No new acquistions...?

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1439266208' post='12114874']
Bad condition means cheaper, which is good for me.
[/quote]

Exactly! When I was piecing together my vintage bag fair condition meant $10/club. It didn't effect the playability, only the appearance. Which makes me wonder; why should we ever worry about appearance if the intent is to use it as a player. That said, I can certainly appreciate a show set, even one that makes its way into play once in a while.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Steve;
That reminds me of a set of clubs I played down in the Dominican Republic a few years ago while on vacation. Virtually no paint left on the crowns of the woods and wear marks on the irons about the size of a walnut. There was an old Cleveland wedge in the bag whose grooves had been nearly worn flat. I remember thinking I wasn't too impressed at the time that a club would be renting out clubs in such poor shape, but that didn't stop me from shooting a decent score without having picked up a club in almost four months! We all like nice looking stuff, but it's not a necessity.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

OK here are my scrap yard finds this week found these in an junked car today;
Ping "Y" Blade putter nice patina in good shape fluted shaft "Pro Only" grip in bad shape will replace the grip this afternoon and put it in either the regular rotation or vintage rotation
Macgregor MT 4 wood winged MT on the crown with Aluminum insert. For some reason this is not as hooked faced as most Macgregor woods. GP green victory grip. In pretty good shape overall winding intact surprised it was not scarred up at all to be found in the back of a junked car in a rotten bag full of junk clubs with no head cover. Of course it may be hit as early as later this afternoon
Forgot one from last week found on the steel pile in the yard. Ram Bristol Gene Littler 8802 style putter. Shaft bent but original and had the round Bristol grip on it. Grip rotted. Replaced the shaft (.355) and grip. Was able to get the shaft band off the old shaft intact and put it on the new shaft. This club had to be stored inside prior to being scrapped because it is pristine with absolutely no rust and the shaft had no rust either. It probably was not bent until it got into the pile. Ok here is my date estimates feel free to tell me If I am wrong because I am thinking from memory no Kaplan book
Ping "Y" Blade I say with the fluted shaft 1972 to 1975
Mac 4 wood this may be throwing me off because I have never seen a aluminum insert with the winged MT logo but I am going to say from same era 72 to 75
Littler putter this is around 66 or 67 because that is around the time frame Ram bought Bristol and Gene Littler was a Ram Staffer in those days

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1438597926' post='12068318'][quote name='super20dan' timestamp='1438565511' post='12066976']
finally i got out to play 9 holes with the redlines i bought at the flea market a few months back. do they live up to the hogan redline mystique? well i say they do in spades! i hit every fairyway-hit 6-9 greens in reg . 5 pars -3 bogys and 1 birdie for a +2 score . only one shot off from my lowest score ever. these things are precision defined hard to ask for a better preforming iron than these. almost aced a par 3 with the 8 iron . a kick in birdie. wonderfull feel on well struck shots. just amazing irons
[/quote]

Great stuff Dan, and congratulations on your play. I know I could not be happier with the set I got this year. First set of irons that have made me NOT want to fool around with other clubs. Old habits die hard and I pull out other old favourites now and again, but more and more often I catch myself thinking that I'll have more fun if I stick with the redlines. Must be something in the heads, as after a bit of half-arsed tweaking by your truly, mine are a bit of a jumble of mismatched grips, shafts, lengths and swingweights but I'm frightened to do anything with them to make them more uniform as they play so well as they are.[/quote]Agree - each to his own of course but I can't picture a more perfect iron, personally.

When Redline's are in the bag I don't blame the irons for any bad shots, as they are forgiving enough to make one realize a crappy swing or strike isn't the clubs fault.

Haven't been on the forum for a while - hope you people in the northern climes have had a good summer of golfing - can't wait for spring to arrive here in NZ!

GBB Epic, X2 Hot, Srixon Z545, Cleveland RTX 2.0, Bettinardi

Welcome back Che!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1439861269' post='12158332']
Stu-

Photos would help.

The MacGregor with "Winged MT" stamp (not decal)and an Aluminum insert is a custom club. It may have had a name stamped on it.

