Lack of drinking water on golf courses.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1408558713' post='9974141']
Everyone arguing they're afraid to get sued because of the coolers realize they're going to be sued if someone dies of heat stroke, right?
[/quote]

No they will sue the sun instead. Duh :)

Personally, I think the golfer should just bring their own water.

I agree, bring water or liquids, maybe a purified water or two too ! LOL.

IMO though, courses that do offer coolers of water ought to maintain them though, either offer good cool water or none.

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

FYI: in AZ a few years back, a water cooler wasn't properly cleaned. If I recall, someone drank the water while playing and got deathly ill, consequence was a suite was filed. I can't say what happened, but can imagine an out of court settlement that wasn't cheap.

Given that, I wouldn't be surprised, if similar situations haven't happened elsewhere, just not publicized. Sadly, that could, however, be an underlying motive for not providing water. Whether walking or riding, I need lots of water. NO course should charge for water, much less limit its availability. If I find a course does that, they are assured, I will let everyone I know, not to go there if water is important.

What amazed me recently, a few upscale public courses in the desert didn't provide much water... when we realized it they required us to buy, we did. But, we also told them at the front desk before leaving, we wouldn't be back, and our respective clubs memberships will be informed. As far as I am concerned, that's seriously stupid on the part of management.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I'm okay with them not providing water as long as 2 conditions are met.
1. I know the they don't have it on the course before I get there
2. They don't have rules against bringing your own drinks

I went to a course where I had my bagboy cooler with water and Gatorade. It's big enough to hold 2 bottles of each. I was told I can't bring the cooler on the course. When I put the drinks in my bag, I was told I can't bring them either as a cart was on the course selling drinks. I "put them in my car"...er snuck them in my bag, played and never went back.

I personally hate water cooler water. Everytime I've had it it tasts like crap. That just me though. I do think courses should provide water, and I think in a previous thread, there could be issues of someone dying of heat stroke if the cart gir isn't around. One suggestion, and I'm throwing it out there is why don't courses just raise the green fees by $2-$3 and put an ice chest of water bottles on every other hole. A case of water at Costco costs $5 for 48 bottles? No one is drinking 24 bottles in a round. By charging a coupe of extra bucks and providing some clean bottled water they could stll make a profit and keep golfers happy.

[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1408571494' post='9975461']
I personally hate water cooler water. Everytime I've had it it tasts like crap. That just me though. I do think courses should provide water, and I think in a previous thread, there could be issues of someone dying of heat stroke if the cart gir isn't around. One suggestion, and I'm throwing it out there is why don't courses just raise the green fees by $2-$3 and put an ice chest of water bottles on every other hole. A case of water at Costco costs $5 for 48 bottles? No one is drinking 24 bottles in a round. By charging a coupe of extra bucks and providing some clean bottled water they could stll make a profit and keep golfers happy.
[/quote]

When given the opportunity to get something 'free', you have no idea how much that gesture will cost you.

If you knew there was a bottle of water waiting for you at each hole, I'm pretty sure the bushes would be your friend on that day many times as you'd have a bottle down at least every other hole if not every hole. On a hot day walking, I know I could easily down 10 500ml bottles.

The other knock is that because they likely have a contract with a bottling company, they can't just go to Costco and pick stuff up. Even when the beverage company charges more than what you get at Costco.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Given some courses might be filling water coolers from hoses, as opposed to sink water inside, if it tastes like crap, there's a good chance, you'z drinking hose water. That is a good idea, but requires attention. There's a course I frequent called Empire Lakes that puts coolers, filled with bottled water, on various tees. Great idea, and cheap. Course, Empire Lakes just raised their green fees to $80, so they can afford to provide water.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='setter02' timestamp='1408572842' post='9975619']
[quote name='gambit' timestamp='1408571494' post='9975461']
[/quote]

When given the opportunity to get something 'free', you have no idea how much that gesture will cost you.

If you knew there was a bottle of water waiting for you at each hole, I'm pretty sure the bushes would be your friend on that day many times as you'd have a bottle down at least every other hole if not every hole. On a hot day walking, I know I could easily down 10 500ml bottles.

