2014 The Open Championship....July 14th - 20th (Merged)

kemau

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tekin112000' timestamp='1405357819' post='9698007']
That rough is thick and deep.

I hope some day I have the means to play an old links course in the UK but the photo above is a daunting sight.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/131351-imakaveli/"]imakaveli[/url] great pictures and a great addditions to this thread, thanks
[/quote]

Glad you liked them!

[quote name='mrt99' timestamp='1405352949' post='9697377']
[quote name='exquisitechip' timestamp='1405349413' post='9696919']
I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, [b]but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest.[/b]
[/quote]

No, it really doesn't. The R&A's rebranding of this event as "The Open Championship" is a relatively recent development. For decades it was commonly referred to as the British Open, on both sides of the pond. As others have already noted, this topic comes up regularly here and you should be able to find plenty of threads which discuss the topic.
[/quote]

Not really. Check out Youtube. Type in '1924 Hoylake'. You will find an old original Pathe film where it was titled 'The Open Golf Championship'. 90 years isn't exactly a 'recent rebranding'. Not to me anyhow.

Even better view of the 18

Bsgyb8ZCcAA9VUq.jpg

It's raining....in England...what a shock. :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1405358082' post='9698045']
I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, [b]but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest.[/b]
[/quote]

No, it really doesn't. The R&A's rebranding of this event as "The Open Championship" is a relatively recent development. For decades it was commonly referred to as the British Open, on both sides of the pond. As others have already noted, this topic comes up regularly here and you should be able to find plenty of threads which discuss the topic.
[/quote]

Not really. Check out Youtube. Type in '1924 Hoylake'. You will find an old original Pathe film where it was titled 'The Open Golf Championship'. 90 years isn't exactly a 'recent rebranding'. Not to me anyhow.
[/quote]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K80fSt_Nsjo[/media]

Check out the trophy presentation. And again, feel free to take a look at the, admittedly lengthy, thread I linked to earlier with ample evidence of this weeks tournament regularly being referred to as the "British Open" by the R&A, British press, and European players.

I know people are free to call it 'The British Open' and everything, but it makes you sound kind of dumb to be honest.

[media=]

[/media]

Check out the trophy presentation. And again, feel free to take a look at the, admittedly lengthy, thread I linked to earlier with ample evidence of this weeks tournament regularly being referred to as the "British Open" by the R&A, British press, and European players.

I like this game!

more_cash_in_the_attic_2_1.jpg

[quote name='Tmal' timestamp='1405351877' post='9697221']
This will be the first Open (hell first PGA tournament) that I've attended. Working in London so I thought why not?

Currently only planning to be there Saturday for schedule reasons but I'm on the fence on doing the whole weekend. Tickets don't sell out which is incredible.

I'm curious what people think the most enjoyable way to watch will be? Have to assume the options are follow a couple of groups around or plant yourself on one hole and see everyone come through. Anyone have strong opinions either way?
[/quote]

Find the beer tent and stay there. :good:

Personally on the weekend, i'll follow any of the big names that are out early and arrive back at the 1st tee in time for the leaders.

910D3 8.5* 
910F 17* 
AP2 (714) 3-PW 
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* 
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

I look at the quality of the poster before I respond. Quick search shows he isn't worth peoples time.

The Open or British Open, who cares. It's a major week people!!!

