The Wager...

Pigems

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1428947411' post='11349017']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1428940529' post='11347993']
[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1428936083' post='11347339']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1428932027' post='11346731']
Happy to hear that the crew was able to get a round of golf in yesterday (Nuggets, I'm not sure : )

I too ventured to the course. First time I've been able to wear a short sleeve shirt outside this spring.

I was fighting a pull/hook throughout the round. A great opportunity to work on my short game as I didn't hit many greens. Hit a handful of really solid pitch shots to short-sided pins and escaped a few bunkers (an area of my game that needs work).

The Machine felt solid, but I was missing putts left. Mid-round I attempted to putt by looking at the hole during the stroke. Distance control was exceptional, but I didn't sink many. I went home and read the Machine website. I discovered that installed my Delta Mods improperly and the putter was playing 3* upright (75*). I'll get this equipment figured out eventually ; )
[/quote]

That is cool though that one can adjust it so easily ....could you post a picture again so we can drool over it? I know it's on here, but many pages back in this "Golfopoedia Britannica". :taunt:
I just got word that work on the custom refinish on my 2ball will be resumed this week and can't wait to get it back and in play!
[/quote]

The 2 ball is a timeless and highly success design. Would love to see pictures of the finished product when it arrives. Did you alter finish/specs?
[/quote]

Will do. Check out the [i]Spry Evo[/i] website for some examples of his work.

I love the look, weight and size of my White Steel 2 ball Centre-Shafted and the bit of pop from the white steel vs a softer insert (like on my Versa).

I decided to make it a one-off keeper, with a great- feeling insert throughout the face. It is being refurbished and recoated in space black teflon, with a carbon fibre insert. The 2 ball discs are being replaced, probably in a silver mist blast finish. We discussed a grip change too, but I may just leave what is there now (a made-by Winn Ping AVS 76g mid that feels great) or change it when it gets back.
[/quote]

Big fan of both his copper and carbon insert. Would have added one to a putter, but don't really have anything with an insert (save for a SeeMore that I purchased as a deal and never fell in love with).

I have always been envious of a golfer who is smitten with his/her putter. Think of the good memories that Ben Crenshaw forged with "Little Ben".

That's what this Wager has been about for me. I want to commit to a full set of clubs (driver to putter) that I love the look and performance of. A set that I feel totally confident with. A set that I'd rather re-finish than replace.

I believe I'm really close.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1428954900' post='11350053']
That putter would destroy my wallet, every time I missed a putt I'd be buying new pieces for it lol. But dang, she is some purdy ;)
[/quote]

Or you could destroy your wallet one 'bargain bin purchase' at a time Pigs. I'm choosing to go all-in at one time so I stop hoarding clubs.

Plus, the Machine and all of it's accessories takes up far less space.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1428956646' post='11350247']
Great looking putter P.D.,

I won't even keep 2 putters on hand cause I switch back and forth and never get comfortable with either of them. Looks like you've got several in one there.
[/quote]

I'm trying to finally replace the 6 I have sitting around the house Bick. I don't usually switch back and forth. I simply divorce and more on. Each one then curses my game from the closet.

NO MORE!

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1428966041' post='11351305']
[quote name='BicknellCC' timestamp='1428956646' post='11350247']
Great looking putter P.D.,

I won't even keep 2 putters on hand cause I switch back and forth and never get comfortable with either of them. Looks like you've got several in one there.
[/quote]

I'm trying to finally replace the 6 I have sitting around the house Bick. I don't usually switch back and forth. I simply divorce and more on. Each one then curses my game from the closet.

NO MORE!
[/quote]

I tend to be the same way with clubs generally, though sometimes I do part with one too quickly if I do an "upgrade".

Part of is feelling that it looks better to my spouse, but I'm learning that maybe that doesn't make any difference to her. Right now I have my Versa extra ( a good thing waiting for the 2 ball to come back) and a G20 20* hybrid, as i figure if I sell my other G20's at some point maybe it's beter as a set.

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1428965895' post='11351295']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1428954900' post='11350053']
That putter would destroy my wallet, every time I missed a putt I'd be buying new pieces for it lol. But dang, she is some purdy ;)
[/quote]

Or you could destroy your wallet one 'bargain bin purchase' at a time Pigs. I'm choosing to go all-in at one time so I stop hoarding clubs.

Plus, the Machine and all of it's accessories takes up far less space.
[/quote]

Haha touche my friend. I think I am honestly done now. I'm completely satisfied with the current stable. In fact once I can get outside to confirm results I'll be selling everything that doesn't make the bag and going one bag for the season :)

Well, maybe one or two extras ;)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Too many extras to list. Let's just say I'd have a problem with the 10 item limit in the BST if I posted an ad each of the next few days.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1428969888' post='11351771']
Too many extras to list. Let's just say I'd have a problem with the 10 item limit in the BST if I posted an ad each of the next few days.
[/quote]

You'll get it down eventually, one piece or set at a time until they're all gone. Break ups are tough, you have to take it slow :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1428971726' post='11352007']
Question, if I put a 3i shaft in a 4h head. Did I hard step it or soft step it, or neither?? I've never quite understood this process.
[/quote]

