PGA players that smoke? Cigarettes that is.

kiteman

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1408551476' post='9973143']
People that talk about banning cigarettes, are the some ones that, if given half a chance, would ban ever thing "they" don't like, because they think they know what's best for everyone; without a thought for freedom. I can name a number of people in history that had that same mentality, and some still living now. Reason riots, rebellions and wars happen.
[/quote] AMEN

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1408552174' post='9973245']
[quote name='setter02' timestamp='1408551848' post='9973199']
If you can puff away without any smoke bothering anyone, then have at it. You lose any argument the second it interferes with others. Its a disgusting habit that you choose, not me, so forcing it on people has no merit for a discussion.
[/quote]Off topic here but; Does that include those whom partake in smoking the "herb"?
[/quote]

I'm just personally not a fan of smoking, away from me to each their own, around me, respect me and my space because the smoke is not just confined to you, its everywhere. I was born with chest issues and was made worse by being around smokers (obviously not my choice) growing up and I have a pretty piss poor lung capacity now. Years ago in school when we were doing some health testing or other such thing, I was at about 1/3 the level of most other kids.

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1408552176' post='9973247']
I've quit smoking. The thing I miss the most was forcibly holding someone down and making them smoke too...
[/quote]

Will be funny to see how many likes your post gets. How many kids have no choice because they will carry their parents crap habit when they lite up in the car, house or their clothing wreaks of it? I also like that when sitting at an outside patio, enjoying the day, that the people who then start to smoke have cigarettes that the smoke doesn't fly around, waft over towards anyone or hang like a smog cloud if the air is still. Wait, that doesn't happen...

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Interesting thought, but how many think that smoking could be considered performance enhancing? I know overall that is itn't good for your health, but if its used as a way to calm your nerve, would this then be considered performance enhancing?

I know the PE label is completely broad to the point of obscene (you have a headache, take some Advil, headache goes away, you can perform without a headache) in that basically anything can be considered at some point.

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I, honestly hope this thread doesn't turn into smoker vs. non.... That surly isn't my intent. That said, I do not smoke cigarettes, but surely enjoy cigars, like many friends, as do quite a few tour players that I have played with; though, they never enjoy cigars or cigs on the course.

What irritates me are idiot control freaks that talk as though smokers, by and large, are not courteous; when most actually are way more cognoscente today. We've had to, since this issue has been around for a long time. What I find interesting is the extent to which Hooka lounges have popped up all over, and the known destructive effects of smoking tobacco that way.

However, there's a limit to how courteous and respectful of difference we can or will be. Recently, I lite up a cigar on the golf course and a guy in the other cart said he'd like to stay out in front and away of from me and the smoke, I said fine. Later, apparently he got a whiff of my cigar and said it was surprisingly pleasant. From that point on, he didn't seem to care where he was in relation to my cigar. Of course, I still tried to be respectful, as anyone would that was raised with basic manners.

Other than that time and one other quite some time a go, over fifteen years of smoking cigars, I have NEVER encountered people with attitudes, like on this board, and we live in the heart of the crazy left coast. Maybe its my in-person demeanor that keeps others attitudes in-check, don't know. But again, my point is smokers are far more cognoscente of non-smokers than twenty years back, and that's a good thing, that non-smokers should acknowledge, as opposed to throw threatening remarks around.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='setter02' timestamp='1408553076' post='9973351']
If you can puff away without any smoke bothering anyone, then have at it. You lose any argument the second it interferes with others. Its a disgusting habit that you choose, not me, so forcing it on people has no merit for a discussion.
[/quote]Off topic here but; Does that include those whom partake in smoking the "herb"?
[/quote]

I'm just personally not a fan of smoking, away from me to each their own, around me, respect me and my space because the smoke is not just confined to you, its everywhere. I was born with chest issues and was made worse by being around smokers (obviously not my choice) growing up and I have a pretty piss poor lung capacity now. Years ago in school when we were doing some health testing or other such thing, I was at about 1/3 the level of most other kids.

I've quit smoking. The thing I miss the most was forcibly holding someone down and making them smoke too...
[/quote]

Will be funny to see how many likes your post gets. How many kids have no choice because they will carry their parents crap habit when they lite up in the car, house or their clothing wreaks of it? I also like that when sitting at an outside patio, enjoying the day, that the people who then start to smoke have cigarettes that the smoke doesn't fly around, waft over towards anyone or hang like a smog cloud if the air is still. Wait, that doesn't happen...
[/quote] Fair enough thank you for the polite response.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1408554552' post='9973565']
[quote name='setter02' timestamp='1408553076' post='9973351']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] Fair enough thank you for the polite response.
[/quote]

Its an issue that gets me going, so I will bow out before I take this thread anymore of course.

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1408557727' post='9973997']
[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1408554959' post='9973643']
[quote name='kiteman' timestamp='1408519919' post='9970987']
Duf and Levin? That's all I know...
[/quote]

Duf- Furyk's caddy right??
[/quote]

I thought his name was Fluff?
[/quote]

LMAO!! :to_become_senile:
you are right. haven't had my coffee yet.

I've never seen Duf light up. I had a guy on my high school golf team who would smoke Marlboror reds together with a fat dip.

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1408552437' post='9973277']
if its outside I couldn't care less...in a bar I still don't care...I expect it. therefore I wont go ...but in other closed places no way......example.... 10 years ago while heading to a funeral I had to stop for gas.... walked into the station to pay and as soon as I walked in noticed the attendant had one burning in the ashtray and one to her lips... whole place stunk...I quickly got out and when I got back into the car realized I now reeked of smoke.... Well my nephew with aszma starts coughing and couldn't stop until we arrived at the church and I got out and away from him... Im wearing a suit dressed to the nines and smell like an ashtray... Im pissed... later I wonder if the attendant is an owner or just employee....so I call ...find out she was not to be smoking inside...to this day I haven't stopped at that station...not because of a grudge but because I cant get that bad memory out of my head... just no sense in being too lazy to walk outdoors... My opinion of course
[/quote]

100% Agree! When that smell lands on you and your clothes, you will reek of smoke until your next shower and your clothing has been laundered or dry cleaned. I truly believe that smokers do not realize how disgusting the smell is. I will say however that smokers have every right to smoke. They should just try to find a place where non smokers will not come into contact with it.

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1408562352' post='9974559']
if its outside I couldn't care less...in a bar I still don't care...I expect it. therefore I wont go ...but in other closed places no way......example.... 10 years ago while heading to a funeral I had to stop for gas.... walked into the station to pay and as soon as I walked in noticed the attendant had one burning in the ashtray and one to her lips... whole place stunk...I quickly got out and when I got back into the car realized I now reeked of smoke.... Well my nephew with aszma starts coughing and couldn't stop until we arrived at the church and I got out and away from him... Im wearing a suit dressed to the nines and smell like an ashtray... Im pissed... later I wonder if the attendant is an owner or just employee....so I call ...find out she was not to be smoking inside...to this day I haven't stopped at that station...not because of a grudge but because I cant get that bad memory out of my head... just no sense in being too lazy to walk outdoors... My opinion of course
[/quote]

100% Agree! When that smell lands on you and your clothes, you will reek of smoke until your next shower and your clothing has been laundered or dry cleaned. [color=#ff0000][b]I truly believe that smokers do not realize how disgusting the smell is[/b][/color]. I will say however that smokers have every right to smoke. They should just try to find a place where non smokers will not come into contact with it.
[/quote]

I'm a former smoker that hasn't smoked in roughly 13 years. I still enjoy the smell of cigarettes being smoked.

[quote name='johnnypro' timestamp='1408563987' post='9974775']
[quote name='DrunkenTiger' timestamp='1408545185' post='9972311']
smoking should be banned in any public palces! :)
[/quote]

I'll quit smoking when you pass a fourth grade spelling test.
[/quote]

Worth adding. Bump and +1 to post count...

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

People that talk about banning cigarettes, are the some ones that, if given half a chance, would ban ever thing "they" don't like, because they think they know what's best for everyone; without a thought for freedom. I can name a number of people in history that had that same mentality, and some still living now. Reason riots, rebellions and wars happen.
[/quote]

A good point. However allow my rebuttal.

Civil liberties and freedom are very important, nobody can question that. However, in the past 30 years or so, I ask you to name one thing that is more researched, more detailed, and more documented, than the long term medical consequences of smoking cigarettes.

I personally think it's crazy that people still smoke cigarettes despite the extremely well defined and pronounced risks.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1408562352' post='9974559']
[/quote]

100% Agree! When that smell lands on you and your clothes, you will reek of smoke until your next shower and your clothing has been laundered or dry cleaned. I truly believe that smokers do not realize how disgusting the smell is. I will say however that smokers have every right to smoke. [b]They should just try to find a place where non smokers will not come into contact with it.[/b]
[/quote]

The non-smoker should find a place where he doesn't come in contact with smoke... There are plenty of places, given there are less smokers than non-smokers. Keep in mind, smoking in the military is common, as well as with those deployed; protecting your freedom and life. In 2012, 18.1% of the adult population were cigarette smokers. It's a two way street.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1408564432' post='9974839']
[/quote]

Civil liberties and freedom are very important, nobody can question that. However, in the past 30 years or so, I ask you to name one thing that is more researched, more detailed, and more documented, than the long term medical consequences of smoking cigarettes.

I personally think it's crazy that people still smoke cigarettes despite the extremely well defined and pronounced risks.
[/quote]

I agree and appreciate the rebuttal... but its weak, when, for longer than 30 years, "America" of all countries, has the largest obesity problem among adults and children. More than 1/3 America's adult population are obese, that doesn't include obese children. The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the U.S. was $147 billion in 2008 U.S. dollars. 2013, its up 27.2%, up from 26.2% in 2012, and is on pace to surpass all annual average obesity rates since Gallup-Healthways began tracking in 2008. The medical costs for people who are obese were $1,429 higher than those of normal weight. That stat combines non-smokers and smokers. Follow that with smoking-related illness in the United States costs more than $289 billion a year. Problem after problem.

Set risks aside, and ask yourself, what might be the underlying motive. What might be the underlying motive for the dramatic increase in suicides, and out of control STD's, when everyone knows the consequences. Ignoring one or more huge social problems to single out another is, in no way, an answer; nor is the smaller cigarette smoker population problem greater when looking at the big and fast growing obesity problem.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1408564432' post='9974839']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Probably obesity. The risks are well defined yet people still choose to
shovel the bad food in. Maybe if we took away their shovels and gave
them blades they would eat with precision, improve their path and flush
fewer toilets.

I think Kerr smokes or did at one time. We have littering laws, why not enforce them for smokes too? Maybe they do. But banning smoking outside? I am not that holy, clearly some believe they are holy, pure and want to ban whatever it is they don't like and can voice that opinion but not me, I have lots of skeletons. Me? I dislike kale and think it and the mere mention of it ought to be banned. I smoked for decades. I grew up a farmer and learned to put my butts in my pocket if no other place to put them. A can, some other trash, whatever, you can always put them somewhere other than the ground for someone else to enjoy, but I never have or was a flicker and agree this is the largest and most valid of the arguments against smokers now. Here in Oregon they are talking about banning smoking on ALL ocean beaches. Oregon is full of democrats so my guess it isn't just talk and will happen.

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

As an outside observation on the US obesity issue, being Canadian, I was actually shocked at just how much decent/healthy food cost in grocery stores when my wife and I took a trip into upper NY state a couple months ago. Grapes cost more, hummus dip or all things was like $1 more, better quality grain breads and some fruits were all almost double what we pay. You can go get a full disgusting meal (I can't speak for not loving my burgers, fav food) at a fast food place for far less than other things out of a grocery store. That and I don't think that people really realize just how bad pop/soda is for you. I'll have an occasional ginger ale, but have stopped drinking all soft drinks.

Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

I don't smoke and I think smoking has been regulated enough. I'm even a little nostalgic for the days when tobacco companies were allowed to sponsor sporting events. It seems odd that I've never heard or read of a fatal car crash or deadly fight caused by someone who had smoked a cigarette, but every day you can read about drunk-driving fatalities and people who got drunk and assaulted someone (often a spouse or child). But if anyone mentions banning alcohol, people react like the person's crazy.