Ping G400 LST HZRDUS Black tipped .5 9'
Taylormade M1 (2016) 15 Fubuki Z S
Rocketballz 19' ATX Green S
X2Hot 22' ATX Green S
Callaway Apex Pro (2014) C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
James Ingles Scratch Handmande

[quote name='mrt99' timestamp='1405358521' post='9698109']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1405358082' post='9698045']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K80fSt_Nsjo[/media]

[/quote]

Interesting title to the Vid though, don't you think? 1930 Open Championship? The word 'British' was simply added at that time from time to time, because Americans were starting to come over and play more often and to colloquially distinguish it from the relatively new US Open, so that people from over the Pond understood the difference. It was just a colloquiallism used at that time sometimes, as it was often thought it would offend American Players and visitors if the phrase 'Open Championship' was demanded to be adhered to. We were trying to be polite!! But term 'Open Championship' was always used as the 'proper' term. The fact some individuals were simply trying to be polite by using the term 'British Open' from time to time is somewhat irrelevant to the fact. The R&A's decision to 'market' the championship as 'The Open' in the last couple of decades was taken as an understanding the our American cousins would no longer feel threatened and would be comfortable enough in their own skins by now the fact their is Major Golf Championship Championship older than them. It's really not meant to be disrespectful or 'up ourselves' or anything like that. But whether members of the media at the time used the term 'British Open' is totally irrelevant. It's like saying in 90 years time when people look at what Michael Breed and Johnny Miller say, that it must have been right!

If you were a Soccer fan you would understand what I meant over here in the UK. Many people refer to the FA Cup final, as simply 'The Cup Final'. When somebody says 'The Cup Final' we all know the 'proper' and official name has always been The FA Cup Final, but either way, no-one is, or should be offended. I'm ceratainly not offended if somebody wants to call it the 'British Open'. As long as they understand the correct name is and always has been 'The Open'. But 'British Open' is fine to call it, as a colloquialism too. It's both fine with me.

Oops, the BBC must not have received the memo. Here they are calling it the British Open in 2011.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-13322752

Anyhow, I could care less what anyone calls it, but I do want to push back against the morons in this thread who get upset when someone calls this weeks tournament the British Open and suggest that it's only ignorant Americans who would do so. There is ample evidence that this weeks tournament has been regularly referred to as the British Open for decades (by the R&A, British press, European players, etc.). It's only been over the past decade or two that the R&A has attempted to banish the "British Open" from the lexicon (sadly, ESPN has seemed to acquiesce, but for the occasional Paul Azinger slip).

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1405360369' post='9698355'][b]If you were a Soccer fan[/b] you would understand what I meant over here in the UK. Many people refer to the FA Cup final, as simply 'The Cup Final'. When somebody says 'The Cup Final' we all know the 'proper' and official name has always been The FA Cup Final
[/quote]

I am. A big one. COYW...

And isn't actually the Budweiser FA Cup final now...

best story of the tournament from a local factory worker who gave it a shot and won the qualifier....initial july 2nd article is when he qualified and then an update on july 7th with word from his job for what they're doing to cheer him on

** Wirral factory worker secures place at The British Open with clubs he borrowed from mate **

Jul 02, 2014

JS40878165.jpg

A Wirral factory worker secured a place in The British Open golf championship after he won a qualifier with clubs that he borrowed from his mate.

John Singleton, from Moreton booked his place at the world-renowned tournament after a dramatic play-off win using two wedges that his mate lent to him.

Moreton-born Singleton, who works five days a week in a resin factory in Birkenhead, was absolutely delighted to have made it through to the 143rd Open at Hoylake.

Singleton, who works full-time on a shop floor at a resin factory in Birkenhead, told the ECHO of his “amazement” over qualifying.

The 30-year-old said: “I’m overwhelmed by it all. It’s a great achievement. I never thought that I would play in The Open. It’s not sunk in that I’m going to play in The Open in Hoylake. At a local course to me. I can’t believe it.

“It’s every golfers dream to play in The Open and I thought that it would never happen to me.

“I have Mizuno Irons. I had to borrow two wedges to play at Hillside. I was given them by a friend of mine. That’s crazy in itself to borrow two wedges to qualify for The Open. I have a Taylor Made putter – that’s one of the things that I do own.

“My form just peaked at the right time.”

Singleton will learn tomorrow if his bosses will allow him the two weeks off to play in the major tournament.