Typically when you install a 3 iron shaft into a 4 iron head you are soft stepping (you aren't tipping the shaft as much and the head weight of the club increases). You'd have to look at the weight of the hybrid head in relation to the iron head.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1428972200' post='11352065']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1428971726' post='11352007']
Question, if I put a 3i shaft in a 4h head. Did I hard step it or soft step it, or neither?? I've never quite understood this process.
[/quote]

Typically when you install a 3 iron shaft into a 4 iron head you are soft stepping (you aren't tipping the shaft as much and the head weight of the club increases). You'd have to look at the weight of the hybrid head in relation to the iron head.
[/quote]

TYVM for the clarification sir, much appreciated my good man :)

I forgot to weigh the hybrid head before installing. Oh well if it turns out a little softer I can't always pull it back apart and tip it a touch :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I'm pretty sure I'm going to shorten my irons by 1/2" next weekend when I re grip them. I can always put in extentions if it turns out to be a failed experiment, so I see no reason why not to at least try it :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1428973031' post='11352189']
I'm pretty sure I'm going to shorten my irons by 1/2" next weekend when I re grip them. I can always put in extentions if it turns out to be a failed experiment, so I see no reason why not to at least try it :)
[/quote]

That's pretty much what I did with the Apex MB's... it will be a bit of a change when you grab your gap or sand wedge and it is TALLER than your PW in the bag, but I find it funny. Besides, I use the PW from mostly flat(er) lies and the GW/SW are more from trouble areas and odd lies. If you prefer to stand upright a bit more chipping like I do you will enjoy it. All the better on the old back and knees. :)

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1428997381' post='11354191']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1428973031' post='11352189']
[/quote]

That's pretty much what I did with the Apex MB's... it will be a bit of a change when you grab your gap or sand wedge and it is TALLER than your PW in the bag, but I find it funny. Besides, I use the PW from mostly flat(er) lies and the GW/SW are more from trouble areas and odd lies. If you prefer to stand upright a bit more chipping like I do you will enjoy it. All the better on the old back and knees. :)
[/quote]

How much did you end up cutting off in the end??

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

I agree, must settle on a set once and for all. I believe I'm close as well, I haven't even so much as sniffed another putter since picking up my HB. I actually have a Designed by Ben Crenshaw 8802 Cleveland putter as a back up, but it doesn't see any action any more :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1429016799' post='11354999']
I agree, must settle on a set once and for all. I believe I'm close as well, I haven't even so much as sniffed another putter since picking up my HB. I actually have a Designed by Ben Crenshaw 8802 Cleveland putter as a back up, but it doesn't see any action any more :)
[/quote]

You have made the tinkering and clubbuilding into a hobby and that makes it more difficult deciding on one makeup I'm sure.

But I don't understand guys that say, for example, that they will swap out the 7W for 3H depending on the day. Unless one is playing at high level comps I guess. Now, I want a bag that I can feel comfortable to just grab and go and figure that it will be playable even on a strange course, even different climates/grass on vacation. Darned game is tough enough without indecision getting to the course then second-guessing what you have once you get there.

That's why I try not to keep extra clubs around. If after a couple of "dates" she isn't the one, I prefer to not call them anymore and put 'em on Craigslist or whatever. I guess one advantage to that for me is the megabucks I spent on my Muiras with steelfibre three years ago when I thought I might have to give up the game from arthritis in my hands, mostly thumbs. The expense, plus that they work for me in that respect and playability, means new irons haven't been a consideration. Though I have dabbled in woods and an extra putter on hand since.

I was trying to get the MB's to match the MP-4's but ended up 1/2 inch shorter. :) I don't think they measured based on the reported length of the irons and did it off of "standard" industry length. Doesn't matter as I think I swing them better than "standard" length. Of course, I am more on top of the ball than they teach today. I'm "old school" in my setup... and just old in physical shape. :)

A probing question:

Has anyone had any experience using (and/or thought of using) a 64* wedge?

I'm giving thought to simplifying my life around the greens when I'm short sided. Part of me wonders if I should just stick with opening the face of a 56*/60* wedge and just learn to hit all of the shots with the equipment I have. Another part of me would like to use a standard swing to hit the ball higher.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Just received my GolfWorks catalogue and they have a additional catalogue for Maxfli and Top Flite gear. I've always been a fan of the Top Flite Gamer series of balls, but the Maxfli U6/U4 really intrigue me. I don't need balls, but they are listed at a reasonable price. Anyone have experience with the Maxfli's?

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1429127404' post='11367307']
A probing question:

I'm giving thought to simplifying my life around the greens when I'm short sided. Part of me wonders if I should just stick with opening the face of a 56*/60* wedge and just learn to hit all of the shots with the equipment I have. Another part of me would like to use a standard swing to hit the ball higher.
[/quote]

My 60.07 S grind goes pretty high easily and I'm a bogie golfer. If I tried a 64 I think it would be blade city or I'd have a Titleist tattoo from the inside of my left nostril!