Gene (The Machine)Littler, US Open Champion, is one of the first to use the Pre-Ram Zebra putter.
[/quote]Rex you were dead on it when I cleaned the sole I found stamped in the wood "Tourney Custom" I had partially suspected it when I saw the 5 screw insert and it not being as hooked faced. Got another surprise yesterday on the same club I tried to save the old Victory Green but it was too far gone pulled it off and discovered that the grip mouth was covering the shaft band. It reads Macgregor Tourney flex #2 nothing about Pro-Pel.
I know I am trying to get pic capable. I have someone on here that is going to help walk me through it when I get time. I have been busy with my regular job lately and my shop work has picked up quite a bit.

Just picked up a set, 2-9 Wilson Buttonbacks off Craig's list. In good shape, Orginal grips. 1,3,4,5 laminates also. A couple other odds and ins thrown in along with a lightweight pull cart for 50 bucks. If the storm that is brewing passes by I will take them for a test drive this afternoon at the Muni.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1440013606' post='12171066']
Just picked up a set, 2-9 Wilson Buttonbacks off Craig's list. In good shape, Orginal grips. 1,3,4,5 laminates also. A couple other odds and ins thrown in along with a lightweight pull cart for 50 bucks. If the storm that is brewing passes by I will take them for a test drive this afternoon at the Muni.
[/quote]Good luck on the weather we are getting pounded as I type

Haven't struck a ball with them yet, but, really like the feel swinging them in the yard. They feel a bit heavier than the '74s I have.
Also, a couple of side notes about this particular model, as they relate to me.
When I first took up the game I was a young seaman stationed at Pearl Harbor. Midwesterner with no golf background whatsoever. We had an ET2/SS in our division that took me under his wing, showed me the ropes so to speak. My Sea Daddy for you Squids. Well, he was a golfer and made me go to the annual command golf outing. I remember he was a Wilson Man head to toe. These were the clubs in his bag.
Also, when I purchased these yesterday the gentleman, about my age, he didn't play, said these were the last new set his father, an avid golfer, had in his bag. When I gave him some information about the set, coupled with the enthusiasm I showed about them he asked if i would be displaying, or, playing them. I said, " Playing." He shook my hand as I left and said, "Dad would approve of you having these."

That posting made me smile on several levels this a.m. :good:

Edit Note: Something similar happened last year. Responded to an ad for "free clubs". Listing was five days old, figured they were gone. No, went to look at them. Fellow who had them, a non-golfer, said they were his late father's. He (the father) wanted them to go to someone who would "use them". Promised the son I would. Gave them to me. Some REALLY nice clubs in the pile. It was the first acquisition that started me down this classic/vintage road. Convergence? Transcendence? Destiny? I dunno. Why were they still around (in a major metropolitan area) so many days after his ad was placed?

Don't want to wax to philosophical about such things. After all, what we're dealing with here is essential a "sporting goods" object. But it sure seems that a certain emotional quality gets attached to golf clubs. And is transferred to the new custodian that has an appreciation of the "before" history of them. Makes me wonder, 30 years down the road, whether the same attachments will be made to the current crop of "change them every six months" clubs.

Way over the top pondering's with my morning coffee......

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1440071498' post='12175048']

Don't want to wax to philosophical about such things. After all, what we're dealing with here is essential a "sporting goods" object. But it sure seems that a certain emotional quality gets attached to golf clubs. And is transferred to the new custodian that has an appreciation of the "before" history of them. Makes me wonder, 30 years down the road, whether the same attachments will be made to the current crop of "change them every six months" clubs.

[/quote]

I can't see it myself. The turnover in club design is just too rapid in this day and age for any sort of permanence. I couldn't tell you what's good and what's bad anymore because nothing is around long enough to get much more than a fleeting following based on the scuttlebutt over on the dark side. Everyone seems to say that all clubs are good. If that's true then nothing will ever stand out really. Such is the nature of disposable consumerism!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1440078301' post='12175570']

[/quote]

I can't see it myself. The turnover in club design is just too rapid in this day and age for any sort of permanence. I couldn't tell you what's good and what's bad anymore because nothing is around long enough to get much more than a fleeting following based on the scuttlebutt over on the dark side. Everyone seems to say that all clubs are good. If that's true then nothing will ever stand out really. Such is the nature of disposable consumerism!
[/quote]

We only have ourselves to blame (by "we" I'm referring to the overall golf club purchasing public). The modern market won't take a company seriously if they don't constantly offer new stuff. It's quite sad, really.