The other knock is that because they likely have a contract with a bottling company, they can't just go to Costco and pick stuff up. Even when the beverage company charges more than what you get at Costco.
[/quote]

Didn't think about the contract part of it, but if they do have a contract they should be able to get bottled water at even a discounted rate. The thought of people going through that much water or taking stuff home is a little over my head to honest. I can't imagine someone taking more than an extra bottle or two for the road. So let's say you drink 10 bottles and take home 2, and that's the average for every golfer in the summer. You've upped the green fees by $3. Those 12 bottles cost $1.25 if it's a 48 bottle case for $5. So it would take a foursome to kill off a case. So $3 x 4 golfers = $12 - $5 for a case of water = $7 profit. That's just summer months and if everyone does that. I know I don't drink that much. Maybe 4 bottles tops in the heat (my wife says I don't drink enough water too). As far as bushes go...I don't go that often, especially in the heat. I lose more water through my skin than I do my, well, you know.

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1408545650' post='9972381']
When I worked a summer on a golf course, and this is 10 or so years ago, the course was in the process of removing all it's water stations because a teen in Arizona had died due to some sort of contamination with the water coolers. The course was sued and shortly thereafter went under, and a ripple effect went throughout the entire industry and courses began to remove their water jugs to protect themselves. At the same time many offered bottled water for sale to customers and made some small profit on it. In doing so they learned to both cover themselves from litigation and make more money.
[/quote]

It was at the old Thunderbird GC, now called Vistal.

If you were a golf course owner and after the incident where the person died from water drank from a on course cooler your insurance carrier told you that your rates would double, triple or who knows how high they would they go if you continued to provided water from a cooler that ..who know what .. not cleaned for days , not maintained during the time used , a potential for vandalism ... ect ...... how far do you go when it pertains to owners profit margin ?? one onwer i know during when this all started said it was cheaper to remove the coolers vs. losing profit because of sky rocketing insurance premiums

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1408548584' post='9972773']
When I worked a summer on a golf course, and this is 10 or so years ago, the course was in the process of removing all it's water stations because a teen in Arizona had died due to some sort of contamination with the water coolers. The course was sued and shortly thereafter went under, and a ripple effect went throughout the entire industry and courses began to remove their water jugs to protect themselves. At the same time many offered bottled water for sale to customers and made some small profit on it. In doing so they learned to both cover themselves from litigation and make more money.
[/quote]

[color=#282828]That's bull$hit and the courses fault...a golf course is no different than every restaurant or bar, the water all comes from the same place. Change the filter on your ice machine when it needs it, keep your hands out of the ice, and clean the jugs once a week. There are hundreds of thousands of guys that work outside who get water from a 5 gallon igloo[/color]
[/quote]

The sad part about your post is that you truly believe the junk you spew .... either that or you have no clue whatsoever what truly happens in the real world today

I played a course in Reno that gave free water bottles (2) on the carts and free water bottles (as many as you need) at the turn. I asked them why they didn't put out coolers instead and they said they had been vandalized and had stuff put in them. It seemed hard to believe but from reading this I guess it happens.

After reading all the replies about bad water in coolers I'm very thankful that my homecourse takes the time and effort to do it right. They are locked in a box so only golf course personel have lid access and they are replenished with fresh "ice" daily from the resturant. The water is always cold and fresh tasting!

For what it's worth about half the courses in my area still provide water while the other half doesn't. No whacked out crazy law suites yet thankfully! Luckily my two favorite courses to play outside of my homecourse also still provide water but if they didn't I would just pack my own and still play there. And if I'm going to play somewhere that I don't know for sure if they have water on the course I automatically presume they don't and pack my own. Kind of wierd to me that people would refuse to play a course because they don't provide drinking water but to each his own!

OK, this horse has been well beat!

I agree you should take your own water but how much should you have to pack on your own? If it's a hot day and your walking it's nothing to go through a liter every 4 holes or so if not more. I don't think you should have to pack a half gallon of water to make sure you have enough to get to the turn. Maybe it's just me but when I pop down money for green fees I don't think cold drinking water in a couple of places on the front and back is to much to ask.

Here is my rant about staying hydrated on a golf course. Most of the courses I play have water coolers on them. On a very hot day they are usually not kept up with and are empty. There are very few courses I play that run a beverage cart. The ones that do I'll see the cart girl around hole two and I am lucky if I see them again my whole round. I am certainly not going to stay hydrated relying on a golf course for full water coolers or a frequent visit by the beverage person. When I show up with my own cooler well of course they are not allowed either. So exactly what are you suppose to do?
I carry several 24 oz Hydro Flask bottles in my bag now and replace them at the turn with my other two. On really hot days I'll carry my 64 oz Hydro Flask for back up.I had to get the 64 oz because last yr. I was told at one course that I couldn't refill my bottles at the cooler because they were only allowing cup fulls of water. I still run into courses that tell me I can't carry my bottles but they usually back down after I tell them they were out of water in their coolers the last time I played at their course.
I understand they don't want people bringing their own beer onto the course but they use that as an excuse to keep people from bringing their own water and drinks on the course too in hope that you might buy a drink from them while you play. I bought a bottled water last week from a course I played. It was $4. I drank it walking from my tee shot to my ball. If I had to buy all my fluids from the course I couldn't afford to even play.

You guys are all funny. Its 50/50 around here whether a course has water on it, but if I have never been there and don't know, I am packing some freakin water, especially if I am walking. What's funny though is that everybody will complain about dropping $2 for a bottle of water but never thinks twice about cheap beer the clubhouse is selling for $4 a can, or that $5 coffee you got at Starbucks on the way.

Also, a little health lesson. If its 90 degrees out and you show up to golf and are not properly hydrated when you get there, drinking water on the course is not going to prevent a heat illness. The water you are drinking on the course can only maintain your state of hydration, not accelerate it. When you are on the 7th hole and are getting dizzy and cramped and can't focus on hitting a shot, its way too late to be guzzling water and Gatorade. You have much bigger problems at that point than your slice. I think most golfers are really niave about this sort of thing and need to be more aware of what their body is telling them on the course and be more prepared before going to the course.

I can't remember a course that I have played that doesn't have water every few holes but I live in Texas. My home course has water just about every 3-4 holes and I still bring my own, most of the time the water taste like crap and how do I know if they are even full? I'm not going to rely on someone else for water when I can take 2 minutes of my time and throw some in my bag.

Vnutz, Setter02 & Hellstrom got it right.

Liability concerns (& common sense) suggest that stand-alone waterjugs be discontinued.

My home course has water fountains (connected to dedicated plumbing) on holes 5 & 15, and hole 10 is right by the clubhouse. In the summer the beverage person comes by regularly with inexpensive bottled water.

I carry my clubs on my back, but never run out of water. If I used a push cart or power cart, then I would have absolutely no excuse for not having enough water. (also, I've never played a course in WA, CA, OR, ID, or AZ that outlawed bringing your own water.)

[/quote]
Yup, he went to my high school. http://www.golfarizona.com/departments/features/virus-outbreak.htm

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1408590247' post='9977371']
I agree you should take your own water but how much should you have to pack on your own? If it's a hot day and your walking it's nothing to go through a liter every 4 holes or so if not more. I don't think you should have to pack a half gallon of water to make sure you have enough to get to the turn. Maybe it's just me but when I pop down money for green fees I don't think cold drinking water in a couple of places on the front and back is to much to ask.
[/quote]

I use to pack three 12oz bottles of water when I walked and would refill at the turn if needed. I never found it to be a problem r a burden.

There are easy solutions to this problem that are not the responsibility of the golf course.

I played an upscale course yesterday and they offered free bottled water throughout the course, so awesome. I drank about nine 12 oz. bottles yesterday and took another 8 home with me.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1408636784' post='9980207']
[/quote]

I use to pack three 12oz bottles of water when I walked and would refill at the turn if needed. I never found it to be a problem r a burden.

