2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Billy Horschel updated WITB shot at the 2014 Tour Championship

GolfWRX

[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1410753722' post='10118459']
One of iliac covers done especially for Billy. iliac doesn't have the licensing rights to sell U of FL covers or Ping covers.

Greg
[/quote]

You can clearly see in the pics that those white covers are actually made by Stitch Golf, not Iliac. The tag is visible in several of the pics. They are definitely styled to look like the Iliac covers though.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQlPceA-Ra4

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

[quote name='PBrowne3' timestamp='1410801442' post='10120797']
[quote name='pga43' timestamp='1410753722' post='10118459']
One of iliac covers done especially for Billy. iliac doesn't have the licensing rights to sell U of FL covers or Ping covers.

Greg
[/quote]

You can clearly see in the pics that those white covers are actually made by Stitch Golf, not Iliac. The tag is visible in several of the pics. They are definitely styled to look like the Iliac covers though.
[/quote]

Sorry, you are correct. I didn't even notice he had switch to Stitch from his iliac covers. Still don't think that Stitch has permission to sell Ping/U of Fl headcovers.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

[quote name='nutted' timestamp='1410666898' post='10114195']Pretty sad that he has to put lead tape on his putter. I know it's cast, but c'mon Ping. Tungsten inserts, maybe?[/quote]

For real!

Ping non mallet putters are always too light. For a 'custom fit company' you'd think they would be on the forefront of head weight adjustability.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1410832546' post='10123735']
[quote name='nutted' timestamp='1410666898' post='10114195']Pretty sad that he has to put lead tape on his putter. I know it's cast, but c'mon Ping. Tungsten inserts, maybe?[/quote]

For real!

Ping non mallet putters are always too light. For a 'custom fit company' you'd think they would be on the forefront of head weight adjustability.
[/quote]

Maybe he prefers the tape, we've seen Ping be able to put tungsten plugs in just about any putter.

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1410832546' post='10123735']

For real!

[/quote]

You mean like the iWi putter which came out in 2009 ???

Billy likes to tinker when working with his coach Todd Anderson and so lead tape was the easiest way to make slight weight modifications.

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1410899319' post='10127773']
What I don't understand is they say his G30 is a 9 degree bent to 10.5 degrees. But in the photos it shows the hosel set at -.6. Why not just use a 10.5 head? The most they could set the 9 degree head is 10 degrees with that adapter. But with it at 8.4 they had to bend it 2.1 degrees to get to 10.5...
[/quote]

They didn't bend it. They picked a head with a 9 on the bottom that actually measured closer to 10.5-11 and put it in the (-) hosel position to open the face. Due to manufacturing tolerances, very few heads actually measure to the loft marked on the bottom. That's why some recommend buying the exact head you demo if you really like the head. Heads will measure higher or lower loft and will also sit more open or closed and will have slightly different weighting. My fitter would go with clients to big box stores if they hit a demo really well and would measure the demo and then find a head on the rack that matched the loft of the demo so it wasn't a crap shoot as to what loft they would actually get. That's why so many people love a club when they demo it, order one, and hate it later, or get drastically different results. My slider 430 head was marked 10.5 but actually measured just over 9 in the standard hosel position. He may have needed to loft up but didn't want to play a 10.5 marked head if he had always played a 9, who knows???

[quote name='jcfountain33' timestamp='1410900143' post='10127849']
What I don't understand is they say his G30 is a 9 degree bent to 10.5 degrees. But in the photos it shows the hosel set at -.6. Why not just use a 10.5 head? The most they could set the 9 degree head is 10 degrees with that adapter. But with it at 8.4 they had to bend it 2.1 degrees to get to 10.5...
[/quote]

They didn't bend it. They picked a head with a 9 on the bottom that actually measured closer to 10.5-11 and put it in the (-) hosel position to open the face. Due to manufacturing tolerances, very few heads actually measure to the loft marked on the bottom. That's why some recommend buying the exact head you demo if you really like the head. Heads will measure higher or lower loft and will also sit more open or closed and will have slightly different weighting. My fitter would go with clients to big box stores if they hit a demo really well and would measure the demo and then find a head on the rack that matched the loft of the demo so it wasn't a crap shoot as to what loft they would actually get. That's why so many people love a club when they demo it, order one, and hate it later, or get drastically different results. My slider 430 head was marked 10.5 but actually measured just over 9 in the standard hosel position. He may have needed to loft up but didn't want to play a 10.5 marked head if he had always played a 9, who knows???
[/quote]

That is pretty poor quality as far as lofts. Why bother having 2 lofts? Why not just one and ask for the digitally measured loft you want.. Otherwise just label the driver 8-12 or no loft with the adapter going +- 1 from whatever the loft is...

Probably part of the reason I don't waste time and money anymore on fitting sessions. Only once out of 6 times was the driver remotely near what the fitting one produced. Even then I found a better one off the rack using my shafts.

[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1410904089' post='10128173']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That is pretty poor quality as far as lofts. Why bother having 2 lofts? Why not just one and ask for the digitally measured loft you want.. Otherwise just label the driver 8-12 or no loft with the adapter going +- 1 from whatever the loft is...

Probably part of the reason I don't waste time and money anymore on fitting sessions. Only once out of 6 times was the driver remotely near what the fitting one produced. Even then I found a better one off the rack using my shafts.
[/quote]

I've seen statistics somewhere but driver loft tolerances for most companies is +/- 1 or 2 degrees and most bias to one side or the other. I've heard Pings are usually higher than marked because most need a higher loft than their ego will buy. I found my SLDR 430 like you said by trying off the rack with my shaft. I thought I was "lofting up" but measured very close to my old driver.

[quote name='mws92' timestamp='1410900018' post='10127839'][quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1410832546' post='10123735']

For real!

[/quote]

Billy likes to tinker when working with his coach Todd Anderson and so lead tape was the easiest way to make slight weight modifications.[/quote]

Sure lead tape works but if you're a company that pioneered the marketing of lie angles and uses a CTP on irons for SW adjustment and vibration absorption, then using lead tape is like fixing a Mercedes Benz with duck tape.

Yes, the iwi was adjustable for weight but it also featured an unpopular insert and coloring.

If Scotty Cameron, Edel, TaylorMade, Nike, Odyssey etc. can have serviceable weight adjustment systems, then a golf company founded by a rocket scientist should have this figured out by now.

Lead tape is a fix, not a solution.

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1410906826' post='10128385']
[quote name='mws92' timestamp='1410900018' post='10127839'][quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1410832546' post='10123735']

For real!

[/quote]

Billy likes to tinker when working with his coach Todd Anderson and so lead tape was the easiest way to make slight weight modifications.[/quote]

Sure lead tape works but if you're a company that pioneered the marketing of lie angles and uses a CTP on irons for SW adjustment and vibration absorption, then using lead tape is like fixing a Mercedes Benz with duck tape.

Yes, the iwi was adjustable for weight but it also featured an unpopular insert and coloring.

If Scotty Cameron, Edel, TaylorMade, Nike, Odyssey etc. can have serviceable weight adjustment systems, then a golf company founded by a rocket scientist should have this figured out by now.

Lead tape is a fix, not a solution.
[/quote]

Most the companies you just named have weight systems in SELECT models, just like Ping with the iWi. That's why you see so many Odyssey's White Pro's with tape smothered on the bottom.

Lead tape is a solution for getting exact weighting. Sometimes it's more about feel. What if 12.5 grams of weight feels right? I haven't seen many 12.5 G screws for adjustable weighted putters lately.

[quote name='Farst' timestamp='1410925195' post='10130093']Lead tape is gangster[/quote]
On a set of older blades or a vintage putter, yes; Gangsta!
On a brand new high end putter, it's ghetto.

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Ping posted a video of Horschel's request for gold plated putter yesterday.

Does anyone know what the 18.5* number refers to? Does ping measure lie angle from the Y axis down? So this would be the same as a 71.5* lie angle?

Hunter Mahan's was also posted and listed a 22*. With the same assumption it would be 68* lie angle.

[attachment=2422665:photo.jpg]

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1410926630' post='10130223']
[quote name='Farst' timestamp='1410925195' post='10130093']Lead tape is gangster[/quote]
[/quote]

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

[quote name='Ness' timestamp='1410979835' post='10133809'][quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1410926630' post='10130223']
[/quote]

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.[/quote]
You must not get out much.