Everyone seems to say that all clubs are good.
[/quote]

Except for Titleist. Titleist sucks! :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Took the Buttonbacks to the range this morning. They standup to any iron I have ever struck. Not sure of the swingweights, but I do like the head profile more than the '74s, which are , as Stu would say, my front line gamers. I actually think they are crisper than the '88 Fluid Feel remakes that I played for 10 years, which were my all time favorite irin. With some tuning, new grips and a flatter lie angle, I could easily see these taking ove as my all time number one.
Which brings me to a crossroad. I am torn between running out, grabbing some grips, I don't have enough in my "ready stock" to do the full set, or, go all in and order some leather grips and really pimp them up. I also found, in my "let's see what I have laying around barrel" a really nice Patty Berg Dynapowered Bullet Back PW that will compliment these very well, when reshafted.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1440164709' post='12182122']
Took the Buttonbacks to the range this morning. They standup to any iron I have ever struck. Not sure of the swingweights, but I do like the head profile more than the '74s, which are , as Stu would say, my front line gamers. I actually think they are crisper than the '88 Fluid Feel remakes that I played for 10 years, which were my all time favorite irin. With some tuning, new grips and a flatter lie angle, I could easily see these taking ove as my all time number one.
Which brings me to a crossroad. I am torn between running out, grabbing some grips, I don't have enough in my "ready stock" to do the full set, or, go all in and order some leather grips and really pimp them up. I also found, in my "let's see what I have laying around barrel" a really nice Patty Berg Dynapowered Bullet Back PW that will compliment these very well, when reshafted.
[/quote]I would grip them how ever you wanted to especially if you are planning to front line game them. OH BTW what is this with the Wilson thing again? I thought you had switched over to the dark (Macgregor) side with me? Seriously play what you like and enjoy

[/quote]

[/quote]Yep you are correct on the club turnover thing. It reminds me of a late friend of mine he always had to have the newest thing. But in his defense he had the money to do so. He was I guess over compulsive. If he had say for example Cally irons they would be in the all Cally bag with Cally gloves and balls. Same for him with T-Mag or Ping but he did play Titleist balls with the Pings. Tickled me one Sunday he played the front side with his Cally clubs played bad on the turn went to his car took his bag off and put the T-Mags on for the back nine. He is actually the one that termed my clubs "Salvation Army Specials" because of my mixed bag of clubs. I was still playing some local mini tour events then and he told me I ought to get the Salvation Army to sponsor me. Actually he was a great guy and his remarks did not offend me in the least. He could not play a lick though. I use to give him 3 up (match play) a side for $2 and trounce him.
When he passed 3 years ago I helped his wife sell all the stuff he accumulated at a fair price. I actually hooked her up with a guy we both knew who e-bayed all of the stuff. He also bought a visor every where he went and when he changed clubs of course he had to have the matching visor. His wife ended up giving me 4 banana boxes of visors some never worn. I still have quite a few of them now

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1440078301' post='12175570'] [quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1440071498' post='12175048'] Don't want to wax to philosophical about such things. After all, what we're dealing with here is essential a "sporting goods" object. But it sure seems that a certain emotional quality gets attached to golf clubs. And is transferred to the new custodian that has an appreciation of the "before" history of them. Makes me wonder, 30 years down the road, whether the same attachments will be made to the current crop of "change them every six months" clubs. Way over the top pondering's with my morning coffee...... [/quote] I can't see it myself. The turnover in club design is just too rapid in this day and age for any sort of permanence. I couldn't tell you what's good and what's bad anymore because nothing is around long enough to get much more than a fleeting following based on the scuttlebutt over on the dark side. Everyone seems to say that all clubs are good. If that's true then nothing will ever stand out really. Such is the nature of disposable consumerism! [/quote]

I know what you mean, but I still think that the passage of time will provide some perspective on the good stuff.

