2014 The Open Championship....July 14th - 20th (Merged)

kemau

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='fowlerscousin' timestamp='1405348619' post='9696825']
That DM article is implying Gary Woodland played with just a wedge and a putter. I refuse to believe that.
[/quote]

Heard that as well. Played practice round with just a wedge and a putter. Because his clubs hadn't arrived yet is the reason.

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest. Just an opinion. Last year when "Bones" Mackay was giving an emotional interview right after Phil won, I had to cringe when he referred to the "British Open" about fifteen times in the span of two minutes. I think he was standing on the 18th green at the time. I mean, if there was ever a time and place to dispense with that appellation, it was then.

[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1405347115' post='9696659']
[quote name='Jim Clark' timestamp='1405346880' post='9696633']
Already lots of interest. Usual good thread start kemau.

The tall grasses there look WAY tougher than Royal Aberdeen, much thicker (like the stuff at my club). There will be lost balls in that junk this week. And it will give players fits who try to play out of it.

Should be fun to watch.
[/quote]

Ok now I am curious, which is your club??
[/quote]

Trump National, Washington, DC (formerly Lowes Island Club). The two courses were designed by Tom Fazio and Arthur Hills. They wanted them to be "links-like" and have the tall grasses. When Mr. Trump bought the club, he made many changes. He took out many trees and increased the tall grass areas. If your ball is headed toward the junk (as we call it), it's a necessary provisional. The courses are not quite links-like because we are in a flood plain and normally get little or no role. It's now 7700 yards but plays longer (no roll and elevated greens). I've never tried playing the new back tees, on many par 4's I couldn't get to the fairway, on some par 3's I couldn't get there with a driver.

The majority of members are happy that Mr. Trump bought the club, there have been many improvements everywhere. It is more expensive but that was expected.

http://www.trumpnationaldc.com/

[quote name='Jim Clark' timestamp='1405350206' post='9697011']
[quote name='imakaveli' timestamp='1405347115' post='9696659']
[quote name='Jim Clark' timestamp='1405346880' post='9696633']
Already lots of interest. Usual good thread start kemau.

The tall grasses there look WAY tougher than Royal Aberdeen, much thicker (like the stuff at my club). There will be lost balls in that junk this week. And it will give players fits who try to play out of it.

Should be fun to watch.
[/quote]

Ok now I am curious, which is your club??
[/quote]

Trump National, Washington, DC (formerly Lowes Island Club). The two courses were designed by Tom Fazio and Arthur Hills. They wanted them to be "links-like" and have the tall grasses. When Mr. Trump bought the club, he made many changes. He took out many trees and increased the tall grass areas. If your ball is headed toward the junk (as we call it), it's a necessary provisional. The courses are not quite links-like because we are in a flood plain and normally get little or no role. It's now 7700 yards but plays longer (no roll and elevated greens). I've never tried playing the new back tees, on many par 4's I couldn't get to the fairway, on some par 3's I couldn't get there with a driver.

The majority of members are happy that Mr. Trump bought the club, there have been many improvements everywhere. It is more expensive but that was expected.

[url="http://www.trumpnationaldc.com/"]http://www.trumpnationaldc.com/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks!

[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1405350398' post='9697035']
[quote name='exquisitechip' timestamp='1405349413' post='9696919']
I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest. [/quote]

I'm curious. Do you think it sounds dumb to hear someone say U.S. Masters? Or U.S. P.G.A.?
[/quote]

Can we please have one Open thread without this asinine discussion?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='Bingo1976' timestamp='1405351103' post='9697115']
[quote name='PGArox' timestamp='1405350398' post='9697035']
I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest. [/quote]

I'm curious. Do you think it sounds dumb to hear someone say U.S. Masters? Or U.S. P.G.A.?
[/quote]

Can we please have one Open thread without this asinine discussion?
[/quote]
Well, we have the same discussion every year, so.... ;)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

This will be the first Open (hell first PGA tournament) that I've attended. Working in London so I thought why not?

Currently only planning to be there Saturday for schedule reasons but I'm on the fence on doing the whole weekend. Tickets don't sell out which is incredible.

I'm curious what people think the most enjoyable way to watch will be? Have to assume the options are follow a couple of groups around or plant yourself on one hole and see everyone come through. Anyone have strong opinions either way?

[quote name='Tmal' timestamp='1405351877' post='9697221']
This will be the first Open (hell first PGA tournament) that I've attended. Working in London so I thought why not?

Currently only planning to be there Saturday for schedule reasons but I'm on the fence on doing the whole weekend. Tickets don't sell out which is incredible.