He said: “I’m just a production person on a shop floor. I start at 8am and finish at 4.30pm. I make batches of thick resin and I made five batches of it last week. It’s three and a half tonnes per batch. I made five batches last week. It’s a resin that goes over wires and it’s used for water proofing. I was just lucky to get the job and I’ve worked there for over a year.

“I’m going into work tomorrow morning. So I will find out if I can find out to have two weeks off work so that I can play in The Open. I hope I’m given it. It should be a fine."

“I have bosses who have been brilliant with me and they have done everything that they could do to support me. They know that golf is a huge part of my life. I owe them a huge thank you.”

Singleton practices after work five days a week up until 8pm at Eastham Lodge.

JS40878455.jpg

Golfer John Singleton aged 30, who lives in Wallasey, Wirral,from Eastham Lodge Golf Club,and has qualified for The Open at Royal Liverpool Golf Club, Hoylake. John Singleton (far right), practising at Prenton Driving Range,watched by his best friend Ally Haddon (2nd right), who will be his caddy,Paul Derbyshire (owner), and golfers at the range.

He added: “My routine is to finish work and then go to golf practice. The club captain of Eastham Lodge, Jim O’Connor, called me to say that he was very proud of me. He was excited for me. He said you should go enjoy yourself.”

Singleton laughed uncontrollably when he was asked about his chances of winning The Open.

He added: “Apparently I was 1,500 to one to win on Tuesday. This could be my only chance at playing in The Open but it could be a catalyst to better things. So I will enjoy myself. I will have friends and family there and that means a lot to me. I can’t believe that I’m playing in The Open.

"I woke up yesterday morning and I went to walk at the course to see the stands. I don’t think it’s going to hit me until I see the people in the stands. When I walk down the 18th people will be grinning at me in the stands. It’s a dream come true.

"I'd like to be paired with Tom Watson to be honest. He is a legend and it would be a dream come true for me. I would not like to get up at 5am with Tiger Woods."

Singleton went to America in 2003 to complete a golf scholarship at Rend Lake College in South Illinois.

He turned professional while in America but he came back to Wirral in 2010 after becoming home sick and after picking up a knee ligament injury.

He underwent an operation in the UK but soon after he picked up another injury in his other knee and he had to go under the surgeon's knife again.

He moved into with his parents home when he came back to the UK and he moved in with his pregnant fiancée, Lucy Johnson, in July last year.

Singleton was one of three players to secure a slot for The Open in the final day of qualifying at Hillside on Tuesday. He had added a best of the afternoon 66 to his opening round of 72.

Twelve places were up for grabs in total across four different venues On Tuesday and Singleton was joined by Challenge Tour players Chris Hanson and Sweden’s Oscar Floren.

Yorkshire amateur Chris Marsh had finished the day tied with the trio on a score of six under par after two rounds but couldn’t match their pars at the second play-off hole.

** Wirral factory worker John Singleton to be cheered on at British Open by workmates after bosses give staff day off **

Jul 07, 2014

Resin plant mixer John Singleton is gearing up for the championships at Royal Liverpool in Hoylake

JS40878165.jpg

Golfer John Singleton aged 30,who lives in Wallasey,Wirral, from Eastham Lodge Golf Club, has qualified for The Open at Royal Liverpool Golf Club, Hoylake.

A Wirral factory worker will be cheered on by workmates at next week’s Open golf championship – after bosses gave staff a day off and bought them tickets for the tournament.

John Singleton, a resin plant mixer at Advanced Electrical Varnishes (AEV) in Birkenhead, booked his place at the prestigious event at Royal Liverpool golf club after winning a qualifier with clubs borrowed from a friend last week.

Factory bosses have not only agreed to give the 30-year-old two weeks off to compete in the tournament – they have also paid for his colleagues to cheer him on at the course.