I've seen modern-ish stuff that I've liked. There have been some very nice blades from a number of big OEMs. I'm not a particular fan of Nike - but theirs look nice, Mizunos are mostly good and I've seen some quite gorgeous looking Clevelands - even if they're not "proper" forged. TM can't help itself but be a bit funky and techie with its designs, but I have some RAC blades that are barely 10 years old (the striplings of my collection) and they're great.

I guess Ti drivers are a bit "off-menu" here - but I still think there are some great designs. I'd quite like a Nike Covert driver, and would probably get one if I didn't have an R1 that I've very happy with. Both are, in my mind, potential classic designs. But I agree, the rapid turnover of models does little to let one design establish itself.

The one area that I feel let down is putters - I really don't see very much from the OEMs that I like the look of. I'd be a boutique shopper if I wasn't happy with the classics I have.

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1440078492' post='12175588'] [quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1440078301' post='12175570'] Everyone seems to say that all clubs are good. [/quote] Except for Titleist. Titleist sucks! :) [/quote]

We really need you sometime to do a "10 things that make Titleist suck" post. Maybe get the site owners to put it up as reportage, rather than just a forum post? :derisive:

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1440193131' post='12185230']

[/quote]

[/quote]Yep you are correct on the club turnover thing. It reminds me of a late friend of mine he always had to have the newest thing. But in his defense he had the money to do so. He was I guess over compulsive. If he had say for example Cally irons they would be in the all Cally bag with Cally gloves and balls. Same for him with T-Mag or Ping but he did play Titleist balls with the Pings. Tickled me one Sunday he played the front side with his Cally clubs played bad on the turn went to his car took his bag off and put the T-Mags on for the back nine. He is actually the one that termed my clubs "Salvation Army Specials" because of my mixed bag of clubs. I was still playing some local mini tour events then and he told me I ought to get the Salvation Army to sponsor me. Actually he was a great guy and his remarks did not offend me in the least. He could not play a lick though. I use to give him 3 up (match play) a side for $2 and trounce him.
When he passed 3 years ago I helped his wife sell all the stuff he accumulated at a fair price. I actually hooked her up with a guy we both knew who e-bayed all of the stuff. He also bought a visor every where he went and when he changed clubs of course he had to have the matching visor. His wife ended up giving me 4 banana boxes of visors some never worn. I still have quite a few of them now
[/quote]

Stu - thanks for the laughs! I loved the part about you being sponsored by The Salvation Army! It reminded me of the saying "On a good day, The Salvation Army could kick Canada's a**". BTW, speaking of Canada, where has Scooter been???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[quote name='stevemcgee99' timestamp='1440271269' post='12189860']
The lightning bolt motif on the grips evoke the pain the hacker might feel with a bad strike. No wonder they're $3.00.

Now we've got CAD and graphic designers working for the OEMs the clubs evoke a feeling of 'more than meets the eye' lol
[/quote]OMG ROTFLMFAO! Good observation and can be very true!! OHHHHCCCHHHH The Humanity!!

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1440238499' post='12187878']
Stu, loved your Salvation Army post, and still love the old Macs.
[/quote]Really that is a true story. This guy was a NJ Italian and had that dry humor to me he was hilarious. He would really get funny when combined with the Vicadans he took for a bad back and 3 beers. He got messed up at the course one day and I mean totally blitzed and we would not let him drive home. I took him and his brand new Hemi Charger home and one of my buddies followed us. He kept taunting me "don't be spinning wheels with my new car because I know you want to" I drove like driving Miss Daisy. Next week he was up at the golf shop talking smack. Lunch time came and we were doing take out Chinese so I told him throw me the keys to the Hemi. He threw them to me I left and I could not resist I lit that Hemi up between the buildings and up the street. I told him I might as well do what I had been accused of doing so I lit it up. He laughed and said that is what he wanted me to do all along because he knew I used to race and he was scared of that car but wanted to see the power in action. He laughed and said that Big John (my business partner) had told him that if he pushed me far enough I would light it up for him. What a guy RIP Ralphie