109 vs. 110.34, yet the ball speed went up!

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1404271349' post='9620713']
Hey BG, I'm not sure I've seen that kind of increase in ball speed before. Is there anything you might attribute it to besides the shaft? Calculating your clubhead speed from the smash factor, you actually swung slower with the Chrome, 109 vs. 110.34, yet the ball speed went up!
[/quote]

I noticed that as well! Fractionally speaking, maybe slightly more center (or hot spot) contact?

[quote name='BackwardsGolfer' timestamp='1404272848' post='9620879']
[/quote]

I noticed that as well! Fractionally speaking, maybe slightly more center (or hot spot) contact?
[/quote]
I would kill for a 1.5 smash. Here I am, sitting with a tour avg 113 mph swing speed, and I can't get anywhere near their carry because my smash is only 1.42 :(

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1404273819' post='9621001']
[quote name='BackwardsGolfer' timestamp='1404272848' post='9620879']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I would kill for a 1.5 smash. Here I am, sitting with a tour avg 113 mph swing speed, and I can't get anywhere near their carry because my smash is only 1.42 :(
[/quote]

Have you tested a variety of heads?