Are you a Ping apologist?

I say they can do better, you say bah humbug to advancement. That's not what Ping is all about. They are about engineering and innovation.

Cast clubs, heel-toe weighting, CTP, Lie angle color codes, Turbulators!

"Ah, just slap something on the bottom, what do we care?"

Rotary phones and dial up Internet is pretty gangster too.

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1410990650' post='10135371']
[quote name='Ness' timestamp='1410979835' post='10133809'][quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1410926630' post='10130223']
[/quote]

I say they can do better, you say bah humbug to advancement. That's not what Ping is all about. They are about engineering and innovation.

[/quote]

[color=#282828]I'm just pointing at the flaws in the argument that you are aiming solely at Ping. Almost every manufacturer (with the exception of Cameron I believe) has a CURRENT line of putters with no weight adjustment technology. So in your mind, everyone should be doing better, not just Ping? It's 2014. ALL manufactureres are about engineering and advancement. [/color]

[color=#282828]If I'm a Ping apologist, then you must have some kind of vendetta against them. Or had some kind of overexposure to lead as a child, which makes you hold a grudge against lead tape. I'm not sure which.[/color]

[color=#282828]You have a White Hot Pro in your signature, how would you go about adjusting the weight on it?[/color]

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1410295518' post='10091341']
[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1410291484' post='10090969']
So why does he have just the 3 and 5 irons? I'm guessing 3 is bent weak and 5 is bent strong?
[/quote]

Correct
[/quote]

what would be the benefit in doing that over just a 4 iron? length?

Adams Speedline 9064 LS 9.5 Diamana D+ 62s
Adams Speedline 9032ti HyFW 14.5* Aldila VooDoo SNV7s
Adams Speedline Fast 10 18* Wasabi 70s
Mizuno MP-20 3-PW DG S300
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 56*M
Titleist Vokey Sm6 Brushed Copper 60*M
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='jcfountain33' timestamp='1410904597' post='10128205']
[quote name='Bob57' timestamp='1410904089' post='10128173']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've seen statistics somewhere but driver loft tolerances for most companies is +/- 1 or 2 degrees and most bias to one side or the other. I've heard Pings are usually higher than marked because most need a higher loft than their ego will buy. I found my SLDR 430 like you said by trying off the rack with my shaft. I thought I was "lofting up" but measured very close to my old driver.
[/quote]

I suppose over time all the manufacturers have done the marking the driver lower than the loft really was. Cobra for years was the worst at it being a full 2 degrees lower than actual.. It is funny that the old persimmon drivers never listed a loft.. A 10 degree was a very low loft in those days and had to be specially ordered.. Very few could hit that low a loft..

I fiddled around the other day with 3 different G30 9 degree heads all set at 9 degrees with the same shafts. The numbers were all over the map. The trackman guy said that probably indicated the lofts were all over the map even though they were marked 9 and the o position on the hosel was used...

[quote name='Ness' timestamp='1410994042' post='10135763']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[color=#282828]I'm just pointing at the flaws in the argument that you are aiming solely at Ping. Almost every manufacturer (with the exception of Cameron I believe) has a CURRENT line of putters with no weight adjustment technology. So in your mind, everyone should be doing better, not just Ping? It's 2014. ALL manufactureres are about engineering and advancement. [/color]

[color=#282828]If I'm a Ping apologist, then you must have some kind of vendetta against them. Or had some kind of overexposure to lead as a child, which makes you hold a grudge against lead tape. I'm not sure which.[/color]

[color=#282828]You have a White Hot Pro in your signature, how would you go about adjusting the weight on it?[/color]
[/quote]

It really isn't about what Ping can or can't do within adjustable weights but more about what Billy likes and feels comfortable with when it comes to weighting for his putter. I'm sure If Billy wanted the putter heavier without the lead tape, Ping could and would make that happen.

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

[/quote]

[/quote]

Billy Horschel was playing for $13 million. I am pretty sure, unlike you, performance and feel meant a little more to him than a pretty, shiny, putter with cool weighting ports to show his buddies.