There are easy solutions to this problem that are not the responsibility of the golf course.
[/quote]

[size=4]Having a beverage cart isn't a responsibility either...for that matter, neither is a driving range, a practice green or a paved parking lot,[/size][size=4] that's not the point.[/size]

[size=4]If 34oz of water per side may be enough for you, it may not be for others. For me personally, on hot day I like to drink as much as I can, not what I can get by on and many times it's more than three 12oz bottles per side. How much are expected to pack on your own? It just seems like a sad day when providing drinking water on the course becomes a luxury feature.[/size]

[quote name='topr' timestamp='1408640671' post='9980637']
[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1408636784' post='9980207']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Having a beverage cart isn't a responsibility either...for that matter, neither is a driving range, a practice green or a paved parking lot, that's not the point.

If 34oz of water per side may be enough for you, it may not be for others. For me personally, on hot day I like to drink as much as I can, not what I can get by on and many times it's more than three 12oz bottles per side. How much are expected to pack on your own? It just seems like a sad day when drinking water on the course becomes a luxury feature.
[/quote]
When I saw 3 12oz bottles I got a chuckle out of that. For me that is not close to being enough for me on a hot day 90+ walking. I'll drink that much in four holes. I always drink a lot the night before and on the way to course before my round. I start drinking on the first tee and steadily drink my whole round. I've seen my friends get sick over the yrs. from not staying hydrated. You need to know the signs and see it coming. Once it gets you it's to late.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1408567149' post='9975091']
FYI: in AZ a few years back, a water cooler wasn't properly cleaned. If I recall, someone drank the water while playing and got deathly ill, consequence was a suite was filed. I can't say what happened, but can imagine an out of court settlement that wasn't cheap.

Given that, I wouldn't be surprised, if similar situations haven't happened elsewhere, just not publicized. Sadly, that could, however, be an underlying motive for not providing water. Whether walking or riding, I need lots of water. NO course should charge for water, much less limit its availability. If I find a course does that, they are assured, I will let everyone I know, not to go there if water is important.

What amazed me recently, a few upscale public courses in the desert didn't provide much water... when we realized it they required us to buy, we did. But, we also told them at the front desk before leaving, we wouldn't be back, and our respective clubs memberships will be informed. As far as I am concerned, that's seriously stupid on the part of management.
[/quote]

After spending the summer in Albuquerque, New Mexico, I concur.

I was shocked at how many courses (in the desert) had no water available, especially considering that the drinking cart with $3-$4 drinks only operated during select hours.

That blows my mind coming from South Carolina where every course has water at least twice on each 9.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

[quote name='Hellstorm' timestamp='1408592535' post='9977541']
You guys are all funny. Its 50/50 around here whether a course has water on it, but if I have never been there and don't know, I am packing some freakin water, especially if I am walking. What's funny though is that everybody will complain about dropping $2 for a bottle of water but never thinks twice about cheap beer the clubhouse is selling for $4 a can, or that $5 coffee you got at Starbucks on the way.

Also, a little health lesson. If its 90 degrees out and you show up to golf and are not properly hydrated when you get there, drinking water on the course is not going to prevent a heat illness. The water you are drinking on the course can only maintain your state of hydration, not accelerate it. When you are on the 7th hole and are getting dizzy and cramped and can't focus on hitting a shot, its way too late to be guzzling water and Gatorade. You have much bigger problems at that point than your slice. I think most golfers are really niave about this sort of thing and need to be more aware of what their body is telling them on the course and be more prepared before going to the course.
[/quote]

Yes, we are.. it comes natural. :) So what your indirectly challenging is someone not willing to pay 2.50 for water (a real entitlement) but is willing to pay what ever for beer, etc. Curious, why would you give beer the same value as water? Man can exist without beer, yet can't without water.

Lets also look at water requirements per person; 200lbs = approx. 100oz; that's daily without exertion. Yet, the average person only drinks 4 cups of water per day, on average. I feel safe saying, without research, though the average person like myself, is not consuming enough water before we hit the course, what we drink on the course will sustain us without cramps, etc. Your analogy, as I see it, doesn't apply to the average golfer or me, and I walk 18 in SoCA.

Now, it would apply to someone taking diuretics, diabetics or pills, etc., that elevate water buildup, therefore might experience the conditions you mention. I do agree, people need to know more about this... but that knowledge has little to do with wanting accessible water on a golf course, without buying it.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX