2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Disney Golf....or others close by...need suggestions

cradd10

Heading down to Disney with the family in early October and wife has given me a hall pass for 2 rounds of golf. I'm a low handicap and want to play 2 good courses. I prefer something no further than 20-25 miles from Disney. Please send me some suggestions. I've done a little research on the Disney Courses, but have heard they are kinda boring.

G410 max 9° RDXBlue 70x
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Areojet LS 5 wood RDX black 70x
Z585 4-W Tour V 130x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
Tank Cruiser #1

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Disney is that they get a ton of traffic and usually it is from bad golfers that want to spend the money and the rounds can take 5+ hours. I played the Magnolia course on Labor Day and it was a 5:15 round with a group of golfers from Columbia that didn't speak English and couldn't break 100. And we were right behind the group in front of us. I like the front 9 at Magnolia, but the course was in so-so condition. I think the Palm is good, too. But again, between the traffic, the slow play and the so-so conditions...probably better off looking elsewhere.

I would recommend the following that are within 25 minutes from Disney:

[b]Southern Dunes [/b]- really good design and a fun design at that. It's in Haines City, but that's only about 15 minutes from Disney. Their conditioning went down a bit this year from the brutal winter weather. But, they seem to be coming back and it is usually known for having the best greens in Orlando. You will have to sign up for a tee time on their Web site as they are *not* on GolfNow. But, the pricing is going to be around the same of what Disney's courses are at that time.

[b]ChampionsGate International [/b]- I've heard their course conditions have dipped a little, but I'm a bit skeptical. The National course is more of a parkland course and is easier, but I prefer the International course. Probably going to be a bit pricey to play in October. It's about 15-minutes from Disney.

[b]Orange County National (Panther Lake or Crooked Cat) - [/b]I prefer the Panther Lake course like most do. They usually have some sort of deal going on in October, although it is usually for Florida residents. I would sign up on their e-mail list to see what deals come thru. About 20-minutes from Disney.

[b][b]Celebration Golf Club – [/b]It was designed by Robert Trent Jones’ son. Really good back nine, I’m not too crazy about the front nine. Usually in great condition. Your family may want to take a trip to Celebration as it is a very nice town with things from the kids to do and gets you away from the riff-raff at Disney. About 15 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Orange Lake Resort (Legends) – [/b]Arnold Palmer design. They seem to be going with lowering their rates to help draw in more people to the resort and to buy more merchandise and make their money there instead of the golf course. The conditions have slipped a tad this year, but should be in great shape by October. Superbly designed course. Probably about 10-15 minutes from Disney.[/b]

[b][b]Grande Pines – [/b]Play it while you get the chance because they are shutting it down and building condos there. It’s not like your typical resort course because it is quite tight off the tee. Played there a week ago and it was in fantastic shape. Really going to miss this course when it’s gone. About 15-20 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Grand Cypress (new course)[/b] – This is a links design by Nicklaus that is ‘inspired by’ the Old Course at St. Andrews. The course is green from head-to-toe. There really is no rough per say as everything is fairway (or the green or a bunker). Each hole except for #18 has shared greens. Usually in immaculate condition. Played there last October and the greens were rolling a legit 13 on the stimp. About 20 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Shingle Creek – [/b]Arguably the best conditioned public course in Orlando. I like the design, but I do think the course is generally pretty easy to play. Staff really rolls out the red carpet. But, the tee times will be higher priced. Right next to Universal Studios and about 20 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Waldorf Astoria – [/b]I really enjoy this course. It’s a Rees Jones design and it is tough, but fair. They usually play some US Amateur and occasional US Open qualifiers here and the scores are always high. Usually in immaculate condition and the course really gives the golfer the red carpet treatment. However, it will be fairly high priced. This is right in Disney and is only about 5 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Ritz Carlton (Grande Lakes)[/b] – I enjoyed this course a lot as well. Usually in fantastic condition with very slick greens. Can play quite long if the fairways are soft. About 15-20 minutes away from Disney. They are no longer on GolfNow, so I guess you have to go on their Web site to get a tee time.[/b]

[b][b]Falcon’s Fire – [/b]I enjoy the course in itself, but the pace of play is a bit spotty. They also had us last time on a 95-degree day with no cart girl (she left after 1:30 and there were plenty of golfers on the course) and we went 10-holes without a water cooler to drink from. One of my friends got quite sick as he was not used to the heat and it was just very un-safe. We had a group one time that took 40 minutes to play the 1[sup]st[/sup] hole as 2 of the golfers appeared to have never played golf before. When I called the pro shop, they had to be prodded by me just to get a ranger out there. I really like the course, but I’m averse to playing it because they overlook key parts to what makes a round of golf enjoyable. It’s about 15-minutes away from Disney.[/b]

[b][b]Windermere CC[/b] – This was a former private course that is now open to the public. It’s designed like a private club so it presents a nice challenge and a change of pace from your typical public courses. You will probably need to call the pro shop ahead of time to find the place as my GPS got lost and the pro shop said that is a frequent problem. Not too far away from Orange County National, so about 20-minutes away.[/b]

[b]If it were up to me, I would probably play Southern Dunes and Waldorf Astoria.[/b]

[b]3JACK[/b]

[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1410355263' post='10094691']
The problem with Disney is that they get a ton of traffic and usually it is from bad golfers that want to spend the money and the rounds can take 5+ hours. I played the Magnolia course on Labor Day and it was a 5:15 round with a group of golfers from Columbia that didn't speak English and couldn't break 100. And we were right behind the group in front of us. I like the front 9 at Magnolia, but the course was in so-so condition. I think the Palm is good, too. But again, between the traffic, the slow play and the so-so conditions...probably better off looking elsewhere.

I would recommend the following that are within 25 minutes from Disney:

[b]Southern Dunes [/b]- really good design and a fun design at that. It's in Haines City, but that's only about 15 minutes from Disney. Their conditioning went down a bit this year from the brutal winter weather. But, they seem to be coming back and it is usually known for having the best greens in Orlando. You will have to sign up for a tee time on their Web site as they are *not* on GolfNow. But, the pricing is going to be around the same of what Disney's courses are at that time.

[b]ChampionsGate International [/b]- I've heard their course conditions have dipped a little, but I'm a bit skeptical. The National course is more of a parkland course and is easier, but I prefer the International course. Probably going to be a bit pricey to play in October. It's about 15-minutes from Disney.

[b]Orange County National (Panther Lake or Crooked Cat) - [/b]I prefer the Panther Lake course like most do. They usually have some sort of deal going on in October, although it is usually for Florida residents. I would sign up on their e-mail list to see what deals come thru. About 20-minutes from Disney.

[b][b]Celebration Golf Club – [/b]It was designed by Robert Trent Jones’ son. Really good back nine, I’m not too crazy about the front nine. Usually in great condition. Your family may want to take a trip to Celebration as it is a very nice town with things from the kids to do and gets you away from the riff-raff at Disney. About 15 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Orange Lake Resort (Legends) – [/b]Arnold Palmer design. They seem to be going with lowering their rates to help draw in more people to the resort and to buy more merchandise and make their money there instead of the golf course. The conditions have slipped a tad this year, but should be in great shape by October. Superbly designed course. Probably about 10-15 minutes from Disney.[/b]

[b][b]Grande Pines – [/b]Play it while you get the chance because they are shutting it down and building condos there. It’s not like your typical resort course because it is quite tight off the tee. Played there a week ago and it was in fantastic shape. Really going to miss this course when it’s gone. About 15-20 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Grand Cypress (new course)[/b] – This is a links design by Nicklaus that is ‘inspired by’ the Old Course at St. Andrews. The course is green from head-to-toe. There really is no rough per say as everything is fairway (or the green or a bunker). Each hole except for #18 has shared greens. Usually in immaculate condition. Played there last October and the greens were rolling a legit 13 on the stimp. About 20 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Shingle Creek – [/b]Arguably the best conditioned public course in Orlando. I like the design, but I do think the course is generally pretty easy to play. Staff really rolls out the red carpet. But, the tee times will be higher priced. Right next to Universal Studios and about 20 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Waldorf Astoria – [/b]I really enjoy this course. It’s a Rees Jones design and it is tough, but fair. They usually play some US Amateur and occasional US Open qualifiers here and the scores are always high. Usually in immaculate condition and the course really gives the golfer the red carpet treatment. However, it will be fairly high priced. This is right in Disney and is only about 5 minutes away.[/b]

[b][b]Ritz Carlton (Grande Lakes)[/b] – I enjoyed this course a lot as well. Usually in fantastic condition with very slick greens. Can play quite long if the fairways are soft. About 15-20 minutes away from Disney. They are no longer on GolfNow, so I guess you have to go on their Web site to get a tee time.[/b]