Speaking at an event at Birkenhead School, where the Wirral qualifier got his hands on the Claret Jug for the first time, and gave some tips to budding young golfers, Mr Singleton said: “They’ve been fantastic, they’ve given me two weeks off work to prepare and play in the Open which is brilliant of them.

“They have also got the staff some tickets so they can all come and support me which I just think is a fantastic gesture.

“At the moment it’s all about preparation and rest, hopefully I can get back into my routine as quickly as possible.

“It will be really important for me because all this is quite overwhelming.

“On that first practice day, when I see people in the stands and all the people walking around with me, I think it will hit home then.”

Singleton, from Moreton, and AEV operations director, Richard Tweddle, are both members of Eastham Lodge golf club, and the factory boss was among those there cheering Singleton on at the final day of qualifying at Hillside, where he booked his dream place at the Open.

Mr Tweddle said: “Because we cut John some slack we thought we ought to cut everybody else some. We gave them a day’s holiday and said if they want to take it on Thursday and go to the Open we would buy them tickets.

“I think John’s still got his feet on the ground, he’s such a nice guy, he really is.

“We have the same passion, if only I could play as well as he can!

“It’s just amazing. Who would ever think that the guy from the shop floor would make it to the pinnacle of his chosen sport? I just hope he enjoys it.”

Singleton visited Birkenhead School as part of a tour of the Claret Jug around Wirral schools in the lead-up to this year’s tournament.

Youngsters from the school will be among those from schools across the borough volunteering at Royal Liverpool during the championships, carrying out a range of tasks including litter-picking, IT and media support.

Singleton was joined at the school by Andy Cross, who was Royal Liverpool’s captain the last time Hoylake hosted the Open in 2006.

Mr Cross, who is a Birkenhead School old boy and current governor, spoke of his delight at being able to bring the Claret Jug into the school for youngsters to see at close quarters.

He said: “It’s a great thing that young people are inspired to play golf and get involved in the Open.

“There’s so much excitement among everybody in the community.

“The school volunteer programme gives young golf enthusiasts the chance to watch the world’s best golfers at close quarters, while also providing invaluable support at one of the biggest events in the sporting calendar.”

Nick Peel, chairman of the Royal Liverpool Open Championship Committee, said: “The pupils involved in the school volunteer programme have a vital role to play in helping to make the Open Championship at Royal Liverpool as memorable as possible not just for the golfers but for the 200,000 or so spectators who are expected to attend the event.”

Singleton was joined by a few famous faces taking the chance to get in some early practice at Royal Liverpool this weekend.

Stars spotted at the course included Rory McIlroy, who tweeted a picture with the message: ‘Great day at Royal Liverpool getting some early prep in for The Open Championship!’

Other golfers taking in a practice round included English golfer Paul Casey and Australian pros Brett Rumford and Bryden Macpherson.

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

[quote name='mrt99' timestamp='1405360778' post='9698399']
Oops, the BBC must not have received the memo. Here they are calling it the British Open in 2011.

[url="http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-13322752"]http://www.bbc.com/n...europe-13322752[/url]

Anyhow, I could care less what anyone calls it, but I do want to push back against the morons in this thread who get upset when someone calls this weeks tournament the British Open and suggest that it's only ignorant Americans who would do so. There is ample evidence that this weeks tournament has been regularly referred to as the British Open for decades (by the R&A, British press, European players, etc.). It's only been over the past decade or two that the R&A has attempted to banish the "British Open" from the lexicon (sadly, ESPN has seemed to acquiesce, but for the occasional Paul Azinger slip).
[/quote]

Yes, you are only citing individual colloquialisms again. You seem to be getting mixed up between a colloquialism and an official title in spite of my example of the FA Cup Final and The Cup Final. I'm very sorry you didn't understand that, but I can't think of a clearer way to explain it, for which I'm very sorry. But that's fine, I can't think of a way of explaining any easier for you, so I'll have to bow down and admit that I failed to get you to understand the differences between a widely used colloquialism and an official title. No harm done after all.