I'm curious what people think the most enjoyable way to watch will be? Have to assume the options are follow a couple of groups around or plant yourself on one hole and see everyone come through. Anyone have strong opinions either way?
[/quote]

Entervery early, go to the pavillion and buy merchandise first, leav your shopping bag there, you can take it at the end of the day --> go to practice range/approach area and see them practice --> pick the names you want to follow (very big one + a couple of adiacent flights) and follow them in the morning --> grab lunch and sit around an interesting green and watch the action --> repeat what you have done in the morning for the afternoon --> go to the range at the end of the day and enjoy some more players practicing after their round --> go to the village and have a beer cheering to the great day you just had. Have fun! ;)

I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, [b]but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest.[/b]
[/quote]

No, it really doesn't. The R&A's rebranding of this event as "The Open Championship" is a relatively recent development. For decades it was commonly referred to as the British Open, on both sides of the pond. As others have already noted, this topic comes up regularly here and you should be able to find plenty of threads which discuss the topic.

Looks very different to 2006 - the place was a dust bowl when Tiger won.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='bscinstnct' timestamp='1405352051' post='9697251']
Go Phil!

[b] [size=5]Mickelson drank $40K bottle of wine out of claret jug[/size][/b]

[url="http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/mickelson-drank-40000-bottle-wine-out-claret-jug/"]http://www.golfchann...out-claret-jug/[/url]
[/quote]

[i]“One of the things that I stressed is that we have to treat the claret jug with reverence and respect that it deserves and only put good stuff in it,” he said with a laugh Monday at the Open Championship. [/i]

Using the jug to swap backwash with Rick Reilly is not exactly "reverence and respect".

I think the course could work out for Tiger. Yeah, it's softer, but he will still probably hit irons and woods off of just about every hole. And if the greens are more receptive, he can aim right for targets and not worry so much about landing areas and how much runoff the ball might get.

But what I found concerning was how Todd Lewis said Tiger missed "most" of his fairways on Saturday. That's bad, especially if he was hitting irons.

Missing fairways with irons will end your chances right away. If he's struggling with his swing that much, he might as well just hit driver and get himself closer to the green.

I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest.

Some people refuse to call it Open Championship because it takes of importance from the US Open, at the end of the day it's just a name. It's the oldest major, call it whatever you like ;)

Edit: this is from 1935, I am sure somebody else will find something older

collected_for_posterity_1.jpg

1922 Champion's medal

Walter-1.jpg

I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest.

Some people refuse to call it Open Championship because it takes of importance from the US Open, at the end of the day it's just a name. It's the oldest major, call it whatever you like ;)

Educational, thank you. I google the name I saw on the upper left of the right page, Bert Gadd. Look, "cigarette card" golf tips...

!B1WuYywB2k~$(KGrHqZ,!jIE)rF-enepBMeMs-39MQ~~_1.JPG

I just call it the British Open because that is what I have heard it called most of my life. It is not intended as disrespect or a slight in favor of the US Open.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Educational, thank you. I google the name I saw on the upper left of the right page, Bert Gadd. Look, "cigarette card" golf tips...

!B1WuYywB2k~$(KGrHqZ,!jIE)rF-enepBMeMs-39MQ~~_1.JPG

My pleasure!

I am still picturing Stricker throwing peas to the John Deere's trophy btw :D

[quote name='mrt99' timestamp='1405352949' post='9697377']
I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, [b]but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest.[/b]
[/quote]

No, it really doesn't. The R&A's rebranding of this event as "The Open Championship" is a relatively recent development. For decades it was commonly referred to as the British Open, on both sides of the pond. As others have already noted, this topic comes up regularly here and you should be able to find plenty of threads which discuss the topic.
[/quote]

I'll save you the effort. Here's a thread with numerous examples of R&A officials, the British press, Seve Ballesteros, etc., referring to this weeks tournament as the British Open. Of course you'll have to wade through a lot of nonsense (as per usual here in Tour Talk...our favorite Italian troll makes regular appearances later in this particular thread) to get to the relevant stuff.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/634910-british-open-vs-open-championship/page__st__420

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1405354312' post='9697541']
I just call it the British Open because that is what I have heard it called most of my life. It is not intended as disrespect or a slight in favor of the US Open.
[/quote]

I hear you. Not so much on "British Open" but in other instances. I still refer to ______ as ______, or ______ as ______ and even though it might mortify my family and friends when I use such terms, why should I change? It's what I am used to. We are just set in our ways aren't we. Hehe.

oops, edited for offensive language.

[quote name='mrt99' timestamp='1405354944' post='9697625']
[quote name='mrt99' timestamp='1405352949' post='9697377']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I'll save you the effort. Here's a thread with numerous examples of R&A officials, the British press, Seve Ballesteros, etc., referring to this weeks tournament as the British Open. Of course you'll have to wade through a lot of nonsense (as per usual here in Tour Talk...our favorite Italian troll makes regular appearances later in this particular thread) to get to the relevant stuff.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/634910-british-open-vs-open-championship/page__st__420"]http://www.golfwrx.c...p/page__st__420[/url]
[/quote]

Hey buddy, good to see you again for the British Open week! Enjoy the competition! ;)