[b][b]Falcon’s Fire – [/b]I enjoy the course in itself, but the pace of play is a bit spotty. They also had us last time on a 95-degree day with no cart girl (she left after 1:30 and there were plenty of golfers on the course) and we went 10-holes without a water cooler to drink from. One of my friends got quite sick as he was not used to the heat and it was just very un-safe. We had a group one time that took 40 minutes to play the 1[sup]st[/sup] hole as 2 of the golfers appeared to have never played golf before. When I called the pro shop, they had to be prodded by me just to get a ranger out there. I really like the course, but I’m averse to playing it because they overlook key parts to what makes a round of golf enjoyable. It’s about 15-minutes away from Disney.[/b]

[b][b]Windermere CC[/b] – This was a former private course that is now open to the public. It’s designed like a private club so it presents a nice challenge and a change of pace from your typical public courses. You will probably need to call the pro shop ahead of time to find the place as my GPS got lost and the pro shop said that is a frequent problem. Not too far away from Orange County National, so about 20-minutes away.[/b]

[b]If it were up to me, I would probably play Southern Dunes and Waldorf Astoria.[/b]

AWESOME SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO HELP ME OUT.

[b]3JACK[/b]
[/quote]

G410 max 9° RDXBlue 70x
SIM 15° RDX Blue 70TX

Areojet LS 5 wood RDX black 70x
Z585 4-W Tour V 130x
Vokey SM6 50,55,60
Tank Cruiser #1

I've played Magnolia, Palm, Osprey Ridge, and their 9-hole track. I know Magnolia gets all the attention, but honestly I really enjoyed the crap out of Osprey Ridge. Not to say I didn't enjoy the others, but if I ever go back I'm hitting up Osprey again for sure.

Just my two cents.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

[quote name='Roody' timestamp='1410447572' post='10100993']
I've played Magnolia, Palm, Osprey Ridge, and their 9-hole track. I know Magnolia gets all the attention, but honestly I really enjoyed the crap out of Osprey Ridge. Not to say I didn't enjoy the others, but if I ever go back I'm hitting up Osprey again for sure.

Just my two cents.
[/quote]

Osprey has been closed for the past year undergoing a renovation by Fazio's team. It will reopen as Tranquilo Golf Club in late September owned by the Four Seasons that just opened.

Cradd, you may want to look into playing here as it was very good before and should be outstanding after the reno. May be pricey so early into it's opening.

The Bayou Club, Largo, FL
Lots of TMade clubs and an old SC putter

There are a ton of threads on this topic, but I will throw out my suggestions. I actually really enjoy the Palm course at Disney. Judt renovated and I don't find it boring at all. Until very recently held a pga tour event.

But, if I was to give my two I would go Panther lake at Orange county National and the North/South combo at Grand Cypress.

[i]Stay at the Golf Villas of Grand Cypress which is only about 5 minutes from Disney World. (Located adjacent to Disney World in Lake Bueno Vista). There you will find 27 holes of World Class Jack Nicklaus-designed Courses plus an exact replica of the Old Course at Saint Andrews which is a blast and an absolute "must play" course. [/i]

[i]The Villas of Great Cypress offers accomodations, great restaurants, and outstanding golf! [/i]

[i]Best time of year to visit is fall, winter, and spring. The area is hot, wet and muggy during the summer months.[/i]

[i] :golfer: [/i]

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Going in the spring. Watching thread with interest.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

As a visitor from Aus I had to play one of them and ended up playing Magnolia(18 Hole Course) and Oak Trail (9 holer).

For a public course these seemed to be in awesome nick compared to what some of our public courses are like over here haha.

Oak was good but felt a bit short for me. But some interesting holes.

Magnolia was awesome but felt more like a bombers course (Long and straight) on most holes. Loved it and was happy to have a chance to play a PGA Championship course in its day! Plus the hidden mickey on the course (haha)

Palm was shut when I was there in May under going the renovation someone mentioned above. Looked good when driving past it going too and from Magic Kingdom via the Buses.

From all reports of the few people I spoke with around the area and the pros at the shop. Magnolia is a bombers course. Palm is long but a bit more of a strategy course.

Going to and from the parks we went past Lake Buena Vista course as well and it looked pretty good and was one I kept looking at and kept thinking too myself if I had the chance I should of played this one. This one looked good in length (not long nor short) and had some interesting holes where laying up or going for it was the way to play and seemed to be a lot more strategic course.

Anyway just a pespective from an Aussie who rarely gets too see these types of courses over here (IE A public course in that great a condition at that price.)