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1429129055' post='11367597']
A probing question:

[/quote]

My 60.07 S grind goes pretty high easily and I'm a bogie golfer. If I tried a 64 I think it would be blade city or I'd have a Titleist tattoo from the inside of my left nostril!
[/quote]

That's what I'm wondering. Am I looking at a 'one trick pony'?

All of the options I've seen are very low bounce as well and this may present a problem.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1429129380' post='11367643']
A probing question:

[/quote]

[/quote]

All of the options I've seen are very low bounce as well and this may present a problem.
[/quote]

I'm more of a sweeper with wedges and I really don't work at opening up that 7 degrees S grind. I do think more than a 60 degree wedge would hardly be used, and how often does one use even a 60 for a full flop?

I imagine the 64 ones are prob 4 degrees of bounce. Have you read some of the posts on the Edel wedges? I've never seen one but the sole sounds unusual and versatile. Of course you would have to find a way to forge TW's identifying markings. :taunt:

A probing question:

[/quote]

I tried one last year(or the year before I can't remember lol) and didn't really like it, felt weird on more than a half swing. But then again it was a Goliath Majical 64* wedge with Mega offset and oversized head(looked like an American open OS wedge witch I was playing at the time). I'm sure a nice 64* wedge would play much better than that thing, but I found for me an open 60* was just as easy to use and didn't take up the extra roster spot. But then again I like to play those kind of open/closed shots with my wedges too, I'm sure everyone isn't like that :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

A probing question:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You could get a high bounce 60*/62* and have it bent back to 64* to get more bounce out of it :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1429129948' post='11367763']
A probing question:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm more of a sweeper with wedges and I really don't work at opening up that 7 degrees S grind. I do think more than a 60 degree wedge would hardly be used, and how often does one use even a 60 for a full flop?

I imagine the 64 ones are prob 4 degrees of bounce. Have you read some of the posts on the Edel wedges? I've never seen one but the sole sounds unusual and versatile. Of course you would have to find a way to forge TW's identifying markings. :taunt:
[/quote]

I have seen the Edel wedges and am intrigued by the shape. I found a 'Feel' wedge on eBay that has a similar profile, but a fraction of the cost.

I was originally looking to experiment as Wishon doesn't offer a 64* option, but Pigs has enlightened me.

I'm going to have my limited edition Wishon wedges bent to 51*, 57* and 62*. 5* gapping that will blend seamlessly with my 46* PW.

Great suggestion Pigs. Didn't even cross my mind (which is odd given that I'm a gear nut : )

Thanks gents.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1429127530' post='11367341']
Just received my GolfWorks catalogue and they have a additional catalogue for Maxfli and Top Flite gear. I've always been a fan of the Top Flite Gamer series of balls, but the Maxfli U6/U4 really intrigue me. I don't need balls, but they are listed at a reasonable price. Anyone have experience with the Maxfli's?
[/quote]

The U4s are similar to the Project A's, but I find the PAs softer and higher in spin. Not bad, especially if on a budget. I haven't had any experience with the U6. :)

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1429149003' post='11369829']
[/quote]

The U4s are similar to the Project A's, but I find the PAs softer and higher in spin. Not bad, especially if on a budget. I haven't had any experience with the U6. :)
[/quote]

Thank you LP,

I may be a dozen of each and pit them against each other.

I keep stating that I'm going to play one ball for a season (and have 6 dozen FG tours lying in wait) but I keep hitting balls that I find in ditches.

No logical reason for this as I don't lose many balls and don't fret over the cost.

Stupidity.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

[quote name='LittlePoison1980' timestamp='1429149003' post='11369829']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I got a dozen U4's at Rawhide recycled golf balls last year, and ended up giving eight of them away. Probably wasn't the ball, but I shot 2 of my worst rounds with them last year. I seemed to lose about one club distance, and my wedges scarred them up quite a bit as well. They would spin and check pretty well on full shots and chips and pitches though. As I stated in the Confessions thread, I've never hit the U6.

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1428143405' post='11281297']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1428119950' post='11280503']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1428102374' post='11278907']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1428101517' post='11278823']
Hey,

I totally won this competition. My bag didn't change and I added a Machine on my wife's dime.

Pigs has a wife (a saint) who saved him on numerous occasions, Nuggets may be incarcerated for all we know, and G64 is clearly the loser because he now works at Golf Town.

My logic is undeniable. PD for President (Prime Minister) ; )
[/quote]

All I know is I didn't win lol, but I did learn some valuable lessons along the way. :)
[/quote]

Pigs, are you still liking the PL Blue?? I'm still liking mine! but I still wonder.......
if there's another shaft made perfectly and beautifully for me, lol.

Nah, I ain't fixin' what ain't broke.
[/quote]

Yes sir, still loving it. I still may pick one up in S flex to try out because there not to expensive, I only bought that other shaft because I wanted to re shaft my g20 but it takes a 335 and the htd is a 350 and I don't really want to shave it down to fit.

What are you thinking about trying??
[/quote]

Sorry I missed your response Pigs.

Anyway, nothing in particular. Just wonder sometimes but am not
gonna get caught up in an expensive shaft extravaganza when the
PL Blue works well enough.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge