2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

Just picked up a set of Dunlop Tour Special (3-PW). Here are a few preliminary photos. More photos to come.

By the way, does anyone have information on these blades?

I know nothing about them but they look alot like my 85 Mizzy Cimarron blades.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Not sure if this counts as classic, but grabbed some Cleveland tour action 3 form forged irons, 3-pw with precision rifle 5.0 shafts. As of late I've really only played dynamic gold s300, will it be a lot to adjust to or will it be noticeable?

IMO the biggest difference will be feel. You won't have to go after it quite as aggressively to get the shaft to load properly as the Rifle 5.0's are R300 equivalent. Ball flight will be similar.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Got the MacGregor 1025Ms (only 3-9) for $12.98, and my second set of Hogan Redlines (2-E) for $24.

Now that is a ridiculously exceptional haul ... two of my favourite blade sets and cheap (for this condition) at 10x the price !

Are they as mint as they look in your pics ?

Enjoy !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Believe me, I was as shocked as you on the MacGregors!

I check the second-hand stores often, with rare success :). The Macgregors are beautiful as far as bag chatter goes, but definitely have some early wearing on the faces. They were rusty and very dirty with a few broken ferrules, but cleaned up nice. The Redlines were a Play-it-Again special that one of the workers won a bet on, because the owner bet him money that nobody would buy them... Turns out I bought them less than 4 hours after they were put out.

I put satin PX 6.0s in (4-PW in 3-9, so hard stepped in a sense?) but they don't work for me. I'm not sure if I am going to keep trying, or get rid of them to fund another project.

I also got a Ping Eye2 BeCu SW in like-new condition in a bag of 30 clubs for $35. I'll have to post a picture of that soon...

donaldp83...."WOW just WOW"....UNBELIEVABLE PICKUPS...

+1! :swoon:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Supreme acquisitions everyone. Those V-Foils and Redlines were a great score. My local PIA overvalues most all their inventory.

Need some "scrounging" bad. Keep scouting around, but no merch out yet. And slim pickings on CL. Come on spring!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Got the MacGregor 1025Ms (only 3-9) for $12.98, and my second set of Hogan Redlines (2-E) for $24.

2 great finds especially the Macs

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Recent purchases;

Congrats on your first post hope you hang for a spell. One problem though those clubs are bassackwards. LOL I say that to all the lefties all in good fun. Those Pennas are especially nice

Not sure if this counts as classic, but grabbed some Cleveland tour action 3 form forged irons, 3-pw with precision rifle 5.0 shafts. As of late I've really only played dynamic gold s300, will it be a lot to adjust to or will it be noticeable?

IMO the biggest difference will be feel. You won't have to go after it quite as aggressively to get the shaft to load properly as the Rifle 5.0's are R300 equivalent. Ball flight will be similar.

Thanks for the heads up. I think they'll work out well for me. I love the look of the precision rifles too, which is a bonus

Finally finished up one of the several projects underway. Not exactly a "new" acquisition, as they were part of a larger one last year. Sold off some of the other stuff which rendered these free (actually a $15 profit). Had the shafts laying around for some time. Decided to use them rather than try and find something else (Dynalites).

Ben Hogan Apex II (now black cameos, started life as white). Reshafted with Precision FCM 5.5 shafts. Fun with hosel pins, buffed and polished, new paint fill, Lamkin Perma Wraps. Went to a 3/8" step between clubs starting with the PW (36.75"). Minimized the number of extensions that were needed. Plus making the long irons somewhat shorter. So goes the theory that a little shorter long irons are easier to handle. We'll see about that. Now all that is left is to adjust the loft/lie after I spend some time hitting them. Don't know when that will be, as the local golf dome has been closed and torn down. Maybe a 40* day at the heated range with some range balls?

The all Hogan bag. Apex persimmons, Apex II's, BeCu Special SI, Apex HB-1 putter.

Come on Spring! Can't wait to roll these "Bad Boys" out to the course for my usual mediocre round of golf.

Great job Fella! That is one sweet bag! I see what you mean by the hoard in the lower left corner of the forth pic. ;)

Regarding you use of extensions: did you use the metal ones or the plastic type?

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks Sco. That's some of the hickory irons that I've been "putzing" with this winter. Trying to bring them back. But not ready for prime time yet. The real pile (relative to my stash) is hard left in the pic.

Extension were steel. The shafts must have been long to begin with. While performing some test fitting/measuring, discovered that only the 2i and PW needed extensions with using the 3/8" increments. Read about in the tech section <. Since the length of the extension is 3" (insertion length), I always cut off half of it. Plenty of length for proper bonding. Saves a bit on added SW.

Finally finished up one of the several projects underway. Not exactly a "new" acquisition, as they were part of a larger one last year. Sold off some of the other stuff which rendered these free (actually a $15 profit). Had the shafts laying around for some time. Decided to use them rather than try and find something else (Dynalites).

Ben Hogan Apex II (now black cameos, started life as white). Reshafted with Precision FCM 5.5 shafts. Fun with hosel pins, buffed and polished, new paint fill, Lamkin Perma Wraps. Went to a 3/8" step between clubs starting with the PW (36.75"). Minimized the number of extensions that were needed. Plus making the long irons somewhat shorter. So goes the theory that a little shorter long irons are easier to handle. We'll see about that. Now all that is left is to adjust the loft/lie after I spend some time hitting them. Don't know when that will be, as the local golf dome has been closed and torn down. Maybe a 40* day at the heated range with some range balls?

The all Hogan bag. Apex persimmons, Apex II's, BeCu Special SI, Apex HB-1 putter.

Come on Spring! Can't wait to roll these "Bad Boys" out to the course for my usual mediocre round of golf.

Excellent job on the paint fill there. Now we have to find you one of those Red White and Blue Hogan staff bags then you can be called Mr. Hogan

Thanks Stu. Discovered that doing paint fill is a pretty easy process. Now on a "paint fill mission" with nearly everything on hand.

Don't know about the Hogan bag though. Might be to ostentatious. Would appear the "poser", especially once one sees my game, or lack thereof. However the bag in the pic is a really nice Hot-Z that I found for $10.00. Black with gold piping, real classy. Big fan of the Hot-Z look.

Thanks Stu. Discovered that doing paint fill is a pretty easy process. Now on a "paint fill mission" with nearly everything on hand.

Don't know about the Hogan bag though. Might be to ostentatious. Would appear the "poser", especially once one sees my game, or lack thereof. However the bag in the pic is a really nice Hot-Z that I found for $10.00. Black with gold piping, real classy. Big fan of the Hot-Z look.

Oh yeah the Hot Z was a good bag. Back in the day I had a favorite Hot Z carry bag it was red. Wore it out learned the hard way about carry bags on electric carts. My next one because the old man's friend who was a Hogan Staffer gave it to me was a Hogan carry Sun Jet red white and blue. I only used it when I walked in school matches. I always had some kind of staff bag on my golf cart usually the old mans hand me downs or one some company sent him that he did not want. It was funny I kept gloves tees and balls in the Sun Jet all the time and the same with the cart bag. Heck I did not use head covers. All I had to do to switch was to pull my clubs from one bag to the next. Heck I had so much stuff on my riding cart anyhow. I had a wire basket on mine before the cart makers ever thought of it. It sat between the seat back and club rack below where the ones do now. It was a basket off of an old range ball picker. Since I used that cart for everything it had an assortment of balls and tools in it

Nice HH. Looks like they've barely been hit. Been looking for a set of Apex Plus to try out. Just haven 't found one for the right price yet. I will eventually. Would like to experiment with a blended set to go along with my '99 Apexs. Something along the lines of 4i - 7i Apex +, 8i up Apex blades. Preferably with Apex 3 shafts.

Fella,

There's some bag chatter but overall the irons are in great shape. I am looking to get my hands on a set of '99 Apex or the Redlines.

Titleist 910 10.5 - Tour AD DI-6S
TaylorMade V-Steel FW (15* & 18*)
Adams Pro Hybrid (20* & 23*)
Ben Hogan Apex Edge (5-PW)
Titleist Vokey SM (52* & 56*)
SC Studio Select Newport 1.5

Any thoughts on Wilson X31 blades or Wilson Top Notch gooseneck irons?

Yes, I'm looking for a good set of the X-31's. PM me if you want to talk sell or trade. Thanks.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Where do you keep finding this stuff? Inquiring minds want to know!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa