2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Going From JDM Back to USDM...?

PepsiDuck

How do you all feel about going back to USDM equipment after having owned and played with JDM equipment? Do you go back and forth freely, or do you look at USDM equipment as figuratively "inferior" and stick with JDM...?

I'm currently gaming a set of Miura CB-202s, my first foray into JDM clubs, and I'm considering putting together a combo set from a single manufacturer's CB/MB offerings. I know there are a lot of quality sets being put out by US companies, but I honestly feel like I'm holding myself back from considering them, and instead only wanting to replace JDM with JDM. I almost feel like any USDM iron set would be a "downgrade" from my current set...

What are your thoughts...?

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went JDM with a set of Miura 501s. Liked them a lot and played them for a while. Convinced myself these were the best irons around. One day after a few bad rounds, I hit my old Tileist 712 AP2s against the 501s at the range. Bottom line the AP2s produced just as good results, felt ok and were a little more forgiving. I started playing the AP2s again and they never left the bag. Now have 714s.

In answer to your question - I think a set of forged USDM Mizuno or Titleist irons can hold their own with JDM but you will need to go take them to a good club maker and get the lie/loft/SW checked and fixed. Unfortunately you just cannot expect the same spec tolerances for USDM irons vs JDM.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

I've owned Honma and Vega irons in the past, Callaway's, Ping's, Bridgestone's, and now Mizuno's, and I'm sure some other's I've long forgotten! While JDM products are good, I don't think they are inherently better.
From a club building point of view they can be more consistent. I've had some club makers say that Miura's are lowers spin than other forging's, and other club builders saying it's poppy c0ck.
They tend to be better looking simpler designs. My Callaway, Bridgestone, and Mizuno forgings have felt just as good as the JDM irons, if not better. JDM ar built to tight tolerances, are rarer and therefore cooler, and often have simpler looks and look better for it. The craftsmanship that goes into them can be better too. However actual performance is no better.
And a good friend of mine has just switched from Miura 202's to Adams XTD Forged, and he's very happy to have made the switch.
Buy what you like, but from a performance point of view, the JDM product is no better.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

[quote name='Honman' timestamp='1411463089' post='10167513']
They tend to be better looking simpler designs. My Callaway, Bridgestone, and Mizuno forgings have felt just as good as the JDM irons, if not better. JDM ar built to tight tolerances, are rarer and therefore cooler, and often have simpler looks and look better for it. The craftsmanship that goes into them can be better too. However actual performance is no better.
And a good friend of mine has just switched from Miura 202's to Adams XTD Forged, and he's very happy to have made the switch.
Buy what you like, but from a performance point of view, the JDM product is no better.
[/quote]

I think that for me, a lot of it has to do with the "exclusivity" of bagging JDM compared to more popular companies in the US (TM, Titleist, Callaway). I know it's probably silly reason, but there's something about not being just another guy with AP2s in his bag. Even something as "common" in the JDM world as CB-202s is pretty rare to see at any given course on any given day.

But you're probably right that performance wise, the USDM equipment can probably go toe-to-toe with the JDM stuff. Would you say that the technology of the USDM equipment might even [i]surpass[/i] that of the JDM stuff, which focuses on more classic and simple shapes and features? That is, a Miura blade or CB will be just that, a clean and simple blade or CB without tons of technology?

PXG Darkness Operator

I don't think so. I just think the models that appeal to the rest of the world are the clean blades. I've just hit all of this years Srixon product which is the same as the JDM models. The Z545 is one of the best driver I've hit in ages. Really hot, and forgiving across the whole face. Yet at address it's one of the most classic drivers I've seen in ages. It even has full face scoring lines. Because the looks are so good it's easy to forget how well they perform.

I'd simply suggest playing what you like. Drivers fairways and hybrids I tend to believe tour proven equipment is the best, be that us or jdm, so TM, Callaway, Ping, Adams, Nike, Srixon, TourStage, Royal Collection. Irons wedges and putters, unless you're looking for huge forgiveness or maximum spin, I'd play whatever you like.

I think USDM equipment is just as good. I had two sets of Miuras in the last 2 years and even though look and felt great I went back to Titleist irons. Still have a set of one of the Miuras in my all JDM bag including wedges, putter, driver, and fwy wood. Currently playing 714 CBs and although they don't feel as good as the Miuras, the performance is there.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

I went all JDM, have since bought some USDM stuff just to play around with as well, after Ho'ing JDM for a long time it seems so cheap!

Fit and finish and almost universally the feel is better with JDM. If one can throw these attributes out the window, then they're pretty much even I guess. Recently played some 714AP2 for a while, and while everyone rants about how solid they feel, I felt like I was playing with some rocks on the end of sticks compared to JDM offerings I have or have had. Picked up a set of the 850 Forged Mizunos and have them in the bag now and they're really nice, and some Miura 1957 wedges (56K bent to 55 and 59C bent to 60) and so far I like them as well. So USDM but still Japan forged. I love my Vokey 58K wedge, it's so user friendly, but it will never quite feel like a Miura, Yururi, etc.

I think I will likely stick to all Japanese forged irons and wedges from here on out, have toyed with going back to others but just can't, it really isn't the same, although the Cobra Pro forged stuff feels nice, and some of the Cally forged. Titleist is too firm feeling for me in general. (Go ahead and flame me for claiming to tell a difference in feel) But I do think I will likely stick with USDM woods at least for a while. As someone who is working to improve, I think USDM woods offer more in terms of forgiveness with somewhat lower spin than many JDM drivers and 3 woods. And the adjustability/ease of shaft changes are valuable assets as well, with our changing conditions, and my changing swing.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

First off i have a hard time calling it USDM. Maybe it should really be called CDM (China) or TDM (Taiwan or Thailand) or PDM (Phillipines). Any way you slice it nothing is manufactured here in the US (the big boys that is).

Second, ive been with proper JDM (I exclude Miura USA from JDM) for 3 years or so and I have ZERO urge to go back to TM, Ping, Cally, Titleist etc...
Also, part of the reason I wont go back is the 3 month product cycle of US clubs

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

[quote name='mr.haha' timestamp='1411536897' post='10173479']
Second, ive been with proper JDM (I exclude Miura USA from JDM) for 3 years or so and I have ZERO urge to go back to TM, Ping, Cally, Titleist etc...
Also, part of the reason I wont go back is the 3 month product cycle of US clubs
[/quote]

This is something I hadn't really considered as well...buying US equipment with their product cycles makes the last iteration of clubs seem almost "obsolete" as soon as the newest stuff comes out. However, JDM really doesn't have that quick of a product cycle, and even when new stuff does come out, I still feel like the designs are almost timeless and won't ever be "obsolete." For example, although my CB-202s are a relatively old model, I feel like they are still quite relevant even when compared to the new stuff coming out.

PXG Darkness Operator

Try 2007 King Cobra Pro MB.
Very nice.
I also had Bridgestone J36 combo irons.
Tried Titleist 710MB and learnt what clicky meant !

With Ping Rapture V1 driver and Bobby Jones putter in my bag,
people know looking at my bag i love my gear !!!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

First off i have a hard time calling it USDM. Maybe it should really be called CDM (China) or TDM (Taiwan or Thailand) or PDM (Phillipines). Any way you slice it nothing is manufactured here in the US (the big boys that is).

[/quote]

USDM and JDM have nothing to do with where the product is manufactured or where the company is based. It refers to the market that the product is created for and marketed to. CDM would refer to products that are created to be marketed and sold within China and most of that product tends to be manufactured there as well since China is such a manufacturing juggernaut right now. There is also likely some JDM product that is manufactured outside of Japan as well.

USDM vs. JDM is not relevant to me. It's where the clubs are forged, example B'stone, Cally, Nike and few others outsource to ENDO and they produce solid feeling clubs. Aside from a few visual asthetics they are all in the same ballpark in terms of quality, performance, forgiveness, and feel.

Now take those same brands and put a cheaply produced GI club cast in China club in my hands and I will throw it in the garbage.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° .::. MRC Diamana GT 60X 14g F/4g R
Callaway Rogue ST LS 16.5° .::. Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75 | 04
Callaway Rogue ST Max 21° .::. Oban Revenge 85 | 04

Yonex N1-CB 4i .::. Fujikura Pro i95S
Yonex Ezone CB301 5-PW .::. KBS Tour FLT S+
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Black Onyx S400 TI
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd .::. Matrix U11-P01 for Piretti

Bettinardi BB1-LN Soft Carbon .::. MRC Diamana P135 2.0
Bridgestone Tour B XS

[/quote]

DM actually means "Domestic Market" which refers to the buying population. It's not a reference to place of manufacture.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='PepsiDuck' timestamp='1411452691' post='10167265']
How do you all feel about going back to USDM equipment after having owned and played with JDM equipment? Do you go back and forth freely, or do you look at USDM equipment as figuratively "inferior" and stick with JDM...?

I'm currently gaming a set of Miura CB-202s, my first foray into JDM clubs, and I'm considering putting together a combo set from a single manufacturer's CB/MB offerings. I know there are a lot of quality sets being put out by US companies, but I honestly feel like I'm holding myself back from considering them, and instead only wanting to replace JDM with JDM. I almost feel like any USDM iron set would be a "downgrade" from my current set...

What are your thoughts...?
[/quote]

When traveling I regularly play USDM (it's what is usually lent to me). USDM sets are perfectly fine but I just prefer the feel and aesthetic of JDM. I can't imagine ever going back to buying USDM gear (maybe if I didn't have the money anymore for JDM).

With regard to feeling like you're not considering quality sets from USDM, what sets exactly are these? I'm always hitting USDM clubs at the golf store and I don't feel like I'm biased against US clubs, I just really haven't found anything as good as my current set.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='IamMarkMac' timestamp='1411582438' post='10176243']
With regard to feeling like you're not considering quality sets from USDM, what sets exactly are these? I'm always hitting USDM clubs at the golf store and I don't feel like I'm biased against US clubs, I just really haven't found anything as good as my current set.
[/quote]

I was originally going to put together a combo set from the Epon line (703, 503, 302, Tour), but for half the price, I've also considered Taylormade Tour Preferred CB/MC/MB, Mizuno MP-4/64/54, and Titleist 714 MB/CB/AP2.

My fitter said a new TM TP MC is coming out in January, so I may wait for that...

PXG Darkness Operator

There isn't a new mc coming. There is an RSI TP coming which is closer to the CB. But with slots in the face and and a muti material design. I don't think you're going to like them and you'd be wasting your time waiting. And I've seen the designs for these as well. This isn't just hearsay.

[quote name='PepsiDuck' timestamp='1411585163' post='10176477']
[quote name='IamMarkMac' timestamp='1411582438' post='10176243']
[/quote]

I was originally going to put together a combo set from the Epon line (703, 503, 302, Tour), but for half the price, I've also considered Taylormade Tour Preferred CB/MC/MB, Mizuno MP-4/64/54, and Titleist 714 MB/CB/AP2.

My fitter said a new TM TP MC is coming out in January, so I may wait for that...
[/quote]

That's a good list. I've tried those all and only the Mizuno speaks to me. I'm a fan of TM GI offerings but don't feel the same about their players irons.

[quote name='IamMarkMac' timestamp='1411581595' post='10176129']
[/quote]

DM actually means "Domestic Market" which refers to the buying population. It's not a reference to place of manufacture.
[/quote]

This is an important and often missed bit of information....

For me, the bottom line is that the buyer has to decide exactly what's important to them...

If your bottom line is performance, you're going to be fine either way
If your bottom line is price, you'll want to stick with USDM
If your bottom line is spec tolerance off the line, it's JDM
If your bottom line is exclusivity, JDM wins there as well

For me, I tend to be a price/performance guy, so USDM wins all day long for me...

Sort of agree w jamboy. Performance...not much difference...look after some use, sound and especially feel, jdm is just much better. I don't count us Miura as jdm either as another poster said. can't go back (have tried) and it's like going from usda prime steak, cooked perfectly to eating mcdonalds...

Micky d's will get the job done but not as enjoyable.

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='kingarthur' timestamp='1411528774' post='10172933']
Don't have any problem with switching back and forth, for me the performance is the same if properly fitted.
[/quote]

Well said and then its down to personal preference.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - Ryoma D1 V-Spec TRPX Fabulous Ni-Ti - Titleist TSR2 Arch-Kams CA-01 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

All the responses have me even more undecided now...hahah...

It may come down to just hitting all those newer USDM models and comparing them side by side to my current irons which I love...

PXG Darkness Operator

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the rarity of JDM is very much a factor for me...as ridiculous as it sounds...and playing with clubs most people have never heard of appeals to me...

PXG Darkness Operator

[quote name='PepsiDuck' timestamp='1411967930' post='10203863']
The more I think about it, the more I realize that the rarity of JDM is very much a factor for me...as ridiculous as it sounds...and playing with clubs most people have never heard of appeals to me...
[/quote]

I'm more inclined to believe the partial exclusivity of a more expensive set creates the attraction. Over the decades I have seen sets of clubs made from the screws of the Queen Mary ( ? ), others embedded with genuine diamonds or some other precious stones or simply dressed up with the renderings of some artist.

Japanese made clubs just happen to have been made in a country wherein just about any product costs so much more because any and all aspects of life in that country truly costs so much more. The selling price is simply a reflection of the economy that product came from.

Shambles

That's probably part of it but I also think there are some cultural differences. They (the Japanese)tend to prioritize quality over quantity and price, tend to have less "stuff" and tend to keep it longer. Actually, quite a bit of jdm gear isn't made in japan. I have some epon af203s that were made at one of the endo factories in Thailand. They are very good quality. As other posters mentioned, jdm or usdm does refer to the market they're made for not where they're made.

It should be noted that many Japanese play and like usdm gear. Especially at the us price points. I remember some business contacts coming here. They wanted to go to golfsmith and stocked up big time....we're very happy.

The jdm market has a lot more options, both in brands and characteristics. It's daunting sometimes but now we have the internet.

I like the concept of having less but nicer stuff. It took me a long time to settle on the gear I like and have it built to my spec and tastes...it still changes now and then but the heads I have now (esp the irons) I will be gaming for a long time to come.

If you have the money and interest, by all means, pursue all the little boutique brands, if not but you like jdm and want to try I would stick to brands like epon, Yamaha, tour stage, etc...the most popular brand in japan is xxio. They have some high end stuff but one of the reasons they are so popular is they are relatively affordable...

153 Roddio M6s
Spoon Roddio F7s
Cleek Roddio F7s
21 Roddio hybrid ut i7s
705 5-A Muziik Bangvoo
213 54/60 Muziik Bangvoo
SC Kombi S

[quote name='Shambles' timestamp='1412101262' post='10212915']
[quote name='PepsiDuck' timestamp='1411967930' post='10203863']
[/quote]

I'm more inclined to believe the partial exclusivity of a more expensive set creates the attraction. Over the decades I have seen sets of clubs made from the screws of the Queen Mary ( ? ), others embedded with genuine diamonds or some other precious stones or simply dressed up with the renderings of some artist.

Japanese made clubs just happen to have been made in a country wherein just about any product costs so much more because any and all aspects of life in that country truly costs so much more. The selling price is simply a reflection of the economy that product came from.

Shambles
[/quote]

A reflection of economy, sure. But, to me, it is much more a reflection of the culture. The Japanese are perfectionists and single-minded in that pursuit. I find that attitude constantly in all aspects of their society. It made perfect sense to me that the Japanese would seek to create clubs to a higher standard than the rest of the world.

I use to play Titleist AP2's 5 years ago. I liked them but wanted more forgiveness. Tried the AP1 and didn't like its feel. Searched Titleist website found VG3's in 2010 liked the look bought a set from TourspecGolf and that was that. Just upgraded the 2010 to 2014 model VG3. I play the TM Gloire Reserve driver, I liked the feel of its ceramic face, again something not available here. I do plan to try the Titleist 915 when it comes out.

It had everything to do with what was offered in Japan fit what I wanted --not an attempt to be cool. If titleist made a AP1 forged available in the US, I would buy it. They have it in Korea but not here.

I am not a fan of the 3 month product cycles that seem to be the rage of TM and now Callaway as it devalues whatever you just bought is worthless.