Kelvin Miyahira: pro or con

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1411617943' post='10179623']
[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1411617326' post='10179595']
Most people don't hit it far enough and most need speed. Swing speed is a huge correlating stat to handicap. Almost every average player needs speed. It's a pretty good place to focus
[/quote]

So the solution is to teach them Sadlowski long drive mechanics? Now it all makes sense.

Or no sense at all.
Most people don't hit it far enough and most need speed. Swing speed is a huge correlating stat to handicap. Almost every average player needs speed. It's a pretty good place to focus
[/quote]

So the solution is to teach them Sadlowski long drive mechanics? Now it all makes sense.
[/quote]

Or no sense at all.
[/quote]

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Tod Johnson' timestamp='1411617603' post='10179605']
[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1411616439' post='10179537']
So the tailbone moves away from the target in the downswing , is this the whole downswing or part of it or even up to impact . I can see that in sadlowski who has 0 wins on tour vs [b]hogan who has 63 who gets his belt buckle up and past his left foot[/b]
[/quote]

Let's see a picture of that.
[/quote]

No problem

[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411617794' post='10179615']
[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1411617522' post='10179601']
[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411617160' post='10179589']
[quote name='northgolf' timestamp='1411616868' post='10179575']
[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411616495' post='10179545']
From what I have read their " model" is Sadlowski. So everyone that I have seen who has showed their swing seem to all copy his swing look, but I haven't seen anyone copy his results so far.
[/quote]

I guess all your reading is second hand. KM's model is based on analysis of primarily tour players. Read through his blogs. He is a bit enamored of Tiger before Foley.
[/quote]

I guess you haven't read what I have it is well known that their platinum model is SADLOWSKI.
[/quote]

I've read all his blogs on abouthawaii. Sadlowski is a bit player. Most of it is a comparative analysis of tour players.
[/quote]

Then you are behind in your reading as Sadlowski is the main "model". You can read this at Jeffy's forum or on youtube or at Jeff Manns forum or at Richie's forum or .... well you get the idea. It is Sadlowski that Kelvin's parrot Jeffy always refers to as their model and tells guys like Grant Hooper to copy all of Sadlowski's moves exactly. You are not informed of all of the facts.
[/quote]

Sadlowski is a great model because he exaggerates the important moves so they are easy to see. Tour players, especially those influenced by "modern instruction", have suppressed some important movements, so you don't always see all of them in a great tour player like Adam Scott. Lucas copied Jamie and he teaches all his students to copy Jamie. Kel isn't that strict.

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1411618280' post='10179649']
[quote name='Tod Johnson' timestamp='1411617603' post='10179605']
[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1411616439' post='10179537']
So the tailbone moves away from the target in the downswing , is this the whole downswing or part of it or even up to impact . I can see that in sadlowski who has 0 wins on tour vs [b]hogan who has 63 who gets his belt buckle up and past his left foot[/b]
[/quote]

Let's see a picture of that.
[/quote]

No problem
[/quote]

A. Those are well past when he was winning.

B. Well past impact.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? This is why people can't have a real dialogue about the swing anymore. Nobody is "teaching them sadlowski long drive mechanics". The guys over there are looking at numerous things found in many many long hitters along with other good players. Tiger in 2000 in particular gets a ton of looks as does woodland. Not everyone is going to posses every characteristic but many will overlap. Strangely enough a guy who is smaller than most and win the remax is going to have most of these characteristics so he gets used as an example many times. That doesn't mean they are just teaching his golf swing.

I have never once even talked to these guys. Have only read blogs and looked around on website and most of it is very very solid analysis. Will be reading much much more this winter as work slows a bit.

Selling distance is a great way to get business. I get it.

But there is no way you will convince anyone that Bubba and Daly have better swing mechanics than most other tour pros just because they hit it farther. They hit it farther because they have long loose swings which on the balance will result in more erratic shot dispersions for most players. Bubba and Daly are ouliers like I said before.

[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1411618621' post='10179673']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? This is why people can't have a real dialogue about the swing anymore. Nobody is "teaching them sadlowski long drive mechanics". The guys over there are looking at numerous things found in many many long hitters along with other good players. Tiger in 2000 in particular gets a ton of looks as does woodland. Not everyone is going to posses every characteristic but many will overlap. Strangely enough a guy who is smaller than most and win the remax is going to have most of these characteristics so he gets used as an example many times. That doesn't mean they are just teaching his golf swing.

I have never once even talked to these guys. Have only read blogs and looked around on website and most of it is very very solid analysis. Will be reading much much more this winter as work slows a bit.
[/quote]

They are teaching them Sadlowski's mechanics. That's a fact! He is their platinum model ...so now to deny that fact which was posted by Kelvin and Jeffy is just a bit suspect.

Jeff Martinuser-online.png Administrator

Join Date Jan 2012 Posts 3,340

Wow, a lot of good work.

I have a suggestion. It is something I began fooling with a year ago and have been doing a lot more of as I get ready for this season.

Download these three videos from Youtube:

Pic it up: ha ha small joke! The 3 video's are of Sadlowski's swing from different angles i have left them out to save time.

Do you have a Mac laptop, like a Macbook Air? If so, you can download a Mac-based swing analyzer software from Objectus, and it will allow you to load all three swings side-by-side. By scrolling each video to impact, then checking the "sync" box, you can then synchronize all three swings to move together.

With or without Objectus, here is the drill: Go to address and start there. Using each other (you and Steve), a mirror and/or your video camera, watch the videos
very closely
and mimic EVERYTHING, from grip, to elbow alignment, posture, knee flex, first move away (note how little Jamie turns, how both knees straighten a bit and how his upper body moves up and back), and continue throughout the swing, and copy EVERYTHING. (If you don't want to adopt his super-strong grip, then you'll need to work on bowing the left wrist more in transition and/or the downswing, which I saw in a couple of swings, but not the most recent).

If your arms follow Jamie's, they'll get into the position you want them at the top. If your left shoulder protracts and right shoulder retracts like Jamie's, you'll get the shoulder turn you want. If you extend upwards in the backswing, letting the right leg straighten, the right and left hip go into full IR, then left pelvic tilt, anterior pelvic tilt, marching move and dual ER, you'll get into a squat like Jamie's. You get the idea.

Do all that, and you'll eventually swing like Jamie and Lucas. It is all right there, and you can use Kelvin's articles as a guide for what to look for and to confirm what you are seeing.

Jeff

[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1411618822' post='10179685']
^^^^ so your saying that it's well past impact , what like a micro second . Is his tailbone going forwards or backwards from say p6 to p8 ? The point of the belt line going forward and up past his left ankle/ foot is proof to me that his tailbone is not going away from the target

Here he is at impact , so you are going to tell me his tailbone goes backwards
[/quote]

Yep. His belt buckle isn't anywhere close to his left foot at impact, let alone past it. The tailbone moves towards the target in the backswing, away from the target in the downswing, and can be carried back towards the target in the follow-through.

[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411618914' post='10179693']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

They are teaching them Sadlowski's mechanics. That's a fact! He is their platinum model ...so now to deny that fact which was posted by Kelvin and Jeffy is just a bit suspect.
[/quote]

So you joined wrx today to discuss this? No agenda there. Did one of them kick your dog? Seriously though, how many photos of sadlowski in these articles?

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2013-10-planeology.html

http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2012-11-swing-plane-path-and-other-considerations-part-2.html

[quote name='Tod Johnson' timestamp='1411619282' post='10179721']
[quote name='eightiron' timestamp='1411618822' post='10179685']
^^^^ so your saying that it's well past impact , what like a micro second . Is his tailbone going forwards or backwards from say p6 to p8 ? The point of the belt line going forward and up past his left ankle/ foot is proof to me that his tailbone is not going away from the target

Here he is at impact , so you are going to tell me his tailbone goes backwards
[/quote]

Yep. His belt buckle isn't anywhere close to his left foot at impact, let alone past it. The tailbone moves towards the target in the backswing, away from the target in the downswing, and can be carried back towards the target in the follow-through.
[/quote]

At what point is it going backwards and at what point does it start going forwards . Keep digging a big hole for yourself , as I said my point was the belt line finishing in that position shows me the tail bone is moving forwards .

[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1411619564' post='10179731']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you joined wrx today to discuss this? No agenda there. Did one of them kick your dog? Seriously though, how many photos of sadlowski in these articles?

[url="http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2013-10-planeology.html"]http://www.aroundhaw...planeology.html[/url]

[url="http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2012-11-swing-plane-path-and-other-considerations-part-2.html"]http://www.aroundhaw...ons-part-2.html[/url]
[/quote]

You can ignore and pick and choose your articles but the fact is they are teaching Sadlowski's mechanics whether you like it or not that is a proven fact that many know.

I don't have a dog and if I did I wouldn't kick it I would show it how to swing like Sadlowski.

[quote name='dap' timestamp='1411618853' post='10179687']
Selling distance is a great way to get business. I get it.

But there is no way you will convince anyone that Bubba and Daly have better swing mechanics than most other tour pros just because they hit it farther. They hit it farther because they have long loose swings which on the balance will result in more erratic shot dispersions for most players. Bubba and Daly are ouliers like I said before.
[/quote]

It's refreshing they are not selling a Hogan secret.

[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1411619564' post='10179731']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[url="http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2013-10-planeology.html"]http://www.aroundhaw...planeology.html[/url]

[url="http://www.aroundhawaii.com/lifestyle/health_and_fitness/2012-11-swing-plane-path-and-other-considerations-part-2.html"]http://www.aroundhaw...ons-part-2.html[/url]
[/quote]

Suspect someone from Banzella crew....
KM has a number of tour players swing analysis in his articles besides jamie....

Hogan has far more weight shift than Sadlowski and other KM students. You would be blind not to see it. Hogan does ER his left hip but because he shifts his weight forward he doesn't spin out his left foot. It's quite apparent this virtually zero weight shift is part of KM's preferred pattern which results in the out of control left foot spin out. Is it a power move? Maybe. Is it a good move for consistency? Jury is out on that.

[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411620141' post='10179773']
I joined WRX. to partake in all kinds of things this just happens to be one of those things. I always like how if you disagree with something you have to have an agenda but if you agree you have no agenda...hmmmmm?
[/quote]

I have been around here for years and everyone knows my background and swing theories I espouse so my only agenda is to be open to continuing to learn new things that might help my students improve. You join and on day 1 only post to hammer away in one thread. Wonder why it might look like one of us has an agenda

I know Kelvin has other players he uses...but Sadlowski is " the model" that's what I said and it is posted in numerous places that they said Sadlowski is the model. Why so afraid to admit it now when just a short time ago they screamed it from the roof tops Sadlowski is the cat's meow of golf swings.... suspicious!

[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1411620749' post='10179805']
I joined WRX. to partake in all kinds of things this just happens to be one of those things. I always like how if you disagree with something you have to have an agenda but if you agree you have no agenda...hmmmmm?
[/quote]

I have been around here for years and everyone knows my background and swing theories I espouse so my only agenda is to be open to continuing to learn new things that might help my students improve. You join and on day 1 only post to hammer away in one thread. Wonder why it might look like one of us has an agenda
[/quote]

Why don't you be an equal opportunity squealer and call out "tod" while your at it? Or do you just call out guys who don't agree with you?

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's what disagreeing about something that someone else likes looks to them, it looks like an agenda. But you be wrong, it's just that I don't agree and I'm making it known and responding to posts that respond to mine just like this one is to yours.

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1411620892' post='10179825']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why don't you be an equal opportunity squealer and call out "tod" while your at it? Or do you just call out guys who don't agree with you?
[/quote]

You mean Jeffy don't you?

[quote name='ej002' timestamp='1411620892' post='10179825']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tod is clearly here to discuss this as he clearly is in that camp. I may have missed it ( haven't read every post in this thread) but he hasn't been been posting half truths and distortions of others teachings in an attempt to slam them. I view that as the difference. You can disagree with me if you want on that but I view the two differently.

[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411620839' post='10179817']
I know Kelvin has other players he uses...but Sadlowski is " the model" that's what I said and it is posted in numerous places that they said Sadlowski is the model. Why so afraid to admit it now when just a short time ago they screamed it from the roof tops Sadlowski is the cat's meow of golf swings.... suspicious!
[/quote]

Straight from one of kelvins blog posts

"Each of these popular methods has a bit of truth to them. But the reality is that it will only work for the few people where the method excels by actually fixing a flaw. Take for example Johnson Wagner with his spine flexion only backswing. If he were to do a bit (not the whole enchilada) of stacking and tilting it might help him find the Goldilocks zone of correctness for creating some thoracic spine extension. But if devoted to it for years, soon we’d see him go overboard with the “accuracy” swing that would make him a great short iron player but can’t hit the driver. Ultimately the dogma of the method takes precedence over the pragmatism of hitting it better with just a little bit of the fix that improves you.

Yet that is the trap. If some improvement due to the dogma is good. More is better. So you swallow the entire program.

Contrast that to developing better moves, fixing flaws of your swing and ultimately taking small steps toward a great golf swing each day. There’s no reason to buy into any dogma. There is no one way! Or two or three even. There are millions of combinations of moves to swing the club effectively.

Each individual has their own uniquely human body that can only express their own movement patterns with different speeds/intensities based on their strengths, weaknesses, prior sports experience, myelinated pathways, fitness level, genetics, etc. Just as no two fingerprints are alike, no two golf swings are alike and regardless of how much you try, you will never have the same swing as Ben Hogan, Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods, Jamie Sadlowski or whoever your idol is. But you can add a few of their moves and improve a little at a time."

[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1411621279' post='10179847']
[/quote]

"Each of these popular methods has a bit of truth to them. But the reality is that it will only work for the few people where the method excels by actually fixing a flaw. Take for example Johnson Wagner with his spine flexion only backswing. If he were to do a bit (not the whole enchilada) of stacking and tilting it might help him find the Goldilocks zone of correctness for creating some thoracic spine extension. But if devoted to it for years, soon we’d see him go overboard with the “accuracy” swing that would make him a great short iron player but can’t hit the driver. Ultimately the dogma of the method takes precedence over the pragmatism of hitting it better with just a little bit of the fix that improves you.

Yet that is the trap. If some improvement due to the dogma is good. More is better. So you swallow the entire program.

Contrast that to developing better moves, fixing flaws of your swing and ultimately taking small steps toward a great golf swing each day. There’s no reason to buy into any dogma. There is no one way! Or two or three even. There are millions of combinations of moves to swing the club effectively.

Each individual has their own uniquely human body that can only express their own movement patterns with different speeds/intensities based on their strengths, weaknesses, prior sports experience, myelinated pathways, fitness level, genetics, etc. Just as no two fingerprints are alike, no two golf swings are alike and regardless of how much you try, you will never have the same swing as Ben Hogan, Rory McIlroy, Tiger Woods, Jamie Sadlowski or whoever your idol is. But you can add a few of their moves and improve a little at a time."
[/quote]

Doesn't change the fact that they said Sadlowski is the platinum model and since there is no other platinum model due to the fact that category has only room for one, Sadlowski is their #1 model, their ideal model of a golf swing... no other compares. He has the optimum mechanics.

Now do they teach that model? Hell yeah...to everyone hell no.

[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1411621512' post='10179853']
[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411621343' post='10179851']
I haven't posted any half truths whatever that means. Everything I posted is supported by facts. Show me the "half truths". that I posted.
[/quote]

See the post directly above your last one
[/quote]

The one about Tod? It's a joke, that's what you came up with after accusing me of spouting all these half truths.... lame!

[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411621660' post='10179873']
[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1411621279' post='10179847']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn't change the fact that they said Sadlowski is the platinum model and since there is no other platinum model due to the fact that category has only room for one, Sadlowski is their #1 model, their ideal model of a golf swing... no other compares. He has the optimum mechanics.

Now do they teach that model? Hell yeah...to everyone hell no.
[/quote]

Like I said before, many long hitters have similar moves. Many good players have similar moves. IMO what they are doing is taking many of the moves they see in a majority of good/long players and teaching those moves. Sadlowski happens to have more of those moves than most because he is a 160 lb dude who won the WLDC. not surprising that many of the moves they see in long hitters are found in his golf swing and therefore not surprising that he would be used as an example.

[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411621776' post='10179875']
[quote name='Fort Worth Pro' timestamp='1411621512' post='10179853']
[quote name='pick it up' timestamp='1411621343' post='10179851']
I haven't posted any half truths whatever that means. Everything I posted is supported by facts. Show me the "half truths". that I posted.
[/quote]

See the post directly above your last one
[/quote]

The one about Tod? It's a joke, that's what you came up with after accusing me of spouting all these half truths.... lame!
[/quote]. No the one where I quote kelvin saying there is no method to copy which follows you claiming that sadlowski is the model. Kelvin's words contradict what you are saying. In the past maybe they have said that, I don't know, but i know that people can change their mind over time and the quote I gave is pretty recent so I will take KM's word there as is